Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2016 11:11:41 PM EDT
Who makes some good gun type watch caps? My bald head gets cold and I need some new ones. I don't like the stocking cap type. I had a really awesome fallen patriots one but I can't find it. Awesome cap and awesome organization. Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazon. Fleece beanie. $5
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a beanie nut and have lots. I have a surplus FDE USMC cheapo beanie I use under an oversized Viper multicam cover, and it works due to thinness and breathability with the cap, but kind of sucks alone.

I have an similar cheap beanie in black for cold weather and LE duty use. I get my beanies large enough to cover the tops of my ears. The cheap single layer unlined fleece is almost totally sound transparent.

I have a thin Smartwool beanie for a thin in helmet i sulator that breathes or as a sleeping beanie, which I like because I can pull it over my eyes in a sleeping bag. Not warm enough alone under 45 degrees though.

I have a Outdoor Research Gore Wind stopper beanie, which is the best in colder weather but is not very breathable (no hiking or you drown in swest) and the membrane blocks some sound. Its the best in cold and wind, but has largely been relegated to sleeping in cold weather or use around camp where situational awareness is not important.

I think cheap, single layer fleece is the best answer for wind under 10 mph and temps over 32. With colder weather and high wind you need a wind barrier and double thick fleece over your ear tops. Just make sure it does not cover your ear hole or it will seriously cut your SA.

Those are my thoughts.

Mountain hardware used to have a really great multicam beanie but it totally covers your ears and blocks sound.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Got an Outdoor Research one I really like. I mean, it's not gun related but it keep my head warm...
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
OR Windstopper here.  It's a godsend in the winter time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer "headsock".
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
gucci tactical gear from TAD
Warden Watch Cap
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Modern Musket lined beanie that I only wear when it gets really cold out.  It's almost too warn for me to wear unless it gets down right frigid.  I also have a Grunt Style fleece one that I wear in "cool" weather.  The MM one seems to be very, very well made.  The GS one has popped a couple of stitches, but not in places that have started to unravel as of yet.  GS has a guarantee on their t-shirts, but I don't know if they would replace the cap if it does fail.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Fur-Midweight-Multi-Season-Chelonia/dp/B009ATVVBY/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1479523888&sr=1-9&keywords=turtle+fur

Turtle Fur, 12 bucks. Fits me the best out of all the ones I've tried.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Black Rock Gear HadronS

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Fur-Midweight-Multi-Season-Chelonia/dp/B009ATVVBY/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1479523888&sr=1-9&keywords=turtle+fur

View Quote

+1. Turtle Fur beanies are super warm and very soft. I wear one under my Black Rock Gear beanie and my head feels like an oven.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#11]
the army issued black fleece cap is polartec and about 12 bucks. hard to beat. once it starts pilling i just buy a new one. usually go through 1 per season
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys I'll check them out
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what I use in below zero weather here.  It keeps my head really warm and dry. I have 3 of them now haha.

You can find a better price if you search.

linky
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Black Rock Gear HadronS

+1. Turtle Fur beanies are super warm and very soft. I wear one under my Black Rock Gear beanie and my head feels like an oven.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Black Rock Gear HadronS

Quoted:

Holy shit....that looks like a sleeping bag for your head.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OR Windstopper here.  It's a godsend in the winter time.
View Quote

Fuck yea. I have the larue following embroidered one.

Mountain hardware has a nice multicam one. Edit. Apparently this was a skd exclusive and is now discontinued
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Outdoor Research, Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardwear, etc. hit your local REI.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I just use the Condor ones, $5.00 and they are long enough to completely cover the ears.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a fan of primaloft insulation. I recently bought an Under Armour Ridge Reaper beanie, it's a wool/primaloft blend. Comes in a dark tan/brown color only, but it is very warm. I shave my head, and am right next to one of those big ponds you see on the Michigan map
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top