User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 2:12:38 PM EDT
UPDATE 5-7-16

Video added!  Kit in action!   lol

--------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 5-6-16

Vacuum packed!

Link to post further down: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/462376_Help_me_design_the_F10_belt_carried_IFAK_Pics_added.html&page=1#i4573037

----------------------------------------------------------
Update: 5-5-16

This kit is designed strictly for extreme penetrating trauma.

Components mounted inside a Condor single M4 mag pouch:

Israeli Bandage, 4inch.
CAT Gen 7 tourniquet in orange
Combat Gauze, good until 2020
Hyfin Compact Vented chest seal, pair, good until 2021 because an entry wound sometimes creates an exit wound

The three linked items I got from North American Rescue as getting the real thing, and new stock for the longest expiration date, was important.  
The Izzy I had for a while and it's gone from range bag to range bag. .  I think I had gotten it on Amazon.  

Then:

One pair nitrile gloves
One small roll of duct tape
Trauma shears.  One beauty of the Condor pouch is that the overflap is velcroed and removable.  This also means that something can be slipped into that channel securely.
Loop velcro, sew on.  This started life as a 4in wide piece.  I simply cut along the length to get close to the width of the mag pouch.
Self adhesive velcro.  Mainly the hook side.
Orange gaffer tape
Orange paracord.  I braided it using the wall knot pattern (HERE) as the moment you pull on it the knots separate a bit creating gaps that improve your grip.

Once I'm totally happen with the configuration I may vacuum bag the velcro wrap and secure the pull tab to that compressed package.  I have a FoodSaver thing, they're awesome.

Belt IFAK trauma kit by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

(the tourniquet would have already come out actually since it would be used first)

-------------------------------------------------
Your name is Taylor Crandon ....

You're a mild mannered printer repair technician who likes to go shooting at the range and take shooting classes.

You recognize that an individual first aid kit geared toward handling penetrating trauma, carried on the belt, is a good thing.

You want it to be unobtrusive, to take up little space on the belt, maybe three columns and four rows worth of molle and stick out less than three inches.

You've taken the most basic sort of Red Cross First Aid and CPR classes and recognize that the First10 seconds is the most crucial for buying time for higher care.

The internet has also revealed to you the comment from many pros, that if they could have only one first aid item, that it would be a tourniquet.

But which one?

You also recognize that hemorrhaging could also be caused by deep cuts so you want something less than a tourniquet but more than a band-aid.

You think that perhaps the Tactical Medical Solutions Operator IFAK kit*** might provide the basics for such a trauma kit.

But you want to create a pull out package based on a swath of loop velcro.  In one yank you can take everything out of the pouch and unroll it, losing nothing since you added hook velcro to the various components.  You also want the TQ separately and immediately accessible.

You wonder how well an HSGI rifle taco might work for carrying the kit, or perhaps the double decker rifle/pistol taco even though it sticks out so far.

Or maybe the Tactical Tailor Universal Mag pouch where you can attach the TQ to the molle on the sides ....
==================================

Ok, that's the scenario, what do you think?

*** TacMed IFAK:
1 - SOF® Tactical Tourniquet
1 - 4 inch Olaes® Bandage
1 - Petrolatum Gauze
1 - Nasopharyangeal airway 28F
1 - Pair of Gloves, nitrile, Size: Extra large
1 - 2 inch Tape, surgical
1 - Laderal Face shield
1 - Trauma shears
1 - STAT Triage Card
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If my only training was the red cross first aid kit and CPR class I'd probably want a pouch to carry a pocket mask and band aids.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe the Tourni-Kwik4 TK4 or TK4L instead of the SOF TQ for more compact package? Although I do prefer the aluminum windlass SOF TQs to the plastic pos windlass issue CAT TQs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]

You wonder how well an HSGI rifle taco might work for carrying the kit, or perhaps the double decker rifle/pistol taco even though it sticks out so far.

Or maybe the Tactical Tailor Universal Mag pouch where you can attach the TQ to the molle on the sides ....
View Quote

My thoughts.  The rifle taco is probably too skinny for much more than a CAT.  The TT universal mag pouch would be like a fat tick stuck to your side.  I like where you're going with this though.

I was looking for an insert to fit into a Crye radio pouch.  Nothing was optimal so I made a home brew med insert out of Silnylon with an HDPE stiffener.  Basically a mini version of the ATS one.  The silnylon is thin and slick which aids in smoother insertion and extraction.  It can carry an NPA, chest decomp needle, Israeli bandage, quick clot, z bandage, gloves and chest seal.  No way could I get a CAT in there though.

I think some sort of velcro attached IFAK that sandwiches into and under the front plate pocket and is sized long and skinny would be interesting.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the Phokus research groups IFAKs? They come in many sizes ranging SAPI plate to pocket...

http://phokusresearch.com/phokus-products/sons-trauma-kit/
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Where do you shoot at, public or private and rural or closer to a city?  

With a group or whoever happens to be at the range?
Is this kit for others to use on you or for you to use on others (big difference depending on your answer)?

For your skill level you need to probably just have the following. FWIW the only extras I carry in my IFAK is one 14ga needle D kit.

TQ (shooters pref, pre sized for a leg)

Chest seals x2 (1 for entry and exit wounds)

Combat gauze x1

4" or 6" Izzy bandage X1

Gloves are whatever. I'm not going to take the time to put them on if you've got massive bleeding.

NPAs you can carry if it gives you a warm and fuzzy but I've not found them to be useful.

If you are carrying this to use on others then I would probably look at carrying 1 CAT and 1 SOFTT-W. I prefer the CAT for arms and SOFTT-W for legs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where do you shoot at, public or private and rural or closer to a city?  With a group or whoever happens to be at the range?Is this kit for others to use on you or for you to use on others (big difference depending on your answer)?

For your skill level you need to probably just have the following. FWIW the only extras I carry in my IFAK is one 14ga needle D kit.

Combat gauze x1
4" or 6" Izzy bandage X1

Gloves are whatever. I'm not going to take the time to put them on if you've got massive bleeding.
NPAs you can carry if it gives you a warm and fuzzy but I've not found them to be useful.

If you are carrying this to use on others then I would probably look at carrying 1 CAT and 1 SOFTT-W. I prefer the CAT for arms and SOFTT-W for legs.

View Quote

local, close to home, major city close by type of thing.

Here is a wish list I created on Amazon:

http://amzn.to/1SyQ90a.

-- One of each below: 98.70 at this time

-- Two H&H plus one of each remaining: 103.60

-- Two H&H, but minus the Quikclot: 83.36

The more I learn about wound packing the less I consider adding the Quikclot (to a belt kit).

Thoughts?

Ammex GWON Gloveworks Orange Nitrile Glove, Latex Free, Disposable, Powder Free, Large (Box of 100)
$13.50
Size: Large

Ever Ready First Aid Israeli Emergency Bandage 4"
$8.63

H&H PriMed Gauze (1 Pack)
$4.66

North American Rescue Hyfin Vent Chest Seal, 2 Count
$17.90

QuikClot Advanced Clotting Gauze, 3 Inch x 24 Inch, 0.085 Pound
$20.00

Shears; EMT 7.5" - Black Handle
$2.07

Tactical Tailor Universal Mag Pouch
$14.99

Tourniquet - Combat Application Tourniquet - Hunting and Hiking - First Aid - the Windlass Increase Blood Vessel Pressure - Enhance Your Survival Kit with Military Issue CAT Tourniquets
$16.95

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
YMMV but I won't have a kit without it.  You have to know when to use it, and frankly you will have little use or need to pack a wound except in certain circumstances. If you don't know, or know how to pack a wound, eliminate the QC and stick with standard gauze and add a cravat or ACE wrap to have a pressure dressing.

since it sounds like you aren't shooting out in the boonies where EMS has a long response time you don't really have to worry about extended patient care. Just need to stop the bleeding, control for shock, and prevent a tension pneumo. So TQs, chest seals, combat bandages and materials for pressure dressings are your main tools.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
That's how I was looking at it too.

I think it's going to be:

belt case (single M14 type holster might be enough)
TQ strapped to the outside
4" Izzy
Two H&H
Shears
Gloves anyway, lol

I have several lengths of loop material.  I can create a wrap, use adhesive hook material on the items and have a simple pull out package once the TQ is applied.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand your thinking, but plain loop velcro isn't going to work as well as you may want it too.  You really need some structure to the insert for it to work well.  That being said, I have a couple recommendations.....first, think about a plain pouch with your med supplies in a ziplock freezer bag.  The freezer bags are a little more heavy duty.  This actually works better than you may think.  It may not be high speed, but function is the important part.

Speaking of high speed, option two would be to use a HSGI Soft Taco and an ATS Med insert

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/soft-taco-11AT00.html

http://www.skdtac.com/ATS-Low-Profile-Medical-Insert-p/ats.111.htm

On my chest rig, I use the former with one of these pouches http://www.1110gear.com/eleven-10-large-medical-pouch-multicam/ and a ziplock bag.  and on my battle belt, I use the latter. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The more I learn about wound packing the less I consider adding the Quikclot (to a belt kit).

Thoughts?

Ammex GWON Gloveworks Orange Nitrile Glove, Latex Free, Disposable, Powder Free, Large (Box of 100)
$13.50

$8.63

$4.66

$17.90

$20.00

$2.07

$14.99

Tourniquet - Combat Application Tourniquet - Hunting and Hiking - First Aid - the Windlass Increase Blood Vessel Pressure - Enhance Your Survival Kit with Military Issue CAT Tourniquets
$16.95

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do you shoot at, public or private and rural or closer to a city?  With a group or whoever happens to be at the range?Is this kit for others to use on you or for you to use on others (big difference depending on your answer)?

Combat gauze x1
4" or 6" Izzy bandage X1

Thoughts?

$13.50

$8.63

$4.66

$17.90

$20.00

$2.07

$14.99

$16.95

I would be suspect of some of those items- especially the cat.  That price is way too low and suspect it's counterfeit - never heard of the company selling it.  The Izzy is a good dressing, Tac Med's Olaes dressing offers more versatility   Buy life saving equipment from reputable dealers , not questionable people on Amazon selling cut rate Med stuff from questionable sources
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I did wonder that as well, primarily concerning expiration dates.

I've put together another cart at NAR
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:07:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Ymmv but the only things with expiration dates I would worry about are the quick clot gauze and the chest seals. I have no issue using an "expired" bandage on someone or using expired gauze for external use.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone wants to build the baddest IFAK ever seen, but they always build it above their skill level.

So stick with the basics, 1 or 2 solid TQs, a pressure dressing of whatever flavor you prefer (as long as it fucking works), 1 or 2 combat gauze, and 2 good chest seals (I greatly prefer the H&H, sticks great to anything and is really small.)

If a .civ shoves a needle d or a nose hose in someone, they could very well be sued for battery and possibly fuck the patient up more than they already are. KISS is the rule here, not the exception.

As for expiration dates, as long as the shit still has vacuum, I'm not afraid to use it on someone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everyone wants to build the baddest IFAK ever seen, but they always build it above their skill level.

So stick with the basics, 1 or 2 solid TQs, a pressure dressing of whatever flavor you prefer (as long as it fucking works), 1 or 2 combat gauze, and 2 good chest seals (I greatly prefer the H&H, sticks great to anything and is really small.)

If a .civ shoves a needle d or a nose hose in someone, they could very well be sued for battery and possibly fuck the patient up more than they already are. KISS is the rule here, not the exception.

As for expiration dates, as long as the shit still has vacuum, I'm not afraid to use it on someone.
View Quote

that's what is in the list.

except you forgot 'shears'

kit update tomorrow evening
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Look at the benchmade or Gerber rescue hooks. I find the quicker to use and easier to muscle through heavy clothing/ seat belts with over shears
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least they'd probably have the lube for the nose hose
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never remember to say shears, I'm a medic, shears live on all my gear full time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Along with tape I'm sure lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
op updated
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Seriously, nice job.

Great use of velcro, turning into a pull pouch, I would like to see the vacuum packed version as well. From what I can guess you spent about $15 and 30 minutes of time creating a pouch that looks like it works just as good as a $60 mass produced version.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seriously, nice job.

Great use of velcro, turning into a pull pouch, I would like to see the vacuum packed version as well. From what I can guess you spent about $15 and 30 minutes of time creating a pouch that looks like it works just as good as a $60 mass produced version.
View Quote

Done.  Worked out nice and smooth.

Based on past research concerning survival vests I had purchased 1in fiberglass packing tape and so I used that to secure the tether to the vacuum pack.

Lesson learned:  Leave it slightly loose around the vacuum pack.  You can see in the photos that the wrap (just twice around) is snug and that affected the ease of removal.  In a stressful situation though it would simply be too tight.

I think I'll leave off the visual tear indicator in the middle; the whole "too many choices" situation.  I'll just leave the ends.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#22]
One thing to consider with it vac packed and then contents tight like they are , is self aid- one handed.   How much time does it take to access pouch, tear open vac pack, and get to the exact components needed to save your life with only your support side hand ( and while bleeding out) ......Can you do it one handed- with either hand? Does it take minutes to do so-? Do your components go,flying in various directions when ripping open vac pack with one hand?  How hard is it to dig components out of tight vac pack?????

These small cube, tightly packed/sealed vac packs are nice for storage, but the above questions are legitimate issues I have seen in training
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#23]
My thinking is that such a penetrating trauma would need a tourniquet first and that is on the outside by itself and meant to go first.

I've consistently read about pros, when given only one item available, choose the tourniquet.

Once secure with that the hole could be plugged with the other stuff.

(Except for chest/thoracic trauma which only leaves a minimally trained person with the chest seals.)

The loop velcro is still the same within th vacuum pack, where the components are hook velcroed to it, to keep everything together.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Video! (oh boy)

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My thinking is that such a penetrating trauma would need a tourniquet first and that is on the outside by itself and meant to go first.

I've consistently read about pros, when given only one item available, choose the tourniquet.

(Except for chest/thoracic trauma which only leaves a minimally trained person with the chest seals.)

The loop velcro is still the same within th vacuum pack, where the components are hook velcroed to it, to keep everything together.
View Quote

TQs are only good for extremity use. What about an injury to the shoulder that is too high to apply a TQ?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

TQs are only good for extremity use. What about an injury to the shoulder that is too high to apply a TQ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat gauze or kerlix to stuff the wound, chest seal, and pressure dressing.

Otherwise a seal, pressure dressing, manual pressure, and pray.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't stick stuff into the outside of the condor pouch's elastic. I used a bunch of pouches like that for airsoft a few years ago, and made the mistake of leaving them loaded with 2 mags for a couple weeks. The elastic stretches out and fails very easily.

Surprisingly, leaving them in a drawer (empty) for a few months got the elastic back to being elastic-like, but you really don't want to leave the elastic on those pouches stretched out for days at a time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:19:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Are you saying to stuff / pack a sucking chest wound?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top