Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2016 12:35:40 AM EDT
Picked a Banshee PC, it fits 10x12 plates.

I've been searching a few sites, and can't determine if I should get both front and back curved, or get front curved and back flat.

My first plates so not sure what to get.

I found several on ebay like This or These

They look like they will do... Even some combos with curved and flat, as opposed to both curved.

I'm a 2xl guy, 52" chest, and wondering which would be more comfortable vs funtional.
This is something I'll just wear to training courses and such, not something I will need to wear on a regular basis.

What do you recommend? Or are the plates I'm looking at not good at all? Should I be looking at other sellers?
TIA,

Bo
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
others will chime in...but eBay? Not too sure about that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:58:50 AM EDT
[#2]
eBay- really for potential life saving gear???

Triple curve plates are the way to go- much more comfy
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Also those plates are listed as " curved " only. Could be single curve which sucks.    Look for triple curve plates
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:25:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Curved...like your chest and back.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I am no plate expert, but I seem to have acquired a small collection recently

I am 6'2" and 230#

Flat, yah no thanks

Single Curve, not bad in the back, crap up front.  Top of the plate sticks out an inch or so.  

Multi curve, much better in the back and fits my curvy manliness in the front, no top gap like the single curve.  Worth it if you are not flat as a board.

And as light weight as you can afford, 10# plates put the suck on quick.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
i picked up the triple curve off ebay and it's been night and day over my ceramics. I am 6-2/235 with a broad chest and the fit is perfect.

there is a lot of crap on eBay, but these are legit....

Spartan AR550.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291482217618?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Flat, if your not going to wear them...

Triple curve, if you plan on wearing them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up two triple curve ceramic plates from High Com on Black Friday. They are the most "comfortable" plates I've tried.

ETA: 6'2" 210lb. Large SAPI cut in an LBT6094-B
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the Feedback. I only assumed Flat in the back was the way to go, but i hadnt though about the gap in the top and bottom, it makes sense

I guess i based my assumption that  the plate, slightly more area that a sheet of paper, didn't cover enough to warrant a curve, thinking it might dig into me a little.

Im 6'4 275,  i prolly should have gone with the XL pate carrier, but scored a deal on the banshee, so i'll make it work.

The Triple curve looks pretty cool, and I think they would work.

Here is where i got the PC YourPlaceTac The Banshees were Less that $110 Shipped , I know plenty of people that bought them, but quantity stays the same on the webpage...
Anyways, they do list plates for sale at the top of the page.

The Ebay ones list up above triple curve for about $250,  the Your place Ones are about the same price, but I cant tell if it is Per Plate, or For Pair of Plates

I wish there was a website, like wikiarms for plates, there are just too many sites/websites to sift through...

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#11]
you won't be disappointed. they weigh a lil more then my ceramics but ill take that over the feeling like i have a brick hanging off the middle of my chest.

I also use soft armor backers behind the plates which add some cushion, but that's me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This might help in the education and selection process.  

Plate Armor 101
View Quote

Thanks, I read through, and it confirmed a lot of what i was thinking.
I guess I really need to try on a few types to see what feels more comfortable.

If I can get away with flat or single curve, it would definitely save some bucks
but as of now, I'm leaning toward the triple curve

I even though about lining the edges with Memory foam strips, if they are that uncomfortable.  
I'll report back later one, when i decide, there are 2 Places not to far from me that sell plates, im guessing they will let me try them in my PC at the store.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Just FYI, 10x12 is going to be WAY small on you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
others will chime in...but eBay? Not too sure about that.
View Quote

I got my set of TAP Gammas off of Ebay for $200 shipped

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just FYI, 10x12 is going to be WAY small on you.
View Quote

Yup, I totally agree, I'll work with what I have for now, the banshee carrier

But I'm sure I'll move up to the 11x14 model sooner or later
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Update. I got set of reg curved ones, and they were perfectly comfortable for me.
Did an 8hr shooting course yesterday with them on and had no issues.  

I had them adjusted pretty high up on me as well, but I have a long torso , so I'll need to get the 11x14 for proper coverage.
The 10x12 did cover from nip to nip as discussed, but just looked small on me.

Thanks all for your feedback.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Update. I got set of reg curved ones, and they were perfectly comfortable for me.
Did an 8hr shooting course yesterday with them on and had no issues.  

I had them adjusted pretty high up on me as well, but I have a long torso , so I'll need to get the 11x14 for proper coverage.
The 10x12 did cover from nip to nip as discussed, but just looked small on me.

Thanks all for your feedback.
View Quote

Glad it worked out.

I just ordered a Banshee from that place on Thursday; my current TAG carrier just doesn't fit me right compared to the Banshee I tried on a few weeks ago.

The TAG was perfect with 11x14's when I got it, but I lost weight and switched to 10x12s, and I can't seem to get it adjusted high enough.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't have any problem with ebay, but stick to name brands on armor. I've picked up some AR500.com III+ plates from an ebay seller, saved a few bucks and a 3 month wait.

You definitely want curved for the front plate.

After trying both single curved and flat, I could flip a coin on which way I'd go on a rear plate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#21]
How is spartan multi curve?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top