Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 4:23:12 AM EDT
I am looking to upgrade to a less ghetto battle belt and am hoping to get some good input from some of you more experienced fellas.

I'm looking at a couple different kinds of belts.  If there is something I'm missing, let me know.  I'll be using kywi mag pouches that I already have,  and a safariland ALS that I already have.

First kind - AWS inner/outer.  Everyone that has seems to like them.  but unlike some of the other options they don't seem as quick to put on.  Should that be a consideration at all? A more complex system in some ways, amirite? Does that matter for practical use either? I guess the esstac belt is similar to this one?

Second kind - HSGI slim grip- simple, sort of self contained molle platform with more padding  that can be thrown on quickly  over regular belt, instead of being looped thru pants like AWS inner belt (I think).  How would this compare in comfort and practicality to the AWS? Does riding higher on the hips support weight better?  The slim grip that's lower profile seems a bit more attractive than the suregrip (2 molle.height vs 3 height)..  is there any downside to the lower profile slim grip?  

Is the second kind with more padding more comfortable and practical?  It seems to ride higher on the hips than fhe aws type, which goes through pant loops.  

It Will be used for general purpose, shooting and training from field positions, part of grab n go kit, desert blasting, maybe a little hunting, etc.  A couple rifle mags, a couple pistol mags, flashlight, Leatherman, ifak kit.

I like the idea of just being able to slap the self contained hsgi unit on, but if the aws or esstac is significantly more comfortable I could make exceptions...  I do have a cobra belt I use pretty much every day with jeans etc, if it matters.  So I'm not that concerned with pants falling down if using the hsgi style molle setup.  I can use a safariland UBL to lower my holster(s) If necessary. Not looking to incorporate a drop leg.    

Definitely continuing to use the kywi pouches, as I mentioned.

I had been just putting the kywi pouches and safariland on my cobra belt in between the belt loops, but that is barely functional.  Belt is nowhere near stiff enough and it's super slow and a pain in the ass to gear up.  I'd like to have a loaded battle belt ready to go at all times.

Thanks in advance for the pointers. !!!

ETA - If it matters I have a 32-34" waist. 180 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Just an aside - If there is another hsgi style system that people like more or think is a better value, lemme know.  I noticed this ATS one, but don't know anything about the company.  The price is right, 67 bucks for both inner belt and molle sleeve, and has velcro mating between the two:

Look at this on eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j1xbfc7tin00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F331284853294

I am mainly need help in deciding which kind of system I should get.  Loop thru velcro with velcro exterior that rides at regular belt height, or padded molle sleeve style that rides on hips, independent of belt loops.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Crye Precision Modular Riggers Belt
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crye Precision Modular Riggers Belt
View Quote
It's a good lookin belt
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I use HSGI grip liner on Ronin, AWS, or Volund belts when I need to go over a non velcro liner belt. Or velcro liner belt if I am kitting up just for wearing the battle belt, best of both worlds. Both work great. Why just go one way or the other? My favorite belt is my Ronin.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use HSGI grip liner on Ronin, AWS, or Volund belts when I need to go over a non velcro liner belt. Or velcro liner belt if I am kitting up just for wearing the battle belt, best of both worlds. Both work great. Why just go one way or the other? My favorite belt is my Ronin.
View Quote
The Crye is kinda like that huh?

Im kinda leaning toward getting an esstac at the moment.  Never used a rigid inner/outer system before.

Many of the Crye reviews show people not using the crye inner belt, but the sleeve looks nice.

The hsgi doesnt come with a inner belt so i guess theres nothing stopping anyone from tryimg mean, I have a edc/ccw cobra buckles belt, but it's non reinforced and probably wouldn't be stiff enough to be a hsgi inner belt...

..or would it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You mentioned hunting. Go for the hsgi padded warbelt. Or even a cheaper USMC warbelt off eBay. I use one for hunting and my training, bump in the night, red Dawn belt is the hsgi.

I like being able to grab my gear and go, even in I'm in boxers, or a winter coat, etc. I also use suspenders primarily so I can drop a duce and still have a gun ready to go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the old style HSGI slim grip before the slotted version.

This is my setup when fully loaded for a class. If I'm in a more controlled environment, I can easily take off the GP pouch, med pouch, and TQ holder.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the over all usefulness of the AWS system is slightly better than the belt sleeve stuff.  

When you use it with the inner belt, its rock solid and relatively comfortable.  

If you want it as a "grab and go" set up it can be used that way as well.  Just not going to be as comfortable as a padded belt for long durations.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the inner-outer systems less comfortable for long durations than fatter battle belt setups, in generalight?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are the inner-outer systems less comfortable for long durations than fatter battle belt setups, in generalight?  
View Quote

The added padding makes a lot of difference when you're wearing it all day. Suspenders help with comfort a lot, too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, not unless you overload it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, as was said not unless you overload it.  I've never needed suspenders with this setup
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Im kinda leaning toward getting an esstac at the moment.  Never used a rigid inner/outer system before.

Many of the Crye reviews show people not using the crye inner belt, but the sleeve looks nice.

The hsgi doesnt come with a inner belt so i guess theres nothing stopping anyone from tryimg mean, I have a edc/ccw cobra buckles belt, but it's non reinforced and probably wouldn't be stiff enough to be a hsgi inner belt...

..or would it?
View Quote
No, not really similar. You are discussing full size padded war belts vs slim micro battle belts. The Crye is inner and outter yes, but it is really full sized. It is the only full sized inner and outter set up I know of.

I'm talking about a micro belt... so a 1.75" or 2" belt that uses an outter and inner, but not using the normal inner belt at times and using a micro grip belt panel which is a grippy padded liner so it can go over non velcro belts for more padding and comfort, but less stability.

https://youtu.be/vc4fjXdTFXA

To me this is the best of both worlds. Inner/outter for times you can run the proprietary inner belt. Padded war belt style when you have to throw over any other belt or clothing that covers a belt.

All this in a 1.75" or 2" wide package.

Crye is full sized, limits front of belt carry options, and you is more like a cross between a full sized war belt and a police inner outter duty belt that uses velcro and keepers. There is no padding or padding option as it comes from Crye. You could add the micro grip belt panel above to it, but it is still a full 3" or wider full on warbelt size.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#14]
To reitterate what fully loaded but not overloaded is, in total comfort, I run:

1 double Esstac KWYI pistol mags with 2 G17 mags
1 Emdom Universal rifle mag pouch with Motorola APX 6000 radio
1 Emmdom Universal rifle mag pouch with 30 round magazine
1 ForceTech flashlight holder with Surefire 2 cell light.
1 Blue Force Gear Ultralight dump pouch
1 AWS medical "pull away" kit with full IFAK (TQ, Quickclot, NPA, pressure dressing, gauze, medical tape, etc.)
1 Grimlock carabiner with PIG Alpha gloves
1 Blue Force Gear cuff pouch with cuff
1 G Code optimal drop holding Safariland 6354DO with G17/X300U/Leupold Deltapoint Pro
1 Emdom/MM Dragster with 1 small and 1 large lock gate carabiner.

All that is on a Large Ronin Task Force belt. Every inch is full. I'm afraid to lose weight because I might lose molle real estate and my belt is at the smallest possible adjustment and without the micro grip panel mentioned above it is on the verge of too big. I wonder if it would all fit on a Medium.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No, not really similar. You are discussing full size padded war belts vs slim micro battle belts. The Crye is inner and outter yes, but it is really full sized. It is the only full sized inner and outter set up I know of.

I'm talking about a micro belt... so a 1.75" or 2" belt that uses an outter and inner, but not using the normal inner belt at times and using a micro grip belt panel which is a grippy padded liner so it can go over non velcro belts for more padding and comfort, but less stability.

To me this is the best of both worlds. Inner/outter for times you can run the proprietary inner belt. Padded war belt style when you have to throw over any other belt or clothing that covers a belt.

Crye is full sized, limits front of belt carry options, and you is more like a cross between a full sized war belt and a police inner outter duty belt that uses velcro and keepers. There is no padding or padding option as it comes from Crye. You could add the micro grip belt panel above to it, but it is still a full 3" or wider full on warbelt size.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

..or would it?

Oh that looks siiick.  I dig it.  I dig it hard.

Been looking more, and it seems like esstac is the ticket for the inner/outer for me, with the hsgi pad I'll be g2g with heavy winter clothing too etc..  I was like "welllllllll it doesn't lock pouches into place like the ronin," but i saw some pics of people using velcro to do just that.., and that there is like the maximum possible adjustment/space combo that any belt can have.  Yeah, it's all coming together

This looks like it addresses all muh issues!
Thanks for explaining.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Personal view---

Ronin belt is optimal overall.

I have gone from maximum MOLLE type Crye Blast belts all the way to minimalist AWS/Ronin and the Ronin belt is the best bet IMO.

Less is more...smaller buckles, smaller ends, minimal two row MOLLE.  Stiff is a must...velcro to inner belt.

If you intend to carry any real weight, add suspenders...or your pants will droop at the wrong time.  There is a limit to how much you can put on a belt and keep your pants up if you are running full sprint.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't need suspenders with mine. But I agree Ronin is the best belt. The thing the OP is not considering is the stability of pouches. Ronin using a .75" spacing allows MOLLE to fit tight on the belt. A half ass solution like velcro to hold MOLLE pouches is going to be sloppy and loose and lead to another belt purchase within 6 months I guarantee.

My suggestions... save money and get a JPC for a carrier, but spend money and get a Ronin belt. There really is no viable alternative that is as stable for less money. I have an AWS and Volund too. Neither works as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Personal view---

I have gone from maximum MOLLE type Crye Blast belts all the way to minimalist AWS/Ronin and the Ronin belt is the best bet IMO.

Less is more...smaller buckles, smaller ends, minimal two row MOLLE.  Stiff is a must...velcro to inner belt.

If you intend to carry any real weight, add suspenders...or your pants will droop at the wrong time.  There is a limit to how much you can put on a belt and keep your pants up if you are running full sprint.  

Good luck.
View Quote
I think the inner/outer belt is optional for somethings, but not all.

Cold weather hunting for one.

I know you can't see it well but it's a USMC warbelt. Wearing it from sun up to sunset for a week at a time was very comfortable.

My hsgi suregrip belt is set up similarly but I don't have a canteen or possibles pouch for food and TP on it.

I wouldn't recommend setting up an optimal belt for every use you listed. If you want the best belt for training, range use, and competitions you'll want something different than for a grab and go or hunting rig.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Battle belts and hunting rigs are like apples and oranges isn't it ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought one of these so I have the option to use my Ronin belt as a quick deployment belt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought one of these so I have the option to use my Ronin belt as a quick deployment belt.  Still keeps it low profile.

http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/micro-grip-95MG.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Op said he wants to use it hunting
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't need suspenders with mine. But I agree Ronin is the best belt. The thing the OP is not considering is the stability of pouches. Ronin using a .75" spacing allows MOLLE to fit tight on the belt. A half ass solution like velcro to hold MOLLE pouches is going to be sloppy and loose and lead to another belt purchase within 6 months I guarantee.

My suggestions... save money and get a JPC for a carrier, but spend money and get a Ronin belt. There really is no viable alternative that is as stable for less money. I have an AWS and Volund too. Neither works as well.
View Quote
Esstac makes special clips for their belts too, they suggest getting those too and augmenting with velcro if necessary.  I mean, I know people that have the esstac that really like it.  But there aren't really any reviews yet.  And I seen them in person they are super nice.

I basically figured that I had to get the ronin but talking to ppl it seems like I can get the esstac to do the same, perhaps even more as its not limited to the slots.  Idk, nobody in this thread has the esstac. It is super nice.  It's def between it and the ronin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Personal view---

Good luck.
View Quote
Yeah the people I know who have the AWS are starting to think it's too big compared to some other similar options.  The inner is 2" and sorta limits you to tacticool pants
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i63.tinypic.com/vfuv0o.jpg

I know you can't see it well but it's a USMC warbelt. Wearing it from sun up to sunset for a week at a time was very comfortable.

My hsgi suregrip belt is set up similarly but I don't have a canteen or possibles pouch for food and TP on it.

I wouldn't recommend setting up an optimal belt for every use you listed. If you want the best belt for training, range use, and competitions you'll want something different than for a grab and go or hunting rig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personal view---

Good luck.

http://i63.tinypic.com/vfuv0o.jpg

A stiff outer belt with the microgrip seems to be the plan.  It's cold as fuck half the year and belt loops aren't accessible...  I think the microgrip will handle going on top of long jackets.  But the usmc belt  great value
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mean, like maybe sorta.  We'll see..  Obviously not all loaded up.  Maybe just canteen and med kit.  That isn't a big deal tho, I guess I was kinda just alluding to wanting something that you could mess around in the mountains and high Desert with all day.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#27]
My main issue with the ronin it seems is that the inner belt is 2"..   1.75 will fit all my normal pants.  2" wont.

I have a buddy wirh the AWS which is the same deal and he's starting to slowly hate it because of the 2" inner belt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah the people I know who have the AWS are starting to think it's too big compared to some other similar options.  The inner is 2" and sorta limits you to tacticool pants
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personal view---

Good luck.
As an AWS owner, I think its the best bang for the buck. The inner Velcro belt is a bit wide., but I bought several aftermarket tan Velcro belts at 1.5" that work with all belt loops.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#29]
While we're at it, anyone have any input on the TYR belt system?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
While we're at it, anyone have any input on the TYR belt system?  

~Augee
View Quote
Which one?  I have the old one that was similar to a padded version of a minimal MOLLE belt...but they also have a couple of newer belt kits including a hybrid "Jungle" kit that is similar to modernice ALICE gear with belt kit and suspenders...

TYR is good gear but wow...wait times measured in months to years.

I will say though, I think their hybrid plate carrier/vest system is the best one on the market.  If I could pick armor (I can't, I get mayflower or nothing), I would pick the TYR vest.  It is akin to a plate carrier + about 2/3 of a soft vest...what I had hoped the Army's plate carrier system would be.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:53:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorry, I should have been more specific.  

I meant their "Gunfighter Belt Kit," it's similar to the Ronin; minimalist with two rows of "short" MOLLE, inner/outer belt system, or can be used as an outer belt-only using the "spacer mesh."  

I've used plenty of TYR stuff before and like the stuff I've used, but I'm not really a "warbelt" type--in the past, I attached/threaded what I needed directly onto my rigger's belt, however, I've been considering getting one of these "minimalist" inner/outer belts myself, as they seem to be adequately slim and simple for me, while still allowing me to remove the pouches/belt when I don't need them, so they're not semi-permanently attached to my pants.  Only question now, with a couple of these belts on the market, which to choose.  

Been looking at the TYR, Ronin, AWS, and Crye MRB as possible options, all of which have been discussed, at least in passing, except for the TYR.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:03:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I have that exact one.  It's floppy.

It would be great...if they used SCUBA webbing or similar...but it is soft nylon so anything heavy flops back and forth when you move.  On the plus side...comfortable in a vehicle sitting down.  However, not so hot if you put 30 round mags on it and try to run.

It does not support a holster.  You would have to run a drop leg with a strap or similar.  

It's not a bad belt...but it won't support anything heavy like mags or a radio.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Hmmm. I wonder if someone would make a neoprene pad that could attach to a stiffer outer belt?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Tyr uses the opposite male/female velcro as AWS, Ronin, and Volund so keep that in mind. As far as Ronin or AWS using that 2" inner belt (which I like because it keeps the hook Velcro from being misplaced and over the edge of the loop field and tearing up your shirt and pants with the hook). Get a slimmer belt for slimmer pants loops, Ronin sells one HERE and get the micro-grip belt pad from HSGI for every other situation.

I also use belt accessories straight on the belt, which I cannot do as easily on the Volundgearworks Micro war belt, due to it being TOO thick and stiff, not to mention 2" wide instead of 1.75" wide. So molle fits better on the Ronin because the inner section is .75" instead of 1" so it removes slack AND it fits regular belt mounted stuff better too (like my holster, cuff case, dragster strap case, etc.) but when you CAN get molle you WANT to use molle because it so much more secure and does not shift on you, either in wiggling or wobbling in place or sliding up or down or back and forth on the belt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Hsgi makes a micro neoprene pad with both hook and loop choices.  I have one on my Ronin for quick deployment but I would definitely use the Ronin inter belt If I have the time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Going back to the original OP here, I think they are two main choices.   The first is the inner/outer belts being discussed, and the second not really touched on would be kind of an old school belt and suspenders rig.  I like the new micro belts, from the standpoint of belt rigidity, and so forth, but I don't like to depend on so much Velcro.  It works in certain apps, but can be a pain in the ass in field settings.  I have run a AWS rig, with my own 1 1/2" inner belt and it's a decent system.  I use a double thickness of 1 1/2" webbing, sewn as a 5-stitch belt, with loop Velcro on the outside to mate with the outer belt.  I will run a paddle on my ALS holster and mag pouches for every day carry, and remove them if I want to upgrade to the full belt kit.  This works and it's probably what most guys are doing these days.

The other option is to go old school ranger style, with a gun belt of your choice and shoulder straps.  This is definitely more comfortable, for longer stretches out patrolling or hunting in the bush (or desert as the case may be).  The belt is worn looser, so the load can ride up or down on the shoulder straps, when sitting or standing.  

So, one belt is made for pure gunfighting, the other mostly for patrolling in, although it will do in a pinch.  Kinda depends on what you will spend the majority of your time doing in it.  I have both belt kits, (well, actually 3) and use them for the different applications.

A word on Velcro.  It works great, but, it wears out, it clogs with shit, it's loud, and it will snag the shit out of your fancy duds.  I try to minimize it's use these days.  It might simply come down to using 4 keepers like traditional police belts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Going back to the original OP here, I think they are two main choices.   The first is the inner/outer belts being discussed, and the second not really touched on would be kind of an old school belt and suspenders rig.  I like the new micro belts, from the standpoint of belt rigidity, and so forth, but I don't like to depend on so much Velcro.  It works in certain apps, but can be a pain in the ass in field settings.  I have run a AWS rig, with my own 1 1/2" inner belt and it's a decent system.  I use a double thickness of 1 1/2" webbing, sewn as a 5-stitch belt, with loop Velcro on the outside to mate with the outer belt.  I will run a paddle on my ALS holster and mag pouches for every day carry, and remove them if I want to upgrade to the full belt kit.  This works and it's probably what most guys are doing these days.

The other option is to go old school ranger style, with a gun belt of your choice and shoulder straps.  This is definitely more comfortable, for longer stretches out patrolling or hunting in the bush (or desert as the case may be).  The belt is worn looser, so the load can ride up or down on the shoulder straps, when sitting or standing.  

So, one belt is made for pure gunfighting, the other mostly for patrolling in, although it will do in a pinch.  Kinda depends on what you will spend the majority of your time doing in it.  I have both belt kits, (well, actually 3) and use them for the different applications.

A word on Velcro.  It works great, but, it wears out, it clogs with shit, it's loud, and it will snag the shit out of your fancy duds.  I try to minimize it's use these days.  It might simply come down to using 4 keepers like traditional police belts.
View Quote
As far as wearing out, I have found that the loop section of Velcro is what wears out, not really the hook as much. That is another reason I like loop inner belts and hook micro battle belts so that i can just replace the inner belt with the hook Velcro and not the whole micro battle belt.
As far as noise, it makes no noise coming off, not going on and only makes noise when I am done with wearing it a the end of the day. Who cares about noise at that point?
As far as comfort, yesterday I wore it all day in class with the HSGI grippy pad and and it popped up over my 5.11 riggers belt in the back after a couple hours from me sitting down between shooting strings but never moved more after that. Today I used the Velcro inner belt and it never moved. We did some walk troughs of room clearings and removed our rifles and armor to cool off and discuss what we did. I ended up actually forgetting I had the belt on at all, which was completely loaded up and has gear covering ever molle loop available (you cannot fit more on it). I didn't even realize I was still wearing it until I got in my truck to drive home at the end of the day and my medical pouch on my lower back left me pushed forward close to the steering wheel. I just slid the seat back an inch and drove home because it was not uncomfortable. To me its a great choice for comfort, even loaded up and for long wear. Its not a place for canteens, binoculars, food, and other similar gear you might place on a full sized war belt, though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#38]
My comment on Velcro is for field ops.  Obviously in more urban settings, CQB and so forth, it's not that much of an issue.  But for say an extended patrol out in the bush, yeah it's a consideration, unless you don't plan on taking any kit off for several days.  I'll give you two examples.  They may or may not apply to you, but for what it's worth.  You button hook back around and secure your RON site.  Your buddy is taking first watch so you do some admin and settle down for some z's.  It would be nice to be able to loosen your belt kit after all day in the harness.  Loosening all that Velcro is gonna be a no-go in a tactical setting.  Same with a plate carrier.  You may or may not patrol in it, depending on the likelihood of enemy contact.  You might only wear it for actions in the obj area.  It would be nice to be able to take it on and off without alerting everyone in your grid square.  Also, lets say you make chance contact.  You break contact, fall back one terrain feature, and consolidate.  You redistribute ammo and plus up your chest rig or belt.  Can you imagine the noise 4 guys are gonna make with all those Velcro pouches?  Versus having silent tuck tabs.  That's where I'm coming from on Velcro.  It may or may not apply to you.    

Like I said I think the 2-part micro belt has it's place.  For urban ops, where no cold weather clothing is required, it fits a nice niche.  On the med pouch.  I'm working on one that is horizontally arrayed, so you can do exactly what you're describing, driving a vehicle and such.  So yeah if you did need to be jocked up and driving (or riding) somewhere, it's easier to do than with a vertical pouch sticking up your ass.  

So yeah apples n oranges.  If the OP is gonna do some rural patrolling/hunting, then an old school belt kit with suspenders might do the trick. With minimized Velcro, depending on sit.   But for urban, fair weather ops, yeah the micro belt works well.  Terrain and situation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#39]
For cold weather, I just open the AWS belt a little and run it outside my cold weather gear... works fine.

No body is a super fast quick draw when its -3 degrees F out...
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I am looking at a HSGI Slim-Grip Slotted Belt with a Cobra Riggers Belt.
I want to be able to slap this on my waist without fooling with my pants belt loops. Is this possible/acceptable with this set-up?

I am a size 36 waist. Sometimes (summer) I'll wear 34's.

The medium Cobra Belt is 32"-34".
The large is 36"-38".

The medium Slim-Grip is 39" end to end.
The large is 44" end to end.

I have no idea which to order for this set-up!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sorry, I should have been more specific.  

I meant their "Gunfighter Belt Kit," it's similar to the Ronin; minimalist with two rows of "short" MOLLE, inner/outer belt system, or can be used as an outer belt-only using the "spacer mesh."  

http://www.tyrtactical.com/_ui/images/products/gfbkitmain.png

I've used plenty of TYR stuff before and like the stuff I've used, but I'm not really a "warbelt" type--in the past, I attached/threaded what I needed directly onto my rigger's belt, however, I've been considering getting one of these "minimalist" inner/outer belts myself, as they seem to be adequately slim and simple for me, while still allowing me to remove the pouches/belt when I don't need them, so they're not semi-permanently attached to my pants.  Only question now, with a couple of these belts on the market, which to choose.  

Been looking at the TYR, Ronin, AWS, and Crye MRB as possible options, all of which have been discussed, at least in passing, except for the TYR.  

~Augee
View Quote
I really like the Gunfighter belt. Seems to fit well and the inner belt is a nice idea.  I wanted the ARES Armor Micro belt but when they went under I went with TYR.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I have the HSGI Slim Grip and like it
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My comment on Velcro is for field ops.  Obviously in more urban settings, CQB and so forth, it's not that much of an issue.  But for say an extended patrol out in the bush, yeah it's a consideration, unless you don't plan on taking any kit off for several days.  I'll give you two examples.  They may or may not apply to you, but for what it's worth.  You button hook back around and secure your RON site.  Your buddy is taking first watch so you do some admin and settle down for some z's.  It would be nice to be able to loosen your belt kit after all day in the harness.  Loosening all that Velcro is gonna be a no-go in a tactical setting.  Same with a plate carrier.  You may or may not patrol in it, depending on the likelihood of enemy contact.  You might only wear it for actions in the obj area.  It would be nice to be able to take it on and off without alerting everyone in your grid square.  Also, lets say you make chance contact.  You break contact, fall back one terrain feature, and consolidate.  You redistribute ammo and plus up your chest rig or belt.  Can you imagine the noise 4 guys are gonna make with all those Velcro pouches?  Versus having silent tuck tabs.  That's where I'm coming from on Velcro.  It may or may not apply to you.    

Like I said I think the 2-part micro belt has it's place.  For urban ops, where no cold weather clothing is required, it fits a nice niche.  On the med pouch.  I'm working on one that is horizontally arrayed, so you can do exactly what you're describing, driving a vehicle and such.  So yeah if you did need to be jocked up and driving (or riding) somewhere, it's easier to do than with a vertical pouch sticking up your ass.  

So yeah apples n oranges.  If the OP is gonna do some rural patrolling/hunting, then an old school belt kit with suspenders might do the trick. With minimized Velcro, depending on sit.   But for urban, fair weather ops, yeah the micro belt works well.  Terrain and situation.
View Quote
The HSGI liner makes for silent don and doff. Goes over cold weather gear too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The medium Cobra Belt is 32"-34".
The large is 36"-38".

The medium Slim-Grip is 39" end to end.
The large is 44" end to end.

I have no idea which to order for this set-up!
View Quote
yes this is exactly how i have mine set up. hsgi slim grip slotted with cobra riggers belt. most important thing is to get yourself a good flexible cloth yard of measuring tape and measure yourself over the clothes you're going to be wearing with the belt. for me this presented a bit of a challenge. i'm waist size 34 naturally, but with jeans / shorts and a belt it gets to 36-37. add to this the padding of the slotted belt and it was clear i needed 39" end to end with an extra large belt (40-42"). for me over all the clothes this allowed a nice 3" or so gap for the belt buckle. some prefer the ends to touch or even overlap, so the 44" might be the way to go for you. the cobra belt has a ton of extra room and i probably could have gone with a large instead of extra large. my thinking though is that in the winter i'd like to be able to throw the belt over sweatshirts or whatever i'm wearing and not have an issue, and while the current config is big, i can easily tuck the excess into the velcro and keep it out of the way. works great and i have outstanding flexibility whether i'm putting it on wearing just underwear to investigate bumps in the night or putting it on over full clothes to carry around the property

when you go to install this setup i strongly recommend heading over to home depot and spending $3 for their somewhat flexible aluminum yardstick. feed the yardstick through the slotted belt, weaving it exactly as you want it to be (slotted or exposed belt). then you can feed the cobra belt through and not worry about it getting stuck on the velcro. really easy to set up and shockingly easy to reposition if you want to move the belt over a little
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Just picked up the Ronin 1 1/2 inch inner belt for those occasions where the 2 incher wont fit.  Initial impressions are that its made of the same webbing but not as stiff as the wider belt.  I'll see how it works....

Heres me running the AWS this past weekend...rock solid and zero comfort issues

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top