Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 12:05:35 AM EDT
My son's getting into airsoft & I'm helping him get some equipment together.  As per field rules, he needs a helmet.

Thinking about getting him a non ballistic bump helmet since the real thing doesn't seem to be that much more expensive than a knock off.

But, that being said, I'm having a hard time telling the difference between knock offs and the real thing.  So...what would you guys suggest?

What about this?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have this works well for its purpose

https://www.botach.com/pt-a-bravo-helmets-w-dual-rail-mount/
and yes I know its Botact.  Maybe I have been lucky and no issues
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
PT Bravo from TNVC is the answer. USA made, only about $70 or $80, depending on which version you get. Both versions support rails and NVG mounts, plus they have goggle retention bungees. Also light and ventilated. 

PT Bravo half shell (linky).

PT Bravo full shell (linky).
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Pro-tec classic. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pro-tec classic. 
View Quote
Just order from someone aside from Pro-Tec themselves. They had lousy CS when I needed new foam for mine. 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PT Bravo from TNVC is the answer. USA made, only about $70 or $80, depending on which version you get. Both versions support rails and NVG mounts, plus they have goggle retention bungees. Also light and ventilated. 

PT Bravo half shell (linky).

PT Bravo full shell (linky).
View Quote
I'm leaning this way now.

Realistically, what's the difference/benefit of one cut over the other?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm leaning this way now.

Realistically, what's the difference/benefit of one cut over the other?
View Quote
Being able to wear ear-pro.

After hearing a few thundbee grenades in an enclosed area (plus one field promoter that liked firing 30-06 blanks in the staging area), I wear actual hearing protection for airsoft.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The half shell is for use with ear protection/comms. The full shell provides more coverage if that isn't a concern.

Edit: Iram beat me to the punch
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome. Thank you guys.

Not to add another layer to it, but...

My son & I have also been screwing around at an indoor climbing club & he's wanting to do some basic rappelling outside. Would a half cut helmet provide sufficient protection for that?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Awesome. Thank you guys.

My son & I have also been screwing around at an indoor climbing club & he's wanting to do some basic rappelling outside. Would a half cut helmet provide sufficient protection for that?
View Quote
I'm guessing a half cut would be fine for that. It doesn't really take much off the full cut, it's just cut a bit higher around the ears to make room for Sordin/Peltor/etc. style comms/hearing protection. 

If you will not be wearing any comms gear or the aforementioned hearing protection with the helemts I would get the full cut. If you do want to be able to have easy comms/earpro interface get the half cut. 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Awesome. Thank you guys.

View Quote
I'm not a rock climber, but I've seen plenty of half-cut helmets at REI and skateboarding places.

Assuming "indoor" means "above a flat floor", you'll probably be fine with a half-cut helmet. About the only place it would make a difference is if you fall, ear-first, onto something that's going to penetrate into your ear without touching the parts of the helmet around your ear.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again guys.

Looks like I'll be putting together a TNVC order here in a bit.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks again guys.

View Quote
If you think you might ever want NVGs, get the helmet pre-drilled.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks again guys.

I've slowly been saving for NVGs, so I should check on it.  On TNVC's site, part of the description reads:

"NVG drill pattern includes Norotos/Wilcox/VAS shroud types (rectangular and triangular)."

Does that mean that all of their helmets are predrilled or is this something I need to specifically request?

@TNVC - are you around to answer this question?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've slowly been saving for NVGs, so I should check on it.  On TNVC's site, part of the description reads:

"NVG drill pattern includes Norotos/Wilcox/VAS shroud types (rectangular and triangular)."

Does that mean that all of their helmets are predrilled or is this something I need to specifically request?

@TNVC - are you around to answer this question?
View Quote
Now that I'm in front of a regular keyboard...

According to the manufacturer, you can drill a single hole and use a surplus ACH NVG mount without modifying the mount. I've tried, couldn't get it working. Had to add a bunch of spacers just to get the mount tight, and even then the angle's funky.
Manufacturer also claims that a PASGT NVG mount will also work, but that requires holes to be drilled AND modification to the mount. I haven't tried that.

There's a lot of manufacturer options on those protec helmets if you're willing to order direct. Their Customer Service are a bunch of liars that like to sit on pineapples, so I'd recommend going through a dealer like TNVC. I think the TNVC helmets have most of the optional add-ons, but you want to check on the NVG mount; if it's important to you, I'd order it with the mount. Only possible issue with the offerings from TNVC is they don't (last time I looked) carry a size 2XL.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my helmet today. FYI - apparently TNVC is not going to stock these any more because all they have left is XL grey helmets.

Attachment Attached File

When I see pictures of people wearing these things they all look so high speed, low drag. I put mine on & look like I have Down syndrome.

Oh well, it can be adjusted to fit my son & serves its purpose.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got my helmet today. FYI - apparently TNVC is not going to stock these any more because all they have left is XL grey helmets.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/image-214052.JPG

When I see pictures of people wearing these things they all look so high speed, low drag. I put mine on & look like I have Down syndrome.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Just order direct from Pro-Tec, looks like they have a Maritime Ops Core style bump for $70
https://www.protechelmet.com/products.asp?cat=14
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just order direct from Pro-Tec, looks like they have a Maritime Ops Core style bump for $70
View Quote
Care to do a quick review when you get it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
When I see "one size fits all", a high-cut helmet with rails and an NVG mount for $70, and it's a blatant knock-off of someone else's design, it just screams "airsoft clone".

Not sure it matters much for a light use bump helmet, but I wouldn't want to go rock climbing with it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I see "one size fits all", a high-cut helmet with rails and an NVG mount for $70, and it's a blatant knock-off of someone else's design, it just screams "airsoft clone".

Not sure it matters much for a light use bump helmet, but I wouldn't want to go rock climbing with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone else's design? The Delta guys in Somalia were using Protec hockey helmets. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Someone else's design? The Delta guys in Somalia were using Protec hockey helmets. 
View Quote
We're not talking about the same helmets.

Look at the top three helmets in the link I quoted.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, they're using Ops-Core parts afaik so I don't know if I'd call them a clone, but they do look similar. 

Regardless I'd be leery just because of their questionable service. If I really wanted one I'd order from TNVC if they have them. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you want me to do a review of the Bravo I bought or stoner63 to do a review of the ones he linked to?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, they're using Ops-Core parts afaik so I don't know if I'd call them a clone, but they do look similar. 

Regardless I'd be leery just because of their questionable service. If I really wanted one I'd order from TNVC if they have them. 
View Quote
Where do you see them say it uses genuine Ops-Core parts?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not 100%, but they're calling them Arc rails and that's an OpsCore trademark and patent. It would be pretty risky for a large and well known company to rip something off that blatantly. 

Might be worth an email regardless. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not 100%, but they're calling them Arc rails and that's an OpsCore trademark and patent. It would be pretty risky for a large and well known company to rip something off that blatantly. 

Might be worth an email regardless. 
View Quote
I didn't realize "Arc rail" was an OpsCore trademark.

I just checked a couple airsoft websites, and sure enough, none of the knock-offs have "arc" in the rail description. A few items tagged with "arc" as a keyword (mostly helmets around $70 that were obviously OpsCore knock-offs) and a few "arc compatible" accessories, but that's it.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
The Emerson clone helmets are actually quite nice for a knock off piece of gear.  One of the downsides is they only come in one size instead of two like the actual OpsCore units.  They do take all OpsCore accessories though.  And the padding and impact protection pieces seem to be as good as other helmets I've looked at.  Here's mine.  Didn't need a Ballastic helmet just a simple bump unit for some of the stuff I do and didn't see the point in big bucks.  

Also the Pro Tech "advanced tactical helmets" are just Emerson airsoft clone helmets.  Nothing wrong with them but you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

I've used mine for mine exploring when I was still stationed in SOCAL and it helped protect me from more than a few head knocks, used it alot recently for rappelling duty after comparing it to something like a Petzel climbing helmet and just wasn't impressed with the suspension/impact pieces in the Petzel helmets even compared to the Emerson clones.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#28]

It's your head and all but realize that real climbing helmets are rated as such.  Unlike Emerson, etc.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just order from someone aside from Pro-Tec themselves. They had lousy CS when I needed new foam for mine. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pro-tec classic. 
Wouldn't you have to deal with CS for new foam regardless of the seller?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/image-214052.JPG

View Quote
LOL.  I had a similar experience.  Oh well, I'm married with 3 kids.  I don't have to look cool anymore.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pro-tec classic. 
I bought direct from Pro-Tec and got the wrong size of foam... they said they'd replace it and then stopped responding. I ended up just ordering another set 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I bought direct from Pro-Tec and got the wrong size of foam... they said they'd replace it and then stopped responding. I ended up just ordering another set 
View Quote
That's similar to my experience with them. Took months to ship, and CS lied to me about the ship date several times.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awesome. Thank you guys.

View Quote
I'm going to take a wild stab and say that non-climbing helmets will not protect the head in the manner that climbing helmets will. You wouldn't use a bicycle helmet for skiing, etc..

That said, I've never seen an indoor climbing gym require helmets.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Awesome. Thank you guys.

View Quote
Although climbing helmets can protect you during a fall.  The are mostly used to protect the head from falling rock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top