Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2016 1:24:44 AM EDT
Hello!

So the other day me and a very close friend were out doing a little shooting and moving.  My buddy had his rifle slung to his back and was shooting with his pistol, finished the drill and holstered the pistol and went to run to the next point in the drill and ended up tripping in a pretty deep hole in the ground and going face first and took a 8 pound AK to the back of the head at full speed...  So it got me thinking- how realistic is it for a civilian to have a helmet for cases like this?  I feel more compelled seeing this happen in person than i originally thought...  It was always one of those things like if I got a helmet people would basically make fun of because you were a wannabe tacticool operator.  

So that being said- any suggestions on a helmet?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I would't get a ballistic helmet just for that.

If you're clumsy, wear a bike helmet.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

this lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Problem also could have been avoided by not slinging the rifle on his back and keeping it on his front, controlling it with his off hand, or employing a weapons catch.

If he, or you, still wants a helmet get a skateboarding helmet.  No need for a ballistic one for this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting a descent helmet now also gives you a solid platform for your NVG later.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a bump helmet as a civilian. Planning to buy a ballistic helmet when I can finally figure out which one I want.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a bump helmet, but really only because I have NVG's.  I agree with the above posts about weapons control, he made his bed.

But if you want a helmet get the helmet.  Armor or bump, own it if you like it.  Most of the things we tend to buy don't fill "needs" anyway.  Who the hell needs a $700 phone?  Get what you want, rant over.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I was on the fence about this too, not for that reason but also wondered if it would be "too much". I found a heck of a deal and couldn't turn it down. It's a great option for NVG's and other things. I personally can't afford PVS's right now, But I can afford a Go-Pro mount and that could be fun. I would not use it for the aforementioned reason though. Go with the front sling like said above
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

What KB6 said.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a bump helmet, but really only because I have NVG's.  I agree with the above posts about weapons control, he made his bed.

But if you want a helmet get the helmet.  Armor or bump, own it if you like it.  Most of the things we tend to buy don't fill "needs" anyway.  Who the hell needs a $700 phone?  Get what you want, rant over.
View Quote

I have a ballistic helmet I use with my NVGs but it's heavy and gives me a headache after an hour or so. Get whichever type you want, but just know it's about as fun as wearing armor all day.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#10]
That's the Starship Troopers helmet myth (where Rico got punished for one of his guys taking his helmet off and then getting shot at an upward angle that the helmet would have done exactly nothing to stop anyway)

Unless you're going to wear a form fitting helmet like a motorcycle or fighter-pilot helmet there isn't anything that a helmet would do.

Problem can be prevented by walking the training site before you start to make sure there aren't any gopher holes or huge ruts, or if there are you are at least aware of them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
We wear helmets when we ride a bike, go climbing, play sports, etc... I don't see why doing tactical drills should be any different. Honestly never understood why it's fine to wear every other piece of gear but somehow wearing a helmet makes you a tacticool mall ninja wannabe.

I have a ballistic helmet. I rarely wear it and doubt I'll ever need it but it's there if need be. Main use is for NV but the bump and ballistic protection is a nice Benifit too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The reason ballistic helmets get ridiculed is that they are absolute overkill.
motorcycle/bike/sports helmets protect from impacts that are decently likely to occur.

At a static range, the chances of sustaining an injury the ballistic helmet is designed to mitigate is pretty much zero. The place you want to be wearing a ballistic helmet in the civvy world is if you're blowing shit up with tannerite..... and there are no videos of that happening.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Ballistic helmets have their place and so do bump helmets.  I use a protec skateboard helmet because I don't really see the need for ballistic protection in that area.  I will most likely get shot in the face and ballistic helmets are level IIIA which do not stop rifle rounds.  And if I were to get hit on any part of the helmet it will most likely put me out of the fight.  I'm also an Army veteran that used the old PASGT with the uncomfortable head band inside.  I've never looked back.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ballistic helmets have their place and so do bump helmets.  I use a protec skateboard helmet because I don't really see the need for ballistic protection in that area.  I will most likely get shot in the face and ballistic helmets are level IIIA which do not stop rifle rounds.  And if I were to get hit on any part of the helmet it will most likely put me out of the fight.  I'm also an Army veteran that used the old PASGT with the uncomfortable head band inside.  I've never looked back.
View Quote

I've got a protec for doing stupid stuff that might result in head injury, but I went with the PT Bravo Half Shell so I can use earpro and get a good behind-the-neck retention strap.

I tried their skate helmets; wasn't impressed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
motorcycle/bike/sports helmets protect from impacts that are decently likely to occur.

At a static range, the chances of sustaining an injury the ballistic helmet is designed to mitigate is pretty much zero. The place you want to be wearing a ballistic helmet in the civvy world is if you're blowing shit up with tannerite..... and there are no videos of that happening.
View Quote

Another thing to consider is your budget. If you are on a budget your want the most bang for your buck and prob should be buying based on most realistic need, for most civilians that's prob a bump helmet, but if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket buy whatever you want too, even if it's just because your think it's cool
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
In my world ballistic is overkill and a bike helmet isn't enough. I have a ProTec Bravo and it's "ok" but you need to spend money to improve the crappy suspension.

I ended up with a Team Wendy Bump helmet because I have NVDs and the comfort is rated better than the OpsCore.

ETA - I think having NVDs is a good excuse for having a helmet, which I probably wouldn't otherwise find the need to own.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a firm believer in bump helmets for most peoples uses.  I have a helmet for nealy everything I do.  Shooting and mine exploring I have a bump helmet I also use this for odd stuff like being on top of the house and sometimes working under my Jeep if I keep bumping my head on stuff.  For motorcycles I have my Shoei and for autocross I have a lower cost motorcycle helmet because it doesn't get used much.  

Things happen, people fall down, people slip and fall and sometimes you stand up when you're still under an overhang.  My cheapo little bump helmet has saved my noggin on more than one occasion.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In my world ballistic is overkill and a bike helmet isn't enough. I have a ProTec Bravo and it's "ok" but you need to spend money to improve the crappy suspension.

I ended up with a Team Wendy Bump helmet because I have NVDs and the comfort is rated better than the OpsCore.

ETA - I think having NVDs is a good excuse for having a helmet, which I probably wouldn't otherwise find the need to own.
View Quote

What did you end up doing to improve the ProTec suspension?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Another thing to consider is your budget. If you are on a budget your want the most bang for your buck and prob should be buying based on most realistic need, for most civilians that's prob a bump helmet, but if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket buy whatever you want too, even if it's just because your think it's cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're going with un-rated airsoft helmets, you can get a used ACH off ebay for within $20 of what you'll spend for a bump helmet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oregon Aero kit
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oregon Aero kit

Does that end up covering the vent holes?

I've got a Opscore ACH Head-Loc (size XL) that won't fit my 2XL PT Bravo, so I'm hesitant.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Unless you're going with un-rated airsoft helmets, you can get a used ACH off ebay for within $20 of what you'll spend for a bump helmet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACH is a good helmet too. While it offers ballistic protection it is quite lacking in comfort and it's heavy. If you're on a budget I guess you have to decide to I want a lightweight bump helmet or do I go with a ACH for ballistic protection. Or save up the cash and get a ops-core, TW, airframe, etc... Lightweight ballistic helmet and have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ACH is a good helmet too. While it offers ballistic protection it is quite lacking in comfort and it's heavy. If you're on a budget I guess you have to decide to I want a lightweight bump helmet or do I go with a ACH for ballistic protection. Or save up the cash and get a ops-core, TW, airframe, etc... Lightweight ballistic helmet and have the best of both worlds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other words,

Though back to the OP's point, nothing wrong with wearing a helmet. Anytime I do something that might involve a head impact, I grab a helmet. Not fashionable, but a brain injury would suck.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've got a Opscore ACH Head-Loc (size XL) that won't fit my 2XL PT Bravo, so I'm hesitant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oregon Aero kit

The holes are mostly unaffected.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We wear helmets when we ride a bike, go climbing, play sports, etc... I don't see why doing tactical drills should be any different. Honestly never understood why it's fine to wear every other piece of gear but somehow wearing a helmet makes you a tacticool mall ninja wannabe.

View Quote

Well in this instance that the OP mentioned, it all could have been avoided with proper weapons retention/management.  A 2 point sling like a V-TAC can be adjusted up tight so you can keep the weapon secured, on your front, rather than slinging it to the rear.  Honestly there's no reason why the OP's friend should have slung the rifle across his back.

As far as the helmet making you a tacticool mall ninja wannabe.  Maybe if you dress up in your multicam/kryptek/flavor of the month uniform, your chest rig/PC, and helmet just to go to the range where you shoot from a static point....then yeah you're a tacticool mall ninja wannabe.  Seen that exact situation before at a public range.  It was quite hilarious, and also quite sad at the same time.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found an OPS_Core H harness on amazon for $15
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No freaking way that's a real one, if it is you have stupid good luck. A real one will cost you around $60.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fake. I made the mistake of googling ACH accessories... Not one legit part on there. The ARC rails, made for air soft and super crappy apparently.

Pretty much the only place I was able to find a wide swath of choices were here.
https://tnvc.com/
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Snowboarding helmets work well, mine came with a removable insulator so it's not a sweatbox during the warmer months. Ballistic helmets are a very important accessory for battlefields, but when bullets and shrapnel are not your main risk there are cheaper, lighter, cooler options available.

This thread makes me want to attend a tactical carbine class with a pith helmet, though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Everybody has come to the table with really good points-  I like the idea of having a helmet JIC, maybe in a go bag... but for typical static range is basically laughable.  I have used a helmet for snowboarding, dirt bikes, and climbing...  We do to increase our survivability in those situations, I don't see why it is much different to have a helmet for "other situations"

I have been tossing around the Team Wendy LTP or the United Shield SRS bump helmet...  I will keep doing research, and decide if it for me or not.

Thanks for the valuable input
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#32]
You can always get an Ops Core FAST Bump Helmet. It has all the cool-guy features, but is cheap ($270) in comparison to the FAST Carbon Helmet ($750) or the FAST Ballistic ($1300).

https://tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-fast-base-jump-shell/

BTW; TNVC is a sponsor and well-respected vendor here. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Everybody has come to the table with really good points-  I like the idea of having a helmet JIC, maybe in a go bag... but for typical static range is basically laughable.  I have used a helmet for snowboarding, dirt bikes, and climbing...  We do to increase our survivability in those situations, I don't see why it is much different to have a helmet for "other situations"

I have been tossing around the Team Wendy LTP or the United Shield SRS bump helmet...  I will keep doing research, and decide if it for me or not.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242214/89298.GIF

Yea, please do not buy from team Wendy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top