User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 11:13:24 PM EDT
What "certification" should I be looking for?  tia
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What "certification" should I be looking for?  tia
View Quote

Ansi really. There is no real certifications. Look at the specs for Oakley m frame ballistic and any comparable will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're on a camp with a CSM that's a stickler for the rules, you need something APEL approved.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're on a camp with a CSM that's a stickler for the rules, you need something APEL approved.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I see the ESS Cross series (Crossbow, Crosshair) are approved.  I have the ESS ICE myself (and planning on switching to Cross as finances permit), and absolutely love the prescription insert.  So if you need correctional lenses, take this as a recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Z87 is what we are supposed to have.

I like my flak jackets.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

And from that list, my preference is Revision. But, everyone has their preference.

Didn't even realize Honeywell was in the biz! Thought Uvex was some company of its own.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Oakley Flak Jackets when I don't need ballistic shades, ESS ICE when I do. The best part about the ICE system is that it's inexpensive and super easy to replace the lenses if they get scratched. They also vent heat better than any other eyeshields I've ever worn.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use Oakley Flak Jackets when I don't need ballistic shades, ESS ICE when I do. The best part about the ICE system is that it's inexpensive and super easy to replace the lenses if they get scratched. They also vent heat better than any other eyeshields I've ever worn.
View Quote

Do you even vented M frame bro?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out RANDOLPH.
They have been standard issue for the mil for 30+yrs. Usa made, and well under $200.

Fyi, a few of their models were featured in 13 HOURS.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
If you need Z87, IIRC Gatorz has started to have their lenses meet this approval. They're popular with a certain group of folks.

And yes, Gatorz will help get you laid.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Honestly, there's a lot of different standards for eyewear that mean a lot of different things.

Keep in mind the current Z87 standards do NOT require any impact testing for sunglasses to be certified. There are plenty of non-impact industrial eyewear that's Z87 certified but can't take an impact.

After doing a bunch of research into various standards (for airsoft), I ended up with goggles that were compliant with both MIL-DTL-43511D and ANSI Z87.1-2010 )with the optional high mass impact and high velocity impact tests... labeled Z87-2+).

If you're looking for safety glasses, MIL-DTL-43511D is a much more stringent single-impact standard, though the current Z87.1-2010 and Z87.1-2006 high velocity impact tests are more hits to the lens. If possible, get something certified for both.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

APEL is only Army, not sure if thats what OP is asking for.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#13]
You should wear tinted sawfly's all of them time like everyone else who has done a rotation as an interpreter over the last fifteen years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top