Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2016 11:08:52 AM EDT
..and tell us your opinion..please
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
or not..ya know...whatever
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine. Pretty good kit. I haven't spent a lot of time wearing it though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the carrier, hate the cummerbund.  I might be doing something wrong, but it keeps bunching up on me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, alrighty then....thank you gentlemen. Appreciate the feed back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I like mine so far.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Bunches up on me as well. Over all quality i would say ok at best.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have some pics of how to lace/ assemble the cumber-bun?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have some pics of how to lace/ assemble the cumber-bun?
View Quote

Here's how mine is laced. I hear there's a pic in the instructions, but I either didn't get them or tossed them unpacking the PC

I'm not getting any bunching up.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Will any aftermarket shoulder pads go over the existing shoulder straps?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would like to know this as well. What's best option?  

Also, I know I've bought a quick release clip cummerbund retrofit kit,but for the life of me I can't find it now. Anyone have a suggestion? To hell with doing that Velcro panel every time.

Over all, it seems like a nice PC. Fit my fat ass well enough and was easy to set up. I've definitely dealt with worse (IBA I'm looking at you).
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to add the soft side inserts now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want to add the soft side inserts now.
View Quote

Failure to read...lol. Thought you meant pontoons..
I too am considering side plates as well. Couldn't swing the cost at the time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Bought a Medium, it's way too small and the cummerbund barely closes on it. I wear a 38 suit jacket so I was more then a little disappointed.

Otherwise it looks ok, quality seems good, it is a lot more floppy then my Banshee but also more breathable. Get the pontoons to go inside or get a carrier that has the mesh inside (you will thank me later).
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also, I know I've bought a quick release clip cummerbund retrofit kit,but for the life of me I can't find it now. Anyone have a suggestion? To hell with doing that Velcro panel every time.

Over all, it seems like a nice PC. Fit my fat ass well enough and was easy to set up. I've definitely dealt with worse (IBA I'm looking at you).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per an email with SKD..." All our shoulder pads we sell are compatible with the SOHPC."
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been happy with mine but haven't really gotten out with it much.

I have side plates so bunching up isn't really an issue.  6x8 horizontal plates fit in the cummerbund pockets well.

I can't remember what the sizing ranges are but I was between a medium and a large cummerbund.  I went with the large and it fits perfectly.

Donning and doffing it isn't really that bad with the velcro.  I do intend on putting a bit of paracord on the tabs to make it easier to grab though.

I didn't get mine with the group buy.  I went with a set of midwest plates.  Different cut but fit the pockets perfectly.  They are on the heavy side but I'm ok with them for the limited time I wear it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out First Spear, they have a really nice one.  I've been searching and feel this is the one to go with.  I'll be getting it before the year is out.  I like that it comes with pouches for side armor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#20]
If only multicam was in stock...I'd buy the MK2 right now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought it as part of the group buy and I'm happy with it so far. Only took a few minutes to get set up. My cumberbund bunched up a bit until I adjusted the Velcro closure that covers the laced up part in the back. If you Velcro it too tight it bunches up the bottom of the cumberbund.

I'm new to carriers and I did wonder something though.....why would the slot where you slide in the plates be on the bottom? It seems a slot on the top would be much more secure. After all, with the slot in the bottom, Velcro is basically the only thing holding an 8 pound plate from falling out of the bottom.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought it as part of the group buy and I'm happy with it so far. Only took a few minutes to get set up. My cumberbund bunched up a bit until I adjusted the Velcro closure that covers the laced up part in the back. If you Velcro it too tight it bunches up the bottom of the cumberbund.

I'm new to carriers and I did wonder something though.....why would the slot where you slide in the plates be on the bottom? It seems a slot on the top would be much more secure. After all, with the slot in the bottom, Velcro is basically the only thing holding an 8 pound plate from falling out of the bottom.

View Quote

Their supossed to be on top...you have them backwards...
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There aren't any slots on the top to slide the plates into. The only place to slide them in is through the slot in the bottom.

Give me a few and I'll post some pics

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I got the large/XL size carrier and am happy with the fit, however I was part of the group buy and the front and rear plates swim around in the carrier a bit...

Is there a good option for ballistic soft backing pads to fill the space in the carrier front and rear and to help keep the hard plates in place?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe I'm doing something wrong (quite possible).......but here is what I'm talking about with having to slide the plates in from the bottom. It just doesn't seem as secure as dropping them in from the top since the only thing holding the plate in is the Velcro adjustment flap
" />

Another view of rhe top showing non top plate pouch access
" />

And here is the view from the bottom showing the plate pouch access
" />

And showing the Velcro flap opened
" />
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got the large/XL size carrier and am happy with the fit, however I was part of the group buy and the front and rear plates swim around in the carrier a bit...

Is there a good option for ballistic soft backing pads to fill the space in the carrier front and rear and to help keep the hard plates in place?
View Quote

Good question. I was able to tighten the Velcro but they still move a bit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at some of the soft panel options they have available...just curious what the best fit/option would be for that carrier with the hard plates..
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong (quite possible).......but here is what I'm talking about with having to slide the plates in from the bottom. It just doesn't seem as secure as dropping them in from the top since the only thing holding the plate in is the Velcro adjustment flap
View Quote

I thought you were referring to the cumberbund, I'm assuming he did as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4486_zpsiboykdm4.jpg" />

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4487_zpsjcddnpm4.jpg" />

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4488_zpsqylfizp4.jpg" />

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4489_zps6psivngj.jpg" />
View Quote

My bad..lol thought you were talking about the cummberbund...lol.
Unless I'm mistaken, all PCs have the main plates install from the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4486_zpsiboykdm4.jpg" />

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4487_zpsjcddnpm4.jpg" />

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4488_zpsqylfizp4.jpg" />

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr303/bwilson2013/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4489_zps6psivngj.jpg" />

No worries. It just seems weird to me that the main plates slide in from the bottom. I'm sure there is a logical reason for it.....but if someone told me to design a carrier to hold plates, they would all slide in from the top. Just seems like less of W chance of Velcro wearing out/coming loose and a plate falling out.

Anyway, I wore it around and shot a few rounds with it on and it seems pretty comfortable to me. I don't have any frame of reference to compare it with other than a Kevlar vest I wore 20 years ago at the Police Dept. There may be other plate carriers that are more comfortable, but this will do everything I need it to

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bought a Medium, it's way too small and the cummerbund barely closes on it. I wear a 38 suit jacket so I was more then a little disappointed.

Otherwise it looks ok, quality seems good, it is a lot more floppy then my Banshee but also more breathable. Get the pontoons to go inside or get a carrier that has the mesh inside (you will thank me later).
View Quote

I too wear a 38-39R jacket, got the s/m carrier and medium cummerbund and it fits perfectly. I have plenty of adjustment available on the cummerbund should I need to wear it over multiple layers of a jackets. Kind of sounds like you have something set up incorrectly.

I previously had a BFG LMAC which also fit me well, and I actually liked it better than this due to the chin pad and breathability, but the shoulder straps and cummerbund is nicer on the SOHPC. Considering this is a SHTF item for me I'll stick with the SOHPC. I may add some Midwest soft inserts for side armor but not a priority for me. I've added BFG 10 speed double pistol mag pouch and will also be adding a 10 speed double M4 mag pouch. Excellent value on the group buy!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I sold the plates with my other sohpc.......these plates sold in this GB are good but the fitment in the carrier seriously sucks. I was disappointed in that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I also bought mine in the group buy.  I ordered the XL carrier with the intention of picking up some XL plates, probably steel level III+, for it and then later getting another carrier for the 10x12 plates.  The SOHPC would be a backup, probably stashed in the truck, and the other carrier with the level IV plates would be for SHTF.  I had hoped that the XL carrier would hold the 10x12 plates well enough until I could get the XL plates in.  It didn't work out that way because the velcro inside the plate pocket doesn't extend far enough up for the retention strap to grab it with a 10x12 plate.  And then the cash I had put away for the XL plates had to be used otherwise unexpectedly, so the whole plan got put on hold.  I was able to scratch together enough to order a different PC for the 10x12 plates (~$250 vs. ~$420 for the XL plates).  I'll have to wait a month or two to order the XL plates.

I thought about duct taping a 1" x 10" wooden dowel to the bottom edge of the 10x12 plates, the idea being that it would lower the bottom "edge" of the plate far enough for the XL pocket to be able to retain it properly.  But, the other issue I'm having with the SOHPC is the same bunching of the cummerbund that others have mentioned.  I'll play with it some more when I get up enough $$ to buy the XL plates, and decide then whether to go ahead with the original plan or just sell the SOHPC and do without the backup PC.

I don't blame Paraclete or SKD for the fact that the XL SOHPC won't retain the 10x12 plates.  I think it says outright on the web page that it won't fit the smaller plates, I was just hoping it would be close enough.  The bunching cummerbund is really the only thing I'm not happy with on the PC itself.  Otherwise it seems like a well made piece of gear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I sold the plates with my other sohpc.......these plates sold in this GB are good but the fitment in the carrier seriously sucks. I was disappointed in that.
View Quote

I've got no issues with fit, what size carrier were you using?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I also bought mine in the group buy.  I ordered the XL carrier with the intention of picking up some XL plates, probably steel level III+, for it and then later getting another carrier for the 10x12 plates.  The SOHPC would be a backup, probably stashed in the truck, and the other carrier with the level IV plates would be for SHTF.  I had hoped that the XL carrier would hold the 10x12 plates well enough until I could get the XL plates in.  It didn't work out that way because the velcro inside the plate pocket doesn't extend far enough up for the retention strap to grab it with a 10x12 plate.  And then the cash I had put away for the XL plates had to be used otherwise unexpectedly, so the whole plan got put on hold.  I was able to scratch together enough to order a different PC for the 10x12 plates (~$250 vs. ~$420 for the XL plates).  I'll have to wait a month or two to order the XL plates.

I thought about duct taping a 1" x 10" wooden dowel to the bottom edge of the 10x12 plates, the idea being that it would lower the bottom "edge" of the plate far enough for the XL pocket to be able to retain it properly.  But, the other issue I'm having with the SOHPC is the same bunching of the cummerbund that others have mentioned.  I'll play with it some more when I get up enough $$ to buy the XL plates, and decide then whether to go ahead with the original plan or just sell the SOHPC and do without the backup PC.

I don't blame Paraclete or SKD for the fact that the XL SOHPC won't retain the 10x12 plates.  I think it says outright on the web page that it won't fit the smaller plates, I was just hoping it would be close enough.  The bunching cummerbund is really the only thing I'm not happy with on the PC itself.  Otherwise it seems like a well made piece of gear.
View Quote

I've heard of guys using foam pipe insulation, which can be picked up at Home Depot/Lowes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The small/medium carrier. Plates are loose in it. Not a big deal for most people but i cant deal with plates sliding around while Im highly mobile.

Makes it worse when you start attatching things to the carrier. The guys are on the right track with a filler piece.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Not super crazy about the carrier...it's ok. Getting a little bit of bunching. I'm finding it uncomfortable on the shoulders as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got my carrier and plates.  It's my first time wearing them.  I got small/medium and there is quite a gap (two inches) from the top of the front plate to my chest.  I think the curvature of the plate is causing this gap.  Is this normal?

Another things is that I feel like it would be super easy for my chin to hit the top of the plate if I were to hit the deck real quick or any motion similar to that.  LIke I said, I've had no previous experience with plate carriers.  Happy to hear any feedback or advice about this.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just got my carrier and plates.  It's my first time wearing them.  I got small/medium and there is quite a gap (two inches) from the top of the front plate to my chest.  I think the curvature of the plate is causing this gap.  Is this normal?

Another things is that I feel like it would be super easy for my chin to hit the top of the plate if I were to hit the deck real quick or any motion similar to that.  LIke I said, I've had no previous experience with plate carriers.  Happy to hear any feedback or advice about this.

Thanks!
View Quote

Have you tried shortening the shoulder straps?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I've actually lengthened the strap because I think it was riding too high.  I lengthened it so the front plate is sitting just under my collar bone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I think that gap at the top is what it is. Single curve and all. I have the same and I would bet so does everyone else. The plates and carrier are servicable. Is there better..sure. But not at that price point.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you ordered a Large or XL size carrier then you suck at reading see quote below. Mine fit perfectly.

The S/M Plate Carrier fits the SKD ARMOR PLATE perfectly. However, if you would like to order the L/XL Plate Carrier, that is an available option. The L/XL has larger plate pockets that will accommodate larger plates and IS NOT the correct size for the SKD ARMOR PLATE.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you ordered a Large or XL size carrier then you suck at reading see quote below. Mine fit perfectly.

The S/M Plate Carrier fits the SKD ARMOR PLATE perfectly. However, if you would like to order the L/XL Plate Carrier, that is an available option. The L/XL has larger plate pockets that will accommodate larger plates and IS NOT the correct size for the SKD ARMOR PLATE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I don't know about you, but my plates don't fit "perfectly". There is dead space on either side at the top of the plate. Not a deal breaker but "perfectly" is a bit of a leap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Don't have any personal experience, but three of my friends bought them for our deployment, wore them every day for six months, and had nothing bad to say about them. Not that they were used super hard, but all three carriers made it through in great shape. I would've considered getting one too, but I brought my PIG PC with me on that trip.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Well I don't know about you, but my plates don't fit "perfectly". There is dead space on either side at the top of the plate. Not a deal breaker but "perfectly" is a bit of a leap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine have zero left to right, or up and down movement as there is no space. There is some space in the carrier behind the top of the front plate (maybe 3/4") only because there is no backwards bend in the plate, above my pecs. Dosn't seem to cause any movement nor bother me.

It seems there was some confusion in the ordering process. when ordering the carrier, everyone should have ordered the S/M because that is the size of the plates. It has nothing to do with your body fit. the cumberbun is where you were looking to fit yourself.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mine have zero left to right, or up and down movement as there is no space. There is some space in the carrier behind the top of the front plate (maybe 3/4") only because there is no backwards bend in the plate, above my pecs. Dosn't seem to cause any movement nor bother me.

It seems there was some confusion in the ordering process. when ordering the carrier, everyone should have ordered the S/M because that is the size of the plates. It has nothing to do with your body fit. the cumberbun is where you were looking to fit yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me be clearer about dead space. On the carrier I received, the plate does not fill the pocket at the top of the plate on the left and right side. As in the pocket is wider than the top of the plate. I havent noticed any movement in any direction of the plates. I have the S/M carrier. I will try to get a pic or two up later.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#47]
dupe - please delete.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Good to know. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.  First experience with armor and carrier but pretty happy with the purchase.  Thanks for the input.

Quoted:
I think that gap at the top is what it is. Single curve and all. I have the same and I would bet so does everyone else. The plates and carrier are servicable. Is there better..sure. But not at that price point.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Let me be clearer about dead space. On the carrier I received, the plate does not fill the pocket at the top of the plate on the left and right side. As in the pocket is wider than the top of the plate. I havent noticed any movement in any direction of the plates. I have the S/M carrier. I will try to get a pic or two up later.
View Quote

I believe what you're talking about the fact that these plates are swimmers cut, but the carrier pocket is shaped for SAPI plates. I noticed the same but it doesn't bother me. I had ESAPI's and they're great but the swimmers cut does offer a little more mobility and less interference shouldering a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I believe what you're talking about the fact that these plates are swimmers cut, but the carrier pocket is shaped for SAPI plates. I noticed the same but it doesn't bother me. I had ESAPI's and they're great but the swimmers cut does offer a little more mobility and less interference shouldering a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that. Thanks for comfirming.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top