Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 2:44:36 PM EDT
Hey guys, I could use some help with selecting a helmet.  Unfortunately, I've got a great big head.  According to the ops-core sizing chart Im an XXL (near the top of the xxl range too).  

Heres the situation.  Last weekend at the machine gun shoot I found a large ACH that fits ok, its just a little snug against my forehead and the back of my head.  Since I need to replace the pads anyway, is there a brand or style thats thinner than the others that might give me some more room for my freak noggin?   I'll need a new chin strap too so if its one of the deals that has a strap built in that will be fine.  Will I be better off spending the cash on a new bump helmet of the appropriate size instead?  Ops-core doesnt even list xxl sizes as a selection on their website.  I may have to look at a different brand.  

I wont be using this for any cool missions or anything.  I just finally decided to pick up a  pvs14 and need a place to mount it.  I'll only be keeping the bad guys off our property and walking around in the barn at night.

Anyway, this is the stuff I got at the show, I only  have a little over a hundred bucks in all of it so starting over is not a big deal. What are your suggestions?   Thanks in advance.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
....your poor mother...

you can open those pads up and shave down the foam. I did that to a crown pad so my peltors didn't give me a head ache. 

If you are just using the helmet as a base for nvgs then replace the mm with pieces of closed cell foam covered with pieces of neoprene. You could gain a ton of room that way...just won't be worth much blunt force protection. 
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The issued pads with the ACH is a number 6 which is 3/4 inch thick.

Number 4 pads are thinner at 1/2 inch thick.

I recommend getting the Oregon Aero number 4 pads as they are also infinitely times better than the issued ZAP pads.

Edit: just read you need a chin strap as well. The Oregon Aero BLSS kit for the ACH. Comes with a harness and pad set. It comes standard with the 3/4 inch pads but they will send you 1/2 inch pads if you request it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....your poor mother...

you can open those pads up and shave down the foam. I did that to a crown pad so my peltors didn't give me a head ache. 

If you are just using the helmet as a base for nvgs then replace the mm with pieces of closed cell foam covered with pieces of neoprene. You could gain a ton of room that way...just won't be worth much blunt force protection. 
View Quote
Great info, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The issued pads with the ACH is a number 6 which is 3/4 inch thick.

Number 4 pads are thinner at 1/2 inch thick.

I recommend getting the Oregon Aero number 4 pads as they are also infinitely times better than the issued ZAP pads.

Edit: just read you need a chin strap as well. The Oregon Aero BLSS kit for the ACH. Comes with a harness and pad set. It comes standard with the 3/4 inch pads but they will send you 1/2 inch pads if you request it.
View Quote
I will check out their website today.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Oregon Aero has what you need.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
why didn't you get an XL ACH?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, I would re-position your pads.  The square-ish ones will fit in front and back, with the wider side facing down or out.  The rectangles can be cheated in next to the front and rear pads, which will do a couple of things.  First it will make more room for your noodle, leaving a little room on the sides.  Secondly it will leave room for some Peltors if you want enhanced hearing capabilities.

You could also replace the circular crown pad with two of the smaller rectangles.  Which again might give a little extra room, and make room for the Peltors.  You might need to buy an extra rectangle but it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, that is great advice.  Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top