Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2016 6:29:47 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the Camelbak Motherload pack and wearing it over a plate carrier with hard plates?

I'm thinking about 'upgrading' my ILBE to the Motherlode pack but would love to get some feedback on how it rides and feels with plates.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the Camelbak BFM. it's comparable.

Wearing any pack with plates sucks rocks, but if you're going to do it, either of those would probably be an ok choice. It's going to weigh you down like crazy in the back, and will tire your abs out carrying it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been carrying a motherlode almost everyday for two years now and it's one tough pack. I have carried it over my pc a few times, and like any pack over armor, it feels cumbersome but it's not too bad. It can hold quite a bit and it's tough enough for heavy loads. Pricey compared to other packs, but built better imo. It has lots of extra strapping to help get it positioned comfortably so that's more up to the wearer to decide how you want it to ride on your back. Straps are really wide and are thickly padded so it feels good even with a heavy load.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it will be slightly more comfortable than the pressure the ILBE puts on the bottom edge of the rear plate. Plus anymore I don't have the need for that large of a pack. My flatpack is a tad to small for a full 3 day load though so I'm thinking the Motherlode will fit the purpose. I placed the order for what looks like the older version. $124 on sale from Midwayusa right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a first generation Motherlode within a week of release, back in 2000, while I was deployed to Kosovo. I wore it over an IBA for the next two years; for the remainder of that deployment, for training exercises, and, while in Afghanistan; all with an LBV between the two. It wasn't the most comfortable way to wear an assault pack (with no armor or LBV), but it wasn't any more difficult or uncomfortable than wearing any other pack over an IBA and LBV.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the old 1000D Motherlode and BFM, and of the two, the Motherlode is far more comfortable over armor because you can't load it down like you can the BFM.

Both are extremely tough packs that hold a lot more than their size would indicate at first glance. I like the fact that they both have plenty of dividers and pockets to organize your gear without having to add more pouches (and more weight) to the rig.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top