Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 1:38:56 PM EDT
I'm getting a new radio at work - a Motorola APX 6000.

I carry my existing radio on my belt.  The old holster will not hold the new radio (it fits a Vertex 261, which is an awful radio for use on a ship).  So, I need a new holster.  Ideally, I'd like a radio holster that can also accommodate a flashlight and a knife, too.  Any ideas on a suitable radio holster?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm getting a new radio at work - a Motorola APX 6000.

I carry my existing radio on my belt.  The old holster will not hold the new radio (it fits a Vertex 261, which is an awful radio for use on a ship).  So, I need a new holster.  Ideally, I'd like a radio holster that can also accommodate a flashlight and a knife, too.  Any ideas on a suitable radio holster?
View Quote

I have a bladetech radio holster for my APX 6000. Only holds the radio, no knife and light
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't found anything suitable yet.  I may have to get a separate holder for the knife and flashlight.  I'd like to get things like that out of my pockets.  Easier to access, less holes in pockets, etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using an HSGI belt mount taco for my radio. love it.

Holds the radio tighter to my body, I don't bang it on as much shit now.

Carrying a knife is usually restricted by policy, not sure what your agency's is. I do use an HSGI flashlight/handcuff pouch combo that works well too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Best APX holster I have found is the Emdom universal rifle magazine carrier. Since the APX radios have protected buttons, it does not crush the buttons in and cause unintended activations. It goes in or out with no retention strap, won't come out, and works with a body mic or ptt clipped on the side. The taco mag pouch allows the radio to slip out too easily IMO, and is less ideal with body mic or ptt.

Previously, everytime I had to wrestle somone hands on the radio would pop out of the factory carrier, the body mic would come off my shirt, and the battery would come off the radio. None of these are problems now, except for the body mic, and that is reduced by use of a ptt at times for helmet use and the fact the radio never comes out to pull on the body mic in patrol uniform.

As a bonus, the same pouch can be used for 1 or 2 AR mags (retaining the second when the first is pulled), a Surefire 60 round mag, an AK mag, or a .308 mag.

Comes in molle variant only so needs an adapter for belt if not molle, but molle in front allows a pistol and/or flashlight to be mounted to it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
https://zero9-holsters.myshopify.com/products/portable-radio-case?variant=28165375489

Heres what I use for work.  Held up great and shipping was fast.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Crye SPS Pouch <--- What I use for my APX. What size battery do you have?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I just use this thing, works fine for my mainly admin role.  I don't get to go hands on as much as I used to.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I wound up getting a couple of maxpedition mag pouches.  I will use one for a folding knife and the other for a flashlight.  I received them in today's mail and will wear them to work tomorrow.  

I don't know what size battery I'm getting.  Unlike most of you, I am not doing anything high speed.  I just needed to get stuff out of my pockets while running around on ship.  Low profile and good retention are important, though, because I do a lot of confined space entry, bilge diving, machinery work, and work at height with people below.

I do know we are getting the 3.5 model 6000.  I think we would be better served by getting most crew members the 1.5 instead.  Contractors ar installing an antenna system on the ship right now.  We will have the radios restricted to a 1 watt power output for HERO/HERF compliance.

Whoever did the buy package was foolish.  We get the radios, a bunch of six bank chargers, and 1 battery per radio.  Only two individual chargers for the entire ship.  All the money spent on the 3.5 instead of the 1.5 could have covered individual chargers for every officer and senior unlicensed, a spare battery for every radio, and a remote mic.  Why on earth did the buy spec not include a remote mic?  Oh, well.  We'll get remote mics, it will just take more time and money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top