Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 7:38:21 AM EDT
I recently decided to upgrade from my rock solid Eagle LE plate carrier to Direct Action Gear Spitfire.  After losing nearly 30lbs, the Eagle no longer fit well, and I wanted a lighter option for the sticky Georgia summers.  I had seen the Spitfire in the plate carrier picture thread, so off to the website I went.  I ordered directly from Direct Action when they came back in stock, and also added two of their rifle mag carriers.  I use my carrier for my part time gig doing bail recovery, and for classes.  When I'm working in it, it is usually 10-16 hour days, with a lot of that in the car or on foot.  My total investment for the Spitfire, two mag pouches, and shipping was about $310.

Initial thoughts: This thing is light.  Really, really light.  The advertising says 1.3lbs for the medium, and it is pretty much spot on.  I am not running hard plates yet, but do have a set of Armor Express IIIa panels in it.  With soft armor, it is still lighter than my Eagle was empty.  The unit is very modular, accepting Velocity panels, using the front flap, or removing the flap for a more slick system.  The fit and finish is excellent.  No stray threads, no errant cuts, and no tearing of the laser cut laminate when adding pouches.  There is an integrated zippered pouch at the top that is handy, although not large enough to be considered an admin pouch.  There is also loop lining on the inside for their versions of pontoons on the front and rear, but they were not available for purchase through the website at the time I ordered.  My only real gripe is the plate pockets do not fully encapsulate the plates, leaving the lower corners exposed.  The pockets hold well enough, and the back of the armor pockets have a bit of stretch so that you can really get the plates snug.  I don't have side armor inserts yet, but plan on getting a set soon.  I'll find out how well this holds up in a rifle class later next month.

For the pouches, only time will tell if they will stay a part of this kit.  They are an adaptable style like Tacos, but seem to be of a stiffer construction with a hypalon style liner.  I've never used Tacos, but I love my FastMags.  I was looking for a pouch with the function of a Taco and the speed of the FastMag.  I don't think these fit that bill, and it is probably just wishful thinking to find a pouch like that.  If nothing else, these will work for my 308 mags just fine.  My only complaint here is that the excess material bunches up behind the mag, causing the mag to sit out further from the body than I'd like.  This may end up being a blessing come class time (more room to grip the mag), but again, only time will tell.

Fire away with any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Pictures?

How's the stitching? Any loose ends?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Did the side plate holders come with the plate carrier? Couldnt find them on the website for sale so im assuming they do. Also what color did you get was wonder how the coyote version looks. The picture on website looks a little different than normal coyote brown.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The stitching looks excellent, no loose ends or uneven stitches.

I got mine in black.  The side pouches are integrated.

I will try to get some pictures this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top