Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 1:52:06 PM EDT
I have a pair of Highcom 4SAS7 ceramic plates that I want to pair with a Crye JPC, but I'm not sure which size to get.

Crye's website says to size the JPC based on the size of your plates.  My plates measure 9.5 x 11.5, but the JPC's sizes are based on the SAPI plates.  So their medium would be designed for a 9.5 x 12.5 plate and their large would be designed for a 10 x 13 plate.

I'm confused because Crye also has a sizing chart based on chest size.  Medium is 37-40 inches and Large is 41-45 inches.  I've got a 44 inch chest.

Based on chest size, I need a large.  Based on plate size I need a medium.

Any advice form someone with a JPC would be very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The JPC is exactly the size of the corresponding SAPI plates.  The chest measurements you saw on the Crye page might have been for clothing.  There's some stretch built in to the carrier.  I can just barely fit the plates and a SAPI shaped IIIa kevlar backer in there.  

I don't think you'll have any problems with plate thickness but I don't know too much about your plates.  As far as the HiCom plates, maybe do a google search comparing them with SAPI.  If the shape and taper is different it may be a go no go.  

As a last resort you might try posing the question on an airsoft forum.  I have no idea which one.  Those guys love the JPC.

edit for clarity

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to piggy back on his question. Im looking at ar500 lvl 3+ 8x10 and im curious if that would work in a small JPC. If their is substantial wiggle room what would be the best method of filling the void?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had both the medium size shooters cut Highcom plates you do (9.5"X11.5") and a Medium JPC. The plates do not fill the plate pockets as they are an inch too short. You can try to make up the missing inch with a material like a camping pad cut up and taped to the bottom of the plate - I have read of others doing so but have not done it myself.

Highcom does make the 4SAS7 in SAPI sizes XS - XL and those should fit the JPC just fine. Plates should be sized to your body and the carrier sized to those plates. Perhaps medium plates are not the correct size for you. This excellent post was a great help to me:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/349140_Proper_wear_of_Hard_Armor__with_anatomical_diagrams_.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had both the medium size shooters cut Highcom plates you do (9.5"X11.5") and a Medium JPC. The plates do not fill the plate pockets as they are an inch too short. You can try to make up the missing inch with a material like a camping pad cut up and taped to the bottom of the plate - I have read of others doing so but have not done it myself.

Highcom does make the 4SAS7 in SAPI sizes XS - XL and those should fit the JPC just fine. Plates should be sized to your body and the carrier sized to those plates. Perhaps medium plates are not the correct size for you. This excellent post was a great help to me:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/349140_Proper_wear_of_Hard_Armor__with_anatomical_diagrams_.html
View Quote

A lot of our guys are running JPCs and I would have guessed this to be the case.

And your second paragraph is spot on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the great info.  I never noticed that Highcom makes the SAPI sizes.  I'll check out the link above as well.  This may solve my problem, but end up costing me a few more bucks if I need to buy better fitting plates.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Midwest FM STX Shooter's cut plates in a Medium JPC. They are .55" thin. With a lvl 3a backer, the plates just barely fit. Not sure if the thickness of the Highcomm plates would cause problems trying to get them in a medium JPC. You'll have to do a buildup on the bottom because the velcro on the JPC just barely holds on with the length of the shooter's cut. If you can get SAPI cut plates, I would.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a pair of Highcom 4SAS7 ceramic plates that I want to pair with a Crye JPC, but I'm not sure which size to get.

Crye's website says to size the JPC based on the size of your plates.  My plates measure 9.5 x 11.5, but the JPC's sizes are based on the SAPI plates.  So their medium would be designed for a 9.5 x 12.5 plate and their large would be designed for a 10 x 13 plate.

I'm confused because Crye also has a sizing chart based on chest size.  Medium is 37-40 inches and Large is 41-45 inches.  I've got a 44 inch chest.

Based on chest size, I need a large.  Based on plate size I need a medium.

Any advice form someone with a JPC would be very much appreciated.
View Quote

I ordered the highcom shooters cut 10x12" plates. That are the actual size of yours. They were way small in my Large JPC, I bought a Small JPC for my Wife and they fit perfect.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same plates and medium JPC. I did what is recommended above and cut some strips of the blue camping pad from Walmart and made about an inch tall buffer to fill the space. It works well enough to fill the void. The side to side dimensions are fine, and actually a little tight, but the JPC has some stretch to it in the plate pockets.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Any plate carrier based on SAPI plate measurements, like the JPC, is very particular in what fits it, meaning tightly defined military SAPI measurements.  If you use one of that type of carrier and a non spec plate you will end up with either an inch at top or bottom not filled and if your distance between 45 degree cuts is too far apart at the top you get major stress points on the plate pocket. 10x12 is just a civilian non spec cut, which has no standard. The carriers that fit those plates tend to be more of a one size fits most, since 10x12 has no real defined standards like SAPI plates have. It would likely be cheaper to get a plate carrier designed for your plates, but a SAPI plate and pocket combo will always fit plates perfectly. A Shellback Banshee fits 10x12 plates great, but the JPC is extra finicky due to the thinner stretch materials and no padding on the back side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top