Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2016 3:09:14 PM EDT
Does anyone have suggestions for a first vest?  I have looked at the Israeli ones sold at Zahal, but you must use PayPal, and I would prefer something American-made.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
IIIA or IIa? What cut are you looking for, concealable, balcs, etc. ? Price range? Galls has a big selection of soft armor but if you just want 10x12 IIIa panels to throw in a plate carrier midwest armor has them for $50 a piece.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIIA or IIa? What cut are you looking for, concealable, balcs, etc. ? Price range? Galls has a big selection of soft armor but if you just want 10x12 IIIa panels to throw in a plate carrier midwest armor has them for $50 a piece.
View Quote

I have looked at BALCS but it costs around $600 for the Eagle carrier and panels.  I plan on starting with a simple concealable vest and eventually getting a plate carrier too.  
Are the panels you mention the same as "plate backers"?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Avoid Zahal. I never got what ordered from them and they didn't give a fuck either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Avoid Zahal. I never got what ordered from them and they didn't give a fuck either.
View Quote

Good to know, I was wary of using PayPal anyways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

$50/ea for IIIA ESAPI backers? Thank you!

I'll have to get some soon. I've been putting off buying backers for my plates, but I really need some.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to get some soon. I've been putting off buying backers for my plates, but I really need some.
I believe they're still running their 4th of July sale. Coupon code MIDWEST15

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I just received my level IIIA 8.75 x 11.75 backers from midwest armor. Great company to buy from and they will take care of anything you need.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm still trying to figure out how they're so cheap. They're half as expensive as the least expensive options on the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just received my level IIIA 8.75 x 11.75 backers from midwest armor. Great company to buy from and they will take care of anything you need.

I'm still trying to figure out how they're so cheap. They're half as expensive as the least expensive options on the market.

I checked the website when I saw the price, they're not actually rated by NIJ, just made to spec. That testing from what I understand isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, thanks for that tip forlorn

Geez and $85 with the code, guess ill have a struggle tonight myself
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So are these any good as standalone armor or do they have to be used as plate backers?  
View Quote
I would be concerned about backside deformation. Synthetics that aren't NIJ rated and approved tend to stretch significantly.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So are these any good as standalone armor or do they have to be used as plate backers?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, thanks for that tip forlorn

Geez and $85 with the code, guess ill have a struggle tonight myself

Im not using these for standalone so its irrelevant to me
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are an Industry Partner.  Maybe let them know if there are issues.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/674_Zahal_org.html

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]

The Midwest level IIIA label says:

" This model of armor is intended for use as a trauma pad and/or plate backer to bring ICW armor plates into their rated compliance level."

So it is Level IIIA rated but they do not specifically say it is for use as Level IIIA armor.  Sort of.  Maybe give them a call?

eta If anyone finds out please post the results here.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Midwest level IIIA label says:

" This model of armor is intended for use as a trauma pad and/or plate backer to bring ICW armor plates into their rated compliance level."

So it is Level IIIA rated but they do not specifically say it is for use as Level IIIA armor.  Sort of.  Maybe give them a call?

eta If anyone finds out please post the results here.  
View Quote

Funny you mention this. I asked about their certification regarding there 3A BALCS cut armor. I mean the price is amazing but I'm not willing to bet my life on saving a few bucks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#20]

I think a call to them would clear up any questions or concerns.
eta They have a great rep but certification would be nice.  I have no idea.  I've seen the NIJ list of certified armor and Midwest's plates are on it.  But no IIIA soft armor.

http://www.nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/pages/compliant-ballistic-armor.aspx

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Where are you guys seeing $50? That's crazy cheap. I see $75, which is still cheap but not as cheap. With the MIDWEST15 code, that's 63.75 apiece. Did I miss a sale or something?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn it! Well, I'm still going to order an extra pair because with code, that's still a better price than I have seen elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#24]
It looks like I really missed the boat on US Palm....their Defender carriers were on sale for $50 but looks like they are sold out now.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I am looking at the basic BulletSafe vest too, it seems like a great deal for $300 and can hold plates too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone have experience with "thebestbulletproofvest.com"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top