BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While HSGI gear is very well-made, overall, it should be noted that the elastic shock cord used in the making of TACO pouches is an item which deteriorates over time, and that deterioration is accelerated with exposure to direct sunlight and dust/dirt infiltration.  Also note that HSGI makes available (to their credit) repair/replacement shock cord kits for their products.  You can also buy the shock cord from other vendors, if you wish.

It should be added that any other mfr of gear that relies on shock cord or elastic webbing is making a choice in using elastic components in lieu of more expensive alternatives.  For example, before the cost-cutting benefits of elastic cord/webbing were discovered, High-end mag pouches were made with fabrics curtains/buffers between the magazines.  This was quite costly in terms of workmanship, and far more costly than simple shock cord/elastic.  Such curtains/buffers also lasted forever, as compared to elastic shock cord/webbing.  To be fair, such mag pouches would only take a very limited number of different types of magazines.   

I own a number of HSGI products, all of them entirely satisfactory, but have never been a fan of their TACOS, for a number of reasons, the shock cord being just one.

I prefer full-flapped mag pouches that will not admit snow and freezing rain--or even some dust.  It is understandable that with US troops being involved in the arid Middle East, the easier-to-access open-topped pouch has come into vogue.  That works well there.  The same open-topped pouch will be  a disaster when used in a snowy/sleeting/freezing rain environment, or during a dust storm.

I might ask how many magazine users regularly take their (non-stored) mags apart, and clean the innards and lube the mag springs?

YMMV.
View Quote
Ahhh gotcha. Now that I've been looking around I've heard the same thing. The cord could be an issue.

I'm in no way being a smart ass. These are just a few questions that came to mind.

I wonder if anyone has actually worn out their cords and had to replace them or is it just some random guy on the internet that says he did and everyone just blindly cites that "story"

Now that you have me worried, lol, I'm wondering if I should buy some back up cord now and just stash it. OR, should I just say F it and rely on their lifetime warranty.

As far as the flaps, I get what you're saying completely. I just removed pouches that had flaps in favor of these Tacos. Now that I have spent some time I must say I much prefer the non flap. I'm in the desert and don't plan on seeing much snow but I think HSGI makes a flap that can be added onto these. Maybe I should get some and stash them away just in case?  Doubt they are super expensive. Yay?  Nay?

Thank you for the input. My second double decker taco just showed up. I'll update pics in a bit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Never understood the love that the TACO holds.. I get it, you can size them for different mags.. I only need M4 and G17.

Never liked Bungee's on my gear... shits gets hung up on shit (Try getting in/out of a vehicle), and they wear out.

First thing I do with nay gear, is ditch the bungee's.

Open top pouches with inserts to secure the mags are where I'm at.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
My esstac kydex inserts wear more than my shock cord. You just need to reform them once a year. Shock cord? Just tighten slightly once a year.

My issue with Tacos is that they have sharp corners that poke you, they have loose cords hanging off, and the plastic sides make for less retention, being so slick. They also have more variable spacing on their molle. They are the minimum in universal mag pouches.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To each their own, SHTF rifle use itself is a near-zero likelihood / possibility for people living in most places in the USA. Battlefield pick ups have happened in pretty much every major war that's been fought since guns have had magazines. Ever see a pic of a Nazi soldier in Stalingrad with a Ppsh-41? An American spec ops guy in Nam with an AK? If the USA really did fall apart in a full on SHTF, there's billions of magazines that could potentially be 'laying around', I don't think a pick up is much less likely than the SHTF itself. Things are gonna happen in a SHTF, most of which are non-optimal. So while a pistol taco may not be the best thing to store a spare flashlight in, it may be the best thing you have on you at the time. Naturally a dedicated pouch is optimal.
View Quote
I was talking about battlefield pick ups for HANDGUN. The rifle part is just using the same holders you already have and whatever sling. Your pistol holster is likey proprietary. Why battlefield pick up a handgun? So all those TACO pistol mag holders are not needed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The people at HSGI, when asked about wear-and-tear issues with bungee cord, say that this is not really an issue.
View Quote
Just for the hell of it I emailed them. They said it depends on use and a number of other factors. They said they see no consistent reason or time table for the wearing out of the bungees.

They are also covered under the lifetime warranty.

So I think they will work for me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two tacos on my hunting belt. 5 plus years of snow, mud, ice, frozen mud, mountain laurel, briars etc and they still work better than any Velcro pouch after 6 months of mud.

My training belt has countless reload with its tacos and more use in general, but in better weather, with less wear.

If I was back in the Philippines chest deep in jungles I may choose another pouch. Fallujah? I couldn't imagine a better one.

I'd like to see some pics of failed tacos stateside.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have tacos on my belt but I'm just not that crazy about them.

Has anyone used G-codes Scorpion softshell ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have tacos on my belt but I'm just not that crazy about them.

Has anyone used G-codes Scorpion softshell ?
View Quote
I have them. I had two pistol and one rifle but I swapped out the rifle for a taco and took the 2nd pistol pouch off my belt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you regularly carrying mags other than AR mags?
View Quote
I carry one on off side and two on weAK side.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you regularly carrying mags other than AR mags?
View Quote
I switch back and forth between AK and AR frequently with plans to get a .308 rifle eventually.  As for pistol just glock 19 mags. I think I would have been better suited with a kywi pistol pouch Or maybe something simple with a Velcro flap.

Edit: read that wrong. Thought you were talking to me
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I took a AK class recently. Two guys were using a pistol taco stacked on a rifle mag. Both of the pulled the wrong mag several times. I assume you could work around that with training. I personally would skip that setup.
View Quote
For a year and a half or so I was training every week. For a while I had the same setup and same issues; I changed pretty quickly. I now run my pistol mags forward of the rifle mags, which are at 9 o'clock. Works a lot better. 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used Tacos for a couple years on my range belt.  2 double decker tacos w/1 G19 mag and 1 AR mag each.  No issues with shock cord, in/out of vehicles, grabbing the wrong mag, etc.

I'm no operator, but I recently switched to 2 pistol tacos up front followed by 1 KYWI for AR mag as an experiment in reducing weight and bulk.  We'll see how much difference I notice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top