Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2016 12:33:02 AM EDT
If you have level 3+ or lvl 4 plates, (non ICW plates) do you use a plate backer 3A or otherwise?  

I called TYR today, very polite company to talk with too.  
Anyway I was asking about the differences about their PCs and I asked if the more expensive EPIC came with soft armor plate backers, and then he asked what plates I was going to use. I told him lvl 4, and then he asked why. He didn't think I'd be facing lvl 4 threats like 30.06 AP, and he asked what threat am I really concerned with. I told him green tip 5.56...........

Some of the basic questions I meant to ask where brushed away with conversation so I'm curious what you guys use.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
the ELITE isn't a plate carrier.  It's a full coverage ballistic vest (well, pretty close to full)
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
the ELITE isn't a plate carrier.  It's a full coverage ballistic vest (well, pretty close to full)
View Quote

Even so, it carries a plate too, and I'm honestly too ignorant at this point to know the difference between a plate carrier, a full coverage ballistic vest (which holds plates too), and a Tactical® Male Enhanced PICO Integrated Carrier – EPIC™.

Applicable Carriers:
• Male Enhanced PICO Integrated Carrier – EPIC™
• Female Enhanced PICO Integrated Carrier – EPIC™

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I use IIIA backers with level IV SAPI in a plate carrier. Plate carriers are just made to carry rifle plates. A full vest setup will have soft armor coverage equal to (or exceeding) conventional concealable soft armor. It will also have pockets for rifle plates. It may additionally feature pockets for side armor plates. Some are setup in-between, such as a plate carrier with some added soft armor. Mine is an old Diamondback Tactical Fast Attack Plate Carrier with IIIA cummerbund covering the sides. It does not have soft armor larger than the rifle plate on the front or back.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a non ballistic rated plate backer behind my lvl 4 stand alone plate, moreso for fitment and to fill space in my LWPC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I surprised only 2 answered
I was going to buy high comm plates, and I'm going back and forth with TYR, but I'm beginning to feel like he's putting me onto the path of 3+ ICW plates, because that's what he sells.

When looking at realistic homeowner threats, handguns, shotguns, and most rifles will be defeated by lvl 3 plates. I'd like something better to cover green tip 5.56 which brings me up to lvl 3+ plates. High comm sells expensive lightweight lvl 4 plates that weigh less and thinner than 3+ anyway.

TYR's lvl 3+ ICW would still weigh even less than high comm's lvl 4.

Most of our carriers are designed for  soft armor and a plate because they are military style carriers and the military requires backers.
View Quote

I'm wondering how much of this is true, or what's true for most of the people most of the time that wear this for a living.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was going to buy high comm plates, and I'm going back and forth with TYR, but I'm beginning to feel like he's putting me onto the path of 3+ ICW plates, because that's what he sells.

When looking at realistic homeowner threats, handguns, shotguns, and most rifles will be defeated by lvl 3 plates. I'd like something better to cover green tip 5.56 which brings me up to lvl 3+ plates. High comm sells expensive lightweight lvl 4 plates that weigh less and thinner than 3+ anyway.

I'm wondering how much of this is true, or what's true for most of the people most of the time that wear this for a living.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most of our carriers are designed for  soft armor and a plate because they are military style carriers and the military requires backers.

yes, military SAPI/ESAPI/XSAPI plates are all supposed to be used in-conjunction with soft armor to get the full level of protection

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My plates are rated for use in conjunction with the plate backers, so, yes, I use backers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the highcom lvl IV stand alone plates, but I still use 3A backers, if only for trauma and wear-ability.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm using 3A backers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top