Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2016 6:48:36 PM EDT
https://www.shellbacktactical.com/ECO-Active-Shooter-Response-Hard-Armor-Kit/

I've read they make good US made products. I'm considering this over the SKD group buy. The SKD plates are about a lb. lighter and a little thinner, but the Shellback carrier (to me anyways) look like it might be better and I don't have to jump through all the hoops SKD requires. The plate carrier looks like it might be more comfortable too.

Anybody purchased body armor from Shellback? What kind of documentation to they require from the purchaser? I emailed them, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

Much appreciated fellas!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

https://www.shellbacktactical.com/ECO-Active-Shooter-Response-Hard-Armor-Kit/
I've read they make good US made products. I'm considering this over the SKD group buy. The SKD plates are about a lb. lighter and a little thinner, but the Shellback carrier (to me anyways) look like it might be better and I don't have to jump through all the hoops SKD requires. The plate carrier looks like it might be more comfortable too.
Anybody purchased body armor from Shellback? What kind of documentation to they require from the purchaser? I emailed them, but I thought I'd ask here as well.
Much appreciated fellas!
View Quote

What kind of documentation to (sic) they require from the purchaser?

A COPY OF YOUR STATE ISSUED ID OR DRIVERS LICENSE TO [email protected] - SALES NOT LIMITED TO LE OR MIL ALL CAN ORDER JUST NEED A COPY OF YOUR REGULAR ID)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  That looks like a good alternative to SKD.  I like their products but, their restrictive sales policy causes me to shop somewhere else.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't tell from their website, are these ceramic plates?

I sent them an email, and they replied back that they are ceramic stand-alone.  They also indicated they would update the webpage to reflect that.

Looks like a decent deal for what it is, and far easier to buy from than some other choices.  Looks like I may have found what I'm looking for.  Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't tell from their website, are these ceramic plates?
View Quote

Doesn't say specifically, but for a 7.8lb plate that is considered level IV, they pretty much have to be ceramic, probably similar to the highcom 4SAS7 plates at their price point.  Also they are NOT NIJ certified, they simply state they meet the lvl IV spec.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Mr Roughneck!!!

I didn't know you were still here!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. Ordered a set.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Just to clarify, they are 1lb heavier EACH. So a 2lb heavier setup. The weight and SKD's history of only selling quality products, especially those carrying the SKD name, are why I went with the SKD GB over other similarly priced option. Every other plate in the price range is right around 8lb and while its not the end of the world, why not get something thinner and lighter? Their purchase policy? Fair enough, to each their own.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just to clarify, they are 1lb heavier EACH. So a 2lb heavier setup. The weight and SKD's history of only selling quality products, especially those carrying the SKD name, are why I went with the SKD GB over other similarly priced option. Every other plate in the price range is right around 8lb and while its not the end of the world, why not get something thinner and lighter? Their purchase policy? Fair enough, to each their own.
View Quote

It is a free market so, support which ever vendors you want.  In my case, I have to ask myself why am I qualified to own a Machinegun, Grendade launcher, etc. and purchase similar products from other vendors but, I don't qualify for the SKD GB purchase because I don't have a CCW?  I get the LEO exemption but, many of us are not issued gear by the D.O.D. or local police force but, still need the protection due to where we live or work or play.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it just me or does the Patriot plate carrier only have 5 PALS rows across the front flap?
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it just me or does the Patriot plate carrier only have 5 PALS rows across the front flap?
View Quote

Yes only 5. Esstac made a custom pouch setup for it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump

Those that ordered, what are your thoughts?

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Any drawbacks or potential problems with this?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bump

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Bump

Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, its a benefit. You don't hang as much junk on your pc.

In reality, its really all about your preference.

V
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top