Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 3:28:09 PM EDT
I'm former Marine and a few years back did a field deployment in Afghanistan as a civilian DOD contractor, for which I bought a SpecOps EDC pack that ended up being totally perfect for my needs:

Fast forward a couple years, I got burned out on the wars, and I've moved away from my old scene and am doing more fuzzy-bunny stuff, currently working with NGOs in Africa. I'm still carrying my SpecOps pack around, but I find myself wondering if it looks a little too "ex-mil". It's not any huge deal, if I thought it were seriously a problem I'd get some discrete heavy-duty pack like a Kelty. But without replacing the pack itself, I'm idly wondering if there's an effective way to mod it to make me look a little less like a merc, in the same way that I'm getting a Tilley hat to replace my boonie.

I'm not trying to totally hide any past military affiliation, just wanting any ex-mil implication to be tempered with "but now I'm a chill guy, not trying to act hardcore, and not causing any trouble".

I don't want to get all impractical and silly like hanging cartoon keychains off the Molle or anything, but maybe weaving some safety-orange straps into the Molle would help visibility and avoid any implication of camouflage? And maybe a few velcro patches for punk bands and the like?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Cut the stitching and rip the molle off. That would be the best option.
1.5. Rip off the Velcro. Civilian bags do not have Velcro.
2. Rit Dye in a non-tactical color
3. Buttons:

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Peace sign and a Bernie Sanders button.  Krylon it a non-camo type color.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to REI and buy a comparable sized bag that Isn't a shade of dirt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I would personally be hesitant to cut too much off the bag, as I'd worry what that would do to the integrity of the fabric (don't want holes, opportunities for water to readily seep on, etc). Instead I'd try to find some civilian colored pouches (maxpedition, maybe?) for inconspicuous things like a cellphone and first aid kit. Then add a few (heck, even cheap ones would do) multi colored cariviners and clip a non-tactical baseball cap to it. I think that would really temper the tactical appearance of it.

ETA: maxpedition FR-1 first aid pouch comes in a bright "don't shoot me, bro" red with black webbing
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The REI suggestion is probably the best option.  Civilian packs are normally lighter weight, more comfortable to wear, and have more features than anything military. Not to mention they are usually cheaper than packs high are marketed to the "tacticool" crowd.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not like it's in multicam or ACU's "UCP."

They sell bags like that all over, I wouldn't sweat it. They scream 'IT guy" to me, frankly.

If you're worried about looking less military, your walk, mannerisms, etc. are bigger things to pay attention to.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Go buy any number of SwissGear backpacks.  Tough, tons of configurations, and low profile.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Rattle can it gray.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My EDC/Office bag is a Goruck Bullet. It only has three rows of webbing and isn't looked at as tactical.

I used to carry a Mystery Ranch ASAP, and people thought I was going into "survival mode".

People view things differently, but I find they don't pay attention to black backpacks as much as bright colored packs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

Yep, I came to recommend the Kelty.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Kifaru 'Urban Zippy' pack is my EDC pack.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:59:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Africa being what it is, I would keep my options open in the event of an unfortunate situation; IOW, there might come a time when having non-removable, BRIGHT items on your pack would be undesirable.  Throw some black pouches on the thing, like an  admin pouch, and possibly some water bottle/water filter pouches on the side.

The Condor TNT pouch is great for holding small stuff ready for easy access:http://www.combatsportsupply.com/condoroutdoortandtpouch.aspx.  This pouch is really nice for organizing the small, and frequently used items that one carries.  Hard to see, but there are two small Velcro tabs on the sides that (1) provide zipper back-up, and (2) will provide an audible warning should someone decide to "lift" things from your TnT pouch.  The same vendor offers pouches that could attach to the sides of your pack.

You could kill two birds with one stone by buying two side-mounted TnT pouches:http://www.combatsportsupply.com/condoroutdoorsidekickpouch.aspx.  While not quite as versatile as the larger, flat TnT pouch linked above, they don't add any depth to your Pack, either, and two of them should fill the needs of all but the most dedicated pack-rat.

I trust Condor in inverse ratio to the weight being carried.  These pouches, by design, are for small, light items, and mine have held up well.  I have yet to find a better designed pouch of its' type, and I've looked far and wide.

If you do not have the optional frame sheet that Spec-Ops offers for your pack, I strongly urge your to get one.  It will transform your pack.

The "Vent Panel" seems interesting for high-heat situations.

Both items, and a lot of other useful accessories designed for YOUR pack here:http://www.specopsbrand.com/packs-bags/pack-accessories.html.

Another idea is to take some Velcro OneWrap, and weave it into the existing PALS webbing.  Done right, any sort of patches or logos could be attached there, and the whole rig could be removed or re-configured as you wish.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.

These packs are all over the place, and I don't think that most of them will get a second glance.  Your bearing and appearance will have more to do with your being noticed--or targeted, if you wish-- than what you are toting.

View Quote
IMO I would personally stay away from anything made by Condor.  I had a bunch of Soldiers on my last deployment buy a bunch of their shit at the PX.  I saw a lot of it literally come apart at the seams.  The stitching on what I saw was terrible and not reenforced. Just my experience.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's not like it's in multicam or ACU's "UCP."

They sell bags like that all over, I wouldn't sweat it. They scream 'IT guy" to me, frankly.

If you're worried about looking less military, your walk, mannerisms, etc. are bigger things to pay attention to.
View Quote

I'm going to go with this. Having spent time in Nigeria I had other pressing issues to be concerned about other than a molle backpack.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:06:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for some good suggestions, given me a few things to ponder, and several good models to look at next time I upgrade/change pack (though for now I mean to wear this one out). Funny you mention, I have indeed been putting bright colored Nite-Ize carabiners (bought from the PX at Camp Eggers and carried ever since) on the loops, which add some color and also really help keep gear together. Plus when I set my pack down at a cafe I carbabine my pack to a chair so that anyone trying to run by and snatch it is going to have to haul a piece of furniture down the street.

Still thinking to add some bright colored bands or small pouches to it. Torn on patches since even velcro-ing punk band ones might me too military, I might just stick a few punk patches onto some of the loops I don't use much, and snip the threads if I suddenly need to use those loops. Buttons would be fun but seem too likely to snag.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#21]
You can have tactical or you can have grey man but you can't have both. When you realize that you will find your answer. I have an Eddie bower backpack when I want to go grey man. Otherwise I have a TAD gear Fast pack EDC that I carry.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#23]

This is a decent option.  I have been using one for a little over 6 months for my office bag.  Don't know how well it would hold up to heavy use, but it is definitely a tactical bag without looking anything like a tactical bag.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
All joking aside, my cousin was in the Peace Corps many years back and he was advised to not wear camo pants for the same reason.  OP is wise to ditch the military pack.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All joking aside, my cousin was in the Peace Corps many years back and he was advised to not wear camo pants for the same reason.  OP is wise to ditch the military pack.
View Quote

Camo pants - actual uniform pants, are not the same thing as a non-camo, non-government issue backpack.

And Peace Corps is not the same as an NGO, unless he's in certain former Soviet States that simply view all of the above as CIA fronts.

Peace Corps is often extremely sensitive about being non-military affiliated or linked.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Been looking for a more discreet pack myself. I've had one of the LAPG operator packs for the last year or so and it's held up great but it screams tactical.

Looking at the marmont helm
http://www.rei.com/product/894450/marmot-helm-2015-closeout

Mystery Ranch has some really nice packs, but i can't justify the price tag on the ones i like.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Check the Vertx line of bags. I use the messenger bag of theirs and its very low profile but still has a lot of useful features. I've had mine for about 6 months now and it's holding up very well to daily use.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seriously, go to EMS or REI and see what they have for hiking packs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also:

Quoted:

I know what it is to have a pack you like, and being reluctant to let go of a cherished piece of equipment.  But the best way to get a non-tactical looking backpack... is to get a non-tactical looking backpack.  

You seem more resistant than necessary to the obvious answer.

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top