Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2016 9:46:06 AM EDT
Daeodon - Daeodon is an extinct genus of entelodont artiodactyl that inhabited North America between 29 to 19 million years ago during the late Oligocene and early Miocene epochs.

OR

A really KICK ASS Plate Carrier from ESSTAC!!!

I give you…… The ESSTAC DAEODON !

True to form, ESSTAC has produced some of the best made custom gear on the planet, bar none. Over the years, I have reviewed several pieces of Gear from Stu on this board and others. His gear is nothing short of fantastic and is specifically designed with input from end users from Law Enforcement and Military alike. He takes his designs to another level of functionality and comfort. The designs are Solid and built to withstand the rigors of real world everyday use and abuse. In the more than 10 years I have been using ESSTAC gear I have never had a piece of Gear fail or completely wear out to the point it could not be used.
I have been after Stu for several years to start making a PC, but distracted by keeping up with demand on his many products and other projects like “fun with Form 1’s”, his time was limited. Stu finally gave in though.

The initial project was started because Stu was making custom cummerbund panels/ front flaps utilizing his popular and successful KYWI pouch design that could be adapted to the emerging number of PC’s on the market. The quick disconnect design on the front allows for the addition of Chest rigs or mag panels that attach directly to the vest.  I have always been a fan of this type of attachment as was evident in my many posts on the ESSTAC IBERIAN Chest rig. I have never been a fan of attaching pouches via PALS directly to a PC or other armor vest. There are too many times when it is necessary to remove gear but retain Armor protection in the real world and in my option this is the best way to accomplish it. Load up or load down but maintain the same armor protection either way.
The DAEODON is laid out very similar to other designs on the market with the exception of a few modernizations.
The biggest area of improvement and modernization centers on the attachment of and user friendly adjustment of the Cummerbund and front closure flap. The front closure has been adapted to a removable panel that can be customized to your needs. Several combinations of KYWI pouches, PALS webbing, or even an IFAK, are available or can be ordered. Attaching by means of 2 x buckles on the front the Flap acts also as the front closure securing the cummerbund beneath it. This can also be adapted for larger rigs such as the Iberian if one chooses to. There is about 3-4 inches of adjustment in the cummerbund just using the front closure section. This allows the end user to adjust the position of the cummerbund larger or smaller to account for heavier clothing in most situations without having to adjust the length of the cummerbund from the rear.

Which brings us to the rear adjustment panel. How many times have you got everything set up on your PC the way you want it, only to discover it is too large or small based on your selected wardrobe for the season? Now you have to start removing MOLLE/PALS pouches again and adjust everything. Well from Stu’s genius mind comes this baby.
The rear cummerbund channel opens up exposing a panel made of Elastic material with “G” hooks on both sides. This panel is also held “center” of the cummerbund channel by a Hook and loop panel that keeps it from shifting once it is set in place. This improvement allows for easy adjustment of the cummerbund with or without gear attached to the cummerbund in the event you need more adjustment than is offered from just the front closure.

Cummerbunds will be offered in 3 sizes as normal with most average size people opting for the Medium.  The interior of the cumber is lined with Hook and loop to accept Side plate, side soft Armor, or Kywi mag panels! Yes this design popular on the BOAR series vests will be incorporated in a panel for the interior of these PC’s!!!!!

Below Shows pic with Soft Armor Panel in place ( you can see how this will allow the use of Boar Series panels on the inside if that is preferred)

Adjustment is accomplished utilizing a unique channel design. The rear Plate pocket has the padded shoulder straps as part of it which pass through channels in the front plate pocket which are reinforced with additional material on the stress points located on the front of the vest. This angled piece of material (also on rear panel) reinforces the area of the PC where the corners of the plate normally wear through. (It also makes it look cool)
PC Comfort and plate adjustment is accomplished by using ¼” closed cell foam in the shoulder pad.

In addition, after passing through the channels in the front plate pocket, the padded shoulder straps sit behind the front plate adding more padding between you and the plate. This increases the comfort level without increasing bulk making it a much more comfortable ride. Pack cloth is used on the interior of the plate pockets to reduce chaffing and hot spots. The added Loop strips will be used to add padding if the end user chooses this option.

With plate installed (you are looking under plate between you and the plate)

There is an excellent video that Stu put out on his YouTube page that shows many of these features.
DAEODON How To Video

If you are in the market for a new PC, take a hard look at the DAEODON it solves a lot of the short comings of many PC’s out there currently and provides the end user with a modern, slick, alternative design to current offerings.
More pics
Over the next few weeks I will be posting more pics of the PC being used in various scenarios. I have been testing the Prototype for about 2 months now and have been more than impressed with this offering from ESSTAC.

Hope you enjoyed this!
Chuck
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
How about shoulder strap width and being fixed? Any issues?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about shoulder strap width and being fixed? Any issues?
View Quote

Its not fixed, there is at least 9+ inches of adjustment within the channel. The entire back of the Shoulder strap has Loop on the back side and the channel has a 3" piece of Hook. There is way more adjustment than anyone can use. See 2nd picture down under "Adjustment" . It shows the channel with Hook tape inside and under it I pulled the shoulder strap out and you can see the underside with the Loop.
Width is wide enough and there is enough padding to not need extra shoulder pads.
cp.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I dig it.  Nice review.

Only thing I'd add is the MSRP and of course a link on where to purchase.

MSRP - $170 (PC only!)*

Esstac site - purchase here

*Note - Esstac's site says the above purchase does NOT include the cummerbund.

Esstac Cummberbund - click here to purchase

Cummberbund MSRP - $30

Total MSRP - $200

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
But I am not associated with esstac in anyway other than loving his gear so I figure if people like it they will find it. Esstac isn't hiding anywhere ...
Just a gear review.

Cp
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Great review!  Definitely interested.  Quick question; On the back panel molle, it looks like there is only 2 usable molle columns on the top, with 2 others halfway under a flap, is there any way to pull back that clap to get 4 usable columns on the first row?  Most hydration and back panels require 4 columns to mount and I'd like to be able to ride it as high as possible.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great review!  Definitely interested.  Quick question; On the back panel molle, it looks like there is only 2 usable molle columns on the top, with 2 others halfway under a flap, is there any way to pull back that clap to get 4 usable columns on the first row?  Most hydration and back panels require 4 columns to mount and I'd like to be able to ride it as high as possible.
View Quote

Don't know, that would be a question for Stu on any changes. However, I from time to time will use a Source Hydration Pack which attaches with Grimlocks on the sides instead of the top  using MOLLE to attach. Knowing Stu he probably has a Hydration carrier in the works for this. The issue here was to re-inforce the stress points where most of the these fail. One company has eliminated the corner area all together exposing the corners of the plate. Bad Idea in my mind but to each their own.
Again from my perspective I don't like attaching things like a hydration pouch directly to the the PC. I don't want to have to take off my Armor to fill my hydration pouch.

On a Side note:
Went for a 3 mile trail run in the Daeodon with medium ESAPI's yesterday through the hills of Fort Knox, KY. No buckles cutting into me and the Pack cloth is wonderful. Even in a T-Shirt, no Sore Nipples!
Not a huge fan of running, and I suck at selfies, but trail runs make it bearable.

cp
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess what I meant to ask was if the straps were to far apart seeing that they can't articulate. But that picture you posted seems to say they fit just fine lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Any chance other chest rigs might be compatible with the qasm buckles?

Ive got a haley d3 and a bfg rack minus that both buckle in on my velocity systems lwpc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ive got a haley d3 and a bfg rack minus that both buckle in on my velocity systems lwpc.
View Quote

I would say about 99% it will fit the haley and most similar rigs.
Esstac cummerbund panels were made to also fit other PC's as well. So they should be the same.
Cp
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I emailed esstac and they say as long as they are 6" apart.
I emailed vs and they said their buckles are 6" apart.

Should work. But they haven't put both together.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Great.... I don't need a new plate carrier, but that thing looks awesome & Stu makes rad shit About the only thing I would change might be single strips of webbing on the front near the shoulders to clip PTTs or route longer hydro tubes too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great.... I don't need a new plate carrier, but that thing looks awesome & Stu makes rad shit About the only thing I would change might be single strips of webbing on the front near the shoulders to clip PTTs or route longer hydro tubes too.
View Quote

Shoulder webbing I would think is possible or using the webbing sleeves he ships with the BOAR series harnes.
If you look closely at the vest you can see elastic material loops extending from the sides for hydration tubing and or radio wires, Antena etc.
This keeps it off the top of the shoulder so it's not pinched when wearing a pack over it. Also makes it more comfy.   I aM all about comfort when wearing this thing for extended periods.
Cp
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you had a chance to go shoot with this guy on yet?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, All weekend and this week Ill be running it through its paces. Ill do another write up after the Holiday. "I am busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest" at the moment.
Ill say this though............ Its nice not having to shoulder a rifle around a buckle or other adjustment device. I really haven't noticed the PC "getting in the way" like some other PC's. Is consistent with the better ones on the market.

cp
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, All weekend and this week Ill be running it through its paces. Ill do another write up after the Holiday. "I am busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest" at the moment.
Ill say this though............ Its nice not having to shoulder a rifle around a buckle or other adjustment device. I really haven't noticed the PC "getting in the way" like some other PC's. Is consistent with the better ones on the market.

cp
View Quote

Looking forward to reading up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know what size the buckles are on the panels?
Undering if I could use the panels on my Ferro concept carrier.

Might pick up the carrier too.

Esstac is great, my loaded range bag is holding up really well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

The panel buckles are 1 inch.

I actually use the Daeodon 3 mag panel on my LWPC so the panels are indeed swift clip compatible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I actually use the Daeodon 3 mag panel on my LWPC so the panels are indeed swift clip compatible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, wish this came out before I modified my LBT panel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
cp
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#20]
And the Train Keeps Rolling Along!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned to this channel!!!!!!

cp
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I recently got my Daeodon, and man does it rock. I completely agree with your review. I cannot emphasize how comfortable this plate carrier is. What are you considering for a hydration carrier eaglecp?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I recently got my Daeodon, and man does it rock. I completely agree with your review. I cannot emphasize how comfortable this plate carrier is. What are you considering for a hydration carrier eaglecp?
View Quote

That's why I said "Stay Tuned" Above................Hint Hint.......

cp
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Why no memorial sale.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I am digging the cumberbund!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Man, get away from here for a while and all sorts of new stuff pops up.  That looks incredibly comfortable.  I see you mentioned soft armor for the sides but I didn't see any mention of hard side plate compatibility?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I really need this and a set of level 4 plates.

My HSD3 is lonely...
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn... looking at the video this carrier pretty much is perfect.  I'm currently running an SKD PIG but I really don't like this carrier.  The way the cummerbund adjusts in the back makes most other carriers look primitive.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Man, get away from here for a while and all sorts of new stuff pops up.  That looks incredibly comfortable.  I see you mentioned soft armor for the sides but I didn't see any mention of hard side plate compatibility?
View Quote

"If you build it they will come"

Stand By.......
cp
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If they made soft armor for the front, back, and cummerbund. If they made it in black. (for LE wear)

If they build it...
View Quote

I am pretty sure Stu built it sized for SKD soft Armor panels or similar. Most of which is all the same dimensions s or close enough. As for Black. It's just a color. I am su r it can be made up in Black.
Chuck
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If they made soft armor for the front, back, and cummerbund. If they made it in black. (for LE wear)

If they build it...
View Quote

http://www.esstac.com/#!product-page/wohvc/45b6b9f8-0c9f-80c7-bc34-1f4018f6f5ca

Color selection up the wahoo
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#32]
It has those clips on front plus the velcrow panel, does this work with the HSP chest rig
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It has those clips on front plus the velcrow panel, does this work with the HSP chest rig
View Quote

I believe so. The spacing looks correct. The daoden panels work with VS and Mayflower PCs...so ya I'd assume so.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes it works with the HSP chest rigs very well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Took the plunge and ordered a Daeodon in Wolf Grey.  Less than a week later it's in my hot little hands.  I didn't even realize that Esstac is right here in WA with me. Very cool.

I hadn't seen any pictures of the grey ahead of time so I was a little surprised when it showed up and had coyote velcro, inner fabric, OD green mesh and accents.  All of that quickly went away because this carrier just looks good. It was super quick getting it set up and putting my plates in. I adjusted the cummerbund length a bit and within 5 minutes had a solution worked up for running my BFG rackminus on top of it.  

It looks a little sloppy sitting on the floor, but wearing it with the rackminus clipped on it's actually very taught across the front. The only part that's not perfect is the top side clips as they don't angle straight back.  If they're not clipped in it tends to flop around a bit.  There are two more flapped BFG double m4 pouches in a USPS box on their way to me and then the front of the chest rig will be complete.

Shouldering a rifle it's actually kind of nice having the little bit of padding to the shoulder straps between the stock and me. Movement is pretty free and holding a pistol still feels natural.  Ran up and down the stairs in my building and it feels really comfortable. Might invest in the pontoons though to get a little bit of my sweat off of it.

If my BFG rackminus fits then a haley D3 fits for sure, and any of the velocity system placards should fit too. Of course the esstac panels are a great price too.  I'm on a kick right now of building a scalable gear setup so I really want to make my chest rig work on there.
Will post more pictures later.

Go buy a Daeodon!
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Got the pouches for the chest rig finished

And you can see how it's a little bunched up at the buckle area.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Wanted to bump this thread and give a shoutout to Stu and his company Esstac.  
After my last post Stu contacted me and said the OD green elastic loops on the shoulders were wrong and that he wanted them to be coyote tan. He said he was going to mail me a new front half.
This correspondence took place over a holiday weekend, and he said no need to send back the original. He said it needed to be right.
Wow,  just wow.
Plenty of times people jump on the internet to badmouth a company,  but I'd like to say that Stu and Esstac have not only nailed it on this Daeodon but their CS is top notch.

Got the new front and noticed he gave me all grey velcro on the front too,  replacing the coyote velcro.  I'm a happy camper.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow! you step away for a few weeks to go shooting through the summer competition season and BAM!

More pics coming Gents, Keep Stu Busy!

No rest for the Wicked!
cp
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#39]
i just noticed that it's sized for a Large SAPI (10.25x13.25) but also takes Medium SAPI and 10x12.  finally someone has some sense in their carrier design!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Threw this together as an ad for the Daeodon
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
After my last post Stu contacted me and said the OD green elastic loops on the shoulders were wrong and that he wanted them to be coyote tan. He said he was going to mail me a new front half.
This correspondence took place over a holiday weekend, and he said no need to send back the original. He said it needed to be right.
Wow,  just wow.
Plenty of times people jump on the internet to badmouth a company,  but I'd like to say that Stu and Esstac have not only nailed it on this Daeodon but their CS is top notch.

Got the new front and noticed he gave me all grey velcro on the front too,  replacing the coyote velcro.  I'm a happy camper.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/b0b0o7o7/media/IMG_20160711_185005_zpsk9ptxxab.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/IMG_20160711_185005_zpsk9ptxxab.jpg</a>
View Quote

What size plate carrier did you purchase?  I'm trying to determine the size I should order, I'm 6 foot 175 pounds and advice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't get to pick a size for the carrier, I just picked a size for the cummerbund.   I did the medium cummerbund. I'm 5'10 165lbs. Bout a 42" chest and 32" waist on pants..
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What size plate carrier did you purchase?  I'm trying to determine the size I should order, I'm 6 foot 175 pounds and advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow,  just wow.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/b0b0o7o7/media/IMG_20160711_185005_zpsk9ptxxab.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/IMG_20160711_185005_zpsk9ptxxab.jpg</a>

I would get the Large for your size. You can always overlap the cummerbund under the back flap but have adjustment for heavier clothing if needed.
CP
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Interested in this carrier. How's the fit with SKD LE 10x12 plates?

NVM, found info on their site.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Got some skd pig pontoons and a molle panel from esstac.  Added my bfg tenspeed pouch to it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Got mine today.  I bonered it and didn't order a big enough cummerbund.

I plan on getting one of the new haley rigs in grey.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

May I ask your size and which cummerbund you ordered?

Also which style did you go with?

Eta: placing order as soon as I decide on style/color/pattern.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The new DC3RX comes in grey? I can't find any Haley chest rigs in grey anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Stu's made great gear over the years
Looks like this ia also PigPontoon compatible

By inspection, if you have velocity or velocity compliant rigs like mine from EGL, they are compatible with this PC.  Also, I recommend the kywi mag pouch inserts if you haven't Already gotten some.  All of EGLs chest rigs are backwardly compatible with them
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Dubbletap
Response from prior post.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top