Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 11:25:54 AM EDT
I have been trying hiking boots on and I can not find anything comfortable. I have a pair of Danner 453s and they are to tight, along with Merrell Moab mids and Solomon XA Pro 3d and they all seem to not fit right. I have tried changing the insoles. I noticed the Danners there is no flex in the soles so they are hard to walk in. I wore them a few times and then moved on to the Merrells and Solomons. Nothing seems comfortable. IS there a brand I am missing or some hiking boots tips or tricks?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the merrell mojav in leather size wide.  I had similar problem these fit like a glove

t.basspro.com/Merrell-Mojave-Mid-Waterproof-Hiking-Boots-for-Men/product/1501300802063

If these don't work check out lows zeyphrr boots. merrell and lowa are my go to.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Red Wing boots.They are pricy but well worth the money
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Describe your foot. Each company has one or two lasts they build off of. I can't wear XA3D but like the Quest because they have two different lasts. Danner are too narrow for me as well. My foot is wider in front/forefoot with slightly narrower heel, medium volume, with some boney protrusions on my heel where my Achilles inserts. While I wear a 12 or 12.5 in other shoes a 13 Quest 4d Solomon fits great. Not found a better last for me. The Lowa, Merrell, Keen, etc. just don't fit. You have to just keep trying till you find what fits. Also keep in mind your toes cannot move to the front and allow contact on downhill grades with a pack and you feet will tend to swell so your need more length and volume than a casual shoe. It was hard to accept I needed a 13 so don't ignore wide versions or upsizing to unusual sizes. As for forefoot flex, some boots have forefoot plates that keep rocks from bruising your foot or sharp items from poking through. You will not appreciate those features in a store but may sorely miss them in a craggy mountainous environment. I personally don't like them and prefer just being more careful where I step.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out Red Wing boots.They are pricy but well worth the money
View Quote

I second the RedWings/Irishsetter boots.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Merrills are comfy out of the box because they're just a step above WalMart brand running shoes these days. (read: they're pretty crappy actually and their brand recognition is from models of years past)

Danners are stiff because they're quality and require a break-in. Asolo as well. Asolo also tends to run narrow.

Salomons are probably the best mix between the two. Personally I prefer Salomon 4D because they're surprisingly sturdy, they have fantastic grip, a really wide toe box, and they're light. You're also getting into top tier prices with the 4D line.
http://www.rei.com/product/881783/salomon-quest-4d-ii-gtx-hiking-boots-mens
Where are you having issues? Like physically on your foot, what part is causing trouble? What kind of socks are you wearing? My boots feel like shit if I wear running socks in them. They feel incredible if I wear hiking socks.

Other brands I'd look into:
Keen (nice wide toe box)
Vasque (built for comfort, but better quality than the shit show Merrill has been putting out for the last few years)
Try Lowa too

Got an REI in the area? Go try on everything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I switched from merrels to keen. Daily wear..they didn't hold up.
I wear keen koven lows to work. Similar to the moabs but more aggressive tread and more support. The koven waterproofs have a lil higher ankle. But not much. Daily wear so far is 3 months.
My targhee 2 keen dry mids are 1 year old.zero break in. Great boot.no leaks.
But I may get the koven water proof mid next. Due to the tread and they are light...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Merrills are comfy out of the box because they're just a step above WalMart brand running shoes these days. (read: they're pretty crappy actually and their brand recognition is from models of years past)

Danners are stiff because they're quality and require a break-in. Asolo as well. Asolo also tends to run narrow.

Salomons are probably the best mix between the two. Personally I prefer Salomon 4D because they're surprisingly sturdy, they have fantastic grip, a really wide toe box, and they're light. You're also getting into top tier prices with the 4D line.
Where are you having issues? Like physically on your foot, what part is causing trouble? What kind of socks are you wearing? My boots feel like shit if I wear running socks in them. They feel incredible if I wear hiking socks.

Keen (nice wide toe box)
Vasque (built for comfort, but better quality than the shit show Merrill has been putting out for the last few years)
Try Lowa too

View Quote

It's the toe and mid foot that is tight. I have the Solomons i the low and they are nice, I just dont like the speed zips. I am looking for something that pretty much needs no break in so I know they will work when I try them on.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Most comfortable Ive owned yet are the Lowa Zephyr Desert Mids. GTG right outa the box although you'll want some form of gel insert or something. Also, be sure to get 1 size up. I typically take a 12 2E but the 13 reg fits nicely.
I just bought a pair of the Merrell Ventilator mids (wide). They're just meh. Absolutely need an insole in these but if you order wide, you get wide.
Its getting harder and harder to order boots because there is no damn standard in sizing. One mfgrs 12 is anothers 10.5.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most comfortable Ive owned yet are the Lowa Zephyr Desert Mids. GTG right outa the box although you'll want some form of gel insert or something. Also, be sure to get 1 size up. I typically take a 12 2E but the 13 reg fits nicely.
I just bought a pair of the Merrell Ventilator mids (wide). They're just meh. Absolutely need an insole in these but if you order wide, you get wide.
Its getting harder and harder to order boots because there is no damn standard in sizing. One mfgrs 12 is anothers 10.5.

Good luck.
View Quote

I know Between the Danners, Solomons, and Merrells I have 3 pairs with 3 different sizes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Spend the money to have a pair of Russell Moccasin customs made. As comfortable as wearing socks, and they can be resoled enough times to last as long as you will.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Superfeet insoles yo. Green or orange. I prefer green.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's the toe and mid foot that is tight. I have the Solomons i the low and they are nice, I just dont like the speed zips. I am looking for something that pretty much needs no break in so I know they will work when I try them on.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Keen (nice wide toe box)

Try Lowa too

Then your kinda stuck with the keen/merrel offerings. But....not all of them.

Moabs run a lil wider at the front.

The keen targhee is super wide toe box but wide mid foot as well. The koven by keen is narrower than the targhee.

But especially the targhee mids i have were zero break in. But..wore better after minimal break in.

As posted socks..i tell a big difference if im wearing smartwool /thorlos vs feetures or running socks..not just in support but "comfort".

I use archmold insoles but may swap to the sof soles next purchase.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/koven
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
We are heading to REI on Sat to try everything on.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
So after going to REI, I bought a pair of asolo fugitives in regular and the same pair in wide. The wides showed up today and they seem to be hurting the bottom of my foot close to my arch. the regulars feel good but are a little tight. Will they stretch out a little during breaking them in. The regulars don't hurt the bottom of my feet but feel a little tight. I am also thinking about swapping out the insoles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
If they are too tight new then they are too tight period. Boots of modern construction stretch little if any at all.

You need room in the toes and the width needs to be comfortable at the start. Most people go with a boot that is too small for their foot and that will hurt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think anyone has mentioned Salewa yet.

I'm a big fan of low top boots and what a lot of companies are calling approach boots. I've used both the Salewa wildfire GTX's and their older style mountain trainers on previous deployments.

They're definitely stiffer than Merrels but maybe only a little stiffer that the Asolo's we used to get issued. IMO it made them feel more solid going over different terrain. They soften a bit but don't get super soft like Merrels I've had for ages do.

Bonus, the Wildfire GTX's come with different size inserts to make the midsection and heel wider or narrower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top