Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 9:19:08 AM EDT
I'm looking at the following Highcom plates.  Not super concerned about 30-06, and have soft armor inserts.  The 3s9 looks good, as does the 4sas7 which a very very admirable arfcommer put through its paces to suggest that it will also fare well against a bunch of common rifle rounds.

As far as cut, I'm Interested in SAPI L or multicurve shooters cut

Which plates should I get?

34i1 level 4icw
3s9 level 3 but tested against several steel core rounds
4sas14 level 4 but heavy
4s17 level 4 but heavy
4sas7  level 4 but heavy
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can afford it go for the 3s9, they are DEA certified for XM855 and 193. Those are the ones I wanted to get but after seeing that the 4sas7 would stop them I couldnt pass the 100$ per plate deal compared to the 250$/plate of the 3s9 with their black friday sale. Still 500$ for those plates is an incredible price but I'm no operator and wont use them much
Cheers

I got the 10x12 btw
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If M2AP or price are a priority, go with the 4SAS7. If weight is a priority, go with the 3S9. Both are great plates. I recently beat there shit out of them with stuff that dramatically exceeds their rating. I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
How are you getting 10x12 plates for 100?? They are coming out to 127 or 140 something for multicut .
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd love to replace my large esapis at some point down the road, armor plates seem to be more convoluted with regard to specs.

The prices on these plates look good, how are they? Does highcom make these domestically? The 3S9 looks like a perfect "domestic use" plate as it's rated for m855 and m193 standalone and has a good weight. What would the weight of a standalone level 4 get me over this?
View Quote

The 3S9 is very thick. Be sure your carrier will fill it. 10mm_ was able to get through one with M61 AP and we'll both be testing the 3S9 with M855A1 soon. There are probably quite a few rounds that will get through a 3S9 but that a level IV plate will stop, but they are a significant step up from most other level III plates. Also, the back face deformation will be greater with the 3S9 than the 4SAS7.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How are you getting 10x12 plates for 100?? They are coming out to 127 or 140 something for multicut .
View Quote

Code , "blackfriday" . 30% off.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anyone make a standard sapi sized stand alone plate that will deafeat m193 and m855?

Defeating 30.06 AP and x54r, but the most common domestic threats (or weapons used in training courses) will be pistol rounds or bulk 5.56 with some x39. M855 and m193 don't ever seem to be certified threats, unless I'm reading wrong.

I have large esapis but I'd like to eventually go to medium standalone sapi cut plates since that's the most common carrier choice and would eliminate the need for backers or soft armor.
View Quote

Take a deep breath and read again. The clues are in front of you lol
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well feel free to clue me in. Hard armor isn't my forte. To add, there's a lot of BS and crap out there as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone make a standard sapi sized stand alone plate that will deafeat m193 and m855?

Defeating 30.06 AP and x54r, but the most common domestic threats (or weapons used in training courses) will be pistol rounds or bulk 5.56 with some x39. M855 and m193 don't ever seem to be certified threats, unless I'm reading wrong.

I have large esapis but I'd like to eventually go to medium standalone sapi cut plates since that's the most common carrier choice and would eliminate the need for backers or soft armor.

Take a deep breath and read again. The clues are in front of you lol

Well feel free to clue me in. Hard armor isn't my forte. To add, there's a lot of BS and crap out there as well.

lol 3S9 is DEA certified to stop M855 and M193
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Those AT plates are the $hit; if you have the $$ go for them and don't look back
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]

I picked up a pair of 4SAS7s on Black Friday.  Can anyone recommend a good plate carrier for them?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I too picked up a set of plate from highcom, and I'm looking at the skd brigandine plate carrier, but it looks like they don't have a specific listing for the highcom plates. I realize that the highcom plates are slightly smaller than 10x12, I think 9.5 x 11.5 so I'm guessing maybe a medium? anyone have any idea which would fit better?

Bonus points if someone knows before midnight before the sale ends....

Edit: so some research, it looks like the ESAPI medium plates are 9.5x12.5, the ESAPI large 10x13 and the Tap Gamma are 10x12, and Velocity is as noted 10x12.
It looks like the closest would be either the Tap Gamma or the Velocity, but still curious if anyone has utilized the Brigandine plate carrier with the highcom 10x12 multi curve.

Edit: noticed a review that mentioned that the velocity would only fit 9.25x11.25, so very close but just slightly too small.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I picked up a pair of 4SAS7s on Black Friday.  Can anyone recommend a good plate carrier for them?
View Quote

I ordered some plates as well, a little concerned that I haven't heard a peep since I submitted my ID info, but they have a good reputation as a company. I ordered a Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist carrier, the plates were listed as 10x12, which the GGG carrier accommodates.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Sometimes life gets in the way over there IME
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I just received an email from highcom stating they are working through heavy order volume but are getting things out there. The email stated they only planned on offering only a few items, but marketing had everything on sale, but they will honor the pricing for all the orders. Very stand up company and still taking time to answer questions I had as they get to them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just received an email from highcom stating they are working through heavy order volume but are getting things out there. The email stated they only planned on offering only a few items, but marketing had everything on sale, but they will honor the pricing for all the orders. Very stand up company and still taking time to answer questions I had as they get to them.
View Quote

I too got a personalized response citing the same issues. They also stated there was an internal server issue with orders that they were getting sorted out. I was told 5-7 business days and they should have stuff in the mail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, my order from highcom showed up today.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought some 10x12 multi curve 4sas7 plates as well.

Stoked! Way better than my AR500 plates, I'll finally have real stuff!
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I ordered some plates as well, a little concerned that I haven't heard a peep since I submitted my ID info, but they have a good reputation as a company. I ordered a Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist carrier, the plates were listed as 10x12, which the GGG carrier accommodates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good combination here.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you buy 2 of the same plate or did you order a different plate for the back?
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Did you buy 2 of the same plate or did you order a different plate for the back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the 10x12 multi-curves in both the front and the back of my PC.

It's definitely the way to go shape wise.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I spoke with Michael over the phone and he told me what was going on; they are slammed!!! Great guy and great company!
He sent me an email as well.
I was telling him that if he was too busy I didn't mind waiting a few days since I just had call to see if they received my info and he was like "make you wait!?? we don't make you wait, that is what the competition does!"
He made me Lmfao!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A good combination here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good combination here.

anyone know offhand if the "full cut" plate will fit the rear pocket on a Banshee carrier?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#27]
If shopping at HighCom Security's website, use "armor" as a discount code.  I think its a 15% off.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#28]
the code americanarmor gets you 20%

and usamade gets you 25%
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
anyone know offhand if the "full cut" plate will fit the rear pocket on a Banshee carrier?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A good combination here.

No, it won't fit. The rear pocket is the same cut as the front.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good combination here.

thanks, I was able to alter my order before they completed it, saved myself some exchange trouble there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
No problem. I run the 10 x 12 shooters cut in a Banshee. Just be aware that there is little play in the fit due to the plate pocket being designed for sapi cut, but I haven't ran into any problems other than having to pull the plate pocket flap up a little higher
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I run those plates in a Mayflower APC. Very happy with the setup.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SKD has the APC for pretty cheap. How do you like it?

I'll update this post after I get my 4SAS7's. FedEx changed the delivery date from today to "pending" this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Got my 3S9's today and very pleased. Will order more from them again as I have an IOTV that could also use some plates, I am think 4SAS7's.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'll update this post after I get my 4SAS7's. FedEx changed the delivery date from today to "pending" this afternoon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! I'll have the same set up!
the 3S9 were my preferred but I couldn't go that high now $$; and the AT are very sweet and light if you have a little more $$
Nice to see that are great choices in a decent/more affordable range... now if you have to spare, there are some insane 3 lbs/plates out there!
Cheers
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

the 3S9 were my preferred but I couldn't go that high now $$; and the AT are very sweet and light if you have a little more $$
Nice to see that are great choices in a decent/more affordable range... now if you have to spare, there are some insane 3 lbs/plates out there!
Cheers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Anyone come up with any good chest rigs for the 4sas7 multi curves?
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it a lot, ran a Eagle carrier before and the APC is so much easier to get in/out of, a lot lighter and still accommodates all the gear I want to run on it. The front/rear plate "pockets" are longer than the 4SAS7 10x12 plates I ordered, the 4SAS7 SAPI 10x13.25 plates or 11x14 would probably fill the pocket completely but there is an elastic piece with Velcro to hold the 10x12 plate securely in place.. they do not flop around you just loose an inch or two of coverage on the bottom of the p/c. This wasn't an issue to me for the added cost. SKD has pics of what I'm talking about.  I bought it a few years ago during one of SKD's sales. Sold the Eagle and it more than covered the cost of the APC.

Quoted:

Anyone come up with any good chest rigs for the 4sas7 multi curves?

I'm running 4SAS7 10x12 multi-curves in a Mayflower APC size L/XL
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Debating between the Banshee, First Spear STT, and Ferro Concepts FCPC.

No clue what to get.

*already have an SKD PIG*

Got my 4SAS7 10x12's
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Mine should be delivered today. Was hoping to order the APC today from SKD, but it's out of stock (multicam L/XL, both med and large cummerbunds). I think the medium would work but I don't know. I'll primarily use it at work over my internal Kevlar vest, and I've got a big ass chest...
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#40]
4sas-7 lg SAPI multicurve fit the APC L/XL nice. 10 Lbs a piece but for what I saved on the black friday deals I'll still be smiling while Im sweating and puking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
4sas-7 lg SAPI multicurve fit the APC L/XL nice. 10 Lbs a piece but for what I saved on the black friday deals I'll still be smiling while Im sweating and puking.
View Quote

I got the 10x12 ones and they're 7.2lb apiece. Don't feel too bad outside of the carrier... I went with the Velocity Scarab, hopefully it shows up tomorrow and not Friday as I have to work all weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top