Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2017 3:17:48 PM EDT
Seems there's a bunch of kevlar "CVC" or "Combat Vehicle Crewman" helmets out there for dirt cheap that can be easily converted for use as an "infantry" style helmet. Seems lots of people "convert" them. I like the idea 'cause they're high cut and would make for a good, cheap ops-core knock off. Anyone know anything about these? Worth the trouble?

Link for info.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an old ballistic shell that I put a Team Wendy strap and pad kit on along with an ACH NVG bracket. All in all very simple for an afternoon project.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had an old ballistic shell that I put a Team Wendy strap and pad kit on along with an ACH NVG bracket. All in all very simple for an afternoon project.
View Quote

Yeah, it seems easy enough to set them up, I'm just concerned abou their ability as a ballistic helmet.

Looks like if I were to do this, I would want to get the 132B model, as thats the one with the best ballistic rating with a V50 of 2150 FPS. The 132A has a V50 of only 1400 FPS while the 132 is just a fiberglass shell, no ballistic rating.

EDIT: New info, looks like the V50 rating is tested with a 17 grain "fragmentation simulation" according to MIL Standard 662, thats for both the 132A and 132B. Anyone know what that equates to in NIJ ratings, if its even possible to compare?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes in this case thicker is better!! The fiberglass ones are really easy to spot as well if you are on the lookout for them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the Revision ACH does 2400+ frag and their mandible does 2300+ for V50. The Level 3A helmet for LE is the same shell and stops 9mm and 44 mag hangun rounds.

No real ACH does under 2200 on V50.

So yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it might be more like a NIJ II rating equivalent. Keep in mind though, there is no backface limit for NIJ helmet ratings. As long as it does not damage the witness plate, in the center of the head form, it passes if it stops the bullet, even if death from blunt trauma is guaranteed.

The real question is did it only do that 2150 V50 and fail or just pass the F6 V50 at 2130? If that is not the true V50 it may be a 3A equivalent.

The lower V50 helmet is worthless IMO. There are youtube videos of 9mm pentrations.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the one Ive been fiddling with for fun.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Sweet. How is the weight and fit compared to an ACH of similar size? From what I understand the CVC is more "one size fits all" than the ACH, having only 2 sizes, small/medium size and large size. 

I'll likely end up getting one as it seems they can be had for only ~$100 bucks. Trying to figure out hydro dipping so I can dip the helmet in multicam. 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm cutting up an old ACH I got for ~$100 since they aren't worth much anyways. Planning on trying a cutting disc and a body saw with a fine tooth blade. 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sweet. How is the weight and fit compared to an ACH of similar size? From what I understand the CVC is more "one size fits all" than the ACH, having only 2 sizes, small/medium size and large size. 

I'll likely end up getting one as it seems they can be had for only ~$100 bucks. Trying to figure out hydro dipping so I can dip the helmet in multicam. 
View Quote

The CVC shell is a medium as opposed to the XL I usually wear (both the PASGT and ACH are XL for comparison) and is a little too small with the standard pads that are in there. However, smaller pads allow it to fit just fine and can be configured for different things.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm cutting up an old ACH I got for ~$100 since they aren't worth much anyways. Planning on trying a cutting disc and a body saw with a fine tooth blade. 
View Quote

I had considered going this route as well, simply sawing off the "ears" of my ACH so my Sordins could fit better, but I was concerned about compromising the ballistic integrity of the helmet. 

Plus, I'm sure I'd manage to screw it up and make it look like a sloppy hack job. 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The CVC shell is a medium as opposed to the XL I usually wear (both the PASGT and ACH are XL for comparison) and is a little too small with the standard pads that are in there. However, smaller pads allow it to fit just fine and can be configured for different things.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG-0958-142898.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG-0957-142897.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG-0956-142896.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG-0955-142895.JPG
View Quote

Thanks a lot for the pics! Nice setups.

So it sounds like the small/medium CVC will fit me fine, seems its larger than a Medium ACH. I currently have a Medium ACH, and the fit with the greyish stock pads is... meh. I mean, it fits, but a tiny bit more room would be great. The crown pad touches my head, but the helmet still sits roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch too high over my brow no matter what I do. Almost considered going to Large, but I was afraid it would be too big. Hell, maybe my head is just shaped weird.

And then there's trying to make the ACH comfy with Sordins on... just... ugh. The "ears" on the ACH contact the cups of my Sordins, squeezing them into my head a bit. Could probably be fixed by going to a Large but... Yeah, I think I'm about done with the ACH.

Well, sounds like I'm getting a CVC. I think I'll put some Oregon Aero pads in it 'cause the stock ACH pads are just . Heres hoping I like it better than my ACH. 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Oregon Aero is what I used in my PASGT.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Having owned a regular ACH, a Highcut ACH and now a Ops Core Fast Ballistic helmet I can say hands down the ops core is better and is worth paying the extra money. Especially if you wear it frequently or use night vision.

If youre just worried about having a helmet on your head for SHTF then a ACH or vehicle helmet will do fine.

BTW most ear pro should fit under an ACH
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Having owned a regular ACH, a Highcut ACH and now a Ops Core Fast Ballistic helmet I can say hands down the ops core is better and is worth paying the extra money. Especially if you wear it frequently or use night vision.

If youre just worried about having a helmet on your head for SHTF then a ACH or vehicle helmet will do fine.

BTW most ear pro should fit under an ACH
View Quote

Heh, if I had the money to be running NVGs I wouldn't be looking at buying cheap helmets. 

The helmet isn't going to be worn with any frequency at all and is pretty much just an SHTF peice of gear, and I don't have the cash for NVGs and I won't for a long time.

And I know most people manage to get ear-pro under an ACH, but I guess my head shape was just wierd enough to not allow me to do it comfortably. I could probably go up a size and make it work better, but I figued just getting something high-cut and never worrying about it again would be a better long term solution. Thus, the CVC seems to be the solution to my specific situation. Cheap, high cut, but still ballistic. Works for me (hopefully, anyway).
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you looked at the Brit helmets yet? The Mk6 is more common now that they have gone on to the Mk7.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the Brit helmets yet? The Mk6 is more common now that they have gone on to the Mk7.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56078/IMG-0972-143790.JPG
View Quote

Anyone know how similar the protection level of the MK-6 is to something like a PASGT?

The one I had for awhile seemed a lot thinner than a PASGT shell.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Anyone know how similar the protection level of the MK-6 is to something like a PASGT?

The one I had for awhile seemed a lot thinner than a PASGT shell.
View Quote

Probably less than a PASGT. The MK-6 is built using ballistic nylon, thats 40s/50s era tech used in the old Vietnam era flak vests. PASGTs are kevlar.

The MK6 is very likely only low velocity frag rated. I sure as hell wouldn't trust it to stop handgun rounds. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I brainfarted that you wanted more ballistic than bump. The Mk6A is supposed to be improved over the Mk6 with Kevlar, but I have read several accounts of the Mk6 stopping some  metal from entering Limey brain buckets back in the day
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I brainfarted that you wanted more ballistic than bump. The Mk6A is supposed to be improved over the Mk6 with Kevlar, but I have read several accounts of the Mk6 stopping some  metal from entering Limey brain buckets back in the day
View Quote

Heh, yeah definitely going for ballistic. My brain is... kind of important. Besides that, even if I could find an MK6A it doesn't really look like you could fit Sordins under those helmets, could you?

Either way, I just bought a CVC 132B from a fellow Arfcommer. Should be here next week. 

Also, it seems most ACH helmets that are tested to IIIa have a V50 for 17gr projectiles of around 2130 to 2180 fps. For example, the Ceradyne gunfighter cut helmet has a V50 of 2132 fps. Even the Ops-Core Fast has a V50 of only 2200 fps, thats direct from Ops-Cores specs on their site. The CVC 132B has a V50 of 2150 fps, so they're damn close to being IIIa, if not actually being IIIa. Though the backface deformation specs might not be awesome, which is where the real problem would be. 

Ah well, fuck it. For $100 and better compatibility with my earpro, its good enough for me. Hopefully the thing fits well... 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

YMMV but I hate my ops core.  I thought it was a sizing issue but after trying on several of my team mates helmets they just don't fit my head right.  I have one issued to me and I find myself grabbing the ACH which has an ops core h-harness on it and some upgraded pads (think they're Team Wendy from a few years ago before they were "PNG" here).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top