Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2016 2:52:14 PM EDT
Please tell me about this technology: Lightweight Silicon Carbide Based Hard Armor Plate
Looking at the high cost HighCom 4SSS2 plates and I'd like to know a little more.

Is there any trade to shave pounds off here other than price?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
AR500 is also advertising a similar product. I too would be interested into the validity of this product.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
SiC is what the original dragon skin armor's discs were made of.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SiC is what the original dragon skin armor's discs were made of.
View Quote

All 50lbs of it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
i think 10 lbs was the glue that melted off in the sun...
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
RMA defense uses this in their light weight level IV plates. Would love to know more about this material since the plates only weigh 4.4 lbs each.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lighter weight is going to cost more.  Al2O2 tiles run about $40 from the manufactures, as a component.  SiC costs much more and is reflected in price of final plate.  Al2O2, then Sic, then boron carbide in terms of price.  I don't know any draw back of using the lighter tile.  

CHRIS

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lighter weight is going to cost more.  Al2O2 tiles run about $40 from the manufactures, as a component.  SiC costs much more and is reflected in price of final plate.  Al2O2, then Sic, then boron carbide in terms of price.  I don't know any draw back of using the lighter tile.  

CHRIS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

I might spend $2K on a set of super light weight lvl 4 plates, but Highcom wants nearly 1900 each plate
And being that I'm not in the industry of getting shot at I'm having a tough time justifying the price. Add to that an expiration date and it just doesn't quite make sense. I was really hoping for a sweet black friday discount, but it didn't happen. For a Sapi L plate the difference is 10 lb ceramic vs 7 lb for silicon carbide. 6 lb weight savings for a set is substantial if I ever wear it for a class, or if SHTF.

For the most part my set is going to be in my nightstand next to my fast access pistol box.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I might spend $2K on a set of super light weight lvl 4 plates, but Highcom wants nearly 1900 each plate
And being that I'm not in the industry of getting shot at I'm having a tough time justifying the price. Add to that an expiration date and it just doesn't quite make sense. I was really hoping for a sweet black friday discount, but it didn't happen. For a Sapi L plate the difference is 10 lb ceramic vs 7 lb for silicon carbide. 6 lb weight savings for a set is substantial if I ever wear it for a class, or if SHTF.

For the most part my set is going to be in my nightstand next to my fast access pistol box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

Why not just buy an ESAPI? Even with the required soft armor backer it's probably still lighter that the lightest highcom plate and it won't cost you $1900 a plate
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why not just buy an ESAPI? Even with the required soft armor backer it's probably still lighter that the lightest highcom plate and it won't cost you $1900 a plate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

If ESAPI was so good why does everyone here want lvl 4? This is my first set, I don't know. I ordered a plate carrier and it hasn't shown up yet.

I'm reading that ESAPI is superior to SAPI, but I thought SAPI was just a size profile since they're lvl 4 or 4. It looks like ESAPI doesn't use the same testing LVL 4 criteria.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
my ESAPI plates in AFG right now will stop 30 cal AP. I'd be comfortable purchasing them if i was a civilian...
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty sure that ESAPI doesn't "meet" Level IV criteria only because it uses a different criteria.  I think it stops all level IV threats, but is rated for multi hits.  It would actually be a tougher/better standard than level IV.

From BulletProof me, about 2/3 down page:

Similar to NIJ Level IV

The E-SAPI test is very similar to the NIJ Level IV test, but just a little bit tougher. The mil-spec calls for the plate - with an Interceptor vest supporting - to stop one round of .3006 AP, just like Level IV.

But it must also stop a second round, 60% of the time (not 100% of the time - too much of a weight penalty).

ETA: the reason people on here "want level IV" is because it is better than III and we (I) can't afford true ESAPI plates.  I'd prefer ESAPI, but for the price difference IV is plenty good for my needs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
my ESAPI plates in AFG right now will stop 30 cal AP. I'd be comfortable purchasing them if i was a civilian...
View Quote

I looks like ESAPI plates may be cheaper than lvl 4 lightweight standalone, and lighter too.
Where do I get ESAPI L plates?
Is bulletproof me quality stuff? Or is it old stock used/refurbed?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I looks like ESAPI plates may be cheaper than lvl 4 lightweight standalone, and lighter too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Midwest Venture FM4 plates are both ESAPI and Level IV standard @ 5.5 lbs, and a set runs about $1900.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAPI PLATES

Not esapi but they are lighter
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Midwest Venture FM4 plates are both ESAPI and Level IV standard @ 5.5 lbs, and a set runs about $1900.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I want that highcomm set, those midwest are now my first pick.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bulletproof me stuff is good quality, unissued gear from what i've seen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does midwest have any unadvertised ARF Xmas coupon codes or black friday deals?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does midwest have any unadvertised ARF Xmas coupon codes or black friday deals?
View Quote

Try 10mm
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Try 10mm
View Quote

Thanks! Order is in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top