Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Strictly from the legal sense here.....

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R for FRS without a license for GMRS.  your power output, even on low, is too high.

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R on GMRS freqs without a GMRS license.

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R on 2M or 70CM HAM bands without a HAM license.

You CAN use a UV-5R on MURS channels and no license is required.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Isn't there  a "type acceptance" requirement?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Trucker mics on order, have 2 Baofengs (for now) on the way until I decide what to do/which route to go and people can buy whatever they want to pay for. License applied/paid for.

I'm sure havoc will ensue shortly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, which is going strictly by the FCC regs it's illegal to use the Baofeng for pretty much anything but HAM uses.  Again no one is out there kicking down doors to see what kind of radio you are holding.  The guy on the other end won't be able to know if you're using a Baofeng for a radio from the big three or a bubble pack radio.  

No one is going to notice that you're running an extra 3 watts on MURS or even that your radio isn't type certified for MURS to start with.  

1W and 5W is what's advertised....however real world output may vary quite a bit. That's why they are so cheap. IIRC in a head to head test with other HTs in that same power class less than 50% put out what was advertised where as bigger brands like yaseu and Icom were above 90%.

I've got 3 UV-5Rs, 1 BF-F8+, 1 UV-82HP, 4 BF-888s, and one Wouxun KG-UV8D.  They all put out pretty close to advertised power on a Diamond SWR/Power meter.  It varies across the frequency range of each radio but they've all been within +/- 1 watt of speced power on high and pretty much right on the dot on low power.  Example.  On VHF all of my 4 watt radios (most baofengs are 4 watts on high unless you have the HP version) put out between 3.5 and 5.5 watts of power depending on what frequency I'm on.  

Ok, so seeing some success so far (and my friends think I'm some sort of radio genius now. shhhhhh)

Got CHIRP loaded, have a few of the cheap Baofeng's on order just to test them out and go from there. Won't hurt to have a few of the cheaper ones around just incase. Have a CSV file queued up and just waiting on the radios to show up. Already put in the GMRS app and fee.

Now for a few more questions:

- Is there a way to increase the radios output/ability to send receive over distance (i.e. a whip?) or is what I get, what I get and if I want better I need to step up in power?

- Planned on sticking mine in a MBITR pouch and using some sort of corded mic to talk/listen with that can be clipped onto something out of the way. What's normally used for this/what works well?

- Is there a way to get a pair of MSA Sordins with the input cable hole on it to be able to plug in and hear what I am receiving? I know you need some sort of amplifier or something as the volume the MSA receives through that input cable hole is very, very low. I remember someone mentioning this in the past in a previous thread. I don't need a secret squirrel mic boom, just figured since I'm wearing the Sordins anyways, might as well hear through them.

- With MURS or GMRS are there any goofy call signs you are assigned that you need to use, or can you simply talk any way you want over the frequency?

- Is the GMRS license Form 605? Have been searching for how to do it and just keep getting run around bullshit gov sites

You could hook an inline amplifier to the radio if you are using it in a vehicle.  Not really an option on foot and you need to be cognizant of RF exposure.  The "HP" 8 watt radios out there is probably the most power I want that close to my body.  Your best bet on an HT is to get a better antenna.  On VHF/UHF antenna height is king.  The higher you can get your antenna the better since comms on those bands are largely line of sight.  

A Baofeng will disappear into an MBITR pouch those things are huge.  I run mine in a HSGI admin/radio pouch and it's still just a little big but useable.  Someone posted a link to a Baofeng specific pouch earlier that's the only one out there at the moment.  A few folks have built KYDEX baofeng radio pouches but I haven't seen any mass marketed yet.  I assume it's only a matter of time.

You need to go onto the FCCs website and sign up in their Universal Licensing System.  (ULS).  Then you will be able to file for a GMRS license though that site.  I believe there is a paper form but the ULS will be fastest.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home

Edit-MURS does not have callsigns but GMRS does.  Example of a GMRS callsign is WQFX415.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Pouch

Real nice pouch, salty but nice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
this is the UV-5r specific pouch. i am going to get one in the next week or 2 and do a review.

Quoted:
this pouch is designed for the uv-5r

http://762tactical.com/pouches/storage-pouches-packs/molle-compatible-baofeng-uv-5r-radio-pouch-standard-battery.html

i have the uv-5x as my first radio, but it should fit fine.
View Quote

the UV's are just starter/SHTF stash radios for me, and will graduate up to a Yeasu by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, which is going strictly by the FCC regs it's illegal to use the Baofeng for pretty much anything but HAM amateur uses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, which is going strictly by the FCC regs it's illegal to use the Baofeng for pretty much anything but HAM amateur uses.

Incorrect, they are Part 90 type approved for land mobile radio.

Type acceptance is not required for use in the amateur service, but required for a radio marketed for the amateur service. They are not Part 97 type approved for the amateur service.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Type acceptance is not required for use in the amateur service, but required for a radio marketed for the amateur service. They are not Part 97 type approved for the amateur service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Certification.php

The key thing in that link is this

As of January 1, 2013, Part 90 certified radios must include or have available mandatory software that prevents accidental field programming.

Now I'm not sure if that means radios sold/built or granted part 90 prior to Jan 1 2013 are exempt from this ruling they could be I guess but the only Baofeng that has that ability that I know of right now is the UV-82C.  

If you go to the FCC website it shows PART 90 certification for the 5Rs and most of their older radios.  But I just checked my UV-82HP and there's no compliance sticker on the chassis.  I'm pretty sure all my 5Rs have a compliance sticker but I'll have to check when I go out to my bike and check the one I have mounted on there for confirmation.  

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearchResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=500

Edit-as with firearms laws and well most laws in our country this stuff can be highly confusing and easy to screw up and be wrong on.  As I am quite often haha.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Edit: Forgot to quote.. See below.

John
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The UV-5R's are advertised at 4W & 1W.

I went through about 3 of the speaker
mikes, (2 were replaced under warranty).
I would use them for about a month, in my
car, and not stretching the bungie way
out or anything, and they would get some
static & just die.

I have been using my 5R on the front of
HPG chest pack while 4 wheeling. The
little ear piece/mic that comes with the
radios, work great under helmets & ear
muffs. I found out that you can
key the mike with the headset using the
PTT on the radio and not have to search
for the inline PTT. So those are cheap
& easy.

I run a 1/4 wave mag mount in car and
Jeep which gives me way more range
than even an extended HT antenna.

I have also built a few ladder line J poles
for use when backpacking, just for a little
extra security, if needed.

Good radios for the money.

I will order a couple of the 8W versions
soon.

John

Quoted:

Can you set the -5R to 2W?

I really don't know, don't have one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strictly from the legal sense here.....

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R for FRS without a license for GMRS.  your power output, even on low, is too high.

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R on GMRS freqs without a GMRS license.

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R on 2M or 70CM HAM bands without a HAM license.

You CAN use a UV-5R on MURS channels and no license is required.

Can you set the -5R to 2W?

I really don't know, don't have one.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Got everything going.

Only 2 downsides so far were that the generic plastic Baofeng mic was total garbage, and don't but the cheap knockoff programming cable.

Anyone know, if I am on a MURS or GRMS channel, do I need to change the menu setting to UHF/VHF depending which one I'm on, or does it somehow do it itself and/or know what to do?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got everything going.

Only 2 downsides so far were that the generic plastic Baofeng mic was total garbage, and don't but the cheap knockoff programming cable.

Anyone know, if I am on a MURS or GRMS channel, do I need to change the menu setting to UHF/VHF depending which one I'm on, or does it somehow do it itself and/or know what to do?
View Quote

if you programmed it with CHiRP it should know, but wouldn't hurt to try it out.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know why that button is on the radio.  When you punch in a UHF frequency or a VHF frequency the radio changes automatically.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top