Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2016 11:09:34 PM EDT
I placed an order for a 2 pack of the plates in the link below on black Friday because who can pass up a set of 2 level IV plates for $200 right? After a little research these appear to be made by RMA Defense. Over the last day or two I've been reading a couple threads (one recent and one old) about RMA's products. Unfortunately neither of these threads had any info on the 1145 plate model. I have no interest in getting into a debate about RMA's products or what may or may not have been done in the past. I'm simply looking for information about the 1145 plates and if these will do what they state or if I will end up looking like Swiss cheese if I were to take a round to the plate. Since these have not been shipped yet should I cancel the order and look elsewhere?

https://www.shellbacktactical.com/prevail-level-iv-hard-body-armor-plates-2-pack-kit/
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope it doesn't turn into the storm that came in the other thread but this was my initial question as well. I bought the same plates also and have yet to get any real experienced reviews or tests.  

In for more answers
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm waiting for better weather to test the 1145# plate I have on site. I'm hoping to get to this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a set today 12/29 262.45 with shipping.... Not so bad for 2 plates I think
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to know I'm not the only one wondering about these plates. Buffman, that's great to hear. Not sure if you mentioned that in the other thread but if you did I must have missed it. I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I'm a low speed, high drag civilian and will not be wearing these every day on the job but it sure would be good to know that if I hear a bump in the night and throw my plates on that they'll work to stop something coming my way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking at picking up a set of plates and saw that deal as well.  Any reviews available yet?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am looking at picking up a set of plates and saw that deal as well.  Any reviews available yet?
View Quote
working on it. Sorry it's taking so long. I wanted to add an extra element of data to the demo, and it's taking longer to get done. If I can't get it accomplished this week, I will perform the demo without it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Serious question...I'm walking around with these things on most of my day.  Should I be?  Based on your testing thus far?

ETA:  Its what I am issued but I have purchased an additional set for personal use
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Serious question...I'm walking around with these things on most of my day.  Should I be?  Based on your testing thus far?

ETA:  Its what I am issued but I have purchased an additional set for personal use
View Quote

Who do you work for that issues uncertified plates, and that you're wearing them everyday?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can only speak of my 1189 testing. The 1145 is literally sitting in my room staring at me saying "shoot me, shoot me" :D
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a chuckle out of that.  Look forward to seeing how they do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Buffman...I misunderstood and thought you had already done some preliminary testing but were waiting for something else to test them further.

Patiently waiting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who do you work for that issues uncertified plates, and that you're wearing them everyday?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local PD.  Started out with AR500 LEVEL III steel.  Super heavy.   My position is plain clothes and most of my day is spent searching houses and/or making felony arrests whether it be search warrants, parole waiver searches.  I certainly don't wear them all day or even everyday... but "most" is pretty appropriate.  Also on SWAT.  Not a full time team but one of the larger ones in the state. 

My dept. Is actually considering a banshee plate carrier and two of the 1145's for every officer due to the price. Obviously all uniformed wear soft armor and these would be an "active shooter" rig.  Around 200 officers.  I'm sure the price tag is what is most appealing. Not ideal but reasonable and better than just soft armor. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
It's tested :) I will do my hardest to get it uploaded tonight/tomorrow morning. I'm going to tease you though for awhile..
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Bro...at least tell us if anything made it through.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Local PD.  Started out with AR500 LEVEL III steel.  Super heavy.   My position is plain clothes and most of my day is spent searching houses and/or making felony arrests whether it be search warrants, parole waiver searches.  I certainly don't wear them all day or even everyday... but "most" is pretty appropriate.  Also on SWAT.  Not a full time team but one of the larger ones in the state. 

My dept. Is actually considering a banshee plate carrier and two of the 1145's for every officer due to the price. Obviously all uniformed wear soft armor and these would be an "active shooter" rig.  Around 200 officers.  I'm sure the price tag is what is most appealing. Not ideal but reasonable and better than just soft armor. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. The banshee is a great carrier.

I'm surprised a Dept would issue uncertified plates though.

I did some property management down in New Haven CT back on 05 and if I had it I would have worn plates every day no problem
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking forward to the video
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks. The banshee is a great carrier.

I'm surprised a Dept would issue uncertified plates though.

I did some property management down in New Haven CT back on 05 and if I had it I would have worn plates every day no problem
View Quote

I think my Dept. looks at it more from a financial standpoint and to them uncertified means bupkiss.  I'd be surprised if they even read past "level IV".  To the decision makers it's just better than nothing.  Our SWAT team received a huge grant last year and bought 11x14 ar500 level III+ plates for the team.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looking forward to the video
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's tested :) I will do my hardest to get it uploaded tonight/tomorrow morning. I'm going to tease you though for awhile..
View Quote

Waiting!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Surely the OP was not wearing the vest while testing ?

Are you still with us ?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:22:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Surely the OP was not wearing the vest while testing ? Are you still with us ?
View Quote
Haha I'm right here. Video is done, will see if it can upload tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Information on the Shellback website notes that the plates were "Tested to NIJ 0101.06 standards" and the certificate from Oregon Ballistic Lab is posted and indicates the plate "passed".  

I am far from a body armor aficionado.  Is there another type of certification the OP should be looking for?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Information on the Shellback website notes that the plates were "Tested to NIJ 0101.06 standards" and the certificate from Oregon Ballistic Lab is posted and indicates the plate "passed".  

I am far from a body armor aficionado.  Is there another type of certification the OP should be looking for?
View Quote
NIJ compliance list. This list means that a company paid to have an official NIJ (whatever current standard is - 06) test done on XX model of a plate and it passed. Those plates appear by manufacturer and model # on the NIJ's list. Some call it a "compliance list" others a "certification list". 

Testing by an outside ballistic lab validates on a repeatable level that the plate would meet whatever NIJ spec it's rated for. It doesn't mean though it's been certified by NIJ

BTW Video: 
https://youtu.be/k0N5eKakkA0
RMA 1155 The Best NIJ Certified Level IV Amor For The Money!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#24]
^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for clarifying the NIJ certification process.  

Thank you very much for braving the cold to conduct the test and post it up!  Excellent review with great information!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Buffman, outstanding test and review! Huge thanks for going out and braving the cold to get this done!

Good to know that these plates can take quite a beating. My plates just shipped yesterday from Shellback tactical and should be here Monday. Feeling much more confident with my purchase now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine is still Order Status: Awaiting Fulfillment

Thanks for the real world testing..
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome Review!!! Thanks for doing that.  I feel pretty confident wearing these and recommending them to buddies. 
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Awesome Review!!! Thanks for doing that.  I feel pretty confident wearing these and recommending them to buddies. 
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#29]
do they charge your cc when you order it or when it ships?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine was charged when I placed the order.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Same here...
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#32]
it's been almost a month.. still in Fullfilment
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
it's been almost a month.. still in Fullfilment
View Quote

I ordered mine Thanksgiving weekend and received them a couple of weeks ago. Clearly they're getting them from a 3rd party so fulfillment to them might be unpredictable.

They fit great in the Banshee I ordered at the same time. I've done some light jogging and calisthenics with the rig and have found it to be quite comfortable. Did a bit of shooting today while wearing it. No problems shouldering and shooting my AR or drawing/firing my handgun. Looks to be a good set up for my needs. I'm not going down range in a known hostile environment. Simply wanted a solid piece of gear in place....just in case. Looking forward to working with it in the months ahead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I think we've shown that the Shellback are just rebranded RMA Armament model 1145 plates. Good plates though.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm still looking for a flecktarn plate carrier..
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for better weather to test the 1145# plate I have on site. I'm hoping to get to this weekend.
View Quote
How close to the edge do you plant to shoot them?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How close to the edge do you plant to shoot them?
View Quote
The 1145 plates are full strike face 10x12. The 1199 is the one that has the foam edge. I do not have those on site yet. It would be interesting to see what the edge would stop without the ceramic. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The 1145 plates are full strike face 10x12. The 1199 is the one that has the foam edge. I do not have those on site yet. It would be interesting to see what the edge would stop without the ceramic. 
View Quote

.17 Pellets?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

.17 Pellets?
View Quote

maybbbe a .22 :D
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#41]
HAllelujah, My plates have shipped..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top