Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 12:38:02 PM EDT
I would like to start getting a pack together for when I run EMS calls as well as for SHTF, I am a EMT so I only need BLS supplies to carry.
I would like to have something that I can run with my PC (something like a backpack)

I was thinking something along the lines of the  LBT Medic bag but I don't really wanna spend $300+ on the bag

What do you guys run with?
Also what does combat medic's nowadays run with?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
"When you run EMS calls"???  What service do you work for that doesn't provide you equipment?  90% of typical BLS calls I've ever run don't require much more than a BP cuff and stethoscope and a watch. The small number outside of those can be handled with 4x4s, cling (roller gauze), maybe a trauma pad.  And sterile water to flush OC out of perps eyes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"When you run EMS calls"???  What service do you work for that doesn't provide you equipment?  90% of typical BLS calls I've ever run don't require much more than a BP cuff and stethoscope and a watch. The small number outside of those can be handled with 4x4s, cling (roller gauze), maybe a trauma pad.  And sterile water to flush OC out of perps eyes.
View Quote
We have med bags on the apparatus but I want a personal med bag. My station doesn't always have a driver to get the truck out so I'm left sometimes grabbing the bag and going POV.
Also my station is kinda out in the country so it takes awhile to get a MICU or Ambo out to the sence, so we left providing BLS until they get there, sometimes it's 10 mins, sometimes it's 30-40 mins it all depends.

TBH this med bad will mostly be personal, I can use it on EMS calls and be resupplied by the MICU or Station. But I want something for ME

So forget about running EMS if you want, I'm thinking of Going with LBT 1562B, it looks pretty close to what I want.

Any other recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have med bags on the apparatus but I want a personal med bag. My station doesn't always have a driver to get the truck out so I'm left sometimes grabbing the bag and going POV.
Also my station is kinda out in the country so it takes awhile to get a MICU or Ambo out to the sence, so we left providing BLS until they get there, sometimes it's 10 mins, sometimes it's 30-40 mins it all depends.

TBH this med bad will mostly be personal, I can use it on EMS calls and be resupplied by the MICU or Station. But I want something for ME

So forget about running EMS if you want, I'm thinking of Going with LBT 1562B, it looks pretty close to what I want.

Any other recommendations?
View Quote
Surplus Molle II Equipment Medical backpacks can be had on eBay $40-$65 shipped in ACU and Woodland. Lots of inner compartments and pouches for items.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Haley Flatpack +

I didn't have a reason for this bag, but seeing a sample being used as ems/medic bag, i will be getting one soon. here is a link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRzKqlSDgsP/?taken-by=haleystrategicofficial&hl=en
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, you can probably pack everything you need in a Tactical Tailor First Responder waist bag or something similar. The 1562B/STOMP style bag is way, way, overkill for only BLS stuff. Unless you plan on stuffing gauze and trauma supplies everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]

I'll be listening in to see  what people come up with here.

As a rural LEO with EMTB certs, I have either a TT first responder waist bag for backcountry calls and a huge Conterra pack with everything else.  I've been looking for something somewhere in the middle that can carry a D or JD cylinder in it.  

ETA:  Conterra ALS Extreme

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a fire/medic in LE academy. EMS and fire for 19 years. I carry one of these bags in my POV.  I keep a BVM, airways, and bleeding control stuff in it. It also carries shears and PPE, gloves, etc.
I've got a ton of other bags and IFAK kits.  But this works for me in my truck if I run up on something.  All the other bags, LBT, TT, etc I use for other stuff.

http://www.buyemp.com/product/l-a-rescue-first-call-in-bag1
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I would stick to a smaller bag.  The bigger the bag, the more crap that will get stuffed in it.  The KISS method works best for trying to come up with what you need.  Here is a slightly modified list from the BLS ambo at my firehouse:

Sterile water
Bandaids
Cling 2 inch 4 inch 6 inch (roller gauze)
4x4s
2x2s
ABD pads
Trauma pads
Ace wraps
Tape 1 inch 2 inch 3 inch
OPAs
NPAs
BVM
Stethoscope
BP Cuff
Penlight
TQ

I have left off some other jurisdictional specific items and medications.  I can tell you we don't carry the 2x2s, only carry 3 inch tape, and 4 inch cling.  No need to duplicate some of the items, just makes things easier.  Like I said, in my experience, 90% of our BLS calls only need a stethoscope and BP cuff. The injured persons may either need a bandaid, or sometimes some 4x4s and cling.  Weekends bring the stabbing and shootings.  Trauma pads, and tegaderms are the order of business in that case, at least until the ALS arrives.  We appropriate the tegaderms from the ALS units.  The TT first responder bag (looks like a fanny pack of sorts) would easily fit what you need.  I think someone mentioned the Molle 2 version which can be had cheaply on eBay, especially in ACU.

ETA:  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j0k2dz6eug00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F391728694339:g:yrUAAOSwhQhYyJyS

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j0k2dz78vr00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F282398641148:g:~ZQAAOSwx6pYpkmJ
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you going to be carrying O2?

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Tactical Tailor M5 bag for my BLS equipment. In hindsight, I should have went with the M9 as it's slimmer and would still hold everything I need, but the M5 is very well-made.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#12]
For BLS you will not need all that much...just keep the air going in and out and the blood going round and round. Basic airway, rescue mask, bleeding control, basic trauma,and PPE. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Old school is best school

Amazon Product
  • NSN 6545-00-912-9870
  • Lightweight Nylon Construction
  • Empty weight: 12 oz.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For BLS you will not need all that much...just keep the air going in and out and the blood going round and round. Basic airway, rescue mask, bleeding control, basic trauma,and PPE. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Old school is best school

www.amazon.com/dp/B01LTH8TDC
View Quote
Well... This (^) is what I keep in my POV for BLS supplies. I have a separate big bleeder pouch that I throw in too.

If you want to build out something cool but less than $300 cool and without ACU, I would suggest checking out Vanquest. They have sorts of MOLLE'ed up, velcro-lined goodness that is inherently modular - https://www.vanquest.com/categories/fire-sale.html

I would suggest the IBEX, as that is the least cheesy looking option.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry the red style bag in my car.  

The green bag I carried as a FDNY EMT.  

Both were basic bags.  I would restock after runs if I used anything.  

Like others have said.  The bigger the bag the more crap you will carry.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Have had good luck with bags like this. It gives lots of pockets and separators to make your gear more manageable. It expands and will actually hold quite a bit  Also won't break the bank.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j0rio6897r00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F231819699516
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top