Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2015 5:09:58 PM EDT
Hi Y'all,

I have finally set up my web gear loadout and am very happy with it, except for one unexpected hitch. My equipment is based on an Eagle Industries surplus war belt with surplus Mk. 2 suspenders from the same manufacturer, with a Blackhawk .223 4-pocket chest pouch which I put on last. With this I can carry 300 rounds of 5.56 or 200 of 7.62 NATO for my AR-10 (when using my 25-round magazines), as well as a few days' rations, canteen with cup, fire-starting supplies, bayonet, Glock 21, spare pistol mag, blanket, pup tent, rope, entrenching tool, and first aid. It ain't all that heavy, and I practice hiking, doing chores around the house, and doing dynamic shooting-on-the-move with it fully loaded and I don't mind the weight.

The Mk. 2 suspenders are excellent, wide, and comfortable, as are the shoulder straps of the Blackhawk chest pouch, but the problem is their nylon surface is quite slippery, and the butt of my AR-10 has the nasty habit of losing its purchase on it. Although I can still mount it in a pinch, it is harder and comes loose easily under recoil. I tried rectifying this issue with sporting grip tape, but one good day of field drill with my rifle changing positions, shouldering, and slinging my rifle, and that crap was hanging off the straps in shreds.

I've thought about spraying the straps down in plasti-dip, sewing a rough fabric like burlap over the areas where the rifle butt mounts, or even spraying them with the OD Krylon I use to finish beat up GI magazines. However, I don't want to do anything permanent that might damage them before getting advice.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What stock is on the AR10?
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
On some of our plate carriers we use some rubberized material on the upper part or outside facing side on shoulder straps to help keep rifle slings up on the shoulder.  Something like that sewn up into a sleeve of sorts that you put on your suspender straps might help.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What stock is on the AR10?
View Quote
It's a standard A2 (proprietary to the Ar-10, though) with standard checkered buttplate. This is not just a problem with the AR-10 however; My M4 with the Rogers Superstoc does the same thing. Even the Limbsaver on my Benelli Supernova slides off too easily on these.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you thought about running a few inches of inner tube (bike tire tube) over the shoulder straps? That would give you something that wouldn't slip, and is most likely cheap. I blew out a tire on a bicycle like four years ago and kept the tube in the garage. I still use it for scuba diving stuff (makes great LP hose retainers on BCD/wing inflator hoses). My backplate I use for diving has 2" nylon webbing, so I'm sure you could fit a piece of inner tube over it where you need to.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you thought about running a few inches of inner tube (bike tire tube) over the shoulder straps? That would give you something that wouldn't slip, and is most likely cheap.
View Quote

I'd go with the inner tube as well. You could just tape in place to see if works for you. Then do something more permanent if you like it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Have you thought about running a few inches of inner tube (bike tire tube) over the shoulder straps? That would give you something that wouldn't slip, and is most likely cheap. I blew out a tire on a bicycle like four years ago and kept the tube in the garage. I still use it for scuba diving stuff (makes great LP hose retainers on BCD/wing inflator hoses). My backplate I use for diving has 2" nylon webbing, so I'm sure you could fit a piece of inner tube over it where you need to.
View Quote
That's a very good idea, thanks! Will an inner tube be thick enough, though? The Mk. 2 suspender straps are 2", instead of the standard 1" on the more common Mk. 1, so I am not sure there are inner tubes large enough. However, I know absolutely nothing about bike tires, so I may be totally worried over nothing.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
You should be able to find whatever you need at any place that sells bike tires or something a little bigger than that, if necessary. It shouldn't require any kind of adhesive to hold it in place (on the shoulder strap, I mean) if you cut a section a few inches long, unhook the shoulder strap, and slide it over the harness/shoulder pad or whatever you need to be "sticky." The surface of the inner tube that the rifle butt will be resting on should be good to give you the grip you need - if it doesn't, it was a shot at a cheap solution. Not sure what you could do to rough it up, so to speak, to make it have better grip.

I can fit the 1" long section of rubber tubing around a 2" wide piece of nylon webbing AND my backup light when I cave dive to keep it from dangling down, so I'm sure you can fit it around shoulder pads or whatever you need. The tube I used was a normal one off a bike tire somewhere between 22-26 inches, a beach cruiser.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
AR-Tenner I should have at least two sizes in my garage.  Shoot me a PM if you want.  I'll check later and see what I got if you're interested.  That way you don't waste money buying a tube just for a couple inches.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Pick up something that provides some rubbery purchase. When it wears off, reapply. This works to reduce war belt rotation for me without a slew of drama.

My suggestion, with an investment under $10.
Mcnett Freesole
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]
so when I was a wee Privit, they taught us to shoot with our buttstocks tucked underneath the suspender strap so as to avoid this problem. I guess this knowledge has been lost in the corridors of time and space.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Use a strip of Hypalon.

I have a gun bearer system for hunting...  and it works for me

GunBearer from Kifaru..  LINK~~   https://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

AR-Tenner I should have at least two sizes in my garage.  Shoot me a PM if you want.  I'll check later and see what I got if you're interested.  That way you don't waste money buying a tube just for a couple inches.
View Quote
Hi DevilDawg, sorry to respond so late to a moribund thread, but my wife and I just found out we are having a daughter (our first kid, seeing as we are in our 20s), and preparation for her arrival has taken up most of my non-work time. That sure is nice of you to offer, but I think I'll probably try plasti-dip, or perhaps stitching some rough canvas or burlap onto the suspenders first. I'm afraid rubber might be too tacky, as I often throw my rifle over my back on its two-point sing, necessitating quickly pulling the sling back over my shoulder to bring the rifle back to my front. Doing that often makes me appreciate how easy it is for the sling to get caught on something, so I'll try these solutions first.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
ROckywoods.com sells a product called SlipNot, a textured rubberized nylon fabric, you could use ShoeGoo or pay to have a patch sewn to the shoulder pocket area to help keep buttplate in place.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hi DevilDawg, sorry to respond so late to a moribund thread, but my wife and I just found out we are having a daughter (our first kid, seeing as we are in our 20s), and preparation for her arrival has taken up most of my non-work time. That sure is nice of you to offer, but I think I'll probably try plasti-dip, or perhaps stitching some rough canvas or burlap onto the suspenders first. I'm afraid rubber might be too tacky, as I often throw my rifle over my back on its two-point sing, necessitating quickly pulling the sling back over my shoulder to bring the rifle back to my front. Doing that often makes me appreciate how easy it is for the sling to get caught on something, so I'll try these solutions first.

Thanks again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again!

Congrats on the incoming heartbreaker.  I have two girls of my own , so I have some experience in this regard.  The offer still stands if you change your mind.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Another option is that rather than grippy-iffy your gear, is to do it to your butt stock. Years ago I got my hands on one of the battery compartment SOPMOD m4 stocks with a rubber but plate, and it works perfect for this. Many companies make similar products, if you don't want or need the extra battery storage or want the cheek protrusion-ness.

Yes I made up words for this post.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Congrats on the incoming heartbreaker.  I have two girls of my own , so I have some experience in this regard.  The offer still stands if you change your mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again!

Thanks again, man! I'm honored and heartened by your kind words and experience. I will be turning her into a littler AR-Tenner, and already have my bleeding-heart liberal mother gritting her teeth as she knits her a onesie that reads "You can have my gun, when you pry it from my pink, stubby fingers!"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top