Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2016 4:11:04 PM EDT
I am interested in buying a PC and lvl IV plates as part of my SHTF prep.  I care about quality and weight.  Not particularly price sensitive (within reason, not looking to spend a few grand).

I am 5'6", 145lbs and in good shape - lift and run several times a week.  36" chest.  I hunt several times a month in the fall and winter carrying a fair amount of weight so I hope I should be capable of doing normal tasks in armor, but am very focused on minimizing weight.

Want lvl IV plates, not sure about side armor.  Will 10x12s be too big?  If so do I need Small SAPIs?

I assume a one-size-fits-most carrier such as a PIG will NOT work.  I was looking at the SKD First Spear STT (which comes in two sizes), and also some of the other first spear options which appear to come in a small.  However, I am open to any PC.  Not trying to look like a bad-ass, so to the extent color is an option something subdued like coyote brown is my preference.

With respect to buying the plates I am a civilian and have a CHL so I assume that leaves a small number of vendors such as SKD.

Any and all recommendations appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
JPC Small SAPI. 10x12 is too big for sure. 10x12 usually fits guys 5'8"-6"0" that are broader or heavier than average. It will be both too long, but more importantly, too wide. A medium SAPI fits slimmer guys of the same height range. You need a small.

You might consider III+ plates instead of IV plates to save several pounds. Weight matters more for smaller guys.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a couple inches taller than you but weigh a couple pounds less. You want small plates. 10x12s are huge on me. I wear 8x10 level 3+ steel plates from Spartan Armor, shooters cut. They fit perfectly. I would also look into swimmers cut plates if you want to save some more weight, plus you're really small, however I also have a 36" chest and I'm not all encumbered by my plates. 

As for side armor, due to your height I wouldn't recommend them. I wear 6x6 side plates and they aren't a problem at all, but I wear them so the tops sit right under my armpits, IE I wear them much higher than most do. If I wear them any lower they hit the top of my pelvis when running or bending to the side. You can try, but I suspect you'll not like wearing side plates, but then again you know you're body shape better than I do so maybe try them out and if they don't work well sell the side plates. 

And for the PC, you're going to have to get one fitted to your plate size if you go small. Most carries are designed for 10x12s or similar sized plates and you'll get a lot of "flop" and excess material if you try to use a "standard" size carrier with small plates.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at First Spear, they size their PCs to the size shirt you wear.  I called them to confirm this.  I would call them and review with them the size of the PC and plates that work best with it.  As far as plates, consider a Level + or ++.  Take a look at Spartan Armor, DFNDR, Highcom security.  There are a few others that I can't think of at the moment.  They all make quality products and offer a good selection.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  Looking at the JPC and will give First Spear a call.

With respect to ordering small SAPIs it looks like Highcom has half a dozen or so different models in lvl 4 alone.  It wasn't apparent to me why there are so many options - I assume primarily weight and price variations?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at shellbacktactical.com and their plate and carrier combos. The banshee is a nice option with their level iv plates for about 350.00 total.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 5'7" and 165lbs. I wear a PIG Brig with level IV Hesco 10×12 plates and PIG shoulder pads.  It's an elastic cumberbund with no side plates.  Not the lightest plates ever, but this setup works great for me.  Cheap, good protection, streamlined, durable.

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  Looking at the JPC and will give First Spear a call.

With respect to ordering small SAPIs it looks like Highcom has half a dozen or so different models in lvl 4 alone.  It wasn't apparent to me why there are so many options - I assume primarily weight and price variations?
View Quote

It's usually weight, the different cuts available, multi-curve vs. single curve but also what it is rated for as well.  I've seen slightly different ratings for the different level plates.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You are exactly my size. I have a Banshee with 10x12 HighCom 4sas7 multi-curve plates. Bought it in early 2014. I was wearing it when I was down to 140lbs and running with it on.
ETA: My setup weighs right at 20lbs with three loaded Pmags. I think the plates are 7.2 lbs a piece
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?85112-Proper-Wear-of-Armor-(with-anatomical-diagrams)&s=c8171a1efcc3e8d702b246cd1a98dd73

Check out this thread. I cut my own plates out of cardboard and used some par cord to see which size fit me correctly.

I ended up with a set of 8x10 from high com and they work great.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm planning to get some small SAPI plates from highcom and likely a small SAPI cut PC from First Spear.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I recommend looking over the offerings from AT Armor as well.  

Buy once, cry once with armor, especially if you are wanting to save weight.  Highcom makes good plates, but from what I've read they aren't on the lightweight end of ceramics.  If you can find a retail store that has quality PCs, it is worth it to go and try them on.  Wearing armor is not what I would call fun, but a PC that doesn't fit you right will make you miserable and unlikely to train in it or wear it when you need it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Why do you need Level IV plates? Are you expecting to be under fire from 30 cal armor piercing rounds? Otherwise a 3+ or "3++" might suit you better.  Level IV is a NIJ standard to take a SINGLE hit of .30 AP. Level 3+ is a rating for multiple hits of 5.56. For a civilian in the US, that seems much more likely. Plate manufacturers also have a plate they call "3++" which stops regular 5.56 (M193) but also can stop M855 which is considered a light AP round.  Note that the reason the 3++ is in quite marks is because that is not an official rating from NIJ.  The ratings are EXTREMELY specific and a higher rating does NOT necessarily mean that they are better or stronger. They are all threat-specific and you need to understand the ratings to make an informed purchase choice.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why do you need Level IV plates? Are you expecting to be under fire from 30 cal armor piercing rounds? Otherwise a 3+ or "3++" might suit you better.  Level IV is a NIJ standard to take a SINGLE hit of .30 AP. Level 3+ is a rating for multiple hits of 5.56. For a civilian in the US, that seems much more likely. Plate manufacturers also have a plate they call "3++" which stops regular 5.56 (M193) but also can stop M855 which is considered a light AP round.  Note that the reason the 3++ is in quite marks is because that is not an official rating from NIJ.  The ratings are EXTREMELY specific and a higher rating does NOT necessarily mean that they are better or stronger. They are all threat-specific and you need to understand the ratings to make an informed purchase choice.
View Quote

3+ isn't a rating from NIJ either, and M855 is not an AP round.

There are NIJ Level 3 plates (a few) that will fail to stop M855.  There are also NIJ Level 3 plates (a few) that will fail to stop M193 from long barrels at close range; both are dependent on plate materials and construction.  That's because M855 and M193 aren't any part of the NIJ standards.  Seperately, there are plates certified to both Levels 3 and 4, and there are plates (like my Hescos) that are NIJ certified Level 4, with an independent lab confirming Special Threat profiles of M855, M193, 7.62x54r, 7.62x51 NATO (Level 3 specs of 6 rounds), etc., in order to cut costs on expensive NIJ certification.

If you want to put faith in the manufacturer of your plates (who you probably only picked because they were the cheapest meeting your needs), then do what you want.

If you want to have confidence that your armor will keep you around long enough to defend you and yours, then honestly assess your needs.  Fill them with proper, NIJ Certified armor.

If you don't want faith or confidence, you're faster and stronger without armor.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take a look at shellbacktactical.com and their plate and carrier combos. The banshee is a nice option with their level iv plates for about 350.00 total.
View Quote

Dont do this. It's a 10x12 sized carrier. You need a carrier sized to a small SAPI. Beware bad advice from people that don't know any better.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't say he doesn't know what he is talking about, but I know a banshee will not fit 8x10 plates good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
What do you guys suggest for me?

Im between 5'8" and 5'9" and weigh about 160-165. Wear a medium shirt.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
5'4" and 145lb here and i went with the JPC with small sapi plates from highcom, fits great for me. not much fat on me though so if you have a beer belly or something it might not work in that size.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What do you guys suggest for me?

Im between 5'8" and 5'9" and weigh about 160-165. Wear a medium shirt.
View Quote

Probably a size medium plate.

Cut out some cardboard tot he dimensions of the plate and hold up to your chest.

Should be level with the top of your sternum, cover both nipples and be able to sit down without it touching your thighs and being pushed up.

Common mistakes are buying plates too large and wearing them too low on your chest.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Probably a size medium plate.

Cut out some cardboard tot he dimensions of the plate and hold up to your chest.

Should be level with the top of your sternum, cover both nipples and be able to sit down without it touching your thighs and being pushed up.

Common mistakes are buying plates too large and wearing them too low on your chest.
View Quote

Thanks for that info.
What are the angles at for SAPI?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I am about your size and use Small Esapi plates in the Mayflower APC. Fits great
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Rather than start a new thread thught maybe I could get some feedback here. Looking for SHTF setup. I bought a Banshee bc someone recommended it. I've read through these threads for days and still can't really figure out exactly what I need. I know the plate carrier is small and sometimes worn over soft armor but damn. I'm 6'1" 210 and it starts below my sternum and stops above my navel. I'm sure it will protect the good bits but I feel exposed. Maybe it's enough. Maybe a modular tactical vest would work better but I have no clue what to look at going down that path. I'm not going to ruck it for ten miles, this is if things get sideways and I need to protect the homestead long enough to get to point B. SO I'd like to be able to maintain some agility, probably wear it in the truck, weight isn't the biggest concern. Not sure if i should stick with what I have and run something like Haley's rig over it, it seems like mags would be awkward to get to sitting slightly lower than mid chest.
Second question is plates. I don't mind spending $$ for ceramic and I sure don't plan on getting hit multiple times but if it is a EOFTWAWKI situation steel may be the way to go, if something catastrophic were to happen to the ceramic plates may be SOL. Not sure how the AR500 plates get an NIJ rating though, if they're bent or formed with heat they'd have to be quenched and tempered again to get back to the original hardness. Some ballistic plate i know of that isn't quite as hard but gets a level III rating at 3/16, IIIA at 1/4". From what I understand spalling shouldn't be an issue because it's not as brittle but would probably do something like some of the guys here have done, either layering kevlar or building up some bed liner.
SO I've looked at everything to possibly take the place of the Shellback. PIG, Crye, LBT, eagle, on and on. Apples and oranges but trying to find the right tool for the job. Hopefully something with a little more coverage, stop up to 7.62 and handgun rounds, great if IFAK and mags could be carried without having to wear a belt, or something slick with a chest rig over it.
Sorry for that ramble but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to put this to bed, been dicking with it far too long and ready to check this off the list and move on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#23]
"I'm 6'1" 210 and it starts below my sternum and stops above my navel. "

You must have the longest torso ever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#24]
That's pretty funny. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's pretty funny. Thanks for the help.
View Quote

I suppose I could have been more helpful.

Can you post a pic of how you wear it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the offer. I took the cummerbund out so I could get a better feel adjusting the shoulders first. I don't know, I guess i thought it would be slightly larger. Top of the sternum was me misspeaking. I'm just trying to find the best setup for the mission and it's all new. I feel like I've read everything i could and there's a wealth of information here, just can't figure out what would best suit my needs. Not the best picture but best i could get, hopefully it will work. Thanks again for any input, I'm ready to put this project to bed and move on.

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Yea, the bottom of your sternum is right in the middle of the vest. Anyways. It looks like if you raised it up an inch or 2 it should be perfect.

That's just how plates fit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#28]
In your opinion is this enough coverage for someone my size. I'm sure it's going to protect the good stuff but wondering if maybe I should look at another PC or setup with the medium or large SAPI plate? I don't think I'd be in danger of sticking it in my windpipe of not being able to bend over but I really don't know. I don't need to carry a full load out. A few mags, maybe IFAK at 5 o'clock, sidearm and it's mags on my belt. I thought I had it figured out until I started reading about battle belts, people wearing chest rigs over plate carriers or PC's over soft armor vests, and a whole pile of new information that just sent me back down the rabbit hole. I'm not trying to build a piano here but before I invest in armor I'd like to feel like I at least got the right vest for my size/build and particular needs. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I am right about your size and weight and run the mayflower apc s/m with small cummerbund. I use Small Esapi plates and small Level III-A backers. I had the banshee for awhile and it just felt a little bulky and I didn't care for the bulk of the shoulder straps. I have since taken off the patches and the triple esstac shorty pouches and use the mayflower swift clip placard.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks. Hard to see in a picture but yours looks like it gives a little more coverage, my nipples are right on the edge of mine and almost peeking out.
Iran back through the thread and read the advice about cutting out cardboard templates, I'm going to do that next. I need to check the dimensions of the esapi plates, that's one for some reason I'd left out of the equation. Maybe I'm overthinking it or too OCD, and I realize that it's not supposed to cover me like a flak jacket but this PC just seems like I've got too much of my guts exposed, especially if I raise it to wear I see it's supposed to be. I come up an inch or two and I think I'll have 2"'between the bottom of the front plate and belly button. Anyway - I'll play with some cardboard, thanks for the help, I think the one pictured is going to end up on another section of the forum. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Part of your issue appears to be a knowledge of anatomy and understanding what exactly is supposed to be protected by plates.  Your guts aren't going to be covered.  That's normal.  The heart, lungs, spine, aorta, vena cava; these are the major structures to protect.

Also, plates aren't intended to have maximal coverage.  They are intended to be a balance between protection and mobility.  There will always be something uncovered, but it is traded for mobility and weight.

ETA:  start here:  

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks. Hard to see in a picture but yours looks like it gives a little more coverage, my nipples are right on the edge of mine and almost peeking out.
Iran back through the thread and read the advice about cutting out cardboard templates, I'm going to do that next. I need to check the dimensions of the esapi plates, that's one for some reason I'd left out of the equation. Maybe I'm overthinking it or too OCD, and I realize that it's not supposed to cover me like a flak jacket but this PC just seems like I've got too much of my guts exposed, especially if I raise it to wear I see it's supposed to be. I come up an inch or two and I think I'll have 2"'between the bottom of the front plate and belly button. Anyway - I'll play with some cardboard, thanks for the help, I think the one pictured is going to end up on another section of the forum. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Part of your issue appears to be a knowledge of anatomy and understanding what exactly is supposed to be protected by plates.  Your guts aren't going to be covered.  That's normal.  The heart, lungs, spine, aorta, vena cava; these are the major structures to protect.

Also, plates aren't intended to have maximal coverage.  They are intended to be a balance between protection and mobility.  There will always be something uncovered, but it is traded for mobility and weight.

ETA:  start here:  http://cdn3.volusion.com/spavx.zzcjr/v/vspfiles/photos/CDR-ODG2-8.jpg?1425038797

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/thorax_posterior.jpg
View Quote

And thank you for your help. I guess the poor attempt at humor when speaking about my "guts" was lost in translation somewhere between Louisiana and Oregon. I'm fairly familiar with anatomy, I spent enough time in school even for a coonass, my wife's a pyhysician and although I tune out 99% of what she says I've picked up a little here and there and I've seen some of my "guts" laid out in front of me. My op was a ramble so sorry, I do think somewhere in there was a clear understanding of where my vitals begin and end. So I realize that they're supposed to be small and there's probably a tendency for people to think that they need to have more coverage, I'm sure that's a common thread, but like I said I feel that I'm borderline because of my height and being broad chested. I see now exactly where it should ride, a little higher than I thought, so if the pc is raised to my clavicle it SEEMS that I'm leaving parts of my liver, spleen, kidneys exposed, more than what's covered in your illustration.  Maybe not enough to worry about. And sorry for jumping in on the OP's thread, just seemed like a good place to get some clarification where everyone was already gathered. I'm looking back at the photos above, my pic should cover more area with 10x12 plates than ATX's if I'm reading right and he's carrying small SAPI's. The picture seems to tell a different story. Thanks again for all of the help. I'll go back to sifting through older posts.
ATX, thanks for the heads up on the Mayflower v Shellback and the photo, that was one that I looked at, I think that I like the snap in placard.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Correct. I have a 36" chest as well. The small esapi plates are 8.75x11.75 which fits me spot on and fits nice in the apc. I ran 10x12 plates for awhile then realized they were just to big for me and more weight. The APC is by far way more comfortable and a far better setup than the banshee having owned both. IMO
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Are the tips of your nipped behind the hard armor if the plate, not a soft edge? If so, then it is wide enough.

Can you shoulder a rifle and shoot pistol in Iso without interference?  If so it's not too wide.

Is the top of plate even with to one inch below the top of your sternal notch? If so it's at the right height.

Can you both do a sit up and lift your hands overhead while looking down and not choke yourself? If so the plate is not too long.

10x12 is shorter than SAPI Large by an inch, give or take, but close in width.

I wear SAPI Large and it's almost too big. I should be 6'2" and 210 to 220, but I'm currently a fat 230, from too much desk time and not enough time in the gym.

It is common for people to confuse "coverage" with excess vest material or molle that is not giving ballistic protection. Plate carriers do not give you "coverage" the armor does. Whether or not it "looks" like better coverage is not important. Trim plate carriers always look like coverage is light.

The pictured black Banshee is worn too low. I'd expect the rear is even worse. It should sit higher than the front, even after the front is raised 2" or so. It looks like you need a SAPI large (and thus, a plate carrier fitted for a SAPI plate i.e. not a Banshee). That 10x12 Banshee on the guy with a 36" chest is great. I have a 44" chest. A 10x12 is too narrow and too short for me. I sometimes wish it was a 1/4" shorter though. An XL SAPI fits my LT great. He is 6'7" and 250 pounds.

The only people who have plates that cover the lower abdomen are really short guys with plates too long for their torso.

Put some pistol mags on the front of your beltline and try to bend forward with your plate carrier on. You should still be able to bend over. You can't as worn in the photo. Bottom of plate will crash into top of pistol mags.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are the tips of your nipped behind the hard armor if the plate, not a soft edge? If so, then it is wide enough.No, and this was part of my concern, the carrier itself is basically intersecting them so plates will be even a little more narrow, that was part of my concern. Thanks.

Can you shoulder a rifle and shoot pistol in Iso without interference?  If so it's not too wide.

Is the top of plate even with to one inch below the top of your sternal notch? If so it's at the right height.

Can you both do a sit up and lift your hands overhead while looking down and not choke yourself? If so the plate is not too long.

I wear SAPI Large and it's almost too big. I should be 6'2" and 210 to 220, but I'm currently a fat 230, from too much desk time and not enough time in the gym.I'm going to try to find some SAPI medium plates or cut templates and see, maybe this is the way to go for my build.

It is common for people to confuse "coverage" with excess vest material or molle that is not giving ballistic protection. Plate carriers do not give you "coverage" the armor does. Whether or not it "looks" like better coverage is not important. Trim plate carriers always look like coverage is light.Got it.

The pictured black Banshee is worn too low. I'd expect the rear is even worse. It should sit higher than the front, even after the front is raised 2" or so. It looks like you need a SAPI large (and thus, a plate carrier fitted for a SAPI plate i.e. not a Banshee). That 10x12 Banshee on the guy with a 36" chest is great. I have a 44" chest. A 10x12 is too narrow and too short for me. I sometimes wish it was a 1/4" shorter though. An XL SAPI fits my LT great. He is 6'7" and 250 pounds. I saw that after reading two of the posts above, meaning raising it would leave seem to me to make it really short. No way I'm in danger of not being able to bend over with this vest for any reason. Right now if i raised it I'm guessing it would bottom out near the top of second to last rib, and with my lack of anatomy knowledge I don't know what number that rib is. But a decent bit higher than the bottom of my rib cage.

The only people who have plates that cover the lower abdomen are really short guys with plates too long for their torso.

Put some pistol mags on the front of your beltline and try to bend forward with your plate carrier on. You should still be able to bend over. You can't as worn in the photo. Bottom of plate will crash into top of pistol mags.
View Quote

Thanks for some really helpful information. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are the tips of your nipped behind the hard armor if the plate, not a soft edge? If so, then it is wide enough.No, and this was part of my concern, the carrier itself is basically intersecting them so plates will be even a little more narrow, that was part of my concern. Thanks.

I wear SAPI Large and it's almost too big. I should be 6'2" and 210 to 220, but I'm currently a fat 230, from too much desk time and not enough time in the gym.I'm going to try to find some SAPI medium plates or cut templates and see, maybe this is the way to go for my build.

It is common for people to confuse "coverage" with excess vest material or molle that is not giving ballistic protection. Plate carriers do not give you "coverage" the armor does. Whether or not it "looks" like better coverage is not important. Trim plate carriers always look like coverage is light.Got it.

The pictured black Banshee is worn too low. I'd expect the rear is even worse. It should sit higher than the front, even after the front is raised 2" or so. It looks like you need a SAPI large (and thus, a plate carrier fitted for a SAPI plate i.e. not a Banshee). That 10x12 Banshee on the guy with a 36" chest is great. I have a 44" chest. A 10x12 is too narrow and too short for me. I sometimes wish it was a 1/4" shorter though. An XL SAPI fits my LT great. He is 6'7" and 250 pounds. I saw that after reading two of the posts above, meaning raising it would leave seem to me to make it really short. No way I'm in danger of not being able to bend over with this vest for any reason. Right now if i raised it I'm guessing it would bottom out near the top of second to last rib, and with my lack of anatomy knowledge I don't know what number that rib is. But a decent bit higher than the bottom of my rib cage.

View Quote

Thanks for some really helpful information. Much appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top