Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2017 11:43:28 AM EDT
I've been reading the Ham Section, looking at radios, studying for my license, etc.  I'm wondering, from a "gear" prospective, what the hive is running for communications.  I ordered a Baofeng UV5R that should be waiting for me when I get back to the states (to listen only until I get my license) to do some learning on but, honestly, there seem to be more robust options out there.  So, again, I'll ask...what are y'all running?  Radio, Ptt, Headset, what-have-you.  Post a pic if you like.  From the limited reading I've done, it seems like this could be a whole other strain of "Black Rifle Disease"

Thanks in advance

ka
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagging for info.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheapest option for UV-5R is a trucker mic, a 3.5 male-to-male cord, and a set of Howard Leigh Impact Sports

Gucchi option is a PTT that connects to either Peltors or Sordins
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ugh, comms are the last piece of expensive kit I need and I'm done. I need everything from the radio to wires to those expensive ass muffs that mount to bump helmets. Man I wish there was an option that wasn't so expensive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ugh, comms are the last piece of expensive kit I need and I'm done. I need everything from the radio to wires to those expensive ass muffs that mount to bump helmets. Man I wish there was an option that wasn't so expensive.
View Quote
What I posted, radio included, would come in under $100.  License fee for the test is around $20-30 IIRC
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What I posted, radio included, would come in under $100.  License fee for the test is around $20-30 IIRC
View Quote
Amateur licensing tests are $15.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Baofeng UV5R and a Yaesu FT-60R, but I haven't nailed down peripheral gear for either yet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Marine, GMRS and weather at 1/2.5/5 watts with removable antenna.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah the radio can be cheap and license. But I'm looking at used Peltors and Sordins and they are hundreds of dollars. Plus wires. Plus bump helmet mounts. Plus mic if I choose.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah the radio can be cheap and license. But I'm looking at used Peltors and Sordins and they are hundreds of dollars. Plus wires. Plus bump helmet mounts. Plus mic if I choose.
View Quote
Trucker mic and a set of Howard Leigh's will be a lot less and accomplish the same thing. The issue with Sordins and Peltors are the PTTs. You'll be several hundred rather than around $100

unless you just gotta go Gucci start small till you fully figure out your needs. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two different setups depending on what I need and what I have.

Both use the Baofeng BF-F9V2+ (Tri-Power)

Setup #1 is a simple and cheap option and has two variations

Equipment - Radio, Remote Speaker Mic with 3.5mm Out, 3.5mm Listen Only Acoustic Tube, 3.5mm - 3.5mm Cable (90 degree angle), Electronic Ear Pro with 3.5mm In (The links here are ones I put in, not randomly for advertising) (DAMNIT, the link on Radio snuck in there!!!)

This picture is without Ear Pro. If you are using Ear Pro plug the 3.5mm - 3.5mm in the Remote Speaker Mic and then into the headset. Either way you are using the Mic to speak and the Acoustic Tube or Electronic Ear Pro to listen

Setup #2 is just as simple but much more expensive

Equipment - Radio, Amped Push To Talk Switch (Very Important that it is amped), Peltor Comtac's or MSA Sordin Ear Pro

Here the Amped Push To Talk is connected to the Radio and the Ear Pro (Comtac III Dual PTT). The PTT must be Amped or it will not work with Baofengs. Baofeng uses the same connection as Kenwood but the internals of the Baofeng jack up audio on non-amped PTT's. I purchased mine on a Facebook page. Search Amped PTT for the page and request access. I have two sets, they work great. I have had no issues with them, Jeff does great work. I have used this on chest rigs and plate carriers with no issues.

Upgrade your antenna to the NA-771 or ExpertPower XP-669-C, these will help a bunch over the stock antenna. (These links I put in as well)

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#11]
On the frequency side, I am certified as a HAM Tech. I also have my own UHF frequencies for my business, 4 Simplex and a Repeater Pair on Nationwide Itinerant Frequencies. I can use my MotoTRBO 7550 (Analog or Digital) with these frequencies with either of the setups above and do Dual Radios with the Comtac's.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried the FB Search, but couldn't find a link to request access.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Try - Amped ptt for real sordins, comtacs and tci headsets
or
here is the link, I think - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1443722339200376/
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had this conversation with my buddies like 2 dozen times. IMO, the best, cheap, way to go about it is with a UV-5R and a lapel mic/ear tube run under your earpro. This way, when you ultimately don't use your comms, it doesn't put you out a bunch of money.

This is what we have used tucked under Howard Lieghts with good enough results. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1W7C58?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I am not big on interfacing with headsets unless you are ready to pony up for Comtac's or comms enabled Sordins. With the ear tube under your earpro, you can take your head set off and keep your comms up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try - Amped ptt for real sordins, comtacs and tci headsets
or
here is the link, I think - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1443722339200376/
View Quote
Thank you very much!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have had this conversation with my buddies like 2 dozen times. IMO, the best, cheap, way to go about it is with a UV-5R and a lapel mic/ear tube run under your earpro. This way, when you ultimately don't use your comms, it doesn't put you out a bunch of money.

This is what we have used tucked under Howard Lieghts with good enough results. https://www.amazon.com/Retevis-Acoustic-Earpiece-Headset-Kenwood/dp/B00K1W7C58?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I am not big on interfacing with headsets unless you are ready to pony up for Comtac's or comms enabled Sordins. With the ear tube under your earpro, you can take your head set off and keep your comms up.
View Quote
That's a great idea. The only issue is I hear some people aren't happy with Howard Lieghts. I'm guessing it's subjective.

My problem is I don't like.....shallow (best way I can describe the feeling) muffs. I like muffs that have a lot of room for my big ass ears. I hate muffs that sit on top of my ears instead of engulfing them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My problem is I don't like.....shallow (best way I can describe the feeling) muffs. I like muffs that have a lot of room for my big ass ears. I hate muffs that sit on top of my ears instead of engulfing them.
View Quote
Totally get that!  Look at tac 6s and add gel cups to them.  The foam ones hurt my ears/head after a short while.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Peltor Comtac III, a Peltor PTT that interfaces with my Motorola APX radio, and my work radio is APX 6000. I also have a UV5R with aftermarket antenna.

I have found I don't always use my helmet (it's hot and a little over the top for many scenarios) and I am looking for an in ear option I can plug into my PTT, which is set up for interfacing my work radio (Motorola  APX 6000) with my peltor headset. So, a military connection for an impedance mismatched headset, compatible earpiece that is fairly waterproof.

I also have Sordin Supreme Pro and an add on boom mic kit from SRS Tactical with Iron Forged Concepts adapters and do not recommend that route at all.

I have handout UVR5, 3.5 cables, and speaker mic, but the 3.5mm jack on most aftermarket headsets is far from as secure as the dual plug on non mic Peltor (regular TacSport, Comtac, etc.) and the speaker mic is not warerproof.

Love to hear about ear pieces for my needs or waterproof speaker-mics for Ham radios.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have handout UVR5, 3.5 cables, and speaker mic, but the 3.5mm jack on most aftermarket headsets is far from as secure as the dual plug on non mic Peltor (regular TacSport, Comtac, etc.) and the speaker mic is not warerproof.

Love to hear about ear pieces for my needs or waterproof speaker-mics for Ham radios.
View Quote
You could try this Speaker Mic - Impact Platinum - Kenwood K1 It shouldn't have an impedance issue, but I have not tried it.

For the 3.5mm side I don't think there will be too much waterproof. I have worn a waterproof speaker mic with a 3.5mm acoustic tube in a good rain before without any issue. I have not seen any speaker mics with a secure 3.5mm connection. If it is a huge concern you could try some electrical tape cut into skinny strips and wrapped around the 3.5mm cord and then around the speaker mic.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#20]
That speaker mic looks awesome. Will definitely buy one! Since a speaker mic is not having to work with my Peltor it's not an issue with impedance. My PTT I have for my work radio to work with my COMTAC III is my issue.

For most people the above speaker mic and a Peltor 3.5mm plug is a perfect solution for a civilian radio. The Peltor 3.5 plugs have a dual plug on the headset end that won't pull loose. They are fairly rugged with good electronics, swappable colored ear covers and use the gel ear cups for COMTAC. The SportTac/Tactial Sport headset also is compatibe with the 3M Peltor ARC rail adapters directly but it may only fit high cut helmets due to thickness. The COMTAC III fits mid cut helmets via the ARC rail as well (not tried it with mid cut yet on tactical sport). Really the only negative is the level of waterproof/dust proof resistance and extra bulk when compared directly to COMTAC III costing twice to three times as much.

Is my earpiece gonna cost me an arm and leg? A Nato plug on one end and in the ear speaker/mic on the other that will go into an impedance correcting PTT? Sounds like something not frequently purchased. Do they havery military in ear pieces that act as speaker and mic with a NATO plug?

I have a Motorola Bluetooth in ear piece with mini PTT from work, but it is always out of battery charge and the earpiece falls out all the time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is my earpiece gonna cost me an arm and leg? A Nato plug on one end and in the ear speaker/mic on the other that will go into an impedance correcting PTT? Sounds like something not frequently purchased. Do they havery military in ear pieces that act as speaker and mic with a NATO plug?

I have a Motorola Bluetooth in ear piece with mini PTT from work, but it is always out of battery charge and the earpiece falls out all the time.
View Quote
I was trying to find a solution for this and I cannot find an earpiece/mic combo with the plug as the Peltor's have. Your best bet may be to find a new PTT and setup specific for the ear piece/mic combo. Hope that helps
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#22]
My plate carrier sits in my storage locker in the back of my police vehicle. The PTT is routed in a pretty complex fashion down the back and through the cummerbund to tie into a radio holder on my belt. Being in CID, I wear my plate carrier for anything that requires armor. It would be a major pain to swap PTT and I need it ready at a moments notice.

Many times, I don't need a full on helmet set up. If it's not a violent felony offender arrest or active shooter, the helmet is too hot and too off putting when dealing with the public. Currently, I have to use a handheld, but would sure like a reliable earpiece. I have an encrypted Bluetooth, but like I said... always dead and only lasts about 2-4 hours, plus I'd like to have muscle memory using the PTT that goes with my helmet.

Honestly, the shoulder speaker/mic would make more sense if I had not dropped $700 plus on my COMTAC and dedicated PTT. It leaves me with no intermediate options and there are tons of ear pieces for the Motorola shoulder mics.

If any other police officers are considering a comms option for anything other than SWAT work,  I'd look at an earpiece to a shoulder mic and a Peltor Tactical Sport to the shoulder mic on high cut helmets. Would have saved me $500.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
We switch back and forth between vertex team UHF radios and other motorola UHF site radios.

A speaker mic with an audio ear bud works fine under helmet ear pro. That makes it a little easier to talk into, finding the mic on your shoulder with a big button. The more comfortable route is a regular surveillance type mic/bud, which also fits well under ear pro if you need it. The only problem with that is sometimes routing it is a pain in the ass on armor, or switching from armor to regular shirts, and it likes to get snagged on things.

It's not worth dumping a bunch of your own money into these military PTT setups. If you had a need for them, somebody would be issuing you one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We switch back and forth between vertex team UHF radios and other motorola UHF site radios.

A speaker mic with an audio ear bud works fine under helmet ear pro. That makes it a little easier to talk into, finding the mic on your shoulder with a big button. The more comfortable route is a regular surveillance type mic/bud, which also fits well under ear pro if you need it. The only problem with that is sometimes routing it is a pain in the ass on armor, or switching from armor to regular shirts, and it likes to get snagged on things.

It's not worth dumping a bunch of your own money into these military PTT setups. If you had a need for them, somebody would be issuing you one.
View Quote
I don't know about that last part. I've been in several situations where a good comm headset would've saved me a lot of asspain, but the air force is very stingy if you're not in a cool-guy unit so I had nothing but the 152 itself.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't know about that last part. I've been in several situations where a good comm headset would've saved me a lot of asspain, but the air force is very stingy if you're not in a cool-guy unit so I had nothing but the 152 itself.
View Quote
You just didn't get creative enough to "find" what you needed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a Baofeng UV5R and a Yaesu FT-60R, but I haven't nailed down peripheral gear for either yet.
View Quote
Pick up a PTT and send it to SRS tactical.  They can fix it so that it works with the Yaesu.  They fixed the amplification for the microphone on mine.  Quick turn around too.  I use a ptt that SRS fixed with my yaesu Vx-6r.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Who are you planning to talk to with your comms?

ETA: Keep in mind a HAM license doesn't cover GMRS. Also a lot of "fancy" cheap radios (like the UV-5R) have a minimum power output that exceeds the legal limit on FRS channels, and no license will currently let you legally use that much power on the FRS-only channels.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who are you planning to talk to with your comms?

ETA: Keep in mind a HAM license doesn't cover GMRS. Also a lot of "fancy" cheap radios (like the UV-5R) have a minimum power output that exceeds the legal limit on FRS channels, and no license will currently let you legally use that much power on the FRS-only channels.
View Quote
I'm interested in this thread. I wouldn't mind getting some Comm sets and microphone to talk to other people/person while shooting, or what not instead of having a walkie talkie radio. My budget is around $1000.00 Probably need to go study up for HAM first though. Shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Me & lot of my friends & family use UV5R's.

Car to car while traveling, on the range,
4 wheeling, etc.

I had 3 or 4 of the remote mic's fail.
I really like the little earpiece that is
included with the radio's. Hand free
for driving on the road, it will fit under
a helmet & ear muffs.

I have 3 or 4 now. At $25 each, they
are pretty much disposable.

John
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm interested in this thread. I wouldn't mind getting some Comm sets and microphone to talk to other people/person while shooting, or what not instead of having a walkie talkie radio. My budget is around $1000.00 Probably need to go study up for HAM first though. Shouldn't be a problem.
View Quote
The problem with HAM is the people you're talking to need to be licensed, too.

Unless the guys you shoot with are rich hardcore mall ninja's, they probably aren't licensed. At that point, you're looking at FRS radios, and they're all about the same.

(It used to be possible for one licensed GMRS person to run a network of GMRS radios operated by non-licensed people...not sure if that's true anymore)
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes,
 You will need ham tickets, but you get good
comms from that & no worries about getting
caught by the FCC. This also leads easily to
50 watt mobiles & even higher base units.

The test isn't that bad.

FRS will only work about a 1/4 mile, and less
than that in a wooded area with leaves on
the trees.

I do think GMRS is a good way to go,
but we haven't gone that route.

John

Quoted:

The problem with HAM is the people you're talking to need to be licensed, too.

Unless the guys you shoot with are rich hardcore mall ninja's, they probably aren't licensed. At that point, you're looking at FRS radios, and they're all about the same.

(It used to be possible for one licensed GMRS person to run a network of GMRS radios operated by non-licensed people...not sure if that's true anymore)
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]
There are some guys on TOS using MBITR copies from China, supposedly can withstand being dunked in the ocean and breaking cinderblocks.  They also work with surplus mil antennas and ptt's, might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is really only true anymore if youre related to them.

95.179 Individuals who may be station operators.

(a) An individual GMRS system licensee may permit immediate family members to be station operators in his or her GMRS system. Immediate family members are the:

(1) Licensee;

(2) Licensee's spouse;

(3) Licensee's children, grandchildren, stepchildren;

(4) Licensee's parents, grandparents, stepparents;

(5) Licensee's brothers, sisters;

(6) Licensee's aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews; and

(7) Licensee's in-laws.

I'm a fan of GMRS, but for the OP I only think it would be useful if all his buddies got licensed too, which should be an option, I cant remember for sure but I think its only like 75 bucks for 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#34]
What pouch, or what size pouch is everyone using for their Boafeng?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Maxpedition makes a good scalable one that can fit a bunch of different HTs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There are some guys on TOS using MBITR copies from China, supposedly can withstand being dunked in the ocean and breaking cinderblocks.  They also work with surplus mil antennas and ptt's, might be worth checking out.
View Quote
Can you post a link?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine lives in a GP pouch on my Mayflower Chest Rig. I have had a few different ones, mostly off brand random cheap ones I found online. Once I started using the Gen IV from Mayflower for everything I just stays in there. I thought I saw a few being made for them recently, there are few on eBay from 762 Tactical that do not look bad. They make them for the regular battery and the extended.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Can you post a link?
View Quote
Interested as well
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
If it has protected buttons, the Emdom universal rifle mag pouch is awesome. If the buttons have no raised ridges around them or are not recessed in the case, it will cause unintended button presses.

It has easy in and retention so strong it will never come out on its own, even witbout secondary retention. It fits multile radio sizes without adjustment. If your radio has unprotected buttons, you need a dedicated hard case or non elastic case to avoid unintended button activations.

UV5R has protected buttons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Nobody listens to me...
Amazon Product
  • We finish our bags with a triple coat of polyurethane for water resistance and add a Final coat of dupont Teflon fabric Protector to repel the elements. Only the best components and designs are used
  • We Use complete YKK zippers and slides exclusively unlike our competitors who put YKK slides on generic zippers
  • We add Military grade Nylon webbing for straps, handles, and modular attachment points. Genuine Dura flex buckles and hardware add strength and functionality

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
UV-5R or UV-82HP to a water resistant handmic linked below, then to an earbud I cut one side off of routed under my ear pro.  Sometimes I route it to my howard leights but usually just use the earbud.  

Here's the water resistant handmic I use.  Has a much better feel than the standard one.
QHM22 IP54 SPEAKERMIC
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#42]
What kind of comms do the people you're going to talk to have?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Not sure if this is the right area for this but seems like it might work. I'm rocking a PRC-152 at work and managed to get my hands on one of the Thales speaker/mics. The problem is the damn thing is quiet as hell and doesn't seem to disable the speaker on the radio when in use. Is this just me or is this thing jacked up?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Baofeng, maybe Motor
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not sure if this is the right area for this but seems like it might work. I'm rocking a PRC-152 at work and managed to get my hands on one of the Thales speaker/mics. The problem is the damn thing is quiet as hell and doesn't seem to disable the speaker on the radio when in use. Is this just me or is this thing jacked up?
View Quote
My guess is that is an internal setting or the radio is not seeing the mic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is a menu setting on the 152 to mute the speaker and route it to the mic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you don't get your issue resolved I will post step by step instructions on Wednesday
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Can you post a link?
View Quote
Left it cold...

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?189953-PRC-148-Radio-First-Impressions-and-Initial-Setup-and-Follow-on-Setup-on-Chest-Rig
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I've self education on the disableing the radio speaker, however the hand mix/speaker still is quiet as hell. I ended up ordering an ear piece to plug in, but I'll happily try out any knowledge you've got!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Harris 152 and a PYQ-10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top