Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 12:32:45 PM EDT
I'm tall and not quite obese.
I'd like my first set of armor plate and carrier and looking for top quality and fit on the first go, and online sources won't let you return.  
Is anyone else here my size and can make some recommendations?
There is no mission, except acquire good armor before USA turns into the people's Republic of California.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea what I was issued (Army 2011) but it was comfortable and fit well.
Ceramic plates are very expensive so might have to go with steel if Uncle Sugar is not footing the bill.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I might be able to help a brother out here...

Depending on which doctor I go to, I'm 6'4" or 6'5" and between 260 to 270.

I went with High Com Security level IV plates; the Guardian 4SAS7 in 11x14 SAPI for front and rear and their 6x8 for side armor. I wear this set up over my uniform and soft body armor.  With extra mags, med-kit, and other little shit, it is very heavy.  Just with my duty gear alone, I tip the scales around 302-305.  I haven't weighed myself in full battle rattle yet but I'm guessing some where over 340.

After doing some research last night, there seem to be a few great manufactures out there for XL plate carriers that will hold these plates.

I know for High Com, you need to be either LEO or MIL to buy these, but I do know they have civilian armor for sale too.

There is always AR500 plates too; that was my first purchase but after watching some tests and the general consensus is that these plates are not ideal.  

Your budget should dictate where and who you should be looking at.

There are A LOT of other really good vendors out there for plates so have fun looking and trying to decide.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We have some big boys wearing XL Crye Jumpables and they're OK.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to remember, plate size is plate size. I'm 6'9" and 270. My banshee with 10 by 12's looks like a postage stamp on me but it covers my vitals. Maybe the bottom tip on my lungs shows.

So maybe the 11 by 13 would be better but you get what I'm saying. So a bigger best is going to let you hang more shit off of it, but plate size is plate size.

If you're civilian I don't think you really need to overload you PC with all if the stuff mil guys do.  

So a PC that's considered smaller will hold less stuff but be light. And it'll still hold what you need.

I've got mag pouches, medical with TQ, admin pack, multi tool, camelbak, and a rolly polly dump pouch.

The new banshee has an integrated admin pack and mag holders in the cummerbund.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd like my first set of armor plate and carrier and looking for top quality and fit on the first go, and online sources won't let you return.  
There is no mission, except acquire good armor before USA turns into the people's Republic of California.
View Quote

I'm just over 6'4" and about 227, so we're a close match.
I wear a size large London Bridge 6094 with a set of large ceradyn rifle plates. It fits great and is super-comfy. I can wear it all day with no discomfort.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not limited by budget, prefer to buy once/cry once. I prefer quality with proven names. It's something I've always wanted, but never got around to getting one. I've wanted an AR for 5 years, Obama's sandy hook speeches inspired me to get one before it's too late. The next terrorist that blazes through a crowd of people with an AR and body armor and my time may be soon up to collect some armor. I also fear that someday I might need armor to go to the grocery store with the way Obama's racist politics are going.

I am civilian with a CCW. I wonder why some brands refuse civilians defense.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not limited by budget, prefer to buy once/cry once. I prefer quality with proven names. It's something I've always wanted, but never got around to getting one. I've wanted an AR for 5 years, Obama's sandy hook speeches inspired me to get one before it's too late. The next terrorist that blazes through a crowd of people with an AR and body armor and my time may be soon up to collect some armor. I also fear that someday I might need armor to go to the grocery store with the way Obama's racist politics are going.

I am civilian with a CCW. I wonder why some brands refuse civilians defense.
View Quote

They don't want it on their conscience if they sell to a shooter us what they say.

What I hear is it'll be death for business if our name is blasted all over the media associated with the shooter.

At least I'd believe them if they said the second one because the first excuse us nonsense liberal logic. Guilty until proven innocent, et cetera. It's as ridiculous as gun manufacturers getting blanked when someone buys a gun and shoots the place up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: What I hear is it'll be death for business if our name is blasted all over the media associated with the shooter.
View Quote

I'm regretfully sure that a shooter wearing armor would be good for armor business. Violence sparks innocents to learn how to shoot wherever innocents are killed. The governmental threat of not being able to buy armor would spark a great demand.  I would believe they might think ban civilians for your reasons, or added liability of idiots buying their armor and use them for ill intended purposes like shooting your friend in the chest to test it.

I'm also considering soft armor for concealment. A few weeks back my wife spotted an elder muslim man photographing emergency exits in the mall we frequent. She thought it looked suspicious, and not only because he looked muslim. I told her over and over to report it, but she refused too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
6'4, 232 here. Went with Guardian 4SAS7 10x12 multi-curve shooter cut for the front and a 11x14 (I think, I'll have to check) SAPI from for the back (both from Highcom) in a PIG (SKD). Can't complain, the PIG is a bit pricey compared to some others but it rides very nicely even after a full day at the range or during a run.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
6'4, 232 here. Went with Guardian 4SAS7 10x12 multi-curve shooter cut for the front and a 11x14 (I think, I'll have to check) SAPI from for the back (both from Highcom) in a PIG (SKD). Can't complain, the PIG is a bit pricey compared to some others but it rides very nicely even after a full day at the range or during a run.
View Quote

Since we are the same size, is 10x12 a good size? Or would you recommend a larger front plate?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Since we are the same size, is 10x12 a good size? Or would you recommend a larger front plate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

a 10x12 plate (nominally a SAPI medium- 9 1/2x12 1/2) is good for someone up to 5'10" and with up to a 41" chest based on US mil sizing.  You'll want at least a Large (10 1/8x13 1/4)  

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me, the plate covers all the important bits and the cut allows me to shoulder a weapon fairly well, much better than full IOTV and SAPI plates. I wear a 48L for my service jacket (pretty loose so probably about a 44) so if you're bigger in the chest, it might behoove you to go up one size larger.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a 44L suit, so we're close there too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a big site with lots of members, maybe you could find someone around your size and see if they will let you try thiers on.

Im about 44 in the chest and i wear a s/m carrier with 10x12 plates and it still has room to adjust. With the adjustments most carriers have you could wear a large adjusted out or probably an xl adjusted all the way in.

I would meaure
1. an inch above your belly button to the top of your sternum
2. nipple to nipple

This will tell you what size plates you need and will help let you know what size carrier to fit the plates.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is a big site with lots of members, maybe you could find someone around your size and see if they will let you try thiers on.

Im about 44 in the chest and i wear a s/m carrier with 10x12 plates and it still has room to adjust. With the adjustments most carriers have you could wear a large adjusted out or probably an xl adjusted all the way in.

I would meaure

2. nipple to nipple

This will tell you what size plates you need and will help let you know what size carrier to fit the plates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would meaure

2. nipple to nipple

it's not just whether or not a carrier has enough room for adjustments.  the pocket also has to be sized to accommodate the plate being used.  a s/m carrier generally will not have a pocket big enough to hold a large or xl plate

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would meaure
2. nipple to nipple

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would meaure
2. nipple to nipple

An inch above the bellybutton sounds awfully low for a plate measurement. I'm not even sure I could sit properly with a plate starting there. I'd go an inch below the diaphragm maybe. Different strokes and all that I guess. It's all tradeoff. Mobility/weight vs protection.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

it's not just whether or not a carrier has enough room for adjustments.  the pocket also has to be sized to accommodate the plate being used.  a s/m carrier generally will not have a pocket big enough to hold a large or xl plate

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would meaure
2. nipple to nipple

I didnt say it a s/m carrier would hold a large/xl plate. i said "here are my measurements/this is what i wear" and then based on his larger size offered a suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

An inch above the bellybutton sounds awfully low for a plate measurement. I'm not even sure I could sit properly with a plate starting there. I'd go an inch below the diaphragm maybe. Different strokes and all that I guess. It's all tradeoff. Mobility/weight vs protection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would meaure
2. nipple to nipple

You probably need to research.

Every armor manufacturer i know of recommends on thier measuring guide that you measure from right above the navel to the brestbone/clavical. My s/m carrier with 10x12 plates does not hinder me in any position wearing a belt.

If you dont cover below the diaphram you leave your stomach, aorta, inferior vena cava, kidney, liver and a bunch of other parts exposed
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:47:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know for High Com, you need to be either LEO or MIL to buy these, but I do know they have civilian armor for sale too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Highcomm appears to sell to civilians with a birth certificate. Who knows if they go by their guidelines and give civilians extra crap to go through. Highcomm doesn't sell carriers bigger than 10x12 plates though. TAG seams to list plate sizes with the carrier size. The london trading company doesn't make plate size obvious though.

The above mentioned product is controlled for export purposes by the U.S. Department of State and cannot be sold to foreign persons within or outside the United States without government approval through an export license.  Prior to completing this transaction we will require you to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship by uploading a scanned imaged of your passport or birth certificate. If you are a member of Law Enforcement we will also accept a photocopy of your badge or identification. You further agree that these items are being purchased for personal use and that they will not be redirected or exported without first obtaining permission from the U.S. Government through the U.S. Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. Failure to follow these guidelines will result in our refusal of sale.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Every armor manufacturer i know of recommends on thier measuring guide that you measure from right above the navel to the brestbone/clavical. My s/m carrier with 10x12 plates does not hinder me in any position wearing a belt.

If you dont cover below the diaphram you leave your stomach, aorta, inferior vena cava, kidney, liver and a bunch of other parts exposed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would meaure
2. nipple to nipple

What you're saying doesn't concur with what ive seen others say here and what I've heard on my own.

Linky linky
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would meaure

2. nipple to nipple

the measurement to above the navel is generally for sizing concealed soft body armor.  it's like that to account for an officer wearing a duty belt and sitting a lot

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#22]
LBT 6094B (Large) carrier with Hesco Large SAPI plates level III+ plates work for me.

I'm about 6"2 and 240-ish...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#23]
6'3 and 245 here.

I run a First Spear Strandhogg and 11x14 steel plates front and back with 3a soft armor on the side cumberbunds. Sizing and comfort is perfect for me. The 10x12  plates that I used to have were way too small and looked like a child's dress-up set. I have 6x8 side plates also but the weight is ridiculous.  

I'm going to get lightweight plates from DKX or Dfndr as soon as I can afford it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
6'3 and 245 here.

I run a First Spear Strandhogg and 11x14 steel plates front and back with 3a soft armor on the side cumberbunds. Sizing and comfort is perfect for me. The 10x12  plates that I used to have were way too small and looked like a child's dress-up set. I have 6x8 side plates also but the weight is ridiculous.  

I'm going to get lightweight plates from DKX or Dfndr as soon as I can afford it.
View Quote

Is the back SAPI cut or a rectangle?
And is the back curved or flat?
I've been emailing vendors and researching a lot.
TYR puts me in a L size carrier and plate at 44L, even though I'm on the bigger side if L.

TAG tactical also put me in a L when I emailed them with my height/weight/chest.

When I called Highcomm and asked him about the XL plates 11x14 he assumed I must be at least 6'8".
Nipple to nipple (center) I'm about 10.5" wide. Covering both nipples would take 11".
Does the XL plate and carrier interfere with shouldering a rifle in any way? Or does the SAPI cut solve that issue?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
go with Large.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top