Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
actual issued MBAV inserts are safariland M97 panels which are kind of hard to find and look like this:

but you can stuff any plate backer in them, or you can buy mbav specific cut panels that aren't M97 spec like these ones from velocity systems

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine are Velocity Systems, I got 'em from OPT, didn't have any problems getting 'em at the time, though they look to be out of stock at the moment:

http://www.optactical.com/vesymbleiiso.html

ETA: It looks like only the S/M are OOS, the L/XL are in stock.  Might be getting rid of mine soon and/or trading them for plate backers depending on what I end up deciding on to replace my MBAV...

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
due you recommend 6x6 or 6x8 side plates?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
the RBAV was made to use 6x6 MSAP plates from the modular supplemental armor package. IOTV was made to use ESAPI 6x8s in up to size L, size XL+ use XS ESAPI plates.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread took off.  Some good info here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDS-BAE-Systems-RBAV-SF-Releasable-Body-Armor-Vest-Ranger-Green-RLCS-Size-MED-/171358756441?hash=item27e5c71e59:g:wC4AAOSw-ndTnOuO&autorefresh=true

FYI it auto accepted for 130 so try 120 if you buy it and report back for everyone else :D

okay so i am going to buy this and try it out and i am curious after watching the video...where do I buy the extra stuff :D I want those auxiliary pieces :D Anyone know of a solid source?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Upgrade your MBAV to a AVS and if you decide to go with backers or SA plates swap out for the standard plate bags
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine are Velocity Systems, I got 'em from OPT, didn't have any problems getting 'em at the time, though they look to be out of stock at the moment:

http://www.optactical.com/vesymbleiiso.html

ETA: It looks like only the S/M are OOS, the L/XL are in stock.  Might be getting rid of mine soon and/or trading them for plate backers depending on what I end up deciding on to replace my MBAV...

~Augee

Upgrade your MBAV to a AVS and if you decide to go with backers or SA plates swap out for the standard plate bags

An MBAV AVS is definitely a contender, though I'm also considering just biting the bullet and getting a CPC and JPC.  I "get" modular, but when it comes to body armor, I'm not sure I "buy" modular, I rarely, if ever switch things out, most of the time I'd rather just have a second vest set up differently, rather than trying to mess around with swapping stuff, placards, swift clips, etc.  

The biggest attraction of the AVS besides that is that I could buy it piece by piece, offsetting the cost compared to the CPC, and I could keep/continue to use my MBAV inserts.  

That being said, every indication I've seen is that the CPC is the more comfortable and stable of the two.  

Also, while the ESBI (ESAPI side-plates) are often "quoted" as being 6x8", they're really probably closer to 7x8".  

A lot of side plate pockets that claim that they will fit 6x6" or 6x8" plates were designed for the thin, standalone MSAPs, and if they're tight (like on the Eagle MBAV/EPC), the ESBIs will not fit in them.  

I personally prefer to use my 6x6" MSAP side plates, as I find them small and thin enough to be used/worn pretty much full-time, the ESBIs I'm not a big fan of, but I'm a smaller guy, and they're supposed to be "one size fits all," though, as DocBach mentioned, using XS ESAPIs for XL and above IOTVs is an acknowledged option subject to commander's discretion.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDS-BAE-Systems-RBAV-SF-Releasable-Body-Armor-Vest-Ranger-Green-RLCS-Size-MED-/171358756441?hash=item27e5c71e59:g:wC4AAOSw-ndTnOuO&autorefresh=true

FYI it auto accepted for 130 so try 120 if you buy it and report back for everyone else :D

okay so i am going to buy this and try it out and i am curious after watching the video...where do I buy the extra stuff :D I want those auxiliary pieces :D Anyone know of a solid source?
View Quote

If you search "MSAP" on eBay there are a couple of listing for complete MSAP kits, which are designed to be used with the RBAV and MBAV.  

The MSAP kit will/could/should come with deltoid protectors and a nut flap that can accept 6x6" side plates (as mentioned, they're designed to be compatible with thin stand alone plates, so as long as you stick with something similar, they should work just fine).  

The only thing you'd be missing is really all the collar protection, and the lower back pad relative to the "full" IOTV.  Honestly, if you're interested in "all" that stuff, you could probably adapt surplus IOTV kit to the RBAV, which you can pick up cheap at a surplus store with soft inserts included.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSAP-kit-components-khaki-NEW-EAGLE-ALLIED-INDUSTRIES-/112029905955?hash=item1a1580b423:g:jWoAAOSwM4xXYwZ0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAGLE-INDUSTRIES-KHAKI-MSAP-CIRAS-RRV-MBAV-RETROFIT-KIT-SHOULDER-PADS-CUMMERBUND-/182084586671?hash=item2a65164caf:g:swcAAOSwvgdW4yGa

which is complete? Looks like one is missing groin is anything else missing? Fair Price?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
fyi $120 is an accepted offer for the rbav

as for the msap kits, neither of those is actually complete -- they are suppose to come with 5 6x6 MSAP plates (1 for each shoulder, 1 for each side, and one for the groin protector).

A lot of the MSAP kit is specifically for the original MBAV (cummerbund refit, shoulder pads -- RBAV comes with its own) -- you might want to search for a separate MSAP groin protector and shoulder pads

ranger green MSAP shoulder pads with soft armor
Ranger green MSAP cockblocker (no soft armor) should fit an IBA's nut flap armor
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
MSAP plates...you mean hard plates? I would just buy my own. Are they complete as in regards to pieces besides groin and plates? I'll buy my own plates.

so you mean i would get double shoulders? thats not a big deal. as long as it has everything else.

When i did ebay search that is all that i found.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
MSAP is a specific 6x6 cut plates that were stand alone, weighed less than normal plates and were thinner

those were a couple sets I was selling out of the MSAP kit I had
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
MSAP plates...you mean hard plates? I would just buy my own. Are they complete as in regards to pieces besides groin and plates? I'll buy my own plates.

so you mean i would get double shoulders? thats not a big deal. as long as it has everything else.

View Quote

you'd get a shit ton of things not compatible with the RBAV -- the MSAP kit was made for an operator issued both an MBAV and an RBAV, so you'd have a bunch of shit for a vest you don't have
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

you'd get a shit ton of things not compatible with the RBAV -- the MSAP kit was made for an operator issued both an MBAV and an RBAV, so you'd have a bunch of shit for a vest you don't have
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so does it have everything i need for an RBAV? I mean  it is 120...i think i would spend as much piecemeal it...
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
it doesn't have the soft armor protection required for using plates other than MSAP/ protection from lesser ballistic threats or frag -- MSAP plates were stand alone
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I can buy custom inserts off Ebay according to your post above no? I mean if it has all the connectors and cloth pieces that's good to me. I can buy the inserts after market from either ebay or AR500 or any of many places. steel inserts too are not even that much heavier than ceramic. (2LB vs 2.5lb)
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for the inevitable "any suggestions on how to lighten my carrier" thread 6 months from now.
View Quote

Gonna be a bigger thread than that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
i learned through this thread that making an offer on ebay obligates you to buy it if the offer is automatically accepted.

now i have to spend money buying pouches for this green vest to go along with the tan one I already have.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What did you end up buying?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i learned through this thread that making an offer on ebay obligates you to buy it if the offer is automatically accepted.

now i have to spend money buying pouches for this green vest to go along with the tan one I already have.

What did you end up buying?

well, i was playing with the make an offer button so I got stuck buying the vest.

Then I was looking at RLCS gear that's available. Ended up buying the pouches for how I usually set up vests, a triple shingle ($14) for the front flap, a couple mag pouches for the left cummerbund wing ($29), a hydration carrier ($16), and a canteen pouch for the right cummerbund flap ($14). All in all, not too spendy for a full working setup. I'm gonna be on the look out for surplus RLCS IFAKs because I don't want to buy a new one for $65 like they want.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
actual issued MBAV inserts are safariland M97 panels which are kind of hard to find and look like this:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvrNLZ1fESzjmdeXgJ1uM9MOFeHYYyDoQ4J_ZJLPVOiCcucuC0

but you can stuff any plate backer in them, or you can buy mbav specific cut panels that aren't M97 spec like these ones from velocity systems

View Quote

Doc - when you say M97 spec, is that referring to the cut, or the threat level (i.e. DOD vs NIJ)? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Doc - when you say M97 spec, is that referring to the cut, or the threat level (i.e. DOD vs NIJ)? Thanks in advance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvrNLZ1fESzjmdeXgJ1uM9MOFeHYYyDoQ4J_ZJLPVOiCcucuC0

hate how doc and augee assume we all know this shit -_- some of the stuff isn't even googlable. Hell geeks like me are better on tech sites with not abusing short hand.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#26]
M97 is the spec socom ordered for use with their spear sapi plates (lighter and thinner than esapis), if you aren't using those kind of plates you don't need to worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I personally don't think I could ever bring myself to spend $1k on the CPC vs $600 for a fully kitted out AVS.
View Quote

C'mon, Joe, you know me better than that, you really think I'd pay new MSRP?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm more of a RG fan.
View Quote

Well then, you might dig this:

Surplus:
$120 for the RBAV
$14 for the triple shingle
$17 for the hydration carrier (on back)
$28 for three single mag pouches (best offer from supertrashdiggerman on ebay)
$15 for the canteen pouch

New:
$59 for the medical pouch (almost snagged a used one for $40 but someone sniped me)
$230 for the soft armor (came from the dragon skin dude, Allan Bain -- dragon skin was a flop, but it's legitimate KM2+ from dupont so fuck it).

On Hand:
BAE dump pouch
Guardian Plates
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top