Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 7:44:00 PM EDT
Does anyone know, list and possibly post pictures of various companies that are and that are not NIR complaint? It's hard to find gear, even ones made in the  good ol USA that are NIR compliant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Every Berry compliant company should be NIR compliant
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
There's more to it than just the company name. Specific blends of fabrics and specific techniques to dye that fabric are important.

This also ignores the fact that what might match the background terrain in your environment (are your plants very NIR reflective or absorbing? If your gear doesn't match the foliage, you'll stand out). Kind of like wearing green in a desert vs wearing green in a forest.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every Berry compliant company should be NIR compliant
View Quote
I wouldn't say that's true. I've contacted and ordered some gear from a company based here in the states that is 100% Berry Compliant but they too wasn't sure if all of their materials were NIR Compliant. So when I ordered some of their gear they customized for me they also sent samples out for me to confirm if they are or not NIR Compliant. Unfortunately the materials in OD and Coyote Brown were not (that includes the fabric samples). They were nice enough to let me return them items for a refund though. I can confirm that Eagle Industries, ATS, TAG and Spec-Ops Brand use NIR Compliant fabrics and dyes. I'm pretty sure Tactical Tailor is NIR Compliant as well since I know a lot of gun fighters who use them on the daily grind from state side and beyond.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From pix displayed on the NVD forum on this site, it can be said that dyeing with Rit dye does not cause problems.  So, dyeing AUC gear either brown or green should not be an issue.

Whether or not uniforms that have been washed with optical brighteners, thus ruining their original GTG NIR condition, can be "restored" by dyeing with Rit dye is unknown.  My guess is that such uniforms will benefit from being dyed, but that is just a guess with no evidence as back-up. 

Whether you are a hunter, or a soldier/marine, your uniform's camouflage effect with respect to either your prey or the enemy is of great importance.

here's a link to detergents that will not "brighten" your clothing/uniform:  Approved Detergents
View Quote
I appreciate the information and I no longer go by that list as the detergent companies have changed their formulas and the list is out of date. I used 7th Generation detergent since they are free of dyes and contain no optical brighteners in them but it's a lot harder to find compared to Tide and other brands. Luckily this past "field-trip" they had some All Free and Clear detergent that was the military version sold at the on site NEX. First time ever used it but it worked well. You really have to clean your fatigues in regular detergents several times for them to start glowing under IR conditions. Technically we don't really need to go by that anymore because we're not fighting foes that have the ready available capabilities the Chinese and Russians have but it's always good precaution.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
(CONTINUED AS I AM A NEW USER)

I still tell everyone to use non-optical brightening detergents because you'll never know who you might come across. Plus there have been numerous reports of bad guys stealing/acquiring NVG equipment off of dead Coalition forces or from other forces who are complacent and didn't have their stuff properly secured.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If anyone has a link to a new, updated list of Approved detergents, please post it.
View Quote
You really have to look at what's in the detergents as there is no updated list. I can confirm Seventh Generation is free of brighteners, dyes and anything else for the basic version. If you can get the All: Free and Clear with the dog tags on them saying no optical brighteners then you're good to go. Not to mention I tell my guys to avoid getting cheap tactical gear as most of them are not NIR compliant.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I generally use the cheaper, generic form of Woolite, but, as you say, the 7th Generation also lacks brighteners.  Some searching using the search term "detergents without optical brighteners" will also give some hits and lists.
View Quote
I've tried that in the past but you really need to be on it because sometimes the detergent manufacturers change their formulas due some chemical law or simply they want to use cheaper stuff. I know there some hunting detergents we used a few times to get rid of the brighteners in our clothing and gear. Now for some of the gear that we use for simple training purposes, yeah we use whatever detergents that we can get our hands on just to simply get the red clay and other crap we acquire in the field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top