Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 9:20:04 PM EDT
I'm going to be in the market for a couple of PCs, one for my SO and one her son. They are both smaller people, and their PCs will not need to be uber tactical. Mainly looking for something that can reliably handle rifle plates, durable enough for emergency use: evacuation or home invasion. Otherwise I expect the plates and carriers to sit in the closet.

I was poking around LA Police Gear and found the Condor product line, and something like the Sentry Lightweight looks perfect.

Is this an acceptable solution? If not, why, and what should I be looking at instead?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Condor PC's?  Nope. Some Condor stuff is....ok. PC's....I wouldn't.

Look for used Banshees on EE. That's your best bet for a quality carrier at a good price. I paid $125 for mine and it was like new.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Banshees are good.

Some companies sell concealable slick carriers for $50-100.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Would have to agree with above, had one it was pretty poorly made and fit like shit. I would spend the 25 extra and get a decent carrier I have an eagle thay feels pretty nice and only paid like $20 more than I did for the condor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The Condor Cyclone is USA made, and supposed to be nicer than their other offerings.  It looks like a Banshee copy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#5]
No.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.greyghostgear.com/product-p/0007.htm

If you wait for holiday sales (July 4th maybe?), you can pick one up for $75. Good gear, decent price, fits medium plates and is a known commodity.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Much of the Condor line runs big, I mean really big.
There are much better choices out there including the Banshee and the Grey Ghost offering in both quality and size for smaller framed individuals.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.

Got one a few years ago and the buckle for the shoulder strap broke when I dropped it on the floor lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I can only speak specifically for the Condor MOPC carrier, but I wouldn't touch it unless you're pushing 300 lbs.

The plate pocket is giant, and the strap holding the plate in position isn't sufficient. Ran about 150 ft and ended up with my plate sideways by about 30 degrees.

The sizing on the cummerbund was crazy big. I'm a fat guy (38" waist, 40" chest), and I had to pull the cummerbund as tight as it would go, and the shoulder straps are so long that I've got 4" of extra webbing hanging off getting in the way.

For really limited use on a really tight budget, some of the cheaper Condor PC's might make sense (Sentry, Compact/Urban), but I'd stay away from the MOPC and Gunner.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'll avoid Condor like a truck stop hooker.

I really like the Grey Ghost PC, and I'm digging the Eagle Industries CMC-PC also. Is Eagle GTG? I know fallenover gave them a recommend.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the velcro shoulder strap. Am I being a goober thinking that buckles would be more durable and reliable long-term?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Eagle GTG? I know fallenover gave them a recommend.
View Quote

Eagle was the standard back in the day, before everyone and their brother started making gear.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
When it comes to Condor one should never fo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#13]
just say no to condor.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I really like the Grey Ghost PC, and I'm digging the Eagle Industries CMC-PC also. Is Eagle GTG? I know fallenover gave them a recommend.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the velcro shoulder strap. Am I being a goober thinking that buckles would be more durable and reliable long-term?
View Quote

Friends don't let friends buy Condor.

Condor shock cord after NO use:

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Banshee is the best budget PC you can trust.

Eagle is /the/ standard, they just tend to be several generations behind on features. Probably a little more pricey than what the expected use is worth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Banshee is the best budget PC you can trust.

Eagle is /the/ standard, they just tend to be several generations behind on features. Probably a little more pricey than what the expected use is worth.
View Quote

Why the banshee over the Mayflower APC, Firstpear STT / STT.1, ATS Aegis, or Velocity LWPC?

Serious question. All are +/- 10% in price.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why the banshee over the Mayflower APC, Firstpear STT / STT.1, ATS Aegis, or Velocity LWPC?

Serious question. All are +/- 10% in price.
View Quote

I was hoping one (or a few) would comment on this, because I'm genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was hoping one (or a few) would comment on this, because I'm genuinely curious.
View Quote

After three dudes kicked in my front door last month (details in GD), I'm trying to decide between the above plate carriers...Leaning towards the APC or LWPC...
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

After three dudes kicked in my front door last month (details in GD), I'm trying to decide between the above plate carriers...Leaning towards the APC or LWPC...
View Quote

I read your GD thread. Really glad you're OK, man. I saw that you already have a plate/carrier set, may I ask why you're looking for a new one?

[good natured fun] I'd concentrate more on remembering to put on the carrier you already have. [/good natured fun]

This thread was more about finding something quality and light for my SO and her kid, but I'm also looking for myself and found this HSGI carrier that I'm digging. It looks like it sits a little higher, covering more of the upper thoracic area which seems to differ from other, lower sitting carriers. I know it's a little more pricey, but do you think it might suit your needs also?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I read your GD thread. Really glad you're OK, man. I saw that you already have a plate/carrier set, may I ask why you're looking for a new one?

[good natured fun] I'd concentrate more on remembering to put on the carrier you already have. [/good natured fun]

This thread was more about finding something quality and light for my SO and her kid, but I'm also looking for myself and found this HSGI carrier that I'm digging. It looks like it sits a little higher, covering more of the upper thoracic area which seems to differ from other, lower sitting carriers. I know it's a little more pricey, but do you think it might suit your needs also?
View Quote

No person experience with the HSGI carrier. Almost all carriers have adjustable straps, so you can bring all of them to the right height.

What I have tried was:
Condor MOPC: Way too big; I'm fat and had to synch it all the way down, and then my plates shifted like crazy in the carrier.
5.11 Tactech: Only real complaint was the size. After I re-stitched some of the molle, stitched down some loose velcro, and added velcro to four (out of eight) of the plate retention straps, it mostly worked. The problem is it's sized for massive plates, and the carrier hung down about 4" below the bottom of my 10x12 plates.
Grey Ghost Minimalist: With just a small belt (no cummerbund), it's not stable enough for serious athletic activity. It's fine for standing still, but bounces a little bit when running. Also, I want side armor.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.greyghostgear.com/product-p/0007.htm

If you wait for holiday sales (July 4th maybe?), you can pick one up for $75. Good gear, decent price, fits medium plates and is a known commodity.
View Quote
This, so much this. I love this PC. It tightens forward which doesn't seem like that important, but it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top