Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 1:17:29 PM EDT

So I'm a plain ol' civilian, learning about things tactical. Partly for the history aspect, partly for prepping. I have read about the 1st/2nd/3rd line approach to field gear. The division between 2nd and 3rd line gear makes perfect sense, at least in a WWII context; approach march, then maneuver to contact.

But I'm skeptical about the division between 1st and 2nd line gear, at least for a field-only context. Is it common, or even heard of, for light infantry, guerrillas/partisans/whatever, to dump their 2nd line gear? I can see soldiers in a suburban/urban situation dropping their 2nd line gear at the door when visiting locals, but out in the wilderness, does this ever really happen?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there is a famous story of some SEALs ditching thier "2nd line" gear in Grenada when they swam away from pursuers. As far as I know you are correct though. The division between 2nd and 3rd line is more commonly used than 1st and 2nd. If your down to 1st line gear then your situation has gotten pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Think about this:  as a civilian, your second line gear is probably for supporting a rifle and other fighting activities.  In the guerrilla example that you gave, by dropping or caching your overt fighting gear, you still can have your short-term survival, navigation, gear on your person.  This allows you to escape and evade, and to disappear back into a civilian population:  e.g., the gray man concept.

The point, both tactically and organizationally, is to be able to scale your gear as necessary.  Mission drives the gear train.  Less gear means lighter, faster, and stronger, so long as you haven't compromised any mission-essential equipment.

First, what are your essential tasks?  Second, what additional capabilities can you afford (money, time, weight, size, visibility)?  Finally, how can your gear be configured to meet those needs as efficiently as possible?  Many of us need to spend more time on the first two questions before dwelling on the third, but as gear guys, that's not as much fun.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The way it was taught to me was ditching 2nd line gear was only for situations where the weight of the gear was enough of a detriment to justify the lose of that gear. After more than 5 years of being deployed, I never had to dump my gear. We did however, drop our armor to show our confidence in a warlords security. It's reassuring to know you have frags, 40mm and mags on your belt just in case.

That being said, I prefer to have a battle belt, plate carrier and chest rig because it offers the most options and versatility. To this day I keep a battle belt next to my bed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It does happen.

We dropped our bags before moving on objectives or poking around at night. The patrol base/rp concept only works if you have enough people with you to be able to leave a security element with the shit you left.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Think about this:  as a civilian, your second line gear is probably for supporting a rifle and other fighting activities.  In the guerrilla example that you gave, by dropping or caching your overt fighting gear, you still can have your short-term survival, navigation, gear on your person.  This allows you to escape and evade, and to disappear back into a civilian population:  e.g., the gray man concept.
View Quote

That kind of argues for 1st-line gear being in some sort of man-purse rather than battle belt or whatever.

Which has some overlap with the get-home bag for urban-suburban worker bees.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
As above, the bailout bag concept is what I use as a 1st line if I'm not dressing the part. It still accomplishes everything. It's not as fast but if I have a ccw or a rifle, it gives me accessible reloads, and a way to be helpful, regardless of what I'm wearing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#7]
The way I apply the concept of a 1st line and a 2nd line is this: My first line is my CCW gear, which is for reacting to situations. 2nd line is what I grab for responding to situations. I think reacting vs responding is more accurate than defensive vs offensive in my civilian world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top