Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 11:46:16 AM EDT
Alright, not sure if a product like this exists that meets all my requirements, but I suspect there is something I'm overlooking. Maybe you guys can help - here's my situation:

I am working to have two armor rigs - a concealable low viz plate carrier with soft armor panels, and a separate rig for exterior/non concealable use that has regular level 4 plates. All of this is for civilian use and not for duty/law enforcement.

I regularly use AKs, ARs, and AR10 platforms, so I am ideally looking for a single clip on system that can be added to either plate carrier AND accommodate magazines ranging from AK to AR. I could use an all hook/loop system if I add a molle compatible loop panel to the front of my heavier carrier - the concealable carrier will probably have an all loop front like the PIG Brig or Ferro Slickster.

Now, I realize I could use a chest rig overtop of each individual carrier (I actually have an SOE AK/AR micro rig). This is a backup plan, but ideally I am looking for a clip on system to keep things light, fast, and less stacked gear.

Any recommendations? Right now the best looking option that I've found might be something like this modular HSGI assaulters panel from LBX/LBT - Modular Assaulters Panel
I would be totally down for something less fancy with just bungee retention or even mag pouches with flaps, doesn't have to be TACOs. At this point just looking for more options.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking at Ferro Concepts, then why not the Slickster Molle Front Flap? That's $28.

If I understand your parameters, there are numerous options. The PIG has a MOLLE panel. The Esstac Daeodon has different front panels as well. The PIG and Esstac MOLLE panels are $35 on SKD so at least those won't break the bank if you buy a couple for different setups.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're looking at Ferro Concepts, then why not the Slickster Molle Front Flap? That's $28.

If I understand your parameters, there are numerous options. The PIG has a MOLLE panel. The Esstac Daeodon has different front panels as well. The PIG and Esstac MOLLE panels are $35 on SKD so at least those won't break the bank if you buy a couple for different setups.
View Quote

Well, that makes sense for the Slickster, but my other carrier with hard armor has Molle on the front. I was wondering what my options were to have a system that I could just clip right on to either carrier while also being compatible with multiple magazine sizes. There honestly may not be something readily available for this goal, but with SO many products out there these days I thought maybe there's a chance I'm overlooking something or unaware of a solution.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the d3cr heavy with the mp2 inserts? That way you should be able to run all the mags you requested.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe the d3cr heavy with the mp2 inserts? That way you should be able to run all the mags you requested.
View Quote

Great suggestion, thank you! This will be another option to consider.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Which MOLLE plate carrier do you currently have?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which MOLLE plate carrier do you currently have?
View Quote

I have the First Spear STT, so it is actually the 6/12 laser cut slots and not Molle webbing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Mayflower Low Profile Armor Carrier.  https://www.velsyst.com/low-profile-armor-carrier.html

Then add a Haley chest rig.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright dudes I think I figured out a solution. Here are my potential solutions.

1) Haley DC3R heavy + MP2's = would most likely work perfectly fine. But it's not as slim on the chest as I would ideally prefer, and it's expensive. I mostly just want to be able to carry two to three rifle magazines on my chest and that's it. I don't carry around a bunch of shit because I can't think of a scenario where I'd use it. This gets back to cost - I decided it probably wasn't worth about $200 worth of gear just to carry mags on my chest in a way that didn't really fit what I wanted. Still though, definitely would have worked.

2) TACO panel. I would have to find a way to put loop on the front of my heavy carrier that has molle, then purchase the modular taco panel from LBX/LBT and clips for the front of my carrier. This would accommodate all rifle mag sizes and with loop on the front of my molle carrier would have allowed me to pretty easily take it from my hard armor carrier to a Ferro Slickster or any low viz carrier that had loop on the front as most do along with the two ITW clips for extra security. This was a close second and honestly may still be the way I end up going. But what is kind of pushing me away from it is that, for one, it's still $150 or more in gear, and the LBX taco panels only come in rifle/pistol variation so I would have more shit on top of the rifle mags keeping me from getting low to the ground. I also don't really dig how TACOs have a shelf life on the retention.

3) What I will probably actually end up doing - Spiritus Systems micro chest rig. I will still need to add loop to the front of my molle carrier to make this work the way I want it. But if I buy the micro chest rig, the 5.56 mag insert, and the 7.62 mag insert that Spiritus sells, I happen to already have ESSTAC AK mag retainers that work in kangaroo pouches which is essentially what the Spiritus is. This is about a $100 project and keeps everything close to chest and easy to take on and off. The only downside is that when I want to use different magazines I have to change out one magazine insert for the other via velcro. But that's not too big a deal for me.

Now the only unknown is - whats the easiest way to add some loop to the front of a molle plate carrier so I can retain some of the hook-backed panels or rigs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top