Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 5:25:42 PM EDT
Looking at getting some more gear and I would like a nice comfortable plate carrier.
I get a discount from LBT and was looking at their Modular plate carrier.
Plate carrier

I know it has good reviews on the company website but I'd like to hear the reviews from owners on here.
If you have first hand experience with this stuff please chime in.
Is it good, bad, ugly etc etc......
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not been a fan of LBT for quite some time. Their QCis horrible as of late - crooked stitching, way too many loose ends,ESAPI/ spear plates not fitting carriers intended for them.... Too many other choices
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not been a fan of LBT for quite some time. Their QCis horrible as of late - crooked stitching, way too many loose ends,ESAPI/ spear plates not fitting carriers intended for them.... Too many other choices
View Quote

Would you have a recommendation for a plate carrier at all? I need something comfortable as id be wearing it 5-6 days a week.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I honestly think LBT is overpriced, and that's coming from a guy who pretty much only buys Crye Precision. My first PC was some garbage 5.11 I was issued that was more akin to a fishing vest. Then I sprung for a Banshee, then a First Spear Beat Up. Then we were issued a TYR GPC, and on a much smarter guy's recommendation, I sprung for a JPC. While it is an awesome carrier, it does have its limits. If I could only have one PC, for general purpose, it would be an AVS with the Chassis. The chassis (found on CAGE armor carrier, CPC, and AVS) is really what makes those carriers so special / comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I lucked out and bought this: http://lbtinc.com/modular-sentinel-releasable-plate-carrier for about 50% off during a sale.  Worth every penny.  I dunno about paying anything near full boat, or even the sale price you've quoted.

AFAIK, the usual options are the Quick Release Assault Panel (often seen on sale) and possibly some mag pouches for the generously-sized kangaroo pouch.  I elected to install a zipper closure for the kangaroo pouch, thus making it something of an admin pouch for flat stuff.  Other stuff like lights and so forth go in pouches outside.   I generally use a detachable chest rig and warbelt.

Quality on mine is first-rate as you'd expect.  QC is a non-issue.

For the money, it's hard to beat the PCs offered by SKD, such as the Shellback Tactical but be aware that most everything is optional.  You'll need to add a lot of items to reach the level of the LBT rig you're contemplating, but even so, you'll spend considerably less money.
View Quote

Ive looked at the Shellback carrier and while it looked nice I was not impressed with the padding on the shoulders at all.  Since ill be carrying a full loadout I need something that I wont mind wearing all the time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a LBT6094A and LBT6094A-SLICK, both "Gen II" for swimmer-cut plates. I recently picked up the Crye AVS.

The LBT6094 is a classic, but IMO is outdated when compared against the newer Crye stuff.

It's comfortable, comes with MOLLE everywhere, has routing cables for hydration and comms cables, and the integrated kangaroo pouch as well as MBITR pouches are a plus (note that I don't even take full advantage of the comms stuff since I don't operate). I love the kangaroo pouch and it also has an admin pouch built in the top. The Gen II front plate bag fits my swimmer-cut plate like a glove. It also has integrated and remove able shoulder pads.

That said, after trying the AVS, I'm not sure I can live without the skeletal cummerbund. I tried using the Crye cummerbund on the 6094 but it doesn't maintain its form since it can't fasten to anything inside the loop in the rear platebag; if it did, it would be an awesome combo. The AVS also allows for more customization, but it does come at a cost. You have to buy shoulder pads separate. Both carriers require extra stuff to make full use of the kangaroo pouch (I like the S&S Precision GRT kangaroo pouch in the LBT, which won't really work in the AVS.

The AVS feels every bit as sturdy as the LBT, and it has an impressive use of Velcro for fastening different things to the carrier, such as side plate pouches and mag pouches for the front plate bag. As much as I hate to say it as I love LBT, Crye's mag pouches are nicer and more uniformly constructed (I got a set of three LBT 762 pouches and they showed variation in the sizing; all three cost about as much as a Tyr Tactical triple 762 shingle and Crye MOLLE front panel, which show excellent construction.

I give the LBT a slight edge in comfort, but I haven't tried the Crye harness yet...I just have a plate carrier configuration for now...but that may really increase the comfort.

I would still choose the LBT6094 over most other carriers, but a lot of that is personal preference for using cool-guy stuff. It comes with a lot out of the box and you can count on their lifetime warranty. It's also ready to go with all of your existing MOLLE kit without needing extra pouches and panels like the AVS does.

Just my $.02 from a guy who has only used the LBT6094, Eagle Industries LE-type (forget the name), and the AVS.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a LBT6094A and LBT6094A-SLICK, both "Gen II" for swimmer-cut plates. I recently picked up the Crye AVS.

That said, after trying the AVS, I'm not sure I can live without the skeletal cummerbund. I tried using the Crye cummerbund on the 6094 but it doesn't maintain its form since it can't fasten to anything inside the loop in the rear platebag; if it did, it would be an awesome combo. The AVS also allows for more customization, but it does come at a cost. You have to buy shoulder pads separate. Both carriers require extra stuff to make full use of the kangaroo pouch (I like the S&S Precision GRT kangaroo pouch in the LBT, which won't really work in the AVS.

Just my $.02 from a guy who has only used the LBT6094, Eagle Industries LE-type (forget the name), and the AVS.

View Quote

Thread drift but FYI...

For a while I was using the Skeletal cummerbund with my Mayflower APC and I ran into the same problem.  Even with the carbon inserts, it wanted to sag at the rear attachment point.  A very acceptable fix was to insert strips of velcro one wrap, vertically, thru the molle channels, essentially fixing the rear in place.  You will loose the on the fly adjustment that the shock cord gives you but I threw my APC over issued soft body armor so never really needed to adjust anything anyway.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The crye JP. Is nice for a very light DA rig. I'm a fan of the marz plate carrier- it's hands down the most comfy PC I've worn- I have one over 4 yrs old and still going strong.  The 2 cummerbund system is nice for switching between lo pro and overt roles. Quality is some of the best I've seen and for 300.00 a great deal
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the 6094 and the Pig PC. The Pig is definitely the more comfortable of the two, but the LBT is definitely very well made and pretty comfortable on its own. I have no real criticisms regarding it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top