Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 4:33:29 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 1.5 inner belt that can substitute for an EDC.

Preferably I'd like it to have a stiffening insert like the Wilderness belts.

How stiff is the Scuba Webbing versus Rigger's belt webbing, or are they the same?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
volund gearworks
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't say it has an inner liner but that it has a "stiff webbing lined with flat webbing"...

I assume you know this to be stiff and not a weak webbing?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Been running Ares Gear for years, I love their stuff!

WAYY stiffer then any of my riggers belts

Ares Gear
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been running Ares Gear for years, I love their stuff!

WAYY stiffer then any of my riggers belts

Ares Gear
View Quote

Which belt?

Does it come with and inner belt?

Will they sell a 1.5 inner separate?

Will the inner suffice for carry purposes?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Stiff inner belt: Uncle Mikes Loop back Inner belt ...(Yes I know don't laugh) but it is very stiff and the loop back is better
than just velcroing on its self like a lot of other inner belts.
Link:
Uncle Mikes

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the picture and post.

The fold back is a good idea.

Who makes your outer belt?

I want to go with the soft side out (loop) on the inner belt so that when I take the belt off nothing get tangled in the velcro. Plus I want to be able to use the inner to ride my normal daily attachments, when I'm done with the outer belt, without having to change everything out.

In essence, it needs to perform the same duty as my stiffened Wilderness...

I don't think they will customize but I emailed Wilderness to see if they do

If I could just add a soft side layer of velcro around the Wilderness, I'd be in business...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#7]
This quest that I'm on is really making me think carefully on every piece of new gear in need to replace my old gear.

My current rig is not untrustworthy or broken. It's just old and outdated.

So far, for my base I've chosen Volund Gearwork's: Simple Liner Belt and 2" Micro Battle Belt V1.

Expensive stuff. I had a hard time choosing between Volund and Ronin.

Finally went with Volund because:

The buckle is smaller.
The buckle system area is less bulky.
The belt has vertical webbing.
The inner belt seems the be stiffer that all the others (time will tell).
And though I can't prove it, Volund created the design first. (Truthfully, that only had a tiny effect on my decision, but some nonetheless.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Again don't laugh outer belt its Condor Gun Belt: (yes most Condor stuff is crap)
Link
The reason; I looked everywhere for a super stiff Cobra buckle belt and compared to all the high end, name branded companies
The Cobra belt because it has plastic liner is pretty damn stiff and at $60 is a deal.
Now I did pay $20 to have Velcro sewn on the inside of the belt so I could pair it with a inner belt.
Its stiff enough to run it in 3gun with shotgun shell caddies and multiple mag pouches.

For EDC I run a Wilderness Instructor belt
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Cobra belt because it has plastic liner is pretty damn stiff and at $60 is a deal.
Now I did pay $20 to have Velcro sewn on the inside of the belt so I could pair it with a inner belt.
View Quote

No laughing from me... Sound reasoning inside your own parameters for your scope of use...

I like that you modified the inside to fit your needs too...
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#10]
So it arrived today.

The belt is very sturdy. It may even be stronger than my plastic lined 5 stitched Wilderness Belt.

Here are some pictures:

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Since I own both 1.75" and 1.5" Volund G-Hook belts and 2" Ronin and AWS inner belts I can confirm the Volund is super stiff and far stiffer than Ronin/AWS (identical other than the label).

The Volund G-Hook is great if used as a concealed carry belt but totally not what you want for an inner belt in a 2 belt system. Its too stiff and thick. The Volund micro battle belt also holds gear less secure and is less comfortable. The smaller buckle is worthless because the whole belt is thicker and the Ronin buckle does not poke you.  The Ronin is actually set off your body by a small mount. The .75" inner spacing also holds molle more secure with no need to hold the top or bottom of the outter molle strips. I have found no use for the horizontal molle.

Volund is better made and more adjustable but less comfortabe and gear wobbles on the molle more and many holsters won't fit a Volund due to thickness.

The Volund G-Hook is a good emergency inner belt, but I would not recommend it as a primary inner belt to anyone. It's a stand alone belt.

That Volund all velcro belt is less bulky but is about the thickness of my leather velcro inner belt for my duty belt. Not as good as my G-hook as a stand alone belt, but beetle as a liner... still not as good as a thinner liner like the Ronin, which is no good as a stand one belt. Concealed use and liner use have opposite needs. You can't get both to be great in a single belt.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have tried Ares Gear and One Shot industries belts:

The Ares Gear has ruined probably 3 pairs of my work shorts it is SO STIFF-  Still probably the best gun belt I have ever owned, nothing I have holds a firearm as secure.

One Shot is more comfortable but not as stiff, it gives you a flex but no slouch.

Next on my list is to try one of the new Magpul belts to blend in a bit..

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Ares runs hook velcro on the outter face of the inner belt don't they? I have had hook velcro booger up lots of stuff (shirts, belt loops, etc.) which is why I prefer loop velcro on the outter face of an inner belt that may be worn alone and a thinner hook strip on an outter belt so it is sure to be fully covered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top