Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 11:28:57 PM EDT
As the title says, I decided to purchase a shell back banshee 2.0 as my first carrier. I work in law enforcement and it will be used in the field when the situation needs it, other wise my soft armor is state issued. I do believe I want ceramic plates but don't know where I should look. So I am asking for some advice as to where I should look for quality gear.
1. Ceramic plates
2. Magazine pouches
3. Ifak pouch
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also if there is something important I am missing please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_173/1570627_AR500_Armor_III__Lightweight_plate_set_w_Paxcon_Buildup__280.html

http://infidelbodyarmor.com/armor-c-1/level-iii-multicurve-lightweight-composite-in-stock-p-219

Steel or composite? Storage temps; temperature plates will be exposed to, storage handling in trunk of squad car, or at home, most ceramic plates won't handle being dropped or rough handling, weight of steel vs. ceramic or PE, ballistic ratings of the different types/materials. Sound as if you need to do some research as to your needs, wants, budget, capabilities, weight you are willing to put up with when wearing the plates and carriers, agency policy, work environment,etc., etc. Just buying a plate carrier and then asking about hard plates is putting the cart before the horse since some plate carriers won't work well with cetain types of plate styles, cuts or weights.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the PC picture thread, there's usually a lot of good info in there and a lot of different styles of pouches and gear.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Bought mine from HighComSecurity. Paid around 230 shipped with their discount code. They do require proof of US citizen ship or LEO creds...
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bought mine from HighComSecurity. Paid around 230 shipped with their discount code. They do require proof of US citizen ship or LEO creds...
View Quote

Same here.  They ship fast too.

For pouches - Tactical Tailor makes very nice ones.  You can find cheaper pouches, but TT's quality is really good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The 2.0 has some nice features that can serve you well. After plates, what do you really need to carry on duty? Two, maybe three rifle mags? extra pistol mags? First aid supplies? Are you going to be wearing in your vehicle, or mainly on foot standing guard or searching for a suspect?

The 2.0 has provision for a kangaroo mag pouch for 2x rifle mags. The cummerbund as spots for additional mags or radios. So you may not need pouches except pistol and the medical kit. There are a lot of good options on med kits. Blue Force Gear Trauma now is awesome, Mayflower/velocity's blow out kit is good for putting on the lower part of the back plate.

One piece of advice is to wear it often until you like how it sits and how you can access your equipment. Whenever I get a new piece of kit, I make it a point to wear it around the house doing all kinds of chores; cook, eat, laundry, watch TV, and even sitting on the porcelain throne. While not, an exact replica of work, you will get an idea if something is pinching, binding, or in the wrong spot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes sir sorry. I have some holes there.
I will be at a desk, getting in and out of a car, searching houses inside and out. So quite a bit of movement. Im willing to pay a decent amount for them because at the end  of the day i have to get home.
Weight is maybe of 30% of my concern

Ill look into tactical taylor stuff thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes sir sorry. I have some holes there.
I will be at a desk, getting in and out of a car, searching houses inside and out. So quite a bit of movement. Im willing to pay a decent amount for them because at the end  of the day i have to get home.
Weight is maybe of 30% of my concern

Ill look into tactical taylor stuff thanks.
View Quote

for mag pouches I personally use Esstac, Ten speed by Blue force, and HSGI Tacos. I like access with no bungees or flaps. Good retention, I've yet to lose a mag. Again, Mayflower and Velocity Systems are great kit. Also, lots of great dealers with many being sponsors. Just go to one of their websites and start browsing. I always start at SKD Tactical or OPTactical.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 2.0 has some nice features that can serve you well. After plates, what do you really need to carry on duty? Two, maybe three rifle mags? extra pistol mags? First aid supplies? Are you going to be wearing in your vehicle, or mainly on foot standing guard or searching for a suspect?

The 2.0 has provision for a kangaroo mag pouch for 2x rifle mags. The cummerbund as spots for additional mags or radios. So you may not need pouches except pistol and the medical kit. There are a lot of good options on med kits. Blue Force Gear Trauma now is awesome, Mayflower/velocity's blow out kit is good for putting on the lower part of the back plate.

One piece of advice is to wear it often until you like how it sits and how you can access your equipment. Whenever I get a new piece of kit, I make it a point to wear it around the house doing all kinds of chores; cook, eat, laundry, watch TV, and even sitting on the porcelain throne. While not, an exact replica of work, you will kit an idea if something is pinching, binding, or in the wrong spot.
View Quote

I did this with mine for a while. I pull it out of the trunk and wear it while doing foot patrol sometimes if I haven't worn it in a while. My set-up is pretty simple.Shellback Banshee with highcom plates, Tactical Tailor triple rifle pouch on the front, HSGI bleeder blowout kit on one side and a double pistol pouch on the side. I removed the shoulder buckles and put some SKD g hooks on as they are much flatter.

If I'm not wearing my duty belt i sometimes stuff a radio in a rifle mag pouch.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Great thank you very much.

Now for plates, Should I ceramic or ar500? I researched a bit and Spartan armor systems single curve plates seem gtg for $375.00 a pair.

What other Ceramics should I consider
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now for plates, Should I ceramic or ar500? I researched a bit and Spartan armor systems single curve plates seem gtg for $375.00 a pair.

View Quote

What is your main purpose?  Are you doing classes?  Patrol, wearing it a lot?  What's your budget?  What level are you looking at?  
Take a look at Highcom plates.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is your main purpose?  Are you doing classes?  Patrol, wearing it a lot?  What's your budget?  What level are you looking at?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok will look at the highcoms Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This 2.0 Banshee is nice, seems a little small for my big man status though, I asked softshell what they thought and they said it would be fine; although she didn't sound too sure. Probably should have opted for a plate carrier that came in different sizes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top