Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2016 10:50:49 PM EDT
Recently got a canvas rucksack to use in the woods. It is untreated. Is there a way to treat it like the oil canvas filson uses or waxed canvas if it is already in pack form?

That sentence is confusing as shit but hopefully you all understood my question.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've retreated my filson bag and it worked great, although I doubt it's ever going to be really waterproof.  

The key for me was to get A LOT of the oil/wax stuff.  Don't bother with Filson brand cuz it's too expensive and there's way too little in those little tins.  Bought a cheaper brand tat they had locally, that looked about the same as the Filson stuff...   a wax/oil blend is what it appears to be.  I did it on a hot day to help the melting and used a hair dryer and rubber gloves and some small scraps of cloth to saturate the canvas with the melted wax/oil.  Totally saturated.  Soaked in.  Then let soak in sun for days.  Wiped off and used.  Was a bit oily for awhile but it worked great.

I don't see the brand of wax/oil I used.  Even with that it was costly cuz it takes so much.  
Look at making your own:

http://www.chadsparks.net/2015/12/old-school-and-cheap-skate-oil-finish.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I make my own using citronella candles and mink oil. Or soak it in scotchgaurd
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Otter wax makes a good product I've used on a couple jackets and canvas shoes before.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I just rubbed some surf wax into some old boots and melted it in with a hairdryer.

works pretty well for stuff laying around the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top