Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quite frankly, I'm not impressed. You got all this because you were scared of Obama and Hillary?

It looks like you to tried to buy the cheapest possible gear, forgoing protection and functionality, in an attempt to look like a high-speed mall cop.
View Quote

Certain things, yes. Do you not agree that the topic of body armor and to an extent NV was talked about by the media as something that civilians wouldn't need.

As far as cheap?  I'll agree with most if my belt components but the other stuff, I feel, is a pretty good compromise between quality, functionality, and price.

To everyone else, let me introduce you to jkbulldog. Im starting to think he is a troll or a lib.

He is the NV subforum asking why we need night vision. Once everyone gave him the standard Arf answer he tried to act like he was simply trying to innocently ask a question.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quite frankly, I'm not impressed. You got all this because you were scared of Obama and Hillary?

It looks like you to tried to buy the cheapest possible gear, forgoing protection and functionality, in an attempt to look like a high-speed mall cop.
View Quote

Feel free to post up your gear for a critique.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say cheap gear > no gear.

OP is at least trying. I know ballin on a budget can be rough.

ETA: OP, my quick searching says you can get surplus ballistic helmets (older models) for around $200. So maybe you can actually get that going for you. Just get one that uses velcro pads not a suspension system. Your head will thank you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I know ballin on a budget can be rough.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I know ballin on a budget can be rough.  

Yep.  Thats why I tried to go surplus whenever I could when I put my gear together.  I'm glad I did it when I did it (back in 2013), because after 8 years of Obama, two pay cuts and next to no raises, i'm having to live like I was out of work even though I have a job.  That doesn't leave any money for gear.

ETA: OP, my quick searching says you can get surplus ballistic helmets (older models) for around $200. So maybe you can actually get that going for you. Just get one that uses velcro pads not a suspension system. Your head will thank you.

When I put my gear together, I got a PASGT helmet extremly cheap because no one wanted them.  I got a pad and chinstrap set off eBay for cheap - yes, no one wanted it.  Yes, its heavy and not the latest and greatest, but its better protection than my cotton ball cap.  One day, i'll get something newer, but for what its used for, its ok.

+1.  You won the internet today.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone complains about heavy, but if you operated that hard, you'd have the budget to get lighter gear.

I have no problem with my standard low cut (full coverage) helmet. Suck it up, butter cup.

Maybe it is why my neck is messed up... that's another discussion though.

You might be able to get the high rated CVC for cheap, but I haven't looked into it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Least he got NV and ceramics.

The banshee is cheap but it is a pretty good carrier
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever go for a run or an extended walk with a drop leg? Mine have always climbed up or twisted around on my leg. Personally I'd remove the drop leg, put the holster on the actual battle belt, and remove the 5 power magnifier.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm just the wrong height (torso length), but I have interface issues when the holster is on the battle belt. My side plates hit the butt or slide of my pistol, and limit my motion, or slip behind the gun and put undue stress on the holster.

Fwiw my holster is kydex secured with malice clips.

That's why I recommend the drop leg. When I use a drop leg, I also run it on the loose side. Yes it does slip around a bit, but it also tends to return to center when at ease.

I don't rate to carry a pistol much anymore, but the staff and officers seem to like being able to slide the holster to the front of their leg for vehicles. Fwiw, we're in AAVs.

I also like having the holster attached to my pants belt, so when I take my gear off my gun is there. Hence, if it was feasible I'd like my pistol ammo on my pants belt, but with a battle belt over top, it doesn't work. So I'm comprise with pistol ammo being on the battle belt. At least I can shed my plate carrier and still have my pistol and ammo for it, and even dropping the belt and PC, still have a loaded pistol.

Hopefully you can all see the logic in that.

ETA: being in the job I am, gear shed is a very real thing. Maybe I project that too much, but consider the "revert to lowest level of training" thing. I also consider it a great potential for everyone, that they may be wounded and their PC needs to come off, or during a water crossing. It seems only one other guy on the forum is a tracker (buckshot jim),  so a verification of that train of thought may be hard to come by.

Still eta. I see many of you with service decals, but what MOS/background are you. That would help me understand your justification. Ex, a grunt that only patrolled on foot, in the countryside, is very different from one that was on vehicles or urban, which is different from someone who was always on a vehicle or only stood guard.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ever go for a run or an extended walk with a drop leg? Mine have always climbed up or twisted around on my leg. Personally I'd remove the drop leg, put the holster on the actual battle belt, and remove the 5 power magnifier.
View Quote

The only way I'd get rid of the magnifier is for a more robust one.

I constantly run into people swearing they can hit 200 yards all day long with their red dot. I say, yeah, at the range with a white target.  They disagree so I take them to the desert and typically they have a hard time even finding the target past 130 yards.

I'm not trying to start a fight or piss in anyines cherios but in my experience most simply cannot make a red dot work well and consistently past 130ish yards in real world conditions.  Let me clarify a bit because I'm really not trying to piss anyone off. My experience has been with civilians. The drill is simply find the target, ID it, and shoot. Younger guys do better. By a pretty good margin. Guessing because of eyes. The guys with dots tend to hit 1 or 2 out of five where guys with magnification tend to hit 4 or 5 out if five for example.

There is just no way I will change. At least not with what's available and in my price range.  IMO nothing beats that combo for hd/SHTF. In fact, the PA model with the ACSS reticle and a magnifier would be perfect since it has the bullet drop markings.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just the wrong height (torso length), but I have interface issues when the holster is on the battle belt. My side plates hit the butt or slide of my pistol, and limit my motion, or slip behind the gun and put undue stress on the holster.

That's why I recommend the drop leg. When I use a drop leg, I also run it on the loose side. Yes it does slip around a bit, but it also tends to return to center when at ease.

I don't rate to carry a pistol much anymore, but the staff and officers seem to like being able to slide the holster to the front of their leg for vehicles. Fwiw, we're in AAVs.

I also like having the holster attached to my pants belt, so when I take my gear off my gun is there. Hence, if it was feasible I'd like my pistol ammo on my pants belt, but with a battle belt over top, it doesn't work. So I'm comprise with pistol ammo being on the battle belt. At least I can shed my plate carrier and still have my pistol and ammo for it, and even dropping the belt and PC, still have a loaded pistol.

ETA: being in the job I am, gear shed is a very real thing. Maybe I project that too much, but consider the "revert to lowest level of training" thing. I also consider it a great potential for everyone, that they may be wounded and their PC needs to come off, or during a water crossing. It seems only one other guy on the forum is a tracker (buckshot jim),  so a verification of that train of thought may be hard to come by.

Still eta. I see many of you with service decals, but what MOS/background are you. That would help me understand your justification. Ex, a grunt that only patrolled on foot, in the countryside, is very different from one that was on vehicles or urban, which is different from someone who was always on a vehicle or only stood guard.
View Quote

Makes sense to me.

I've used my drop leg a bit. Run a little in it. It just doesn't seem to present the problems to me it does to others.

Maybe one day I'll try it on for 5+ miles. That might change my tune.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I think magnifiers are a cool toy or competition tool, but they don't belong on a battle rifle. Just opinion and feels on that. Not going to comment much more on them.

I have great vision, and don't expect to use a red dot past 200 on a man size target. Beyond that I'd be wasting ammo, maybe capable of supression. While I don't have a cheap dot, it is a big reticle. It obscures the target too much.

A fixed 3 or 4x works great for me. My 3x spitfire is actually one hell of a scope for $300. Vortex definitely did a great job on it. Let's me use 5.56 for all its really worth in the real world.

If it works for you, go for it.

You might also like the strike eagle (1-6x), but it's a lot bigger and the glass isn't quite as good to my memory (probably from the variable part).

You'd probably be better off keeping the pistol/sbr at home and using a 16" barrel for out in the open. You're a big dude, and even with your medical problems, size/weight shouldn't hinder you as much as us average size people. The main reason is also ballistics. A 14.5" barrel is only going to get a high rate of fragmentation under 150 yards.

Any which way, you're doing pretty good for yourself. As long as you can use the gear you have, you can do a lot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok. Listened to you guys advice. Got rid of the admin pack.  Shed some weight. And I'm trying the HSGI Tacos. I like them. Some things they do better than the Tactical Tailor universal pouches and some things they don't.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think magnifiers are a cool toy or competition tool, but they don't belong on a battle rifle. Just opinion and feels on that. Not going to comment much more on them.

I have great vision, and don't expect to use a red dot past 200 on a man size target. Beyond that I'd be wasting ammo, maybe capable of supression. While I don't have a cheap dot, it is a big reticle. It obscures the target too much.

A fixed 3 or 4x works great for me. My 3x spitfire is actually one hell of a scope for $300. Vortex definitely did a great job on it. Let's me use 5.56 for all its really worth in the real world.

If it works for you, go for it.

You might also like the strike eagle (1-6x), but it's a lot bigger and the glass isn't quite as good to my memory (probably from the variable part).

You'd probably be better off keeping the pistol/sbr at home and using a 16" barrel for out in the open. You're a big dude, and even with your medical problems, size/weight shouldn't hinder you as much as us average size people. The main reason is also ballistics. A 14.5" barrel is only going to get a high rate of fragmentation under 150 yards.

Any which way, you're doing pretty good for yourself. As long as you can use the gear you have, you can do a lot.
View Quote

Isn't it crazy how people can be so different. I had a Pa fixed 3x optic. Hated it lol.

I actually have a PA 1-6 on my 16 inch AR. I really like that too. I'd like to get the platinum version but it's too pricey for me now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#14]
If everyone was the same, there wouldn't be so many products.

Looks like you have room on your left cummerbund, you could stick that admin pouch there.

I get the trying to lay flat thing, and it doesn't work all too well with mags on the front, let alone double pouches. IME it props me up  to use my rifle, not comfortably, but it works.

What do you consider a full load of ammo? For me it's a minimum of 6 mags, plus 1 in the rifle. Even then, the standard 7 seems light when you consider how many rounds you could end up dumping in a firefight. Seems like plenty of marines and soldiers have done fine with it though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If everyone was the same, there wouldn't be so many products.

Looks like you have room on your left cummerbund, you could stick that admin pouch there.

I get the trying to lay flat thing, and it doesn't work all too well with mags on the front, let alone double pouches. IME it props me up  to use my rifle, not comfortably, but it works.

What do you consider a full load of ammo? For me it's a minimum of 6 mags, plus 1 in the rifle. Even then, the standard 7 seems light when you consider how many rounds you could end up dumping in a firefight. Seems like plenty of marines and soldiers have done fine with it though.
View Quote

Here is my completely uneducated opinion on that subject.

At first I got the TT universal mag pouches because they could each hold 3 5.56 mags a piece. That's nine on my PC, three on my battle belt, and one in the gun.

I thought I was going to be Rambo and I never heard anyone say they had too much ammo.

But then I really thought through a saying I heard.

-who am I?
-where am I?
-what is my objective?

I am a civilian. So in my(again uneducated) opinion I don't think I'll ever need even a standard soldiers load out of 6+1. That's what it is I think. 7, right?

My AO is most likely around my house. And my objective will either be defense or self protection if I'm forced to wander somewhere to get something I need.

If I encounter trouble at home I'll have my ammo with me. All of it. So ability to carry mags is irrelevant.

If I encounter trouble out gathering supplies(SHTF scenario) my objective will be to break contact and un-ass the area. Let's face it, even with the small amount of "training" I have I'd probably lose to even a small fire team.  

So I'm picking mobility. That means, as of right now I'll have two tacos which carry one 5.56 each. One TT pouch which carriers three, a TT pouch on my belt which carries three, and my gun.

But in a week when the rest of my tacos come I'll have three mags on my pic and one on my belt.

So I'll end up with 3 mags plus the one in the gun if I just have my PC on, add one if I don my belt.

Of course, if the "mission" calls for it, I can just put the TT pouches back on.

So does that make sense or am I going about it wrong? For me, in my potential situations, if I need more than four mags I'm probably fooked anyway lol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Fair enough. I don't see any flaws in your logic.

Have you tried doubles? Right now you only mention triples and singles.

I've never had a triple, but I think they'd be obtrusive and heavy.

I'd carry as much as you reasonably can. For me that would be 6+1 with just a PC. Eventually I want to have another double that goes on the belt (maybe 2), and 2 more doubles that would go on my pack. So after first use, I can rotate mags from the pack back up front, or my buddy can grab a mag if needed.

Afaik usmc standard is 6+1, that's what I've always had since boot camp, and all I've ever seen on non-operators. One of the soldiers around here can answer for the army.

Ammo > water > meds > food
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit, this isn't Fallujah.

Most of my experiences in the Marines don't correlate directly to owning/using gear as a private citizen.

Besides wanting rugged gear it's completely different.

Yeah, 6+1 mags is the standard load out for the infantryman. Most carried a couple more and I was a SAWgunner so carried 1k rounds +/-. Unless you are patrolling and fighting then I think it's a bit much.

I go over board now with pistol mags because I primarily shoot handguns and the more mags on my belt the more drills I can do before I replace them. I think if you shoot alot and want 6 rifle mags on your chest so you can just focus on shooting while at the range that's a fine reason to carry that much.

My PC is slick and I only keep 1 P40 on my belt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're an 1833?

And you like a loose drop leg? That would drive me bonkers

I always kept my 6004 as high as possible in security forces. Otherwise it bangs on doorjambs or gets hung up on obsticals durring MOUT.

I tried using the 6004 in the FMF and it was a pain in the ass when I had a M9 issued. Now since I found the drop attachment I wish I could have used it back then.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Certain things, yes. Do you not agree that the topic of body armor and to an extent NV was talked about by the media as something that civilians wouldn't need.

As far as cheap?  I'll agree with most if my belt components but the other stuff, I feel, is a pretty good compromise between quality, functionality, and price.

To everyone else, let me introduce you to jkbulldog. Im starting to think he is a troll or a lib.

He is the NV subforum asking why we need night vision. Once everyone gave him the standard Arf answer he tried to act like he was simply trying to innocently ask a question.
View Quote

You asked for a critique and I offered my initial opinion. I could be a skinny jeans wearing, man bun having, latte sipping, big city liberal, but your setup is still goofy, your skin is paper thin and you are demonstrating that you lack the maturity and confidence to take even mild criticism.

Now I have only read your first post and the beginning of page two so my bad if these suggestions are repeats:

You have a crap holster, your admin pouch is ridiculously big, the banshee plate carrier kinda sucks IMO. How the fuck are you gonna use your clunky ole PVS7s without an ATPIAL/DBAL? You have a toy airsoft helmet. If you just need a NODs mounting solution you could get an Ops Core BASE jump for about 200. If you use airsofter PPE, expect to be treated like one. Ar500 armor is complete crap. If you are wearing this, chances are you don't need armor in the first place. Condor is garbage, you shouldn't be surprised that it broke.

But on the bright side, at least you aren't wearing cargo shorts. Good work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Virtually all of my gear is issued to me by the United States Army so if there is any sort of deficiency there feel free to direct any criticism towards them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Then found out that my HSA will pay for blowout kits, so I added a Dark Angel Medical D.A.R.K. Kit at no cost to me.
View Quote
fo real?! With whom was that confirmed? I read through the IRS Publication 502 but didn't see anything about IFAK/blowout kits. If this is the case, I'll probably snag a couple of DARK's myself. They're on sale right now anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
fo real?! With whom was that confirmed? I read through the IRS Publication 502 but didn't see anything about IFAK/blowout kits. If this is the case, I'll probably snag a couple of DARK's myself. They're on sale right now anyway.
View Quote

I don't know to what extent IFAK/BOK are eligible, but there is an AMK Trauma Pak Pro on hsastore.com with a TQ, quick clot, etc. Haven't used this one myself but might be a good option for some people.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You asked for a critique and I offered my initial opinion. I could be a skinny jeans wearing, man bun having, latte sipping, big city liberal, but your setup is still goofy, your skin is paper thin and you are demonstrating that you lack the maturity and confidence to take even mild criticism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe. But maybe I'm going off if what literally everyone else said and what my research  shows is a good balance between price and quality. Besides the belt. You got me there. My reaction to you is not out of thin skin. As a kid in high school who was 135 and 6'7" due to a surgery you know no one who got ragged on and developed a thick skin and sharp tongue more than me.

You made questionable posts in the NV forum and got ignored there due to coming off as a troll. Hence my reaction here. You say things that make you come off as a troll/ignorant/know it all. At least that what it seems.

Maybe it's us and that's just how you are. Fair enough. Hard to get to know someone after a couple if posts.

Now I have only read your first post and the beginning of page two so my bad if these suggestions are repeats:

You have a crap holster, your admin pouch is ridiculously big, the banshee plate carrier kinda sucks IMO. How the fuck are you gonna use your clunky ole PVS7s without an ATPIAL/DBAL? You have a toy airsoft helmet. If you just need a NODs mounting solution you could get an Ops Core BASE jump for about 200. If you use airsofter PPE, expect to be treated like one. Ar500 armor is complete crap. If you are wearing this, chances are you don't need armor in the first place. Condor is garbage, you shouldn't be surprised that it broke.

Crap holster. Yes. Need new one.
I looked for a smaller admin pouch initially. Either way I dumped this one. Check the pic a couple of posts up. No, the Banshee doesn't suck. I have a dbal. Reading is fundamental. First post. Helmet is cheap but works fine for now. Although I will admit after four miles in it the other night it was starting to get uncomfortable. But it's new and that's why I try things. At least I don't just buy shit and think I'm gtg and let it sit like I see some people do. No, ceramic ar500armor isn't complete crap. I've seen it stop multiple hits from what it is rated for and then some.  Most if Condor is garbage, yes.

Just out of curiosity, how many years experience in all of these different areas do you have?  

Your mom likes them. What can I say?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Drop legs suck. Get a safariland als holster on your belt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shit, this isn't Fallujah.

Most of my experiences in the Marines don't correlate directly to owning/using gear as a private citizen.

Besides wanting rugged gear it's completely different.

Yeah, 6+1 mags is the standard load out for the infantryman. Most carried a couple more and I was a SAWgunner so carried 1k rounds +/-. Unless you are patrolling and fighting then I think it's a bit much.

I go over board now with pistol mags because I primarily shoot handguns and the more mags on my belt the more drills I can do before I replace them. I think if you shoot alot and want 6 rifle mags on your chest so you can just focus on shooting while at the range that's a fine reason to carry that much.

My PC is slick and I only keep 1 P40 on my belt.
View Quote
Stateside I run three 40's on the front. I doubt I ever get past the first 40 in the gun. For that matter it's much more likely to be used on an animal for a few rounds than for self defense.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're an 1833?

I always kept my 6004 as high as possible in security forces. Otherwise it bangs on doorjambs or gets hung up on obsticals durring MOUT.

I tried using the 6004 in the FMF and it was a pain in the ass when I had a M9 issued. Now since I found the drop attachment I wish I could have used it back then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're an 1833?

Not crazy loose, just enough to let me slide it around some. I absolutely hate stuff being tight around my leg. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm not trying to be the guy that's "you have to do it my way or you're an idiot", I'm going more along the lines of "this is how I do it, it works for me, and should work for you".

And no, I'm not a ramp monkey, I'm a mechanic, haha.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stateside I run three 40's on the front. I doubt I ever get past the first 40 in the gun. For that matter it's much more likely to be used on an animal for a few rounds than for self defense.
View Quote

Hey, I hope I never have to use the one in the chamber, but if I do, it's going to have plenty of friends to back it up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.  Thats why I tried to go surplus whenever I could when I put my gear together.  I'm glad I did it when I did it (back in 2013), because after 8 years of Obama, two pay cuts and next to no raises, i'm having to live like I was out of work even though I have a job.  That doesn't leave any money for gear.

When I put my gear together, I got a PASGT helmet extremly cheap because no one wanted them.  I got a pad and chinstrap set off eBay for cheap - yes, no one wanted it.  Yes, its heavy and not the latest and greatest, but its better protection than my cotton ball cap.  One day, i'll get something newer, but for what its used for, its ok.

+1.  You won the internet today.
View Quote

I use mostly surplus, too.  My whole setup (gear, not contents) didn't cost much over $100.  Shoot, I'm still using a steel pot for my helmet.  It was $10 with the liner and cover at the store.  Heck, why not?

This is my current setup, although I made one change and attached the radio pouch to my field pack (butt pack) and ran a hand mike through the Camelbak and clipped it onto the left suspender pad near where the radio pouch is located in the pic.  The compass pouch on the left side by the second magazine pouch is a stand-in for the dump pouch I want to get.  Still need an IFAK.  I also got more mag pouches for a few bucks a pop and may attach at least one to the field pack to carry more mags.  I also roll up my rain gear and put it under the field pack, tying it down with the bottom straps.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I would've went for more modern surplus, but the stuff works!

May I suggest you put your drink tube on the left side? Mine always gets caught up if I run it strong side.

You still put pistol mags with rounds back?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would've went for more modern surplus, but the stuff works!

May I suggest you put your drink tube on the left side? Mine always gets caught up if I run it strong side.

You still put pistol mags with rounds back?
View Quote

I've considered putting it on the left side, but for now I like it where it's at.  I'm not sure that you can tell from the picture, but the tube is going under my arm and not over it.  The valve sites below where I place the butt of my rifle on my shoulder.

As for the mags, all of them, rifle and pistol, are oriented so that the front faces in a clockwise direction.  After trying different ways to orient the mags, this seemed the most natural to me if I reload with my left hand (which is what I do most of the time).  Is that considered passé or something these days?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I've always been taught rifle (at least ar15) mags go "brass to the grass, bullets to the ass". I've tried the other possible ways and it just doesn't work for me. So I still do it the original way.

Never got guidance on pistol mags until I started shooting idpa, where the experienced guys corrected me and showed me how much better bullets to the front are.

To me, and everyone else I've seen, this lets you guide the top of the mag with the index finger (your brain knows where your finger is, and where your strong hand is). It also tends to give the baseplate much more bite into the palm of your hand to aid in seating the mag. I find it smoother, and more consistent, thusly it is faster with practice.

ETA: clarification.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've always been taught rifle (at least ar15) mags go "brass to the grass, bullets to the ass". I've tried the other possible ways and it just doesn't work for me. So I still do it the original way.

Never got guidance on pistol mags until I started shooting idpa, where the experienced guys corrected me and showed me how much better bullets to the front are.

To me, and everyone else I've seen, this lets you guide the top of the mag with the index finger (your brain knows where your finger is, and where your strong hand is). It also tends to give the baseplate much more bite into the palm of your hand to aid in seating the mag. I find it smoother, and more consistent, thusly it is faster with practice.

ETA: clarification.
View Quote

I guess I'm not entirely sure about what your orientations are here, as only magazines on my sides might face forwards or backwards, hence why I chose to use "clockwise" to describe how everything is oriented.

I haven't gone to any contemporary carbine or pistol classes, nor have I read any literature on magazine orientation or engaged in any practical shooting competitions.  I just experimented and figured out what felt most natural and consistent.

My magazines are oriented around the idea that I will under most circumstances use my left hand to reload and my right hand to hold my weapon.  This is why I have the majority of my magazines on my left side rather than my right side.  When I grab that magazine from the open-topped pouch, the baseplate does go into my palm, my index finger goes along the front edge of the magazine, and my thumb along its left side.  I can insert it into the pistol without any sort of contortion, magazine rotation in the hand, etc.  It just goes right in without thinking much about it.  When I grab the pistol mags on the left side, the same is true.  They are both oriented so that the rounds point in a clockwise direction.  My grasp with the left hand is the same.  The only pistol mag I can't reach with my left hand is the one on the holster (the holster has a magazine pouch integral with it; the magazine can only be placed into the pouch with the rounds facing clockwise).  I generally grab my rifle mags the same way (except that maybe my middle finger on 7.62mm mags is going down the front rather than the index finger).  They are oriented the same way as the pistol mags.  I similarly don't need to do anything difficult or complicated to insert them into my rifle.  Having a finger along the front helps when you're using rock n' lock style magazines.

Of course, if I have to reload with my right hand, I have to make sure that I rotate my hand before grabbing the magazine so that my thumb is on the outside and once I pull the magazine far enough out I rotate the magazine until my thumb is inboard and then I can insert the magazine like normal.  If I grab it more naturally, I have to rotate the magazine much more awkwardly in my hand before insertion.  With 7.62mm magazines, I have to use the lifting strap in order to get a hold that will allow me to grab it this way and rotate the magazine on the draw, but that's what they're there for.  It's easier to do when the magazine pouch is on my right side, but if I have it all the way on the right to where I'd have trouble reaching with my left hand then I'd orient the magazine counter-clockwise.  But as I said earlier, I only have one magazine there, a pistol mag, and those are easier to grab using the method described above for strong side reloading.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah. Spot on assessment, which is why I haven't offered any "critique" of his gear. I always get a kick out of guys who ask for opinions on gear from guys who have used it in real-world scenarios, and then get butt hurt and refuse to make any changes. So now, when this happens, I just shut up and let them learn the hard way....because should they ever really be forced to learn, that's the way it is gonna be - hard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah. Spot on assessment, which is why I haven't offered any "critique" of his gear. I always get a kick out of guys who ask for opinions on gear from guys who have used it in real-world scenarios, and then get butt hurt and refuse to make any changes. So now, when this happens, I just shut up and let them learn the hard way....because should they ever really be forced to learn, that's the way it is gonna be - hard.
View Quote

More like people who can't read you mean?

I have made changes due to criticism. It's right here in this thread. So did you read that and not comprehend that?  Or did you not read and just assume and mouth off. Either way that shows a lack of intelligence.

I realize the belt needs changing.

Banshee sucks?  No. I've talked to plenty of guys who've actually used it in the sandbox and liked it.

Pvs-7 sucks?  I'm not kicking doors. Seems our military made good with it (and some still do) until 14's became prevalent.

He didn't critique. It was thinly veiled shit talk from, most likely, a noob who got handed stuff from uncle sugar and wouldn't know where to start if he had to research/ buy his own.

And let's think this through logically. I know that's hard for some of you. Do I need top of the line stuff as a civi?  Am I going to face prolonged military action?  Probably not. So decent, affordable gear is the most logical pick for me.

Good thing you didn't offer a critique because if it's inline with this post it would probably be as unthought out and full of incorrect statements due to not reading as the other guy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I guess I'm not entirely sure about what your orientations are here, as only magazines on my sides might face forwards or backwards, hence why I chose to use "clockwise" to describe how everything is oriented.

I haven't gone to any contemporary carbine or pistol classes, nor have I read any literature on magazine orientation or engaged in any practical shooting competitions.  I just experimented and figured out what felt most natural and consistent.

My magazines are oriented around the idea that I will under most circumstances use my left hand to reload and my right hand to hold my weapon.  This is why I have the majority of my magazines on my left side rather than my right side.  When I grab that magazine from the open-topped pouch, the baseplate does go into my palm, my index finger goes along the front edge of the magazine, and my thumb along its left side.  I can insert it into the pistol without any sort of contortion, magazine rotation in the hand, etc.  It just goes right in without thinking much about it.  When I grab the pistol mags on the left side, the same is true.  They are both oriented so that the rounds point in a clockwise direction.  My grasp with the left hand is the same.  The only pistol mag I can't reach with my left hand is the one on the holster (the holster has a magazine pouch integral with it; the magazine can only be placed into the pouch with the rounds facing clockwise).  I generally grab my rifle mags the same way (except that maybe my middle finger on 7.62mm mags is going down the front rather than the index finger).  They are oriented the same way as the pistol mags.  I similarly don't need to do anything difficult or complicated to insert them into my rifle.  Having a finger along the front helps when you're using rock n' lock style magazines.

Of course, if I have to reload with my right hand, I have to make sure that I rotate my hand before grabbing the magazine so that my thumb is on the outside and once I pull the magazine far enough out I rotate the magazine until my thumb is inboard and then I can insert the magazine like normal.  If I grab it more naturally, I have to rotate the magazine much more awkwardly in my hand before insertion.  With 7.62mm magazines, I have to use the lifting strap in order to get a hold that will allow me to grab it this way and rotate the magazine on the draw, but that's what they're there for.  It's easier to do when the magazine pouch is on my right side, but if I have it all the way on the right to where I'd have trouble reaching with my left hand then I'd orient the magazine counter-clockwise.  But as I said earlier, I only have one magazine there, a pistol mag, and those are easier to grab using the method described above for strong side reloading.
View Quote

You're already doing what I suggested. What I was thinking was that your right side pistol mag was meant for a left handed reload, but you're obviously stuck with it going the wrong way.

The pic got me thrown off. Carry on.

ETA: since I couldn't see the other mags, I was going off the one that was visible.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

More like people who can't read you mean?

I have made changes due to criticism. It's right here in this thread. So did you read that and not comprehend that?  Or did you not read and just assume and mouth off. Either way that shows a lack of intelligence.

I realize the belt needs changing.

Banshee sucks?  No. I've talked to plenty of guys who've actually used it in the sandbox and liked it.

Pvs-7 sucks?  I'm not kicking doors. Seems our military made good with it (and some still do) until 14's became prevalent.

He didn't critique. It was thinly veiled shit talk from, most likely, a noob who got handed stuff from uncle sugar and wouldn't know where to start if he had to research/ buy his own.

And let's think this through logically. I know that's hard for some of you. Do I need top of the line stuff as a civi?  Am I going to face prolonged military action?  Probably not. So decent, affordable gear is the most logical pick for me.

Good thing you didn't offer a critique because if it's inline with this post it would probably be as unthought out and full of incorrect statements due to not reading as the other guy.
View Quote

If I were to offer you a critique on your gear set up, you can bet your bottom dollar it would be anything but incorrect.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, I got a PASGT a few years ago for ~$80 and added a Team Wendy pad/chinstrap system. It's not HSLD but it does what I would need a helmet to do.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I were to offer you a critique on your gear set up, you can bet your bottom dollar it would be anything but incorrect.
View Quote
Why?  Because you're in the military? As has been stated and obvious with only a little bit of logic my mission isn't the same as a soldier hence my requirements are different.

So if your "critique" has its foundations in what you used while doing Joe stuff it'll be good but not completely applicable to me.

Not to mention plenty of soldiers have said I'm doing just fine. On the right track. Et cetera.

Why even come into this thread and comment?  With your "if I critiqued" arrogant snobbery you're not helpful in the least. What's your goal?  To try and look cool?  I don't have time for clown shit like that.  

And in my experience people who act like you do end up not knowing shit about what the topic. Do me a favor and spare me your "critique".

Like the guy at the range that moves from bench to bench trying to give everyone tips in how to shoot but has ten inch groupings at 7 yards with his full size hand gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why?  Because you're in the military? As has been stated and obvious with only a little bit of logic my mission isn't the same as a soldier hence my requirements are different.

So if your "critique" has its foundations in what you used while doing Joe stuff it'll be good but not completely applicable to me.

Not to mention plenty of soldiers have said I'm doing just fine. On the right track. Et cetera.

Why even come into this thread and comment?  With your "if I critiqued" arrogant snobbery you're not helpful in the least. What's your goal?  To try and look cool?  I don't have time for clown shit like that.  

And in my experience people who act like you do end up not knowing shit about what the topic. Do me a favor and spare me your "critique".

Like the guy at the range that moves from bench to bench trying to give everyone tips in how to shoot but has ten inch groupings at 7 yards with his full size hand gun.  
View Quote
Drop-Leg Condor holster on, then...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Lol! You have NVG's and your not rich?! Man, I wish I was as poor as you are!

Anywho, if it was me, I'd loose the drop leg holster, and either put a holster on the warbelt , or put the pistol someplace on the PC.

I'm not a warbelt guy either, but way better than the drop leg. Besides that, honestly IMHO, your set.

I'm in az also. I hangout with some Arfcom dudes and we go out shooting & camping. If you wanna join us, IM or email me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, the IRS only shows "bandages" and is vague. However, First Aid Kits are FSA/HSA compliant. An IFAK/Blowout Kit IS first aid, so I contacted DAM and although they don't accept FSA/HSA cards, you can go through it this way:

1) Place order with personal credit card and ask for FSA/HSA Compliant itemized receipt
2) Contact your FSA/HSA and have them cut you a check or withdraw the exact amount.
3) Reimburse yourself with those withdrawn funds.
***So long as you have the itemized receipt, you are fine if you ever get audited.

I bought the DARK Gen 3 as a kit, because I don't think they would like to see that I bought separate pouches with an FSA/HSA card. I recently placed an order with Chinook Medical as well, for supplies only.

Edit - IRS Pub. 502

"You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical
supplies such as bandages."

It says "such as," but never says "limited to."

So I buy whatever medical supplies that I need.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#42]
OP.....don't buy any more gear. Save up some for some training classes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Tagged for interest since the corporate stupidity has most of the images blocked. 

For 'transparency', when I was in the green machine, we were issued an OD LBE pistol belt with two mag pouches and a canteen. If we were going to the desert, they gave us the larger canteen. All still OD green. So, all this 'war gear' came about well after I ETS'd, so I'll differ to those that actually used it in the ME playground for their expertise. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, the IRS only shows "bandages" and is vague. However, First Aid Kits are FSA/HSA compliant. An IFAK/Blowout Kit IS first aid, so I contacted DAM and although they don't accept FSA/HSA cards, you can go through it this way:

1) Place order with personal credit card and ask for FSA/HSA Compliant itemized receipt
2) Contact your FSA/HSA and have them cut you a check or withdraw the exact amount.
3) Reimburse yourself with those withdrawn funds.
***So long as you have the itemized receipt, you are fine if you ever get audited.

I bought the DARK Gen 3 as a kit, because I don't think they would like to see that I bought separate pouches with an FSA/HSA card. I recently placed an order with Chinook Medical as well, for supplies only.

Edit - IRS Pub. 502

"You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical
supplies such as bandages."

It says "such as," but never says "limited to."

So I buy whatever medical supplies that I need.
View Quote
Right on... I was able to use my HSA card at DAM. Mine is basically a MasterCard debit type card, used it like any other credit/debit card. Thanks again for the heads up, as I was not previously aware these were covered items.
Sorry, OP, didn't mean to derail your thread.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what are your so called "mission requirements" then?

Your attitude is pitiful. You are probably the guy at the range with the 3% MOLON LABIA hat and shitty patches covering every exposed piece of Velcro on your kit who walks around with a chip on their shoulder like they got something to prove because they never carried a gun for a living.

And then you want to go and call me a noob because I serve in the military, with actual combat experience, and I am issued equipment from "uncle sugar".
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd say cheap gear > no gear.
View Quote
While I am not necessarily referencing anything in this thread--I whole heartedly disagree with the above.  

It is more than possible to fight effectively with nothing more than a weapon, a decent pair of pants, and a Hello Kitty backback from Walmart.  

It's a tired old cliche by now, but the most important pieces of tactical gear you can have and/or work on are your brain and your body.  

Good gear combined with proper physical conditioning, mindset, and knowledge can enhance your capabilities.  

Bad gear can slow you down, restrict your ability to perform critical tasks, and give you a false sense of confidence that leads you into making poor decisions and getting yourself into bad situations.  

Basic bushcraft, going camping and hiking, doing some exercise, and downloading/ordering some manuals and synthesizing and learning skills and techniques costs next to nothing in the modern world.  

"Fight Light," as they say--even the folks who have all the most advanced and expensive equipment at their fingertips recognize that there are many situations where you're much better off going as light and slick as possible, and dropping all the extraneous gear and taking advantage of your superior speed, stealth, and maneuverability.  

In a "SHTF" scenario like the ones many folks fantasize about, these will all be much more important to your survival than any amount of body armor, nylon pouches, or even night vision.  

The modern emphasis in military and law enforcement on personal body armor reflects certain specificities of the way people involved in those lines of work operate--often with an emphasis on high profile operations with a well defined ROE and/or offensive operations/direct action competencies.  This should not be the model for your "SD" or "SHTF" plan, which also then means you probably shouldn't be modeling your equipment choices after people who do this stuff, either.  

As I've mentioned elsewhere--I have no problem with anyone wanting to buy, have, or use any military or military-style equipment, if you can afford it and you want it, I think you should be able to have it.  Hell, if you want an F-35 and can afford it, then you should be able to buy it, so I'm not trying to discourage anyone from anything or trying to imply that they shouldn't have or even want anything.  

That being said--I think 95% of non-military/LE that are not actively preparing for or working in non-permissive environments would be better served learning to fight in a t-shirt, good jeans, and a decent rucksack and maybe a chest rig.  Even NV--of which I'm a huge fan--can be more of a liability in a real life-or-death situation for someone who is not in the right headspace than it can be an asset.  

TL;DR:

Bad, cheap gear that you don't know how to use is most certainly not better than no gear.  No gear--but the right mindset and training is much better than being weighed down with a bunch of cheap, bad gear.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Your attitude is pitiful. You are probably the guy at the range with the 3% MOLON LABIA hat and shitty patches covering every exposed piece of Velcro on your kit who walks around with a chip on their shoulder like they got something to prove because they never carried a gun for a living.

And then you want to go and call me a noob because I serve in the military, with actual combat experience, and I am issued equipment from "uncle sugar".
View Quote
Besides the obvious fact OP has just mounted as much gear as his MOLLE loops would accommodate and never has taken the time to see if it works well....the part in red was what I was referring to in my first post.

OP ain't got no time for critique from those of us who've got experience setting up and using kit overseas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Besides the obvious fact OP has just mounted as much gear as his MOLLE loops would accommodate and never has taken the time to see if it works well....the part in red was what I was referring to in my first post.

OP ain't got no time for critique from those of us who've got experience setting up and using kit overseas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he has actually
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
<snip/>

"Fight Light," as they say--even the folks who have all the most advanced and expensive equipment at their fingertips recognize that there are many situations where you're much better off going as light and slick as possible, and dropping all the extraneous gear and taking advantage of your superior speed, stealth, and maneuverability.  
<snip/>
TL;DR:

Bad, cheap gear that you don't know how to use is most certainly not better than no gear.  No gear--but the right mindset and training is much better than being weighed down with a bunch of cheap, bad gear.  

~Augee
View Quote
An observation is that the British SAS(I think that we all can agree to their HSLD credentials and proficiency) has a practically unlimited budget BUT has a lot simpler kit than you do. Watch some YouTube video's of those that get to spend time training with the SAS and pay particular attention to their gear. It is simple, straight forward, and good quality. KISS to an extreme.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
My attitude is a direct reflection of yours. Note how I'm acting towards those who acted like grown ups in this thread.

You can build whatever reality you want for me. It doesn't bother me one bit. For the record I laugh at the people you describe. They would be the first to give up their guns if told to do so IMO

And I'm going off personal experience.  There are many people in many fields of employment who barely are proficient at their job. I'm not 18. Telling me you do X doesn't automatically impress me. You may very well be Rambo. But just being in the military doesn't make you so.

And I've seen plenty PLENTY of grunts, even SOF guys who weren't guns and gear guys. Outside of how well the stuff held up they couldn't tell you much more.

The bottom line is YOU came in here with an arrogant, bullshit attitude and are now acting like a turd because I called you out on it.

im not going to waste anymore of my breathe. This is probably going over your head as it is.

For the rest of you that helped me. Thank you. Here is an update:

So quick note. I got a dbal i2 two weeks ago but several people including some Rangers who now instruct weren't high on it. They said it's durability and zero retention is questionable. Not to mention I wanted a bright illuminator.
So I snagged this d2 and I like it but it's huge. Not sure how I'm going to run it even with a tape switch. I might just have to tax stamp this pistol which I sorta don't want to do.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top