Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2016 1:02:26 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a good vest/carrier that is comparable to the protection of the full IOTV with shoulders, arms, neck, and throat? I also want to add to it ar500 stomach hard plate too if possible. I would use ar500 plates with it.

I saw bullet proof me was the only place with something similar to the BAE IOTV but not as good.

I am also open to other suggestions as well but maximum protection is something I am looking for. I am also fine with building a lighter system and the more complete BAE IOTV equivalent.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Any reason why?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
do I need a reason?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

do I need a reason?
View Quote

Wearing the full IOTV getup is a smoker. Your mobility is limited and you will hate your life.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wearing the full IOTV getup is a smoker. Your mobility is limited and you will hate your life.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do I need a reason?

I know...still want it or comparable system.

this is only thing i have found but i am not a fan. It doesn't look that good.
http://bulletproofme.com/Photos/Arm-Protectors.htm
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do I need a reason?

That's pretty much what I was getting at. If you want a good mix of coverage and mobility, take a look at BALCS or MBAV armor. Also, remember that most of that ancillary armor is only frag rated, with no NIJ rating. It's better than nothing, but many feel that losing mobility / adding discomfort and heat aren't worth it. Any reason you are set on it, such as an employment requirement? If so, there are better options if you require that level of coverage.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

...many feel that losing mobility / adding discomfort and heat aren't worth it.
View Quote
I'm one of those people, but I work in Louisiana, so if I was some place cold it might make a difference. There will always be a maneuverability handicap though. I've noticed larger guys (not fatter) seem to take this better than smaller guys. The IOTV is definitely more maneuverable than both the IBA and MTV. I haven't tried an IMTV. If I thought I'd be exposed to frag threats and it wasn't ungodly hot, I'd want the IOTV for sure.

At work I use an old Diamonback FAPC with IIIa cumberbund, but my threats are from pistols and occasional rifles. Also I don't suffer heat stroke risk just from walking around in it. lol

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's pretty much what I was getting at. If you want a good mix of coverage and mobility, take a look at BALCS or MBAV armor. Also, remember that most of that ancillary armor is only frag rated, with no NIJ rating. It's better than nothing, but many feel that losing mobility / adding discomfort and heat aren't worth it. Any reason you are set on it, such as an employment requirement? If so, there are better options if you require that level of coverage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
do I need a reason?

Eventually I'll get a MBAV too but I want to get a full IOTV type armor first. Also  IIRC IOTV was all IIIa so it gave great handgun round protection over large areas of your body (shoulders and arms). If it didn't  you could add it some how. I forget...its been ages since i have seen one of those.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been looking hard at the FirstSpear Siege-R Optimized with FirstSpear's MASS system.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]
@jspence06 that is interesting. The carrier also looks of really nice quality at face value. But this still has the issue of the shoulders and flies being wide open.

Also would AR500 stomach/groin plate work with this? stomach protection is important to me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@jspence06 that is interesting. The carrier also looks of really nice quality at face value. But this still has the issue of the shoulders and flies being wide open.

Also would AR500 stomach/groin plate work with this? stomach protection is important to me.
View Quote

Mind if I ask what your previous experience in wearing body armor is, and what your current role for this would be?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do I need a reason?

the entire soft armor package is the equivalent of NIJ Level IIIA.  the mil has it's own specs and doesn't use NIJ ratings.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mind if I ask what your previous experience in wearing body armor is, and what your current role for this would be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

interceptor and MTV.

This body armor isn't going to be worn on a daily basis so I plan on only wearing it for training and/or whenever the time actually comes. That's why the extra protection is wanted. I wont be wearing this every single day so the extra 4-15 pounds isn't a big deal plus I will have both...a complete gunner type set and just a plate carrier. Really do not know why you are so interested...it really is irrelevant. I know what I want and I just need to know what or if anything exists like the BAE IOTV that I an buy....since the federal government likes to piss on civilians/retirees having access on comparable gear.

seriously? It says I can't buy the add-ons.
http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17609
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
look for a surplus RBAV -- cheap on ebay, sometimes unclesams has them too. BAE made them for SOCOM, similar to the IOTV but uses BALCS panels.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#14]
can you elaborate a little more to educate me on this? I have limited experience with these. BALCS panels are IIIa right? I really like that spear head thing but the fact the important stuff is mil/leo only is hog wash and i am considering not giving them business out of principle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
what makes an IOTV bulky is the quick release carrier.  Beez Combat Sytems has low profile IOTV carriers.

the armor's coverage itself is good though.  if you compare an IOTV with a similarly equipped KHS Army plate carrier, the IOTV only weighs about 2lbs more but you get side coverage and more upper chest/shoulder coverage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Just get on eBay and buy an IOTV.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a RBAV-AF but any of the newer armor carrier that use BALCS cut should give you a lot of coverage if that is what you desire.

As for plates I would recommend ceramic if you can afford it otherwise go with steel.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
what makes an IOTV bulky is the quick release carrier.  Beez Combat Sytems has low profile IOTV carriers.

the armor's coverage itself is good though.  if you compare an IOTV with a similarly equipped KHS Army plate carrier, the IOTV only weighs about 2lbs more but you get side coverage and more upper chest/shoulder coverage.
View Quote

can you elaborate so i do not accidental look at something wrong or make a bad assumption?

You nailed my position on the solid protection over all for pistol rounds/fragmentation.

I do like that Spear Siege armor but I can't buy it i guess.

BTW I looked on Ebay and I only saw one IOTV and i dont know about its quality....not something i really want to buy used :/
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

can you elaborate so i do not accidental look at something wrong or make a bad assumption?

You nailed my position on the solid protection over all for pistol rounds/fragmentation.

BTW I looked on Ebay and I only saw one IOTV and i dont know about its quality....not something i really want to buy used :/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately used is going to be your only option if you want a military PC. I have an IMTV and I can promise you, that when you get one and load it up and put plates in it, you will be realizing two things. There are some hard men that fight for our freedom and wear these in 100 degree heat and still have mobility and secondly that the added coverage is nice but restricting.
I personally would recommend several PC's that are comparable to this, but you will regret not getting a more comfortable vest. Just remember the only reason these were chosen, was because they were the lowest bidder.

IOTV
IMTV
USMC Scalable plate carrier
CIRAS

But with each of these you will be paying a shit ton, and I personally would go with Crye if I had the option to.

Fully loaded this thing weighs about 25lbs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#20]
RBAV-AF
Hard to find these days but is very light weight, has good mobility, takes BALCS cut soft armor and have a releasable system.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]
so the only thing that is really good is the Siege-R optimized but I can't even get the extra stuff...dumb.

What is the next best vest that is easily acquirable?

and I have worn the interceptor for long periods with gear on it...I managed it just fine and thats a POS vest. These plate carriers are leagues better so I am not worried about weight with these.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Since you are dead-set on a turtlesuit, here's the previously mentioned Beez Combat Systems IOTV compatable systems:
http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Interceptor-IOTV-Carrier-Improved-Outer-Tactical-Vest_c17.htm

Buy a second-hand IOTV off of ebay or Craigslist just for the ballistic inserts, then pick which armor plates you can afford, AR500, UHDPE, Ceramic composite, Titanium, etc.

Here's the DAP covers:

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Deltoid-DAPS-Protector-OTV-BCS-DP.htm

Nut flap carrier:

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Groin-Protector-OTV-BCS-GP.htm

Interaxillary armpit armor carriers:

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Axillary-Protector-OTV-BCS-AXI.htm

Lower back armor carrier:

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Lower-Back-Protector-IOTV-BCS-LBP.htm

Or just buy a second hand Multicam Gen III or IV armor then add the plates you can afford.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
so the only thing that is really good is the Siege-R optimized but I can't even get the extra stuff...dumb.

and I have worn the interceptor for long periods with gear on it...I managed it just fine and thats a POS vest. These plate carriers are leagues better so I am not worried about weight with these.
View Quote

RBAV -- think of it as SOCOM's version of the IOTV. It is a full on armor carrier sized vest. ~$100 on ebay for military surplus. Find BALCS inserts for ~$200, throw in your plates and bam you have a full armor system.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is one in medium.

As you can see, you can buy the other stuff for it like throat and neck protectors. But remember they are FRAG protection and will not stop a bullet...

CIRAS
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#25]
they stop pistols too...unless BRAV is not made to the same quality as every other piece of added armor.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
they stop pistols too...unless BRAV is not made to the same quality as every other piece of added armor.
View Quote

You buy a base vest, and it's just nylon -- pretty much no vest you find for sale is going to come with ballistic inserts unless you buy something stolen from the government, or you pay an asston of money.

The RBAV is made by the same company that made IOTVs (BAE/SDS), except it was made specifically for SOCOM (SF, Rangers, SEALS).
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You buy a base vest, and it's just nylon -- pretty much no vest you find for sale is going to come with ballistic inserts unless you buy something stolen from the government, or you pay an asston of money.

The RBAV is made by the same company that made IOTVs (BAE/SDS), except it was made specifically for SOCOM (SF, Rangers, SEALS).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily true, I actually got mine from a guy who buys in bulk from Bragg I think it was and got a used IMTV with the Kevlar inserts.

But this was a 1 in a million deal so it is by no means the standard.

I can tell you DC that for someone who is asking for help you are coming off like a dick.

The lower groin protectors and the neck protector is rated for frag/9mm only. It will only weigh extra for a minimal added benefit.

You have three choices here, buy a used on on Ebay and accept that it is used but still functional or buy a vest that has been recommended by people who own one. The third option is to do some googling yourself and find this magical IOTV that is NIB and is available to be sold to someone with no credentials.  

I however am done making suggestions for someone who refuses to listen to what advice has been offered. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not necessarily true, I actually got mine from a guy who buys in bulk from Bragg I think it was and got a used IMTV with the Kevlar inserts.

I can tell you DC that for someone who is asking for help you are coming off like a dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

really i am the arrogant one? Please. I asked for help with my explicit needs and you refuse to give help within the guidelines of what my needs are. I know my needs not you so do not tell me what I need...what is your problem. Get off the high horse man.

The siege R is awesome but appears you can't buy it but i am going to give them a call to find out. Their armor comes with the ability to put in IIIA inserts which is ideal but deal frag/9mm is better than nothing for my needs. 9mm is one of the most common pistol rounds and one i want added protection from for my use case. I know my use case you dont so don't be a "dick"...you seriously have issues.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#29]
You're getting advice from people who have used the setups and systems you're talking about and have experience using them.

They are making recommendations based on common needs and common lines of thought/misconceptions that people have had about what they "need" versus what would work best for them in reality.

The reality is that your needs are unlikely to be substantially different than that of most civilians, and they are giving advice based on that fact.  If you feel that your needs are somehow unique to the "normal" circumstances, then it is often best to explain what exactly makes your situation unique and why you need specialty equipment that is unlikely to be of practical use to "most" people.  

You are not required to do so, but it will help you to get more helpful answers to your questions, otherwise people are simply going to write you off.  You're crowd-sourcing opinions and advice, and if they don't understand the question (or why you're being so specific about the question) then you're unlikely to get the answers you want.  

If cost is no object, there are options for full armor systems with auxiliary protection, if you've got the scratch and refuse to buy used, TYR Tactical will sell you all that stuff for a full armored system, and give you the option of selecting your level of protection:

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/list/new-ballistic-accessories/plate-carrier-accessories-/

Many of their ballistic accessories even offer plate pockets for hard plates.  

You can try to find the Eagle MSAP kit.  

However, the fact that you're talking AR500 plates makes me think price is very much a factor.

If you want an IOTV... buy a used IOTV.  They're not only available on eBay, but surplus stores, craigslist, etc., have tons of them.  I've been to surplus shops off post that have bins, bins overflowing with IOTV accessories.  You really think if all that stuff was all stolen, it would be allowed to be sold in bulk twenty yards outside of the main gate?  Things fall out of the supply system for a myriad of reasons, many/most are "above the table."  

The simple fact is that if you're not issued it, chances are, you probably don't "need" it.  Not that I consider that a prerequisite for owning it, I don't care what you do with your money, and if you want and can afford an EOD suit, I think you should have it.  I am and have demonstrated on more than one occasion that I'm happy to help anyone out who wants to make sound decisions, regardless of "needs."  But don't delude yourself with fantasies about your "needs" or your "use case" and don't come here acting like it's a matter of immediate life and death that you get exactly what you think you need.  Spout what you want about the inevitable coming breakdown of society and hoards of "undesirables" you face on a day to day basis, the meaning of the word "need" has become stretched to absurdism.  

::sigh::

So what are your unique and "explicit" needs?  If you want the advice of the hive, give us the situation and let us make recommendations based on the "use case," as you put it, rather than coming to us with an arbitrary set of "requirements."  Options have been given to meet those "requirements."  Help us help you.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Part 1
there is a thing called assumptions are a bitch. I know my needs. I have worn armor before with 100LB+ loads. I know my needs. I am not hiking in this shit. Also don't assume what experiences people have or dont have either. I am not validating my credentials here because it isn't needed and stupid to do so. I don't need to stroke my ego like half the people on the internet.

I agree with you on the EOD. If someone wants it they should be able to get it. People can make their own choices. I would love to have one just to have one but i have no need lol or the money for that haha.

I don't now wtf you are smoking on end of world shit. I know my needs and I want/need aux armor at 9mm or IIIa with stomach level III hard plates. I won't be going far in it and if i was going far I would use a different system...again i said end goal is 2 systems....turtle gunner and base plate carrier.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Part 2
AR500 is because 1. Cheap. 2. durable. 3. multi-hit. 4. reputable. 5. "no shelf life". 6. i am sure there are more reasons. I don't need or want ceramic for my use here. I have had ceramic before and i know what it is and i don't need it for this system. That secondary system ceramic would be very nice depending on how i intended to use it. Saving 6lb or whatever with some strings attached is niced but their are cons to ceramic besides just cost. (bulk, multi hit, durability, and more.)

If you got advice on other plates i am all ears. I did like that one plate that floated but its multi hit was kinda weak. It was in some video. I dont think that one plate is made anymore but if you know of good floating plates let me know.

I do not like sharing my needs because people go full fucking retard as this thread has already shown but i want a full body armor set next to my desk/bed that has it all. That is why i liked the siege R optimized...it went on in 5 seconds with all the added shit O.o Thats faster than I could ever get my interceptor on or the module plate carrier or whatever...lol forgot the name.

MAKER
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#32]
You missed my point.  

I was explicit about the fact that you do need to validate either your needs or experience, nor is that even what I suggested you do.  

What is happening is that people do not understand why you think you need what you think you need, and therefore, you are not getting what you feel are appropriate responses to the question.    

At this point, your choices are to write this thread off, because you don't want to have to explain yourself, and you're not getting productive answers, or you can explain your rationale for why you believe you need what you believe you need.  This is not a credentials or experience question, it has more to do with "what problem are you trying to solve?"  

Yes, some people will disagree with your reasoning even then, but it will have two benefits that will likely help you to navigate and figure out what would be best for you:

1. Once people understand how you came to the solution (full, IOTV-style armor rig), they will be better able to help you find something that meets your needs

2. They might have solutions that you have not thought of that would meet your specific needs even better than the initial solution you thought of

None of this is required, and obvious, participation in a forum is voluntary.  If you don't want to give that information, don't, it's just that you may not like all the answers you get.  Coming up swinging because you're not getting the answers you want, and insisting "I know what I need, STFU" is again, your option, but you're not going to change the fact that the answers you get are non-productive.  

Anyways, options have been offered to you, even through the chaff... the real reason that many of these full armor suites are not available to civilians is not because of some sinister plot to deprive civilians of IIIA body armor coverage, but because individual sales are simply not going to justify the added expense of making them commercially available, the distribution channels, the inventory, etc. etc.  Military and LE orders usually come in bulk, making it worthwhile to spin up the resources to manufacture these items.  One and two sales will not, and will probably cause the company more headaches than its worth, largely because the consensus for most individuals is that it's not needed, and not worth their individual investments, either.  

Most companies I know of, if and when they get an order are more than happy to sell overruns of their "military/LE only" gear if they have left overs and if the contract allows them to do so, and many of these "advertised" systems don't even exist per se--a small number have been manufactured to demonstrate them to potential customers, but they're not "production items" that the company keeps inventory of, they will make them when they actually get an order for them.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Dude I would seriously consider what Augee says. He knows a little something about a little something.

Unless the topic is about Eotech. Eotech is his girlfriend. Lol just kidding Augee.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I suppose if I lived or worked in Chiraq, I might consider having the full on IOTV turtlesuit along with some 1/4" AR500 plates duct taped to the inside doors, for running the various roadblocks or for egressing the dangerous neighborhoods in order to unass the AO.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#35]
if you don't wear the neck, arm, or nut pads, a full coverage vest like an IOTV wears much like a plate carrier.  The main difference is that your sides are exposed with the plate carrier.  I commonly see people comparing a fully outfitted IOTV to a stripped down plate carrier and that's not a good comparison

Like mentioned earlier, a medium IOTV only weighs about 2lbs more than a KDH plate carrier (both with only their soft armor panels and without hard plates).  That weight is almost all from the additional soft armor coverage to the sides and upper chest/shoulders
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
if you don't wear the neck, arm, or nut pads, a full coverage vest like an IOTV wears much like a plate carrier.  The main difference is that your sides are exposed with the plate carrier.  I commonly see people comparing a fully outfitted IOTV to a stripped down plate carrier and that's not a good comparison

Like mentioned earlier, a medium IOTV only weighs about 2lbs more than a KDH plate carrier (both with only their soft armor panels and without hard plates).  That weight is almost all from the additional soft armor coverage to the sides and upper chest/shoulders
View Quote

Im pretty sure a stripped interceptor with soft armor is just over 7lbs in medium.

I actually like them
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:42:21 AM EDT
[#37]
@Augee

which would you prefer an IOTV or IMTV? I have worn the MTV but barely remember it.

when i say prefer i mean at base which has better weight distribution?

Which can be put on and taken off faster? (thinking about putting it on in a hurry and taking it off for medical attention) This is the one reason why the Siege R optimized was so tempting but the plastic parts concern me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@Augee

which would you prefer an IOTV or IMTV? I have worn the MTV but barely remember it.

when i say prefer i mean at base which has better weight distribution?

Which can be put on and taken off faster? (thinking about putting it on in a hurry and taking it off for medical attention) This is the one reason why the Siege R optimized was so tempting but the plastic parts concern me.
View Quote

Unfortunately I've never worn the IMTV, so I couldn't give you much feedback on it or how it compares with the IOTV.  Before the KDH carrier, I used to wear my IOTV "modified" to wear more like a plate carrier, and have been on the MBAV train since, though I'm looking hard at Crye options (I'm always several years behind, I'm okay with this) since I've decided to start transitioning as much of my gear to Multicam as possible, and was wanting to replace some things (and MC MBAVs are both hard to find, and ridiculously expensive for what they are when you do, thanks to I guess airsoft cachet?).

FWIW, I've always preferred mobility over armor, on both vehicles and personal body armor, best way to survive a gunshot is to not be where the bullet is.  Obviously I realize that's easier said than done... but most of the heavy armor suits is a result of explosives and fragmentation threats more so than direct fire threats.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#39]
what KDH carrier do you keep referring...they make all the military carriers and like 20 others....
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
what KDH carrier do you keep referring...they make all the military carriers and like 20 others....
View Quote

When folks refer to the KDH, they are almost always referring to the "Magnum TAC-1" SPCS, the Army's Soldier Plate Carrier System, which was introduced for OEF amid long-standing cries and demands for more mobility in the mountainous regions.  

The SPCS was a minor scandal in and of itself when it was introduced in and that KDH was basically an unknown company with no recognition or experience in producing PPE.  The SPCS was selected over the Eagle MBAV, despite the latter having been used by SOF for many many years.  PEO Soldier claimed that the SPCS was selected because it provided more soft armor coverage than the MBAV, but it was strongly suspected of being a product of "not invented here" syndrome.  

The earliest SPCSes were unmitigated disasters, IMHO, and guys were wearing their side plates over their hips.  I've heard that the SPCS has been been improved, but I haven't really followed them much or used any improved versions.  

While KDH now makes a whole bunch of different plate carriers and armor carriers, when referred to in shorthand, "The KDH" generally refers to the SPCS.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#41]
interesting. Now I need to figure out if i want the IOTV, Siege R Optimized, IMTV, MBAV, or something else.

Reading so many things getting confused haha.

From what I can tell IOTV and Siege R are the easiest to get. Unless I am forgetting a place where the MBAV or IMTV is easy to buy new.

What are your thoughts about the plastic holders on vest like the Siege R? Are they durable? I feel if they break the vest is useless and going to flop all over the place. It is like a catch 22 no?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Dude, I'm telling you, if you want a full sized armored carrier, get an RBAV. They're the best deal on the market because they are unopened surplus -- buy the base carrier on ebay, then you get panels like this soft armor and put it in and you have a completely legal, non-stolen vest with ballistic protection for less than you'll spend anywhere else with all the features you are looking for (specifically designed to work with the earlier MBAV/CIRAS MSAP kit). Getting an RBAV shell + soft armor would cost about the same as just the First Spear vest before you buy and put armor in it. Plus, surplus SFLCS and RLCS (special forces load carrying system/ranger load carrying system) pouches are also available for great prices because everyone went from khaki/ranger green to multicam.

The IOTV was issued to standard Army soldiers, IMTV to Marines, the RBAV was made specifically to the specifications of USSOCOM as their armor carrier before they moved mainly to plate carriers.

that's my RBAV -- lighter than the IMTV/IOTV, more comfortable, releasable, internal cummerbund, all the features you keep saying you want, plus right now they are less expensive than any other of the vests mentioned to create a complete armor system.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#43]
so this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDS-BAE-Systems-RBAV-SF-Releasable-Body-Armor-Vest-Ranger-Green-RLCS-Size-MED-/171358756441?hash=item27e5c71e59:g:wC4AAOSw-ndTnOuO

I guess i could just get it for that price and try it out.

IIRC i wore a medium Interceptor so i want a medium RBAV?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
so this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDS-BAE-Systems-RBAV-SF-Releasable-Body-Armor-Vest-Ranger-Green-RLCS-Size-MED-/171358756441?hash=item27e5c71e59:g:wC4AAOSw-ndTnOuO

I guess i could just get it for that price and try it out.

IIRC i wore a medium Interceptor so i want a medium RBAV?
View Quote

yep, same sizing. search on ebay for RLCS to find pouches that will match the Ranger Green
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
RBAV -- think of it as SOCOM's version of the IOTV. It is a full on armor carrier sized vest. ~$100 on ebay for military surplus. Find BALCS inserts for ~$200, throw in your plates and bam you have a full armor system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where could you find BALCS inserts for $200? Would those be used?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#46]
There's vendors on eBay who make custom sized plate backers/Balcs panels for 2-300. If you want to go through a vendor you can get velocity systems or point blank armor for ~450
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
When folks refer to the KDH, they are almost always referring to the "Magnum TAC-1" SPCS, the Army's Soldier Plate Carrier System, which was introduced for OEF amid long-standing cries and demands for more mobility in the mountainous regions.  

The SPCS was a minor scandal in and of itself when it was introduced in and that KDH was basically an unknown company with no recognition or experience in producing PPE.  The SPCS was selected over the Eagle MBAV, despite the latter having been used by SOF for many many years.  PEO Soldier claimed that the SPCS was selected because it provided more soft armor coverage than the MBAV, but it was strongly suspected of being a product of "not invented here" syndrome.  

The earliest SPCSes were unmitigated disasters, IMHO, and guys were wearing their side plates over their hips.  I've heard that the SPCS has been been improved, but I haven't really followed them much or used any improved versions.  

While KDH now makes a whole bunch of different plate carriers and armor carriers, when referred to in shorthand, "The KDH" generally refers to the SPCS.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

~Augee

^^^what he said

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone know the deal with the MBAV?
View Quote

what about it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top