Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 6:05:57 PM EDT
So I'm trying to get information and I've noticed that it's close to impossible to find any info on it. Is it a forbidden topic or is it just not a popular plate system?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're thinking about buying some I'm afraid thats not going to happen unless you know something/someone I don't. Best I could dig up was an expired ArmsList listing from 2013 selling a supposed XSAPI pair for $1500. Most real, "brand name" SAPIs are, as far as I know, Gov. property. Lots of imitators and plates that are very similar, but getting your hands on actual Mil. issue SAPIs of any kind seems to be difficult. So its not that its a "forbidden topic", its just that it's practically impossible to get your hands on real-deal SAPIs, XSAPI, ESAPI, or otherwise. 

If I were you, I would just look at Lvl. 4 offerings from other manufacturers such as Highcom, Hesco, Paraclete, etc. if Lvl. 4 ceramics are what you're after and forget about chasing after SAPI plates. 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember seeing an ebay listing claiming to be an XSAPI before but nothing recently.

Oddly enough there seems to have been a big reduction in the number of Ebay listings for military armor. Not seeing as many for IBAs or black SAPI plates anymore. Wonder if there was a crackdown.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you want to know about them? They are heavier, supposed to offer more protection against AP rounds, and there aren't any for sale they were issued in limited quantities and have tan color to them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#4]
no text here
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#5]
SAPI and ESAPIs can be found with a little digging online, they used to be for sale on eBay in large numbers but they cracked down on it. Both plates are ICW (in conjunction with) plates meaning they require a soft armor backer to provide the full level of protection.  SAPI will provide roughly a NIJ lvl 3 and ESAPI will provide approximately lvl 4. I say approximately as the mil spec plates are not designed or tested to the exact same standards.

Regarding the XSAPI it was developed to address a specific ballistic threat the ESAPI could not stop. For obvious reasons the military did not releas what that threat was or our enemies would use that info against our soldiers. The XSAPIs are built identical to the ESAPI just thinker and heavier. As far as I know the XSAPI was never issued. I'm to lazy to look it up but I remember a number like 40,000 being produced.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know that the XSAPI ever went into real production. I thought it was just a research project. I could be wrong, because I haven't kept track of it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
It came out and apparently had multiple revisions as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SAPI and ESAPIs can be found with a little digging online, they used to be for sale on eBay in large numbers but they cracked down on it. Both plates are ICW (in conjunction with) plates meaning they require a soft armor backer to provide the full level of protection.  SAPI will provide roughly a NIJ lvl 3 and ESAPI will provide approximately lvl 4. I say approximately as the mil spec plates are not designed or tested to the exact same standards.

Regarding the XSAPI it was developed to address a specific ballistic threat the ESAPI could not stop. For obvious reasons the military did not releas what that threat was or our enemies would use that info against our soldiers. The XSAPIs are built identical to the ESAPI just thinker and heavier. As far as I know the XSAPI was never issued. I'm to lazy to look it up but I remember a number like 40,000 being produced.
View Quote

A buddy who deployed in 2011 got XSAPIs. When I deployed in 2012 I got ESAPIs. Different locations, different threats, different PPE.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're thinking about buying some I'm afraid thats not going to happen unless you know something/someone I don't. Best I could dig up was an expired ArmsList listing from 2013 selling a supposed XSAPI pair for $1500. Most real, "brand name" SAPIs are, as far as I know, Gov. property. Lots of imitators and plates that are very similar, but getting your hands on actual Mil. issue SAPIs of any kind seems to be difficult. So its not that its a "forbidden topic", its just that it's practically impossible to get your hands on real-deal SAPIs, XSAPI, ESAPI, or otherwise. 

If I were you, I would just look at Lvl. 4 offerings from other manufacturers such as Highcom, Hesco, Paraclete, etc. if Lvl. 4 ceramics are what you're after and forget about chasing after SAPI plates. 
View Quote

I think the SAPI's I've seen from B.P.M. are contract plates.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Fwiw, current issue is the ESAPI for generic units. I'm sure the operators have cool stuff, but even if I knew, I probably couldn't tell you.

Also, FWIW, even being active duty, currently, it is VERY difficult to acquire, by any means, these plates. They are serialized, thusly the individual must turn in THEIR specific plates, or pepper thine angus.

Afaik, and is printed on the plate, it is good for M2-AP protection. As discovered the hard way by some people I know, they WILL stop lesser threats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top