Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2017 3:30:30 AM EDT
Anyone using the USMC assault pack from the IBLE system as a general hiking pack?  These seem to be available fairly cheap, good quality and U.S. made.

Just looking for something basic to hike with the dog and occasionally run with.  I'm not concerned about lack of pockets as typically only carry water, couple necessities and additional layer due to colder/wet environment.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the USMC assault packs.  They are a little on the heavy side (when compared to a civilian pack) which means overbuilt for what you are looking to use it for.  That said, it isn't like wearing a boat anchor and it is cheaper than a comparable civilian pack, so I would recommend it.  I keep seeing people asking about "but does it have X number of organizational pockets?" and I don't think they understand that all comes at a big price on weight and usable space.  

Make sure it has the frame sheet in it if you buy one.  Not sure I've seen them for sale without, but it wouldn't work well without it.  The water compartment will hold any decent commercial system.  To me the overall pack seems large for a one day pack, but that depends on where you are and what you need.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, it's smaller than a standard 3 day pack and made to fit the Source Hydration system. It's actually patterned after the 1st gen Arcteryx LEAF pack. There's more info on that than the USMC version for reviews.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep an eye on London Bridge Trading for closeout items.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Fits a bunch of junk, isn't obnoxious, well built. Comfortable to wear.

I usually strap 2 canteen pouches on the side with less zipper (right when wearing it), and clip my camelback onto the other side. Get an "assault pouch" and stick it on the upper face, to augment the storage. This lets me fit rain gear, a gallon jug, 2 mres, a skivvy roll, a thermal top, and some other junk quite well just in the main compartment.

Mine is quite water resistant. It takes a decent rain or very long exposure for the contents to get wet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Had one for 6 years as part of my issued gear.  It's ok.  The Ilbe is also ok.  If it's a good price, then it'll do.

It's just decent gear made for people who break crap easily.  Every day Marine's are not operators, they don't get operator level gear.  There are better options but this is a good one that works fine.  Don't spend too much and you won't regret having it because it's good, just not super high speed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one and its my go to pack when I don't need to carry an ALICE pack level load with me.  For me, its comfortable and I really like it.  If you can find one cheap, get it!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#8]
What do you think of using a heavier sheet for the frame? I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

Seems like it would help some when you don't have the pack stuffed much. I notice mine wants to slouch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I score .080" kydex and ABS with a razor knife and break it off on the score line
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I can always use the band saw

I've done many a trim job on plastic during the vac form days for Bowties and ,Fix Or Repair Daily and The Mostly Old Parts And Rust Co.

A good way to get a good fit, is to make a template ( pattern) out of cardboad, then transfer that via scribe or xtacto knife to the sheet, then rub some chalk or grease pencil in the line.
Saw and sand or cut with shears

Many ways to do that.
This is just another option, use whatever method will work for your present tool situation
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I put two aluminum stays in mine.
Remove the stock frame sheet,  sew two pieces of nylon strapping onto the sheet and  slide two 1" wide aluminum straps bent to fit your back into the pouches.
Very comfortable, even with the stock belt you hardly even need to tighten the shoulder straps.
Even better, slide a load bearing belt like a prairie belt from HPG and its like a giant lumber pack.  Shoulder straps are just for balance

And the Tara insert from HPG fits into the smaller zippered pocket perfectly.  It is a loop field with cuts for pals webbing if you want to organize with mounted or tearaway pouches
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks. Learning has occurred.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For the most part, frame sheets with auxiliary aluminum stays are most useful in conjunction with packs that come equipped with an integrated load-bearing waist belt.  In this instance, the stays (in conjunction with the frame sheet) help the pack to direct the weight of the pack onto the waist belt, and so take weight off the user's shoulders.

To my mind, there is no useful benefit in having aluminum stays integrated with a frame sheet when used on a pack without a load-bearing waist belt, such as the classic LBT 3-day pack.  With the LBT 3-day pack, there is no load-bearing waist belt, and so there is no advantage in having aluminum stays on such packs.
View Quote
I agree completely that it carries much better with the load bearing belt, especially over 20# it becomes much more apparent how much the proper belt helps.
 Luckily the Assault pack has a channel that the prairie belt fits through perfectly.  
With a decent load for the packs size (over 35# or so) I can still completely release the shoulder straps and the pack doesn't budge from my hips when jumping up and down.

Biggest advantage I have with my homemade stayed framesheet when carrying lighter day loads with just the stock belt is it keeps the pack from barreling when over-stuffed with bulky items like extra clothing.  I can still carry the weight on my hips, like a lumbar pack, and not have the pack sag if I have weight up top.
Also I get much better airflow to my back, so not completely worthless, especially for the miniscule increased weight of the stays.

Sure many packs are better, but for a $25 pack and $2 worth of aluminum at Lowe's and a little time sewing, it's hard to beat.  
Granted, the prairie belt added $90 to my setup,  but I had already had bought it for the full size ILBE pack I already owned and and modified to fit my long torso. I had also planned to use it for a battle belt setup.  So really that was free
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#18]
All, thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated!  I've got an assault pack coming next week.

I've been looking for a Corpsman/Recon pack but no luck so far.  If anyone has a source, please send my way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought two of the Assault Packs when they were less than $30. Money very well spent. I take mine hiking all the time, and I can easily do a three day hike out of it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Anyone can make a frame sheet easily and cheaply out of .060 black HDPE sheeting, available from Grainger's or Amazon.  Note that some London Bridge Trading Co. packs, specifically the 3-day pack often seen on sale, do not come with frame sheets, which is rather stupid of them.  Maybe a frame sheet comes with the ones sold at MSRP, but for the difference in Sale price Vs.MSRP, one could make quite a pile of sheet frames. 
View Quote
So you making a few for the LBT 3 day pack for me then?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Good idea.  I do love my LBT for sone things, but yes it's limited with small things.

Due to this I don't use it for an everyday pack. But that could certainly help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top