Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2016 5:13:41 PM EDT
I am in the market for some high quality ear protection for some upcoming classes I am going to take (carbine and shotgun). I currently have the Impact muffs, which work ok, but I'm looking for something a little nicer. I have no need for comms, I'm not LE or Military, and none of my shooting buddies have radios (I have radios for work).

I've been looking at the Peltor brand, but there are tons of models and a huge price range. I would like low profile, and over the head is fine, since I don't wear a helmet either.

What models/brands should I look at? Budget is not an issue, as long as they are good, but I don't want to pay for things I don't need, like the comms.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm a big fan of Peltor, but lots of folks like MSA Sordin and TCI Liberators. As far as I know, they all have an option for gel filled ear seals which make them pretty comfortable.

The Peltor Comtac III's I have allow me to run a 2-way radio and my iPhone. (I can even pipe iTunes into my muffs)

They also allow for 360* sound imaging which images where the sound is coming from.

All of the companies I listed have non-communications equipped headsets.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a set of the Peltor tac100 muffs that they sell at home depot.  Unfortunately they are off at 3M getting looked at.

They are quite a bit less expensive than the other models but the trade off is that they don't like water, at all.  I was pretty careful with them but got caught out in the rain too long.

When they crapped out I popped the pads off and there was hardly any water in them, just a little damp.  We'll see what they say.

I really liked them and would probably buy another pair.  Just keep them for indoor range time though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same situation as you (except I wanted a set that fit under a helmet)

I went with the MSA Supreme Pro X (behind the head model but they have a headband model too) and haven't looked back.

More money up front but I figured buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont bother with Sordins, the sound quality sucks. The mics feedback too easy and there's too much white noise caused by wind sensitivity. My wife's Howard Leight Impacts sound better than my Sordins, I hunt with her Impacts or Surefire EP7's. Luckily I paid nearly nothin for my Sordins as milsurp.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dont bother with Sordins, the sound quality sucks. The mics feedback too easy and there's too much white noise caused by wind sensitivity. My wife's Howard Leight Impacts sound better than my Sordins, I hunt with her Impacts or Surefire EP7's. Luckily I paid nearly nothin for my Sordins as milsurp.
View Quote

I like my Howard Leights just fine, but to say that they're better than Sordins is pure idiocy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a set of the low cost Peltiors (from HD as well) and a set of the Howard Leights. I went to a rifle class up at PFT last October and found that the Peltors clamp on the sound too much. I was ringing plate but the protection duration was long enough that I wasn't hearing my shots ringing steel. I switched to the Howard Leight's and was able to hear. They seem to be best for outdoors while the Peltor unit seem to be best for indoors based on the level of clamping and duration.

Being able to tweak the clamp duration would be nice but is obviously something that would increase price substantially.

My two pfennigs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like my Howard Leights just fine, but to say that they're better than Sordins is pure idiocy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sound quality is. I am not the only member here who's commented of that opinion either. They may be overbuilt but they lack at what they should do best.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a pair of the Sordin and the Leight electronic earmuffs.
The Sordin Pro X are better at sealing, add the gel ear cups and they are awesome. Of course you pay for all this awesomeness.
I like teg way the housing is undercut so it is easier to shoulder a rifle withe these muffs.
The Howard Leight Impact sport are much more affordable but I found they did not do nearly as good a job sealing around my glasses, even before the gel cups.
The noise level is not loud enough to be painful but close, I would not want to do an extended session wearing these.
the Leights are now my HD hearing protection and live in the walk in closet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Had no issues with my Howard Leight electronic muffs. In fact I lost my muffs for about two months this winter only to find them in the bed of my truck once all the snow melted out of it. They powered right up without any issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
i have been using walker's alpha 360, these are my first electronic ear muffs. i think they are great. they pick up conversation great while drowning out the shoots. they also come in a thinner profile version so u can get your check closer to the rifle to aim.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The sound quality is. I am not the only member here who's commented of that opinion either. They may be overbuilt but they lack at what they should do best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strange I find the Sordins to be overall better than myHoward Leights including the sound quality. Good thing I didn't pay for it though, got it in a trade from a friend. However, the Howard Leights are still excellent quality, my only complaint is the lack of gel pads. Also, being the headband comm version my Sordins won't fit under my MICH, while the Howard Leights will. I know I can get the neckband version and/or a high cut MICH but I can't justify paying that much at this time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Idk how you guys deal with the howard leights sound clipping.

Compression of the higher end muffs is sooo much better.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#14]
MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-x
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Peltor Tactical Sport is what I would suggest. I've tried basically all of them and for price/performance they are a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Sordin Supreme Pro-X, best money I spent on ear pro in...ever.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a pair of Howard Leights and think they do a great job. For all day use at competitions, I double up. Believe it or not, the foam ear plugs have a really high level of sound deadening IF you wear them correctly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Strange I find the Sordins to be overall better than myHoward Leights including the sound quality. Good thing I didn't pay for it though, got it in a trade from a friend. However, the Howard Leights are still excellent quality, my only complaint is the lack of gel pads. Also, being the headband comm version my Sordins won't fit under my MICH, while the Howard Leights will. I know I can get the neckband version and/or a high cut MICH but I can't justify paying that much at this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the Sordins with the bone induction mic instead of the boom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top