Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2017 11:04:22 PM EDT
I plan on using a chest rig over the PC with swift clips.  It'll have 4 5.56 mags across the front.

First question, can I have a 3 mag shingle in the kangaroo pouch under the chest rig?  It would be nice to have up to 7 mags when needed.

Second, if yes to the first question: Can esstac KYWIs be used with the Mayflower 3 mag kangaroo shingle?  I love KYWIs, but I don't know if they'd fit in the kangaroo.

Third, in lieu of a 3 mag shingle, is there a zipper enclosure that fits in the kangaroo pouch so I can access it easily and store shit in there?  It would make a nice place to cram a map or protractor.

ETA: So I've scrapped the idea of putting more mags in the kangaroo pouch.  I managed to find space for 6 mags on my chest rig, and that should be enough.

New question, does anyone have experience with a quick release system for the cummerbund?  Velcro cummerbunds suck.  I know Firstspear has their Tubes system and Bushido Tactical has a cobra buckle system.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I plan on using a chest rig over the PC with swift clips.  It'll have 4 5.56 mags across the front.

First question, can I have a 3 mag shingle in the kangaroo pouch under the chest rig?  It would be nice to have up to 7 mags when needed.

Second, if yes to the first question: Can esstac KYWIs be used with the Mayflower 3 mag kangaroo shingle?  I love KYWIs, but I don't know if they'd fit in the kangaroo.

Third, in lieu of a 3 mag shingle, is there a zipper enclosure that fits in the kangaroo pouch so I can access it easily and store shit in there?  It would make a nice place to cram a map or protractor.
View Quote

I have the VS LWPC (APC w/o molle), Maywflower 3 mag kangaroo shingle and KYWI pouches.

1st question No. The mags in the kangaroo shingle will interfere with the swift clip buckles.

2nd question I will say No. The shingles have no internal loop velcro to secure the KYWI inserts in place. I will verify when I get home to see if the inserts even fit (probably not), and if there's a "lip" inside the shingle for the top of the KYWI inserts to be wedged into (again probably not). 3M industrial loop velcro tape might work but YMMV.

3rd question, I do not know of a zipper pouch aside from a flat zippered pencil pouch that would fit in the kangaroo pouch. Nevertheless, a removable insert is a very good idea since accessing item(s) in the kangaroo pouch is a pain in the ass (imo). I used a flat, thick plastic ziploc insert to hold minor first aid stuff in mine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 what half-bear said. I tried your first idea and found immediately that the swift clip buckles got in the way. eventually i bought two PIG single mag inserts designed to go in the cummerbund. those would sit in the kangaroo area and clear the swift clips.
Ultimately I found I didnt need that many mags on me and i undid all of that. My APC just uses the factory kangaroo 3mag pouch now.

for the zippered kangaroo if you google that you will find several options. I always liked the looks of this one
http://www.highgroundgear.com/products/zipper-insert-pouch
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
7 mags on your belly is gonna get pretty bulky pretty quick. I have a BFG helium whisper on the front of mine so when I tale the chest rig off I still have one mag under my right arm. Remember if you do want that many mags it's do able with a mag or two on your belt. It's a not easy to get to stuff in the kangaroo pouch, so I just put some flat things in there like a chest seal and map. I use the little Velcro deals that it came with to block the Velcro.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 what half-bear said. I tried your first idea and found immediately that the swift clip buckles got in the way. eventually i bought two PIG single mag inserts designed to go in the cummerbund. those would sit in the kangaroo area and clear the swift clips.
Ultimately I found I didnt need that many mags on me and i undid all of that. My APC just uses the factory kangaroo 3mag pouch now.

for the zippered kangaroo if you google that you will find several options. I always liked the looks of this one
http://www.highgroundgear.com/products/zipper-insert-pouch
View Quote
Two mags might work.  I'll play around with various set ups when I get the carrier.

I like the zipper thing you linked, I'll definitely be ordering one of those.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]
For kydex kangaroo insert try this  Ferro Concepts KTS

Pretty much what you're looking for and will eliminate any extra bulk out front.  I agree that 3 mags will be more than enough. 7 loaded 556 mags is heavy especially all along the front.

Also here is a zipper insert for kangaroo pouches

Zipper insert
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are running a Mayflower chest rig (IV, V, or VI) the side radio/utility pockets do a good job holding extra mags when needed. On the IV and VI there are two pockets on the front that are well sized for 20 round mags. On the V and VI they both have a front pocket that will fit 2 AI .338 mags if needed.

On the flip side 7 mags on your chest rig is a LOT as another guy correctly stated. All of these mags make it a challenge to go prone. Add in all of the weight and it's a ton of stress on your low back. A belt with 10 Speed pouches is a great way to reduce the back strain and give you options for faster emergency reloads, and a place for mags if you have to dump and run.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
New question, does anyone have experience with a quick release system for the cummerbund? Velcro cummerbunds suck. I know Firstspear has their Tubes system and Bushido Tactical has a cobra buckle system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
You are correct, Velcro cummerbunds suck!

I have been running the FS cummerbund for 4 or 5 years now, it makes a massive improvement in the APC. The whole thing goes on and off with ease.

On a side note MRC/VS also make a PC adapter that allows you to ditch the cummerbund if you don't need side armor, which also greatly aids in cooling.

Or I have, in the last week, just started to run the MRC tactical back panel with a plate sleeve, I have only been able to train with it twice as of now, but this set up is showing great promise for a ultra light (drops 2 lbs over my APC/FS tubes set up) armor caring system, but you will need to run a chest rig that is compatible with the system. The shoulder straps on the tactical back panel are actually more comfortable than they look, the stiffness and with of the material is good and so dam thin! But again I have only about 8 hours using this system, and I have not yet used it with a ruck on, so only limited training with it. And again if you are required to wear side armor, this will not work for you.  

Hoping to train with the simple set up again tomorrow. Have to be back in the APC over the weekend as the training environment is far more energetic and full armor is required on Friday-Sunday.

Overall, this scale-ability is what I really appreciate with the MRC APC as I can take it from a full PC with side/groin armor if we are breaching or strip it down to just minimal rolling gear with front and rear plates/backers if in the mountains for several hot days or if the environment does not require armor, ditch armor all together and still have the same chest rig.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks all for introducing me to the concept of velcro cummerbund replacements. i never knew they existed. which is better betwen first spear and bushido tactical? they're both outrageously expensive it seems...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I had not seen the Bushido Tactical version before. I have been using the FS cummerbund since 2010 (maybe 2011) and it works very well. With the FS version it is very easy to open and close one handed and silently. While the replacement cummerbund is expensive after using it for many years I don't see myself going back to velcro.

On the flip side I am liking the MRC/VS plate sleeve and tactical back panel more and more every time that I use it, the added air flow on the sides is noticeable and the drop in weight over the APC is also very nice. While I could stuff soft armor into the chest rig, for more coverage. I don't see this system totally replacing a PC for environments that require more armor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top