Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2016 8:55:20 AM EDT

I've been on a quest, for whatever reason, to collect non US, non Pixelated camo patterns for several years now.

Just a heads up on Finn M05 patter.

Varaustleka has them.  Not surplus, but an in house version.

Noting to commend the pattern in comparison to any other similar pattern in use, other than if you were looking to add Finland to your collection, it's available.

Also, they have Swedish M90 pattern surplus, which can be difficult to find.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I love that pattern. I picked up a couple yards of M05 cordura from them for some personal projects.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
ugh, my wallet hates you right now
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure quite how seriously to take this site.....

Hahaha

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone ever ordered from them before?  I was looking at a smock on their, but I am weary since they are overseas.  How long would shipping be from the Netherlands anyway?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone ever ordered from them before?  I was looking at a smock on their, but I am weary since they are overseas.  How long would shipping be from the Netherlands anyway?
View Quote

Mine was around 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hahaha

View Quote

Tha site is awesome. Their grasp of English idiom is fantastic.
Find and read their descriptions of East German or Bulgarian stuff. It's laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Those snow camo smocks look badass as well. Shame it's all poly cotton, I'd love some cordura in that...
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
That pattern is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hahaha

View Quote

Omfg!!! My wife has the barfiest look on her face right now!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You should see their listing for the JNA Genocide Canteen.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Finnish rations

Bullet Meal makes one proud to be Finnish, along with the Winter War, sauna and our high level of domestic violence. Because these are made in the EU, Bullet Meal products are legal foodstuff anywhere in Europe - unlike American products, most of which can't be imported into the EU. Furthermore, Finland is not Poland, so manufacturing quality and hygiene is very high.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've ordered from them a couple times before. No worries. Faster shipping than most US-based companies.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
These guys appear to have high levels of awesome.

I might have to buy something from them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You should see their listing for the JNA Genocide Canteen.
View Quote

LMAO.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Foreign people might wonder why the excellent delicacy is called ham cock and, well, it's a wonder for us too, since this kind of food originally comes from Savo, a remote location in the middle of Finland known for inbreeding and incapacity to form sentences that mean anything. The classic fish cock, in Savo, means food and flying fish cock a train. We know, it's weird.  

Yum.....
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've ordered from them a couple times before. No worries. Faster shipping than most US-based companies.
View Quote

This. No worries.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]
You people are costing me money.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Came today.  My only beef so far is that they are single stitched in a lot of seams.

ETA: 12/18, upon further review, they're not.  They just look different than how I'm used to seeing things stitched.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hahaha
View Quote

That Norwegian Mesh Undershirt design goes back to pre-WWII, keeps wearer cool in summer, and traps air pockets warmed by body heat in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been in their store in Helsinki many times.

Varusteleka decided to part with European tradition and attempt the radical in business-customer relationships:

They dared to have the vision to engage in customer friendliness, quick responsiveness, and positive interaction with people.

It's a great business, one of the better surplus and gear stores I've ever seen on this planet, and I'm a surplus store stalker since childhood.

I ordered a bunch of M05 material maybe 8 days ago, so should be seeing it soon.

I'll be making some packs, pouches, and IFAKs, as well as a micro winter chest rig in the digital snow pattern.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I ordered a bunch of M05 material maybe 8 days ago, so should be seeing it soon.

I'll be making some packs, pouches, and IFAKs, as well as a micro winter chest rig in the digital snow pattern.
View Quote

It may take awhile to get through Customs at JFK this time of year. They shipped my Jerven Hunter bag on 11/24, it arrived in the US the next day, and it didn't get out of JFK until yesterday. The USPS tried delivery today but a signature was required and nobody was home, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It may take awhile to get through Customs at JFK this time of year. They shipped my Jerven Hunter bag on 11/24, it arrived in the US the next day, and it didn't get out of JFK until yesterday. The USPS tried delivery today but a signature was required and nobody was home, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
View Quote

I'll second this. I placed an order from them on Nov.14th, it hit tracking in NYC on Dec 6, didn't get thru Customs until Dec. 8th, then they sent it to Dallas TX for some reason and it didn't leave there until the 12th, then it finally made it to eastern MT yesterday. I might get it by Sat.  EDIT - Got the package today.

IMO no fault of Varusteleka since they processed the order quickly, but maybe its because of the time of the year.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#22]
They have some nice stuff so I'll likely order again this coming spring.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I got this Russian copy set from Varusteleka a few years ago.

It's nylon, so it condenses horribly inside the uniform, and has a blue hue to it contrasted with the snow.

The material the FDF uses is breathable, much better, but a little heavier.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#25]
With regard to sizing, they said the following:

These are sized according to the official Finnish military system, the first digit of the three numbers stands for user height (6: 160-170 cm, 7: 170-180 cm, 8 180-190 cm, 9 190-200 cm) and the following two are the width (waist) according to the European system. The waist fit is quite loose, this is the way the Finnish military originally designed the fit. The idea is that the in-built adjustable elastic band is always used to tighten the waist down for a custom fit.

and

The fabric shrinks a bit in the first wash, this has been taken into account in the sizing. Your brand new pants will thus be a tiny bit bigger and longer than they "actually are". The military has specced these for wash in 90 degrees celcius (near boiling) which usually takes off a few centimeters of length and waist circumference.

When they came, they were big to the point oversized.  I was actually concerned that they may have sent the wrong size.  I double checked, and they sent the size I ordered.

I washed them, twice, on the highest heat setting on my washing machine: "sanitize" wash/hot rinse.  I picked extra wash/rinse so it put them through the cycle twice each time I ran the load.  Thereafter, I then dried them, both times, for 1 hour 15 minutes on "high" temp.

They did shrink, quite a bit and now, more or less, fit pretty close to a Medium Regular BDU trouser.  If you've worn them both (BDU and ACU) I specifically say BDU and not ACU trouser, because I have always found the BDU to be more spacious and comfortable in the crotch.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok 1P... let's hear a review...

What's your overall impression?  I know at least one person whose credit card is already warming up with the website bookmarked...
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ok 1P... let's hear a review...

What's your overall impression?  I know at least one person whose credit card is already warming up with the website bookmarked...
View Quote

I have to reel back what i said about single stitching.  In some areas, you see a single thread-line on the exterior, but on the internal side, there is double stitching.  I'm used to seeing double stitch lines on military field trousers, as this is what you normally get with US made gear.

I checked the stitching on the belt loops, it's zig-zag'd, which i missed when i first gave it a once over.

I'll post pics.

I can't fairly qualitatively review yet because I haven't subjected them to any "use".  What I'll say is that they are light (not rip stop though) without being flimsy, have a fitment/cut that works for me.  They appear to be well made and are NIR compliant.

Not cheap, but not terribly expensive for European fare.

Based on the above, do I recommend getting if you're on the fence?  Yes.

Am I prepared to vouch at this point?  Not yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's an example of what M05 summer pattern (it fell on a Tuesday this year) looks like next to Multicam and British DPM in the European forest:

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hahaha
View Quote

That mesh shirt would be awesome under a plate carrier out here in the desert on a 100+ degree day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally got my fabric in.  I think it sat in customs at JFK for a month.  I tracked it in Finland, as Varusteleka shipped it immediately.

Made some IFAKs that will be going to guys in FDF and my boys.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Meh, I ordered some shit because I just couldn't help myself.

It made it to the US and got RTS for some reason. They're re-shipping now.  The Finns sent me a "WTF, I don't know let's try this again, we're sorry for the inconvenience" letter.

No stuff yet, but good customer service...
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I ordered a jacket & it took exactly a month to get here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I just got my latest order. 3 weeks delivery time, but Varusteleka says the hold-ups are occurring in NYC where the shipments come in. The packages have to get through Customs before the USPS gets them for further shipment here. They indicated shipments get to the states within 3-5 days. Once the USPS got my order it made it to me in 4 days. Last summer I got an order in 2 weeks so things have slowed down a lot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump. I like my finncamo.

It's a lot ... browner... than it looks in pics.

I think it's pretty bad ass, and my preliminary evaluation of the construction seems pretty solid. After the SNAFU with the USPS, they priority-reshipped.  Note: big assed mitten-friendly (i guess) zippers.

Thumbs up for customer service.

Makes me want to order more stuff.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#35]
FYI, when you get the shipping number from Varusteleka it not only works on posti.fi, it also works on usps.com. When it says on posti.fi that it's on the way to the destination country, that means it was put on a plane and sent to the US, where it'll sit in a warehouse in JFK until it clears Customs. Meanwhile, it'll still show "origin post office preparing shipment" or something like that on usps.com, until it clears Customs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top