Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2016 1:14:30 AM EDT
Not sure if there is anything out there worth my time/money but wanted to see. Out of a group of friends I go shooting/hunting and train with as most are former .mil and we aern't just randomly plinking....comms have come up again and again. Everything from being able to communicate while hunting at night to 'what if'. Funny thing is, some say they'd put the time in to do a HAM license (as I said I'd study with and take the test with all of them) but there are many deer ion headlights looks from the rest. I'm trying.

So instead of dicking around with multiple comms setups is there anything not requiring a HAM license that would reliably work over distances of a few miles? To make that even more complicated, most of the terrain here is desert and cliffs/large hills.

Any suggestions on whats out there?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_10/22_Ham_Radios.html and search with keyword ''GMRS''.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
1) "Ham" is not an acronym, it's slang for amateur radio.

2) Amateur radio is subject to the same laws of physics that govern radio communications in other services.

3) Communications on the VHF/UHF bands, regardless of service, is terrain-limited, with some variations in performance on different bands.

Amateur radio has great flexibility because licensees have available a variety of frequencies in various bands all through the spectrum. They also have access to a large pool of available infrastructure - voice communication repeaters and a location tracking and messaging network - which are generally open for use by all licensees.

The greatest benefit to amateur radio is the ability to build up a lot of knowledge and experience in communications, if one is so inclined. If you are interested in communications, by all means get your amateur license and get on the air.

As far as your group, the question is what exactly are you looking to do? Are you looking for handheld radios, or vehicle mounted? What kind of terrain are you in, is this a fixed location or widely variable locations, and what kind of range do you genuinely need?

The best performance option for personal communications outside of the Amateur Radio Service is the General Mobile Radio Service, usually encountered as the acronym GMRS. GMRS licenses are low cost and allow the use of 8 channels in the UHF range, with up to 5 watts in handheld radios and up to 50 watts with mobile or base radios. Repeaters are also possible, there are some already in place in some areas or you could put up one of your own.

There are some other options depending on exactly what your needs are.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, make sure your friends know that Morse Code is no longer a requirement for a ham license. For the longest time Morse Code was a major barrier to getting the license.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
There is MURS on VHF and GMRS on UHF.

We run GMRS with an effective range of 60 miles end to end mobile, portable gets 40 miles end to end, but that is using a repeater. Each person would need to purchase a license from the FCC. No test required.

There is a growing network of repeaters in the US that many allow you to use.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
GMRS licensing will soon be no fee.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

when is that expected to happen?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I edited my previous comment, they eliminated part of the fee already but there is confusion over whether the rest of the cost will be eliminated also. For now I would presume that the $65 cost will remain in place.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I edited my previous comment, they eliminated part of the fee already but there is confusion over whether the rest of the cost will be eliminated also. For now I would presume that the $65 cost will remain in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There has been talk for a couple years now, I wouldn't hold my breath, if they do away with the fee I would expect they will kill the good part of GMRS and turn it into a complete FRS service.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We run GMRS with an effective range of 60 miles end to end mobile, portable gets 40 miles end to end, but that is using a repeater. Each person would need to purchase a license from the FCC. No test required.

View Quote

Thanks to everyone for the info. Looks like something I could probably 'sell' to them instead of studying for the license.

Is there a benefit to MURS over GMRS? Or since GMRS is UHF it's simply 'better' and don't bother with MURS?

Any suggestions on setups/radios that use GMRS / MURS?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks to everyone for the info. Looks like something I could probably 'sell' to them instead of studying for the license.

Is there a benefit to MURS over GMRS? Or since GMRS is UHF it's simply 'better' and don't bother with MURS?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

The two are not comparable.

MURS allows 2 watts with 5 available simplex frequencies, no license required.

GMRS allows 50 watts with 8 frequencies plus 8 more frequencies with a 5 watt limit, plus repeaters.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

GMRS allows 50 watts with 8 frequencies plus 8 more frequencies with a 5 watt limit, plus repeaters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

So looks like GMRS is what I'd be after.

Any suggestions for quality radios that run GMRS?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Handhelds or mobiles?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

You're going to be hard pressed to find a non bubble pack GMRS handheld that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, A big advantage of non FRS radios is the ability to use some kind of external antenna.  If it was me I "wouldn't" pick up some Chinese HTs and maybe a mobile if you're going that route and I "wouldn't" program them for FRS/GMRS/MURS...............................
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Handhelds or mobiles?
View Quote

Handhelds
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're going to be hard pressed to find a non bubble pack GMRS handheld that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, A big advantage of non FRS radios is the ability to use some kind of external antenna.  If it was me I "wouldn't" pick up some Chinese HTs and maybe a mobile if you're going that route and I "wouldn't" program them for FRS/GMRS/MURS...............................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

You mean like not doing this? http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f5/hack-turns-walkie-talkie-into-ham-frs-gmrs-marine-business-radio-20617/

And is there any legality with not doing it...
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You mean like not doing this? http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f5/hack-turns-walkie-talkie-into-ham-frs-gmrs-marine-business-radio-20617/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll translate from subtle to beat you over the head with a frying pan.

Buy a Baofeng UV-5R for under $30 on Amazon, a programing cable for a few bucks at the same time, and program it with CHiRP (free program) for MURS and GMRS.  They also make a mobile radio you can install in a vehicle or have as a base station in your home.

Baofeng also makes a new version of the UV-5R that puts out 8W, however it costs more and at that point you might as well step up to a Yaseu FT-60 and get a radio that will last longer and perform better.  The only reason I like UV-5R's is they're cheap and they get people into HAM radio at a low price point.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Buy a Baofeng UV-5R for under $30 on Amazon, a programing cable for a few bucks at the same time, and program it with CHiRP (free program) for MURS and GMRS.  They also make a mobile radio you can install in a vehicle or have as a base station in your home.

Baofeng also makes a new version of the UV-5R that puts out 8W, however it costs more and at that point you might as well step up to a Yaseu FT-60 and get a radio that will last longer and perform better.  The only reason I like UV-5R's is they're cheap and they get people into HAM radio.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Baofeng also makes a new version of the UV-5R that puts out 8W, however it costs more and at that point you might as well step up to a Yaseu FT-60 and get a radio that will last longer and perform better.  The only reason I like UV-5R's is they're cheap and they get people into HAM radio.  

lol thanks. I knew what you were getting at, just wasn't sure if there was a legality issue with it hence why you were 'not' suggesting to do something
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
lol thanks. I knew what you were getting at, just wasn't sure if there was a legality issue with it hence why you were 'not' suggesting to do something
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MURS is free just keep the radio on low power IIRC, GMRS you have to pay for the license

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, dont mean to hijack, but I am in the same boat as you, know for a fact that family are not going to study to take the test and guess the GMRS is the only way. @ASRM, That type of setup you have is what I am looking for, can you share with us the equipment you use? And also how can I find repeaters around my area that support GMRS.... Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:And also how can I find repeaters around my area that support GMRS.... Thanks!
View Quote

Google, radio clubs, and/or repeater books
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

OP, dont mean to hijack, but I am in the same boat as you, know for a fact that family are not going to study to take the test and guess the GMRS is the only way. @ASRM, That type of setup you have is what I am looking for, can you share with us the equipment you use? And also how can I find repeaters around my area that support GMRS.... Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have at it, I'm interested as well even though the Baofeng idea above is probably the best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The study guides are $25, the test is $15, and you can get a Baofeng handheld for $30.

If someone isn't willing to spend a weekend reading a book to take a $15 test, they're probably not going to worth much to you should the time come that you need to communicate via alternate means.

Just tell them to suck it up, or they're out of the club.

I tried to get a group of friends together to all get BOB sorted out, and they couldn't even reply to the email to tell me what to buy for them.  At some point you just gotta do your own thing and leave them behind.

Doing your entry level amateur radio test is a cake walk and opens up a lot of doors.  Just do it and you'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:And also how can I find repeaters around my area that support GMRS.... Thanks!

I am aware of  https://www.repeaterbook.com/ but I think this is only for ham?

ETA: found
https://www.mygmrs.com/browse
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#25]
MURS is under utilized.  FRS and GMRS get used a lot due to bubble pack radios.  GMRS with a license does allow a repeater.  VHF and UHF need a repeater to cover county wide comms.  

Drove from central Ohio to costal North Carolina and only heard two box stores and some trailer to truck data on MURS channel 1.  We used it for convoy comms. I'm the only one with a Ham Ticket.  

ETA: MURS is license free.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#26]
You can also grab some old Nextel phones and use "Direct Talk" within a mile or two; may be a workable "ultra-low-budget" comms option.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

MURS is free just keep the radio on low power IIRC, GMRS you have to pay for the license

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The UV-5R is capable of transmitting on GMRS and FRS, but the minimum power output is too high to legally do FRS.

They're insanely popular (unlicensed and illegal) with airsofters.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a post back in October where I listed the gear I bought GMRS Repeater Up

I ran the system at my house through the winter, it was to be our SHTF setup and wanted something that I had 100% control and access. After a few months, while range was acceptable, we could get 3-5 miles from a portable to the repeater, it was not what I liked for an "Officer Safety" range.

I ended up getting with a local 2 way shop, I dealt with him back in the 80's, and after some chumming up and going to work there I was able to grab a slot on his tower, it's 250 feet up, I am at 220 feet on the east side with a 9 DBd omni antenna with 7/8 hardline. My "Officer Safety" range was like night and day. Portables can be 20 miles away outdoors and hit the repeater on full quieting. Inside a car or house it drops to 15 miles + or -.

Mobiles are just solid 30 miles out.

I went the commercial radio route, I found some used Motorola radios from a company in Colorado, PM400's and Astro Sabers, all had for 100-150 each. The repeater and antenna and hardline were the major expense, figure $800+ to get a repeater and basic antenna.

To get on someone's tower you can probably expect to pay $100 to 300 a month depending on height, that doesn't include the antenna and labor.

There are shared repeaters all over the US, as someone else posted, myGMRS.com is the place to go, but you will need your GMRS FCC current license to view repeaters and such.

For me, it's a great tool, we use it everyday, testing out system for that someday event, which will we hope never happen. I have used them to travel with friends, beats an FRS radio. I also picked up some VHF Hi units and placed on MURS and use P25 on certain channels.

I would suggest you look into used commercial gear, it will last longer, sound better and if you program them right listen to your local PD's if they operate on that band. I listen to 90% of the PD's in my area on our radios. I also have bought new commercial gear recently and the prices are also decent. It helps since I work at a shop that sells new and used gear.

Anyone interested in knowing more is welcome to PM me. For a non-Ham setup with some county-wide range, GMRS is the way to go, or MURS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#29]
i got my ham radio license because i wanted it but plan to outfit my group with MURS channels, however GRMS is on the radio since the license covers families, too.

ham radio test was pretty easy. hamexam.org is what got me through it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The UV-5R is capable of transmitting on GMRS and FRS, but the minimum power output is too high to legally do FRS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well don't froget that the first 7 FRS channels are shared with GMRS, so if you have a GMRS license there's no need to program in FRS freqs unless you want to dial back on the power output.  Bubble pack FRS radios put out a max of 0.5W.  

You also forgot how they're insanely popular with the threeper/3per/3% (aka modern militia) crowds.  You can also see them in the news in the Ukraine and with some terrorist groups in the middle east.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
MURS on some older commercial gear may work out well for you

GMRS would work also but without licenses you're not going to be able to use any repeaters that may (probably won't be) in the area

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#32]
It took the FCC almost 10 years to actually do something about a couple of well known offenders on the HF side of the house.  In those almost 10 years they got something like 14 letters from the FCC to basically stop what they are doing which they apparently ignored.

While by the letter of the FCC regs these radios aren't certified for the various free bands, if you think the FCC is going to come after you for using little 4 or 5 or even 8 watt handhelds on those bands you might be a bit paranoid.  

Heck there's hordes of unlicensed folks running around the California desert with 50+ watt mobiles in their sand rails and Jeeps.  

If the FCC really cared they'd be able to sit out there and write tickets all day every day or go to one of the dozen large Airsoft (MILSIM) events going on around the country involving hundreds of people per event on a given month and boost their budgets in no time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It took the FCC almost 10 years to actually do something about a couple of well known offenders on the HF side of the house.  In those almost 10 years they got something like 14 letters from the FCC to basically stop what they are doing which they apparently ignored.

While by the letter of the FCC regs these radios aren't certified for the various free bands, if you think the FCC is going to come after you for using little 4 or 5 or even 8 watt handhelds on those bands you might be a bit paranoid.  

Heck there's hordes of unlicensed folks running around the California desert with 50+ watt mobiles in their sand rails and Jeeps.  

If the FCC really cared they'd be able to sit out there and write tickets all day every day or go to one of the dozen large Airsoft (MILSIM) events going on around the country involving hundreds of people per event on a given month and boost their budgets in no time.
View Quote

guys like this keep them in check...

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Was looking at the CHIRP program and its pretty straight forward.

I see if programs a list that includes FRS, MURS, GMRS, Weather and HAM channels.

Quick question:

- I am assuming I can't get on the HAM frequencies without a HAM license?

- FRS, MURS, GMRS (with the FCC license) is free for me to use at will?

- Some channels say ' GMRS -1 tone/squelch' what does that mean and what is it used for/how is it used?

Thanks so far, have learned alot in this thread. Looks like I'll grab one of the nicer Yaesu radios and let the friends grab whatever model they want to pay for.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Tone Squelch is also known as "privacy channels" on the bubble pack radios.  They are anything but and IMO a nuisance for most folks unless you are trying to run a repeater or know for certain your frequency is clear.  

Basically the radio transmits a tone that you can't hear but the other radio is "listening" for.  The other radio will not open the squelch (open the channel) unless it hears the tone it's programmed to hear.  I will say it helps keep unwanted noise/static down but you can just adjust your squelch setting to take care of that.    Personally I suggest that people ignore the tone squelch crap unless you are going to be doing repeater operations or for whatever reason what you're doing requires it.

You can get on HAM frequencies without a license but it's a good way to highlight yourself and get some retired old man that's HAM operator to go out on a "fox hunt" and find you.  Stay off of HAM frequencies unless you have a license.  Out of sight out of mind type of deal.

FRS and MURS are free fire zones.  GMRS requires the license.  Talking on the "regular" 8 GMRS channels you will not be noticed because so many people use the bubble pack radios with no license but if you start walking on people's GMRS repeater frequencies and they may try to track you down.  If you happen to have a GMRS repeater in your area it's most likely a "pay to play" type thing.  I don't know of any free to all GMRS repeaters.

DODOBROWN I play airsoft a bit on and off and I've seen guys larger than him on the field.  They are rare though.  It is a physically demanding game if you want to not get shot a lot and most guys are not heavy.  One of my older friends back in Texas lost 40 lbs in a month when he first started playing.  I need to get out more but right now I may make a game every 2 or 3 months :(
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tone Squelch is also known as "privacy channels" on the bubble pack radios.  They are anything but and IMO a nuisance for most folks unless you are trying to run a repeater or know for certain your frequency is clear.  

Basically the radio transmits a tone that you can't hear but the other radio is "listening" for.  The other radio will not open the squelch (open the channel) unless it hears the tone it's programmed to hear.  I will say it helps keep unwanted noise/static down but you can just adjust your squelch setting to take care of that.    Personally I suggest that people ignore the tone squelch crap unless you are going to be doing repeater operations or for whatever reason what you're doing requires it.

IT IS ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO get on HAM frequencies AND TRANSMIT without a license but it's a good way to highlight yourself and get some retired old man that's HAM operator to go out on a "fox hunt" and find you.  Stay off of HAM frequencies unless you have a license.  Out of sight out of mind type of deal.

FRS and MURS are free fire zones.  GMRS requires the license, AND IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE THE GMRS ONLY FREQUENCIES WITHOUT A LICENSE.  Talking on the "regular" 8 GMRS channels you will not be noticed because so many people use the bubble pack radios with no license but if you start walking on people's GMRS repeater frequencies and they may try to track you down.  If you happen to have a GMRS repeater in your area it's most likely a "pay to play" type thing.  I don't know of any free to all GMRS repeaters.

DODOBROWN I play airsoft a bit on and off and I've seen guys larger than him on the field.  They are rare though.  It is a physically demanding game if you want to not get shot a lot and most guys are not heavy.  One of my older friends back in Texas lost 40 lbs in a month when he first started playing.  I need to get out more but right now I may make a game every 2 or 3 months :(
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Strictly from the legal sense here.....

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R for FRS without a license for GMRS.  your power output, even on low, is too high.

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R on GMRS freqs without a GMRS license.

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R on 2M or 70CM HAM bands without a HAM license.

You CAN use a UV-5R on MURS channels and no license is required.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You CANNOT legally use a UV-5R for FRS without a license for GMRS.  your power output, even on low, is too high.

View Quote

Can you set the -5R to 2W?

I really don't know, don't have one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, so seeing some success so far (and my friends think I'm some sort of radio genius now. shhhhhh)

Got CHIRP loaded, have a few of the cheap Baofeng's on order just to test them out and go from there. Won't hurt to have a few of the cheaper ones around just incase. Have a CSV file queued up and just waiting on the radios to show up. Already put in the GMRS app and fee.

Now for a few more questions:

- Is there a way to increase the radios output/ability to send receive over distance (i.e. a whip?) or is what I get, what I get and if I want better I need to step up in power?

- Planned on sticking  mine in a MBITR pouch and using some sort of corded mic to talk/listen with that can be clipped onto something out of the way. What's normally used for this/what works well?

- Is there a way to get a pair of MSA Sordins with the input cable hole on it to be able to plug in and hear what I am receiving? I know you need some sort of amplifier or something as the volume the MSA receives through that input cable hole is very, very low. I remember someone mentioning this in the past in a previous thread. I don't need a secret squirrel mic boom, just figured since I'm wearing the Sordins anyways, might as well hear through them.

- With MURS or GMRS are there any goofy call signs you are assigned that you need to use, or can you simply talk any way you want over the frequency?

- Is the GMRS license Form 605? Have been searching for how to do it and just keep getting run around bullshit gov sites
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#40]
this comms topics sound awfully like the 922r topics on other forums.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok, so seeing some success so far (and my friends think I'm some sort of radio genius now. shhhhhh)

Got CHIRP loaded, have a few of the cheap Baofeng's on order just to test them out and go from there. Won't hurt to have a few of the cheaper ones around just incase. Have a CSV file queued up and just waiting on the radios to show up. Already put in the GMRS app and fee.

- Is there a way to increase the radios output/ability to send receive over distance (i.e. a whip?) or is what I get, what I get and if I want better I need to step up in power?

- Planned on sticking  mine in a MBITR pouch and using some sort of corded mic to talk/listen with that can be clipped onto something out of the way. What's normally used for this/what works well?

- Is there a way to get a pair of MSA Sordins with the input cable hole on it to be able to plug in and hear what I am receiving? I know you need some sort of amplifier or something as the volume the MSA receives through that input cable hole is very, very low. I remember someone mentioning this in the past in a previous thread. I don't need a secret squirrel mic boom, just figured since I'm wearing the Sordins anyways, might as well hear through them.

- With MURS or GMRS are there any goofy call signs you are assigned that you need to use, or can you simply talk any way you want over the frequency?

- Is the GMRS license Form 605? Have been searching for how to do it and just keep getting run around bullshit gov sites
View Quote

The antenna makes a bigger difference than the transmit power, generally speaking.  A larger whip or roll up portable antenna can really boost the range of a handheld.  I have a handheld in my car plugged into a 1/4 wave magnetic mount antenna and I can hit repeaters 10 miles and further out with it.

The MBITR pouch is way too big for most of these little HT's like the Baofeng.  Look at something more this size:
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-HHR-Pouch/dp/B00CZA396U

There are electrical diagrams for building an adapter to work the way you want, but I haven't come across anything commercially available, myself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1W and 5W is what's advertised....however real world output may vary quite a bit. That's why they are so cheap. IIRC in a head to head test with other HTs in that same power class less than 50% put out what was advertised where as bigger brands like yaseu and Icom were above 90%.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#43]
OP if you get a baofeng get a trucker mic from them as well and add a 3.5mm male to male cable to your cart at the same time. There's an audio out plug on the bottom of the mic. You use the 3.5mm cable to plug into your headset. IDK about the volume thing though, this will just get you plugged into your headset.

As for a pouch. Use a grenade pouch or maxpedition used to make a smal HT pouch aimed at search and rescue types. That would be another good choice. The body of these radios is about the same size as a pack of cigarettes, just a little taller. If you get the extended battery (not needed really as the stock will last a LONG time) then you will need a different pouch. A smoke grenade pouch will probably fit it then.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The antenna makes a bigger difference than the transmit power, generally speaking.  A larger whip or roll up portable antenna can really boost the range of a handheld.  I have a handheld in my car plugged into a 1/4 wave magnetic mount antenna and I can hit repeaters 10 miles and further out with it.

The MBITR pouch is way too big for most of these little HT's like the Baofeng.  Look at something more this size:

There are electrical diagrams for building an adapter to work the way you want, but I haven't come across anything commercially available, myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either I'm not looking at this right, or would this work as the adapter? Looks to have the correct single pin.

http://srstactical.com/all-products/communication-headsets-and-kits/audio-lead-for-tp120-connector-headsets.html

RGR on the pouch, I have a ton of different pouches, just wasn't sure how big the baofeng was and was hoping it would fit in my Crye 5.56/MBITR pouch. I'm sure I have something for it to fit into.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Antenna is HUUUGE in communications.

That said, an increase in power along with an antenna does help. I would really suggest just getting some mobile radios for your vehicles rather than try to connect handhelds to outside antennas etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Either I'm not looking at this right, or would this work as the adapter? Looks to have the correct single pin.
http://srstactical.com/all-products/communication-headsets-and-kits/audio-lead-for-tp120-connector-headsets.html
View Quote

No, that's to hook into a Peltor/Sordin communications headset down lead.  Unless your Sordin's have a boom mic attached that will do nothing for you.

ETA

Here's your shopping cart spoon feed for what I was describing earlier....because I'm feeling nice for once and not like my usual cunt self .

This HT/radio with THIS MIC and SOMETHING LIKE THIS 3.5MM CABLE (2ft is more than enough) and lastly THIS PROGRAMMING CABLE so you can use CHiRP.  The stock antenna is OK, but not great, and will work for the time being so you can get your feet wet and see how far you want to go with this.  It only gets more expensive from this point forwards.  As has been said before you can also get a mag mount antenna for your car and hook it into this HT (with the antenna mounted onto the roof of your car of course) and you will get better results.  

and THIS RADIO POUCH is what I was talking about earlier.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, that's to hook into a Peltor/Sordin communications headset down lead.  Unless your Sordin's have a boom mic attached that will do nothing for you.

ETA

Here's your shopping cart spoon feed for what I was describing earlier....because I'm feeling nice for once and not like my usual cunt self .

This HT/radio with THIS MIC and SOMETHING LIKE THIS 3.5MM CABLE (2ft is more than enough) and lastly THIS PROGRAMMING CABLE so you can use CHiRP.  The stock antenna is OK, but not great, and will work for the time being so you can get your feet wet and see how far you want to go with this.  It only gets more expensive from this point forwards.  As has been said before you can also get a mag mount antenna for your car and hook it into this HT (with the antenna mounted onto the roof of your car of course) and you will get better results.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

lol thanks

I have the 3.5mm cable because I wanted to play music from my ipod into my Sordin's but the volume I get in the Sordin's from the input is ridiculously low; even on full volume its a whisper at best (the input, not the ambient sounds). I remember somewhere reading about needing some sort of amplifier or something to boost whatever comes in through the Sordins, I have the MSA Sordin Supreme if that matters. Any idea about this?

eta - from another forum - "MSI, makes the NEXUS PTT/adaptors for most popular FRS radio units. You will however need to find amplified versions. There is a guy on ebay who sells them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amplify-Nexu...72cc0#ht_0wt_0.

I've got two with one more on the way. They are a must. The SORDINS were designed to run off MIL comms which have built in microphone amplification. The FRS, and just about all CIVI radios don't. "

The ones linked seem to be the wrong plug for the Sordin's I have. Does this exist in the 3.5mm plug?

eta - Wait, maybe this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPLIFY-Nexus-U-94-A-PTT-for-YAESU-VX6R-7R-FT-VX-Series-3-5MM-Screw-Thread-Gr-A-/171258719255?hash=item27dfd0ac17:g:WYYAAOSwwbdWGoSJ

I was wanting to be able to talk via the trucker mic, and listen via the Sordins. Would this do that?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

lol thanks

I have the 3.5mm cable because I wanted to play music from my ipod into my Sordin's but the volume I get in the Sordin's from the input is ridiculously low; even on full volume its a whisper at best (the input, not the ambient sounds). I remember somewhere reading about needing some sort of amplifier or something to boost whatever comes in through the Sordins, I have the MSA Sordin Supreme if that matters. Any idea about this?

eta - from another forum - "MSI, makes the NEXUS PTT/adaptors for most popular FRS radio units. You will however need to find amplified versions. There is a guy on ebay who sells them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amplify-Nexu...72cc0#ht_0wt_0.

I've got two with one more on the way. They are a must. The SORDINS were designed to run off MIL comms which have built in microphone amplification. The FRS, and just about all CIVI radios don't. "

The ones linked seem to be the wrong plug for the Sordin's I have. Does this exist in the 3.5mm plug?

eta - Wait, maybe this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPLIFY-Nexus-U-94-A-PTT-for-YAESU-VX6R-7R-FT-VX-Series-3-5MM-Screw-Thread-Gr-A-/171258719255?hash=item27dfd0ac17:g:WYYAAOSwwbdWGoSJ

I was wanting to be able to talk via the trucker mic, and listen via the Sordins. Would this do that?
View Quote

Nope won't work either....and would be silly since you have zero use for that PTT on there and the female plug type is for communications headsets

IMHO, just use a set of cheap earbuds and put it in one of your ears under the Sordins.  You'll still be able to "hear through" the ear buds, worst case you just need to dial the volume up a little bit on them.  You basically would want to buy a portable headphone amplifier off Amazon (better return policy than ebay if you buy stuff actually sold by amazon and not 3rd party).  If you really want to hear on just the headset alone it's going to get very expensive and awkward...as in over $100 expensive and you're going to start becoming a spaghetti monster of cables.  If you get to the point where this is something you want to persue further you'll probably end up buying a comms headset and modifying it to work with civilian radios (see the tacked thread in this forum).  Think of this as more of a proof of concept test to see if you are really going to use it.  If you find you do then pony up the money for a kenwood plug amplified PTT and a comms headset.  

TLDR:

<cunt mode engage> just buy some friggin headphones to plug into the trucker mic ya idjit!!! </cunt mode>
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#49]
this pouch is designed for the uv-5r

http://762tactical.com/pouches/storage-pouches-packs/molle-compatible-baofeng-uv-5r-radio-pouch-standard-battery.html

i have the uv-5x as my first radio, but it should fit fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#50]
So I'm still trying to learn HAM lingo, my father in law is licensed and also teaches the classes I just need to go do it sometime. My wife is actually licensed so that was cool to find out.

I spied this while looking at some of the older PRC units and stuff (really not sure what you could do with one but they look awesome)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MILITARY-PARABOLIC-FOLDING-ANTENNA-COMMUNICATION-THALES-RACAL-U-K-/252381061615?hash=item3ac31561ef:g:z5cAAOSwiYFXGTwl

This is fucking cool. I have no clue what you could hook it up to, but how of these have you guys ever seen?

Saw some guy had a Thales unit for 3,000.00. I was under the impression that those were illegal to own?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top