Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2017 10:38:07 PM EDT
I might be taking my first tactical carbine and/or pistol course soon and knee pads are one of the only items I don't have, but might need.  
What do you guys recommend?  If nothing else I'm going to Lowe's or Home Depot and getting some cheap ones there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The ones I see recommended and praised most often are the Alta Industries Altaflex pads. Link to Altas knee pads.

Granted, I have no personal experience with them and can't speak to their quality directly, but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with some personal experience. 
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still very much in love with my Crye pants.
All other protectors always ended up on my ankles.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Arcteryx knee caps.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#4]
How are the arcteryx with ending up down at your ankles? Every other knee pad I've used ends up being an ankle pad after any extended walking and kneeling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are the arcteryx with ending up down at your ankles? Every other knee pad I've used ends up being an ankle pad after any extended walking and kneeling.
View Quote
Mine stay put. I will sometimes forget I am wearing them and will be walking around in them long after dropping kit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Alta knee pads are the only thing that have really worked well for me. Good padding, good protection, and somewhere under $20 on Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine stay put. I will sometimes forget I am wearing them and will be walking around in them long after dropping kit.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear the 5.11 Tactical or Tac Lite Pro pants to the classes I take.  They have an inner pocket where you can insert the 5.11 neoprene knee pads.  Then they can't move.  Work great as long as the rocks/stuff isn't too big.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Altas . They are the only knee pads I've owned. I just got them. They fall down. A lot. Now keep in mind I've only worn them around the apartment and I didn't really crank down on them to make them tight so maybe that will help.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best standalone knee pads out there. The Alta are ok, but heavier and more prone to becoming ankle pads. Avoid galls, hatch, etc. if you want to be real fancy, Crye combat pants + Crye knee pads.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get the Arc'teryx knee caps. I tried most of the other types and they are POS compared to the Arcs. The shape and slick adjustments on the straps keep them pretty secure. They were designed orginally for cross country skiing IIRC, so they are pretty unlikely to slide.

Almost foolproof...  I have had them occasionally migrate south on the leg after extensive walking while wearing Gortex pants but only 10% of the time compared to Altas
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Either Arcteryx knee caps or Black Diamond Telekneesis.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Arc'teryx knee caps are the best I have used over a shit ton of courses (and doing home repair/improvement projects).

For full disclosure, I have used the Altas and frankly, they are ok. However, you cannot beat Arc'teryx for comfort
and quality.

The important thing is, no matter what brand you choose, wear them.

Nothing is worse than kneeling down onto an upright shell casing.

It's a show-stopper.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like they are the best option. Any forces guys on here worn them in the field for extended periods?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds like they are the best option. Any forces guys on here worn them in the field for extended periods?
View Quote

Yes. I spent a month in Hohenfels back in end of September/early October with two weeks straight in the box. I would drop kit but forget to remove the knee caps. I ended up wearing them for two weeks straight (sleeping, pulling security, long patrols, etc). As long as you aren't carrying around an incredibly heavy load (I had an M4 and AT-4 along with an IOTV and seven magazines) they are comfortable as hell.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes. I spent a month in Hohenfels back in end of September/early October with two weeks straight in the box. I would drop kit but forget to remove the knee caps. I ended up wearing them for two weeks straight (sleeping, pulling security, long patrols, etc). As long as you aren't carrying around an incredibly heavy load (I had an M4 and AT-4 along with an IOTV and seven magazines) they are comfortable as hell.
View Quote

Thanks bru. You mention as long as you aren't carring around incredibly heavy loads? Did they cause any issue doing this?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I might just try the Alta's.  for under $25 and free shipping (amazon prime) I think I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my Alta knee pads in olive green today from Amazon.  I wore them around the house for a while and I'm pretty impressed with the fit and quality for the price.  Hopefully I'll be using them soon at a carbine course in the spring.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Theyll end up at your ankles just like the rest, didnt pass the low crawl test for me.  The Crye pants/pads are the only thing that has really worked for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top