Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 8:33:35 PM EDT
Was thinking about picking up one of these, are these earmuffs any good?

also is Howard Leight any good?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been very satisfied with my Howard Leight Impacts. Very good value.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got mixed opinions on mine.

As hearing protection, they're pretty poor. Something like 19 dB. I always wear a set of Surefire earplugs under them, even just for pistol shooting.

In terms of situational awareness, they're great. I've used mine at several airsoft games (sometimes with a radio connected) and haven't had any issues with not being able to hear. The electronics tend to pick up small impact noises (twigs breaking, boots stomping, or BBs getting poured out of a bottle...) far better than they pick up voices, but they still do an adequate job of picking up voices.

You're not going to find a better option for the price.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got mixed opinions on mine.

As hearing protection, they're pretty poor. Something like 19 dB. I always wear a set of Surefire earplugs under them, even just for pistol shooting.

In terms of situational awareness, they're great. I've used mine at several airsoft games (sometimes with a radio connected) and haven't had any issues with not being able to hear. The electronics tend to pick up small impact noises (twigs breaking, boots stomping, or BBs getting poured out of a bottle...) far better than they pick up voices, but they still do an adequate job of picking up voices.

You're not going to find a better option for the price.
View Quote

Well is there better earmuffs that offer better protection? I wouldn't mind spending around $50-80 if they are high quality. Any recommends?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're willing to go non-electric, there's plenty of cheap options.

If it needs to be electric for situational awareness, I have no idea of other options at a similar price. At least on paper, most electronic earpro is rated pretty poorly for actual hearing protection. I used to have a set of something (can't remember the brand) that worked well for IDPA and the occasional rifle use, but I don't recall what brand those were.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
What about the peltor tactical
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

How well are these regarding hearing protection?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In general, read the ad. All of them list the NRR rating.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The impact sport is decent. Situational awareness is awesome, hunting you can hear game long before you can see it, I can hear a clock tick in a room at the other end of the house. Love the former. They do very good at just cutting loud sounds, so you can talk while others shoot. I have owned three pairs, first pair had little electronic noise and linear volume adjustment, lost them. Second pair, batteries dead weekly, it was a long time before I figured out the cause, in the off position they continued to generate white noise, also lots of pops while adjusting the knob and all adjustment occurred in the last little bit of rotation, warrantied them, Honeywell will not deal with you, you have to return them to point of sale, shitty. Third pair, work well, adjustment is still in the last 1/4 of knob rotation, good bit of popping during adjustment. All pairs, ear cups are hard and take a while to seal, and seal poorly around shooting glasses, headband has limited adjustment, will pick up interference from everything.

Peltor's nearest comparison is the Tac 100 NRR is within one, single knob, audio jack, $30 or so more expensive. I've had two pairs. First pair, dead out of the box. Same BS warranty as Honeywell, return to point of sale. Second pair works, sound amplification is not as good as HL by a big margin, they handle loud noise via compression which sucks, it muffles everything and is slow to recover, it is also activated by any sharp sound loud or not, close a car door, rack a slide, slam a mag home, it gets pretty distracting. Ear cups are SO much softer, and headband has more adjustment, but the ear cups are shallower, and if you have big ears they'll be pressed into the foam. Pick up less interference, haven't noticed at pops or other electronic noise.

I suggest doubling up with either if your shooting much, especially rifle. I prefer the HLs, long term comfort of both sucks for me, short term the Peltors are better. HL amplification, and seamless sound suppression does it for me, my personal feeling is that since I'm doubled up the amplification is the only reason to even bother with them most times. Wife hates the HL's hard cups and excessive tension, her ears fit in the Peltors better I reckon. Haven't had any major cheek weld issues with either.

I will not likely buy another pair of either, unless someone comes out with a gel cup for the HLs. May go Pro-ears for better NRR at moderately increased cost, Sordins, or high end Peltors less NRR but I've had people rave about both, price is hard to swallow though.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The impact sport is decent. Situational awareness is awesome, hunting you can hear game long before you can see it, I can hear a clock tick in a room at the other end of the house. Love the former. They do very good at just cutting loud sounds, so you can talk while others shoot. I have owned three pairs, first pair had little electronic noise and linear volume adjustment, lost them. Second pair, batteries dead weekly, it was a long time before I figured out the cause, in the off position they continued to generate white noise, also lots of pops while adjusting the knob and all adjustment occurred in the last little bit of rotation, warrantied them, Honeywell will not deal with you, you have to return them to point of sale, shitty. Third pair, work well, adjustment is still in the last 1/4 of knob rotation, good bit of popping during adjustment. All pairs, ear cups are hard and take a while to seal, and seal poorly around shooting glasses, headband has limited adjustment, will pick up interference from everything.

Peltor's nearest comparison is the Tac 100 NRR is within one, single knob, audio jack, $30 or so more expensive. I've had two pairs. First pair, dead out of the box. Same BS warranty as Honeywell, return to point of sale. Second pair works, sound amplification is not as good as HL by a big margin, they handle loud noise via compression which sucks, it muffles everything and is slow to recover, it is also activated by any sharp sound loud or not, close a car door, rack a slide, slam a mag home, it gets pretty distracting. Ear cups are SO much softer, and headband has more adjustment, but the ear cups are shallower, and if you have big ears they'll be pressed into the foam. Pick up less interference, haven't noticed at pops or other electronic noise.

I suggest doubling up with either if your shooting much, especially rifle. I prefer the HLs, long term comfort of both sucks for me, short term the Peltors are better. HL amplification, and seamless sound suppression does it for me, my personal feeling is that since I'm doubled up the amplification is the only reason to even bother with them most times. Wife hates the HL's hard cups and excessive tension, her ears fit in the Peltors better I reckon. Haven't had any major cheek weld issues with either.

I will not likely buy another pair of either, unless someone comes out with a gel cup for the HLs. May go Pro-ears for better NRR at moderately increased cost, Sordins, or high end Peltors less NRR but I've had people rave about both, price is hard to swallow though.

View Quote

Well All I want is good hearing protection that will fit my ears and be comfortable to wear for hours. TBH I don't care if it's electrical or not. I heard about a company that makes hearing protection that is molded after your own ear(s). I might just go down this road. I just really wanted to hear some input from people of the matter
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
What's your intended use?

Square range? Action shooting? Hunting? Military? LE?
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Range & SHTF, really just for the range but if SHTF I would want something that I can use for hours on end
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Range & SHTF, really just for the range but if SHTF I would want something that I can use for hours on end
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you're going to find a good, one-piece, solution for everything.

If you're using a firearm because "SHTF", that probably means you're trying to kill something (either self defense or hunting) and whatever you're trying to kill doesn't want to be killed. That makes being able to hear whatever you're trying to kill important. That gets you into looking at elecronic earpro, "combat plugs", or just accept the fact that you'll suffer minor hearing loss.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052 is an interesting read about hearing protection and sound levels.

Personally, my thoughts are for range use, I'm willing to take an extra 30 seconds and wear earplugs (SF) and earmuffs (HL Impact Sport). I find that combination comfortable for 2+ hours at the local range (at which point I'm tired for reasons other than the earpro), and quiet enough to shoot next to a dude with an SBR'ed AK at an indoor range. If I needed to spend hours in the woods shooting a gun, I'd use the same combination. Battery life is about 15 hours.

If you're worried about long-term can't-get-batteries-during-the-apocalypse earpro then some kind of "combat plug" might be the way to go. Generally they are inadequate protection (you'll suffer hearing loss, just not as much) but they're better than nothing. The idea is you have a earplug with a small hole so quiet noises can be heard but loud noises are less loud. Personally I own two pair but have never shot a gun with just the combat plugs.

That said, if someone's breaking into my house, I'm not going to worry about earpro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top