Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 9:25:49 AM EDT
I have had a problem with wire routing on my plate carrier. I have a PTT that has a coiled wire routed up from my weak side shoulder, down my back, and across my cummerbund, then down to my radio.

I am in need of some sort of tubing to route the wire through, as I have had the coiled cable cover separate. I was forced to use electric tape to fix it, before the wires inside were damaged. The issue I am having is my wire is coiled on the PTT, from the factory, almost the entire length. Also, I have a giant wired PTT on one end and a giant wired Morotrolla APX connector on the other, with no plug to pull off. I know many people use hydration tube covers for this but I don't have a slim Nexus plug on one end with straight wire which would be a simple fix.

The reason my wire jacket split IMO is stress on the coiled wire and heat cycles/stresses from storage in a drawer in the back of my Tahoe. I have looked for a simple multicam tube with velcro on the edges, but oddly no such product seems to exit. Hard automotive wire loom is black and noisy. I'd like something that could accommodate my antenna relocaton wire AND my coiled wire at the same time.

What product am I looking for?  Just using wire ties, velcro, etc. to secure bare wire is a no go for me as it will eventually cut my wire jacket on a PTT that cost over $200. I need a protective and preferably camo or FDE colored sleeve of some sort. My plate carrier is a minimalist design (Crye JPC) so I assume some people have or will have similar issues. Securing to MOLLE would be a bonus.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Look up chafe sleeve for rope. Profit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used 1" tubular nylon webbing to good effect. I feed the webbing through the MOLLE to keep it out of the way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Problem is my PTT and Motorola APX connector are larger than the 1" webbing, which was an early choice/attempt. The coiled wire is larger as well, though it can be partially straightened... but the non removable late ends are the issue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look up chafe sleeve for rope. Profit.
View Quote
Will try this, thanks.

EDIT: I have found black ones... no tan, OD green, or Multicam versions though. If you know of any can you provide a link?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Two suggestions:
1.  Braided cable sleeveing Example
2.  Paintball remote line cover Example.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you saying you have no damage yet, but are doing preventative maintenance in case it happens?

My first thoughts, if you need a cover you could make one.  Before tube covers came out, I made my own out of old woodland bdu's. I'd just cut up a leg or sleeve and sewed it up one side.
If you did this with multicam fabric, you can make it forever tight or loose enough to slide off.

If you don't know and want my thoughts, my last veh was a Tahoe with a truck vault and it was way cooler in there than my Vic trunk. My trunk fucking roasts now and my peltor wire is a few years old with no issues.  I don't think Texas can be that much hotter than S/FL

As far as wire ties and such....
What I do now is use a roll of Velcro wrap tape. It goes around whatever and sticks to itself.  I have Velcro inside my carrier and use a few strips in there to hold it in place. You can also see where it goes around my shoulder strap to hold it near the ptt. This stuff is like duct tape to me, I use it on everything.
This stuff:
http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hardware-diy/325-velcro-one-wrap-1inch.html

Pics might be hard to see, my trunk has red lights for illumination.
I run the wire down the radio, up inside the vest on the inside of front plate to shoulder.  No snag hazards this way.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:02:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've used 1" tubular nylon webbing to good effect. I feed the webbing through the MOLLE to keep it out of the way.
View Quote
This.

Tubular nylon cover.  Alternately, heat shrink tubing.  

You can also buy some of the cable management tubing from home depot or lowes.  Various kinds, for stereo setup.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Just spitballing here since I use my semi-shitty bluetooth lapel mic on my plate carrier.  

If you have access to a sewing machine or sew shop, there's tons of milspec elastic on eBay, in whatever color, width and length you want it in.  Get a (perhaps) 2" wide by whatever length you need, fold and sew it in half lengthwise.  Then clean it up by pulling it inside out.  Route your plugs (which hopefully can stretch the fabric and get thru) and wires and there you go.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I would use heatshrink tubing to fix the split cover and protect the wires, then make a sleeve out of multicam elastic/velco/fabric
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would use heatshrink tubing to fix the split cover and protect the wires, then make a sleeve out of multicam elastic/velco/fabric
View Quote
What heat shrink tubing can fit over a Motorola APX plug and shrink down to wire size?

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:41:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you saying you have no damage yet, but are doing preventative maintenance in case it happens?

My first thoughts, if you need a cover you could make one.  Before tube covers came out, I made my own out of old woodland bdu's. I'd just cut up a leg or sleeve and sewed it up one side.
If you did this with multicam fabric, you can make it forever tight or loose enough to slide off.

If you don't know and want my thoughts, my last veh was a Tahoe with a truck vault and it was way cooler in there than my Vic trunk. My trunk fucking roasts now and my peltor wire is a few years old with no issues.  I don't think Texas can be that much hotter than S/FL

As far as wire ties and such....
What I do now is use a roll of Velcro wrap tape. It goes around whatever and sticks to itself.  I have Velcro inside my carrier and use a few strips in there to hold it in place. You can also see where it goes around my shoulder strap to hold it near the ptt. This stuff is like duct tape to me, I use it on everything.
This stuff:
http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hardware-diy/325-velcro-one-wrap-1inch.html

Pics might be hard to see, my trunk has red lights for illumination.
I run the wire down the radio, up inside the vest on the inside of front plate to shoulder.  No snag hazards this way.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/IMG-3536-191944.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/IMG-3535-191943.jpg
View Quote
Not preventative, I had the coiled section straighten and cut the jacket in half. The smaller wires inside were not damaged yet, but the outter wire jacket was severed. Part of this was likely due to my having a velcro lined pocket on my cummerbund where the wire ran across, inside, which trapped the wire and did not allow any give. That allowed tension on the radio wire, which straightened and damaged the outter coiled wire jacket. If it were in a sleeve, the wire could move within the sleeve. Entrapping it with velcro all around froze it in place. At least I think that's the issue and solution, looking at it a bit more.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Gotcha.
Maybe try this as a quick fix until you get it figured out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CGVEXS

I use this on a bunch of shit too. It will hold the wire together and then you can sleeve over it when you decide how you want to do it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What heat shrink tubing can fit over a Motorola APX plug and shrink down to wire size?
View Quote
This should do it
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't have the problem OP had, but hell, that's like perfect for a lot things .

Glad you posted that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#15]
ever think about plastic air tubing for aquariums?  Also model airplane's use flexible plastic tubing to route control arms and servo wires through the planes...  off the top my head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top